The Art of Falling in Love

By pacificoceans

❝I never used to believe in soulmates, but now I find myself questioning every thought I once had about love... More

Author's Note
Summary
Character Aesthetics
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight

Chapter Thirty Three

336 10 0
By pacificoceans

Quand il me prend dans ses bras, il me parle tout bas, je vois la vie en rose.-Édith Paraf, La Vie en Rose

"Cam told me to give this to you," Noah hands me a small chocolate bar. "He says you'll know what it means."

I can't help but smile as I grab the small chocolate bar from Noah. Cam is too cute.

"Your brother is going to be a heartbreaker when he grows up," I muse. "He's already got the charm."

"It also helps that he's rich," Noah says, amused. "My dad and Mabel together make more than enough money."

"What do they do?"

"They work at a record label," Noah, now with a t-shirt on, walks down to the basement. "Mabel's a talent scout and my dad's one of the managers. It's where they met."

I follow him downstairs. "That explains a lot."

Noah flicks on the light and I catch his expression. He looks so blissful, an emotion I have never seen him wear before. His grin is soft and nostalgic while his hazel eyes glimmer with happiness.

In the basement is everything related to music: plaques, records, microphones, instruments, awards, photographs with celebrities and even a large soundboard.

I used to play piano when I was younger. I hadn't liked it at first; my parents had forced me into it, but now I wish I had stuck through it. The piano in the corner of the room had been flipped open, with sheets of incredibly difficult songs laid out on it. It would be nice to be able to play an instrument well.

"I'm not much of a musician, but I do love music," Noah says, admiring the room around him. "Dad sometimes gets a bunch of exclusive albums or demos from artists. It makes finding new music easy."

Noah sits down at the piano and begins playing an intricate piece that I recognize to be clair de la lune. The song progresses to become more heavenly and I can't help but marvel at his talent.

"You're not much of a musician?" I ask skeptically.

"There's a lot to compare to," Noah explains with a shrug. "I'm just a boy who's been learning piano since he was eight."

Noah gets up from the piano, putting away the mess of music and shutting the top. Noah makes his way to the computer and begins scrolling through the seemingly endless playlist. There are several playlists, all with uniquely beautiful titles.

Noah puts on a song and the familiar starting chord of "La Vie en Rose" by Édith Piaf begins playing.

"I love this song." I remark and begin to sing the French lyrics. Despite not even understanding the lyrics, I can tell they are beautiful.

"It's Mabel's favourite song, so my dad always has a version of it around the house."

"Is Mabel French?" I ask, remembering her accent.

"Yes, she helped a lot when I was going out with Amelia," a reminiscent smile appears on Noah's face. "That was the only time I ever really talked to her. I've only just recently began opening up again."

"I'm glad, she seems sweet."

Noah offers me a breathtaking smile. "Dance with me."

I wrap my arms around his neck. His hands find my waist as I lean against his chest, swaying to the gentle music. I had missed him.

The scent of vanilla and hazelnut lingers in the air. Noah has the softest smile; so gentle it makes my heart flutter. The way he is looking at me makes me believe in love.

"You're really beautiful," Noah whispers. "From the day I met you, I knew I was meant to be with you."

"I see where Cam gets his charm," I say with a grin. "Why has everything leading up to this moment been so complicated?"

"It wouldn't be love if it were simple."

"So this is love?"

Instead of answering, Noah holds me closer and hums along to the gentle French song.

When the song ends, Noah pulls away ever so slightly, staring longingly into my eyes. I feel myself entranced by him. When had I first fallen for this boy?

Noah leans down and presses his lips gently against mine.

I had been waiting for this kiss for longer than I had thought. I had kissed a few boys over the years, but none of them ever made me feel like this. It is passionate and soft yet lustful and amorous.

I feel myself melt into his embrace, savouring his touch and kiss. We move in unison, like a well practiced orchestra. My hands move from his neck to his hair, subconsciously pulling him closer. All I wanted was to be by his side. Too soon, he pulls away with a small, lopsided smile.

"Diana," he says in a soft voice. "I'm falling in love with you."

I pull him back down, meeting our lips once more. After we pull apart, I say, "I'm already there."

❀ ❀ ❀

"At least stay for dinner," Noah murmurs, playing with my hair as we lounge on the living room couch. "I'll miss you if you go."

"Yeah, don't go, Noah's happy now!" Reina exclaims cheerfully.

"You didn't even get to meet dad yet," Cam adds on.

"I have to go, my parents will start to wonder what's taking me so long," I reply with a laugh. "They think I'm at Alyce's."

"Fine, I'll see you at school then? I can't believe winter break is almost over," Noah sighs in defeat and stands up, before grabbing my hands and helping me up.

"Sounds good. Don't miss me too much."

Noah walks me to my car and leans down to kiss me, "Mabel says that you can come by any time. And Reina says that you're pretty. And Cam says to not break my heart."

"I could never."

"You don't know how much control you have over me, love," Noah says in a low voice. "You're the reason poetry exists."

Staring at him now, I thank God or whomever one may believe in for Noah Jackson. His name could be a prayer.

"Tell your dad that I'm sorry for dropping by without notice but that I'd love to meet him sometime."

Noah chuckles, "I'm sure he'd love to meet you, too. He's always asking me if there's 'anyone special' in my life."

"I hope you said yes."

"Love, I'd be lying if I said otherwise."

As I make my way to my car, I notice a red rose sitting on the roof of my car. I pick it up and twirl it in my hands, mesmerized by the fact that Noah still gives me roses whenever he can.

The drive home is quiet and nice. The stars had begun peeking past the clouds and the empty roads make the drive more enjoyable. The whole way back, all I can think about is the feeling of Noah kissing me.

I just can't believe Noah likes me back. It all feels so surreal. Noah Jackson is everything a girl ever wanted in a boy, and somehow I got him. I had been worried about his former love with Amelia, but tonight reassured me that I had nothing to worry about. He makes me feel special.

By the time I got back to my home, dinner was almost ready. My parents asked how Alyce's was, and I couldn't help the stupid smile that appeared on my lips.

It stayed there the whole night.

A/N: Daniela Andrade's version is beautiful too. It's in English if you want to hear English lyrics!

Roughly, the direct translation from the French verse above is: "when he holds/takes me in his arms, he speaks to me in a low voice, I see la vie en rose." (la vie en rose=life in pink. This alludes to viewing life through a rosy lens, ergo viewing life with bliss and love)

In English, this verse is changed to "When you kiss me, heaven sighs and though I close my eyes, I see la vie en rose." Just a little more insight for you guys on the song!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.3K 1.4K 43
She was rainbow bright and colorful He was the storm before it dark and gray She was the sun rising quietly into the day He was the moon shining brig...
402K 18.6K 22
"I'd always liked my life. It was quiet, under control, and routine. Then he came along and showed me how much more there was, how much more I was." ...
56.7K 1.7K 35
"So you think I can't have boyfriend?" I narrowed my eyes at him. "Nope. And do you know why?" He asked. "Why?" "Because you're sour like an acid."...
95 0 27
A story of growth. A story of friendship. A story of love. Also a story of constant clichés and some slightly-unbelievable-situations, but that's fin...