Haven Harbor • a.i. •

By cliffordpunkrock

"Being in love with Carter was the most beautiful and horrible thing at the same time; because I knew if I to... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100

Chapter 42

685 20 2
By cliffordpunkrock

"Call them now!" Ender beamed like he'd just won a million dollars as I pulled out my phone.

"Alright." I swatted his hands away from my phone and dialled back Holly Bakers number.

"Hello?" She answered quickly.

"Hi Holly, this is Halle Chase."

"Oh Halle! Did you have a question for me?"

"I do, but uh, we've decided to take Gracie in."

Ender was bouncing in his seat next to me.

"Oh, that's great!"

"Yes." I smiled softly. " I have a lot of questions though."

"Good, I'll help you out the best I can."

"Thank you. So when would she be moving in with us?"

"Two weeks." She replied.

"Alright, is there anything I need to know about her, any medical issues or problems?"

"No, she's a perfectly healthy little girl."

"Great."

"Do you have any more questions?"

"Not at the moment but I'll call you if I do."

"Great. Well I'll start on her paperwork and we will see you in two weeks."

"Okay. Thank you Holly."

"Have a nice day."

When I hung up everyone was staring at me expectantly, waiting for what I had to say.

"She is a healthy four year old and she'll be here in two weeks." I said, a smile playing on my lips.

"Yes!" Ender cheered and I laughed lightly.

I may have been smiling on the outside but I was freaking out on the inside.

"I'm gonna go take a shower while you three decide on what you want for dinner." I said as I hopped down from the stool, pet Bear on the head, and then sauntered upstairs.

I turned on the shower and got right in, hoping that maybe the water would wash away my worries, but it didn't.

I was probably going to have to take on another job. And Gracie wouldn't be old enough to go into school so I'd have to find a daycare for her when I found another job.

This was another person to buy groceries for, toys for, doctors appointments, dentist appointments. Next year would be school supplies and clothes, and I'd have to figure out how to get her there if she didn't know how to ride a bike.

And where was she going to sleep? I couldn't kick Ender out of his room, but I didn't want to move into my parents room so that would be a trick.

I was in way over my head.

I pressed my back to the wall and slid down so that I was sitting on the shower floor, the water hitting my knees.

What if she didn't like me? What if she hated it here?

How was I going to raise an eleven year old and a four year old all on my own?

"Carter?" I heard my name and my head snapped up to see Ashton's silhouette through the shower curtain.

"Sorry, I knocked but you didn't answer. Are you okay?" He asked.

"No." I croaked out.

"Do you mind if I..." He trailed off and I said yes.

Slowly he pulled back the curtain, a towel in hand and a concerned look on his face.

"Baby." He frowned and handed me the towel. I wrapped it around me and took the hand he was offering me.

He shut off the water while I adjusted my towel.

"Let's get you dressed." He led me back to my room and rummaged through my drawers for some underwear, sweatpants, a bra and a tee.

Politely, he turned away while I changed and joined me on the bed once he heard me sit down.

"You wanna talk about it?" He asked.

"I don't know how I'm going to do this." I shrugged slightly. "It's hard enough with just me and Ender, and now there's going to be another mouth to feed, another person to buy clothes for, another person to get in school and take to doctors appointments and buy birthday and Christmas presents for...I don't even know where she's going to sleep."

Our backs were to the wall underneath the window and his arm was across my shoulders, my head leaning on his chest.

"You don't have to do this alone." He said softly. "I want to help you."

"Ashton, I can't do the whole paying for my bills thing now." I sighed.

"That's not what I meant." He nudged my head with his nose. "I want to help you in any way you want me to."

"Okay." I whispered and closed my eyes.

"Am I in way over my head?"

"You're going to be okay. Everything always has a way of working out."

"Yeah." I breathed.

"I have faith in you, Car. You're going to be a great guardian to that little girl."

"I hope so."

We stayed like that for a little while longer until he convinced me to get up so we could go downstairs to eat.

"Did you decide what you wanted for dinner?" Ashton asked Ender and he perked up from his spot on the sofa where he was watching tele with Calum.

"Oh yeah, can we have tacos?"

"Sure. I'll get started." I smiled and made my way to the kitchen to find all of the ingredients I needed to start on dinner.

"Ender, come help me please." I called him over from the sofa and he obliged.

"Ash, Michael's on the phone." Calum stood up and started walking to the door.

"I'll be right back." Ashton squeezed my hip and followed Calum outside.

--

Ashtons P.o.V.

"We need to talk." Calum said and dialed Michaels number.

"Look man I know-"

"No! You don't know! This has gone too far!" Calum snapped at me and hit the speaker button.

"Yeah?" Michael asked.

"Is Luke in the room?" Calum sighed.

"Yeah?" Michael questioned.

"You both need to hear this." Calum said and I ran a distressed hand through my hair.

"What is it?" Luke asked and I felt horrible.

"So Carter is getting another kid. Her cousin died and Carter is the only family left." Calum said.

"Dude." Michael said forcefully. "You gotta tell her now."

"I can't tell her now! If I tell her she's going to flip out. I can't do that to her at a time like this." I exclaimed.

"How old is the kid?" Luke asked.

"It's a four year old girl." I answered.

I heard Luke exhale.

"Ashton, you are digging yourself an even bigger hole." Luke said carefully.

"Just let Gracie get here and get settled and then I'll tell her. Now is not the right time, trust me." I tried to explain.

"Gracie?" Michael asked.

"That's the little girls name." I sighed. "Guys, just bear with me a little longer. I can't do that do her right now."

"You know what this means now though. If she does end up coming to tour with us you're going to be like these kids dad, they're going to be part of your responsibility. Are you ready for that?" Calum asked.

"I am." I confirmed and he shook his head.

"Whatever, I think you're making a mistake by not telling her." Luke said.

"I know that. But I have to do what's  best for Carter and Ender, and right now, telling them who I am isn't it." I said, knowing full well that when I finally did have to tell her, the fallout was going to be even more catastrophic then I had planned.

--

Okay, heres a quick little chapter and I'll have the next one up soon!

Vote and comment as always! Much love xx -M

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

305 31 8
"We're going to Australia." "Seriously?" Delilah is shocked that she is going to Australia for one of her dad's business trip. For the short month...
20.8K 514 43
17 year old Rebecca Hayes finds out she's adopted and tryes to find her birth parents. On her little journey she finds out she has a brother who is i...
8.1K 153 16
When a teenager's parents divorce, she moves to Australia with her mother while her twin sister and little brother live with her father, whom she hat...
841 70 36
It's summer and all I wanted to do is spend my days at the camp. Except that my cousin - who I haven't even met yet - decided to get married and I wa...