Haven Harbor • a.i. •

Per cliffordpunkrock

"Being in love with Carter was the most beautiful and horrible thing at the same time; because I knew if I to... Més

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100

Chapter 43

745 29 3
Per cliffordpunkrock

"I still can't believe you're getting another kid. It's like you're going to be a parent." Ari said as she placed a bottle of apple juice in the fridge.

"I know. It's so weird, it's almost like it's hit me but it really hasn't, and I don't think it will until she gets here." I spoke while unloading another grocery sack.

"What time is she getting here?" She asked.

"Noon." I answered.

Today was the day.

The past two weeks had literally flown by. Ari had been helping me the whole two weeks making space in the house for Gracie. We cleaned out all of the clothes bags from my closet and took them to the resale shop so hopefully I would get a little cash.

Australian Social Services had come out to do a house inspection and also do background checks on me, Ender, Ari, Jason, and Ashton.

We also went out and bought a car seat for Ashton's jeep, a little bed for her when we found a place to put it, and made trips to the grocery store to get things we thought she'd like.

"What if we moved the dresser on the wall beside your bed, closer to the door, and put the bed between there and the dresser?" She thought aloud.

"We'd have to turn it to the side so that it was against the wall."

"It could work?" She shrugged.

"I'll figure it out in a bit. I need to get some other things done."

"Alright, well i'm going to go. Call me tonight and tell me how it goes and let Jason and I know when we can come by and meet her."

"Of course. Thank you for all of your help this week." I gave her a tight hug.

"Anything for you, Car." She smiled and waved as she left.

Ender was outside in the shop checking the email and came in a few minutes later with a few new safety forms sent out by the coastguard for me to sign, and a upgrade on our radio system for the boat.

"Hey End, help me figure out where to put this bed." I told him and headed to my room.

"We could put it against the wall but that leaves like no room left in here." I crossed my arms as I thought.

"What if she stayed in mom and dads room?" He asked.

"I don't think that's the best idea. We never go in there and I'd rather her be in my room and I sleep in there than the other way around."

"Well we can put the bed in my room, there's a spot for it against the wall."

"Yeah, but you know I don't want to make you share your room." I sat down on the floor, trying to think of the best alternative.

The squeaking sound of the front door opening made my head raise up, until I realized it was Ashton arriving.

It was only ten in the morning and my day was already so chaotic that I had almost forgotten my boyfriend was coming back today.

"We're upstairs!" Ender called down to him and I heard his footsteps and then he entered the room.

Suddenly all of the worry, anxiety, and fear of today faded away.

"Hey." He grinned at Ender and I. "How you guys feeling?"

"Excited." Ender answered at the same time that I said "Nervous."

"Well i'm sure everything is going to go great. Need any help?" He asked, setting his suitcase to the side.

"Just get your things put away and we should be all set." I answered, trying to focus back on the bed situation. 

Ender left to go downstairs and Ashton came up behind me, crouching down and wrapping his arms around my shoulders. I leaned my head back and he pressed his lips against mine.

"I missed you." I said against his lips.

"I missed you too." He kissed me again. "Today's going to be amazing, Carter. I promise you."

"I believe you. I'm excited to meet her, but I'm still nervous."

"It's understandable. But she's probably more scared than you are."

"I know. I just want this to be a good home for her."

"I have no doubt it will be." He smiled and I gave him one more kiss.

"Now go unpack, she'll be here soon." I gave him a cheeky smile and he let me go, going for his bag.

"Do you think she will be okay sleeping downstairs?" I asked Ashton who was putting his now empty suitcase in the closet.

"I think she'll be fine." He answered.

"Really?" I bit my lip, now second guessing everything.

"Yes, Carter. We will be able to hear her if she needs anything." He brought me into a hug and I pressed my cheek to his chest. "Let's go downstairs and wait."

He held my hand as we walked down stairs and took a seat at the bar. Ender put Bear on his leash so that he wouldn't jump when they got here. We didn't want to scare Gracie anymore than she already was.

The thirty minutes we sat there was torture. I was literally bouncing in my seat with anticipation and also nervousness.

So when the knock on the door finally arrived, my head snapped up and Ashton placed a reassuring hand on my back.

"I'll get the door." Ender said and Ashton and I got out of our chairs, standing towards the stairs between the kitchen and the living room.

Ender opened the door and two people stood there: one with a smile on their face, one with their thumb in their mouth.

Gracie was beautiful. She had dark brown hair that was slightly curled and went down a little past her collar bones, matching eyes, and soft creamy skin. Her eyes were looking at me like I was looking at her: scared.

"I'm Ender, Halle's brother. Come on in." Ender introduced himself and the woman who had to be Holly Baker. Holly was a tall blonde woman who was extremely fair skinned. Her eyes were bright blue and she wore a cream pant suit.

Holly was holding Gracie's hand and slowly walked her into the house, her thumb never leaving her mouth.

"Gracie, would you like to meet your family?" Holly asked her and Gracie didn't even move, just kept her eyes on me.

I looked up to Ashton who was looking at Gracie as well, but when he saw me he moved his gaze to me and gave me a nod of assurance. I stepped forward a few feet until I was right in front of her and crouched down to her level.

"Hi, Gracie. I'm Halle but you can call me Carter, or Car." I said with a soft smile but again she just watched me with no emotion.

"That's Ender, he's my little brother, and your cousin. And that's Ashton, my boyfriend." I continued. "We are excited for you to be here."

Gracie removed her thumb from her mouth and looked up at Holly.

"Gracie do you want to tell them hello?" Holly asked and Gracie just looked back at me and put her thumb back between her lips.

"She's a bit shy but I'm sure she'll warm up to you in a bit." Holly smiled at me.

"Uh, Ender, why don't you introduce Gracie to Bear." I suggested and he nodded eagerly.

He went to the living room where Bear was curled up on the floor with his leash next to him. Ender picked up his leash and walked him over, Gracie's eyes widening.

"This is Bear. He's our dog." Ender grinned and I waited with baited breath to see how she would react.

Gracie dropped Holly's hand and tentatively reached out to Bear who began to sniff at her her for a second and then licked the back of her hand.

Everyone let out a little laugh besides Gracie and she moved her hand back to her side.

"Ashton, Halle, may I have a word?" Holly asked and I stood up and made my way towards her. Gracie stood off to the side of her, staring at Bear and Ender.

Ashton came up next to me as we walked a few feet back into the kitchen.

Holly pulled the black leather bag from her shoulder and zipped it open to reveal a file which she handed me.

"This has all of Gracie's personal information, her weight, height, birthday, things like that. Also it has her medical records and lists of things she's allergic to."

"Oh, that's great." I said and took the file from her.

"I'm sorry she doesn't talk much, the home where she stayed said she didn't talk for the first few days but she warmed up to one of the kids eventually." Holly explained and I nodded.

"Now, I have some paperwork for you to sign."

She pulled out another thick folder with highlighted places for me to sign, initial and date.

"Okay, that should be it. I have a suitcase in my car with her things and then she'll be yours." Holly smiled.

Holly took Gracie to go get her things and we waited for them to come back.

"She doesn't talk much." Ender commented.

"She's scared, mate. She'll talk eventually, just give her time to get to know us." Ashton patted his head reassuringly.

"She's gorgeous." I breathed.

"You can tell you're related." Ashton turned his head towards me and smiled.

I reached out my hand and he took it in his, giving it a squeeze.

Holly and Gracie came back with a medium sized suitcase and a white stuffed rabbit in Gracie's hand.

"Alright, we're all set, she's yours." Holly passed off the suitcase to Ashton.

"Thank you." I smiled.

"Call me if you have any more questions. I hope all goes well."

"Bye Gracie." Holly leaned down and gave Gracie a hug which Gracie actually reciprocated and then waved before she left, officially leaving Gracie to me.

Gracie stood awkwardly in the doorway, staring at us all with an absolutely petrified look, just like me.

"Why don't I take Gracie's bag upstairs." Ashton suggested and I nodded silently.

I had to get it together. She was never going to warm up to me if I kept ogling her like she was a diamond ring.

"Let's take a little tour of the house." I smiled at her.

"So this is the kitchen and the living room." I used my hand to showcase the area around me. "That's the pantry and the laundry room is over there."

I took a few steps to the living room and she followed quietly.

"This door here was my parents room. They died a few years ago so we don't really go in here." I bit my lip as I talked and she glanced at the door before returning her eyes back to mine.

"For now, you are going to sleep on the sofa until I figure out a better sleeping situation. But it's really comfy, and we'll make it all nice for you." I smiled timidly at her and she just looked fixedly at the sofa.

I took her outside and showed her the shop and then the boat to which her eyes widened even more.

Back inside Ashton was waiting for us and we made our way upstairs.

"This is my room." Ender said and led us to his navy blue painted room. "Bear sleeps in here with me too."

We left his space and moved back towards the stairs since my room was right at the top.

"This is my room, and also now your room." I smiled at Gracie and we walked inside. Her eyes flitted around the room as she took it all in.

"There's a drawer right here where we can put your clothes and also in the closet." I showed her around. "Next door is the bathroom so if you need it you know where to go."

She moved her thumb back to her mouth and I glanced nervously at Ashton who just gave me a little smile.

"Why don't we go show Gracie around town and pick up something for dinner?" Ashton suggested.

"That sounds like a good idea. End, why don't you grab the car seat from the living room and I'll get Gracie and we'll meet at the car."

Ender went to go get the car seat while Gracie stood next to the bed in my room while I grabbed my phone and wallet.

She followed me downstairs and Ashton did as well, taking his keys. I locked up the house and we made our way to the car lot, Gracie walking between us.

Ashton pulled his sunglasses over his eyes and pulled a beanie from his back pocket and slung it over his head.

When we got to the jeep, Ashton unlocked it for Ender and began to put in the car seat.

"End, help me with this side." Ashton said and Ender hopped in the back to assist while I stood to the side with Gracie.

Once the car seat was in, I looked to Gracie carefully. I needed to pick her up to put her in the seat but I was afraid she'd not want me to.

"Uh, Gracie, can I help you go into your seat?" I asked her and she nodded at me which made me excited that she acknowledged me.

Gently I picked her up and carried her around to the seat, where I set her down. Ashton buckled her in and Ender joined her in the backseat.

We drove throughout Haven, showing her places like the school, the beach, and then Main Street.

Ashton parked in front of the grocery store and I got out, opening the door for Ender and Ashton opened Gracie's door, unbuckling her car seat.

"Is it okay if I pick you up?" He asked her softly and she nodded. He carefully put his hands under her arms and lifted her from the car, placing her on the ground.

Inside I grabbed a cart and Gracie followed alongside me closely.

"Okay Gracie, why don't you pick out some things you like." I suggested and watched as she looked around the isles before walking over to the produce section and stopping in front of the strawberries.

"Do you like strawberries?" I asked her and she nodded so I grabbed a box and set it in the cart.

"Ender, what do you want for dinner?" I asked him and he thought for a moment.

"You can make spaghetti?" He asked and I turned to Gracie.

"Do you like spaghetti?" I asked and she nodded yes again.

"Okay, End, can you go get me a box of pasta, and Ash can you go grab a jar of tomato sauce."

I sent them off to get the items while Gracie stayed with me while I walked around produce getting garlic, onion, and then cheese.

"Can we get ice cream for dessert?" Ender asked.

"Sure." I smiled and made my way to the freezer section.

Ashton grabbed a small carton of chocolate and  Ender took a cookies and cream.

"You can pick whichever one you like, Gracie." I pointed at the freezer full of ice cream and she stared at the glass before going to the door and opening it, choosing a strawberry cheesecake flavour.

Grinning happily, I chose a mint chocolate chip one for myself and then we all made our way to the checkout line.

Ender and Ashton carried the bags and put them in the floorboard of the back seat while I buckled up Gracie.

Once we arrived back at the house I took Gracie upstairs and helped her unpack her things into one of the drawers and hung her clothes on the bottom bar in the closet.

Her clothes were mostly suited for colder weather since there were a lot of long sleeves and coats.

"It's a little warmer here in Australia than London, so we can go get you some more clothes this week." I explained to her and she nodded.

"I like these shoes." I held up a pair of shiny black rain boots.

She took them in her hands and placed them in the closet underneath her hanging clothes.

"We'll put your suitcase in the attic later. Let's go downstairs and start dinner alright?"

Ender and Ashton were watching television on the sofa and Bear was playing with a squeaky toy on the floor.

"Okay I'm starting dinner, Ender, why don't you and Gracie take Bear for a walk?"

"Good idea." Ashton whispered as he came up next to me.

"Okay!" Ender grinned. "Come on, Gracie!"

Ender hooked up Bear to his leash and Gracie followed Ender out the front door, her thumb making its way back into her mouth.

The moment the door closed I let out a loud breath and Ashton pulled me into his embrace.

"Hey, talk to me." Ashton spoke softly into my ear.

"It's just like really real now and I'm kind of freaking out a bit. And I don't know if she likes me and I'm so scared of making the wrong move or saying something wrong around her."

"This is a totally different ball game than it was with Ender, it's not going to be the same way it was raising him. She's just going to have to get used to life here and with you. Give it more time, babe."

"Okay." I frowned a little then found a smile. "She let you pick her up though, that's good."

"I know, I was really happy." He admitted. "This is going to be great, I can feel it."

"Only as long as you're here." I said cheekily and leaned up to kiss him.

His hand went to my cheek and he moved his lips between mine beautifully.

"I'm sure she doesn't want to catch us making out when she gets back." I said when I took a breath and he laughed.

"One more kiss." He leaned down and pressed his lips to mine and then pulled away.

I went to the cabinet and grabbed a pan and a pot, heating up both so I could start cooking.

When dinner was almost done, Ashton called Ender and Gracie back inside and they came back, Bear in tow.

"Wash your hands and then take a seat." I said as they walked back inside.

Ender let Bear off the leash who went straight to his food bowl and then went to wash his hands. Gracie stood behind him and I watched as he helped her reach the sink.

Ashton found the cups in the cupboard and made a glass of water for everyone.

"Ender plates please." I instructed him and he did as he was told, setting them on the counter.

"Gracie, do you want help getting into your chair?" Ashton bent down beside her.

She nodded and he picked her up and set her in the chair next to mine.

I made everyone's plate and set them on the counter, making sure to cut Gracie's noodles in smaller pieces.

I took the seat next to Gracie and Ender took the one between her and Ashton.

We ate quietly except for Ender who was very chatty and was telling Gracie all about his footie team, his friends, his comic book collection, the story of his Birthday and when he got Bear.

He talked our ears off the entirety of dinner and I looked to Ashton who just shook his head and laughed.

After we were finished I took everyones plate and began to clean up.

"Hey, why don't you two change into your pyjamas and we can watch a movie while we eat our ice cream." I suggested.

Ender went upstairs first and Gracie followed.

I began washing dishes until a few minutes later Ashton cleared his throat behind me.

"Uh, Car."

I turned around to see Ashton nodding towards Gracie who was standing at the bottom of the stairs with her pyjamas in her hand.

"Do you need help?" I asked her and she nodded.

"I got the dishes." Ashton came up behind me and took my place while I dried off my hands.

"Okay let's go get changed." I smiled at her and led her up to my room where I helped her get into her blue and white plaid pyjamas.

She grabbed her stuffed bunny from the floor and took it back to the living room with her.

"Gracie, do you want to pick the movie?" Ender asked and she joined him at the television stand, looking at all of the movies we had. She reached in and pulled out the Frozen movie.

"Cool." Ender smiled. "I have a stuffed Olaf, wanna see?" He asked and she nodded so he ran up to get his toy.

Ashton went to get the ice cream and spoons while I got the blankets and made up Gracie's bed.

"Is this okay?" I asked her and she climbed up onto the part of the sofa that I had covered for her and pulled her bunny into her lap.

Taking that as a yes, I sat down next to her and Ashton came by to hand us our ice creams.

Ender came down with his Olaf and showed Gracie.

"He can sit next to you if you want?" He offered and placed the stuffed snowman beside her.

Ender put in the DVD and turned out the lights and the movie started. I kept checking on Gracie out of the corner of my eye throughout the movie until one time I glanced over and she was passed out asleep. Standing up, I took everyone's empty cartons and carefully took hers that was leaned against her.

After I threw them away I came back and took another blanket from the closet, covering her up.

Ender's eyes were drooping as well so I sent him upstairs to go to bed.

Ashton turned off the movie and offered to go tuck Ender in for me so I decided to grab a seat at the bar and look through the file that Holly had given me.

Parker Grace Young. Born December 13. Her mother Abby Young had passed away of advanced pneumonia at the age of 20 and the father was never recorded on Gracie's birth certificate.

So Abby had had Gracie at 16...wow.

I started in on her medical records, looking at when her last doctors and dentist appointments were and taking a note pad from the drawer to start making a list of things I needed to do such as get her on our insurance plan and set her up with our doctors.

The only things she was allergic to was bug bites so I was glad about that.

I wrote down a few more reminders on the list and then shut the folder, setting in on the counter by the bill holder.

I heard the shower running upstairs and assumed Ashton was taking a shower. Turning off the kitchen light, I checked on Gracie who was still asleep and then went upstairs.

I picked up her little pile of clothes on the floor and placed them in the laundry basket, then found clothes for myself.

Quickly I changed and Ashton came back in as I was leaving to go brush my teeth.

When I was done I came back to find him already in bed. I slipped underneath the covers and turned on my side so I could face him.

"Okay. Gracie is freaking adorable." Ashton spoke and I laughed.

"I know. She's so cute, and sweet, and...just wow." I sighed in awe.

"Do you feel better about everything?" He asked.

"Yeah, I do. Thank you." I smiled softly and he leaned down to give me a gentle kiss.

"Night, baby." He said against my mouth.

"Night." I puckered up my lips to his once more and then reclined back into the mattress.

All of the adrenaline of today had been too much for me and I was exhausted.

But even though Gracie had only been here for half a day, I knew that all of the stress, fear, and reality was worth it, because that little girl was now mine, and I was going to love her like she was my own.

--

She's here! haha

I'm so glad to be able to introduce Gracie into the story and I hope you come to love her as much as I have!

As always, vote and comment if you'd like and I'll have the next chapter up tomorrow!

much love xx -M

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

17.2K 1.1K 68
Laura is a broken girl, she has no family and is in an abusive relationship. When she runs away to stay with Ashton Irwin it quickly becomes clear th...
8.1K 153 16
When a teenager's parents divorce, she moves to Australia with her mother while her twin sister and little brother live with her father, whom she hat...
13.9K 215 36
Jasmine Irwin was stuck in an abusive relationship. Her brother Ashton found out, and so did her brothers best friend... Luke. Jasmine knows she hate...
156K 4.8K 52
Ally hasn't seen Michael in a year. And they are about to meet again. Will the feelings they had for each other spark into another relationship after...