The Huntress

By lostinWonders

What do you do when your best friend betrays you in the worst way possible? How do you come to terms with the... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
SEQUEL
NOTICE!!!!!!
Serious question time
Character sketches by me
Fun News Time!

Prologue & Chapter 1

5K 59 12
By lostinWonders

Prologue

You know...I actually thought I could have it all. Laugh. At least, that's what I was told.

Never in a milion years did I think I'd end up here, staring at this wretched place...but here I am. It's hard to think that I lost everything I was fighting for. I wish I could forget it all, just go back to the beginning and change the discussion back in that little cabin. Or to just not go to that party, that was also to blame. If I hadn't gone they'd still be here, I wouldn't have been at that cabin, and I'd never have been cursed.

Yes, right, I would rather to have never met the one person that changed my entire life just so I don't have to feel this way. Of course, then I would never have met him. After everything that happened to me he was the one that gave me purpose and now...well, now memory is my curse. I will always remember the pain I have caused for those around me. All the blood that's been spilt is now on my hands...all because I couldn't tell my best friend that he was wrong. I wish I could go back and...

Sadly I can't, that moment was what started all this for me.

Because, if it didn't, my story would probably consist of powder and fluff. And, for me, surviving this will be my greatest battle.

Who am I?

I'm Skylar.

Chapter 1

Standing at the entrance, I held my breath. I wasn't sure if I was ready for this just yet. I had been prepared for this moment my entire life by my own parents and the family etiquette trainer. This was the sort of thing all young girls dreamed of. Yet, walking through that set of doors terrified me.

What if they took one look at me and decided I wasn't good enough to stay? What would happen if they thought I wasn't pretty enough to be near them?

I looked down at the fine silk of my dress. The family seamstress, Roberta, a delightful little elf, had finished the masterpiece only moments before I had to put it on. I had fallen in love with it the very second she let me see it. The emerald hue cascaded from my shoulders, down my arms, past my waist, and flowed around my ankles. A black corset-like bodice was the only thing that seemed to visually disrupt it from a distance. Up close fine, but very intricate, designs graced the full skirt. In that small moment I got to see it in the mirror, I almost didn't recognize myself. It was a work of pure genius.

One of the Guards at the door cleared his throat and I looked over at him.

"You must go in ma'am or you must leave." he said, looking unsure for a moment.

"Sorry. I will enter." I said, swallowing as they opened the doors and I hesitantly stepped inside.

I walked over to the announcer and whispered my name to him. He proclaimed my presence and those inside turned to look at me. At first, nothing happened. They all just stared. I was just about to believe my worst imaginings when the young man at the bottom of the stair walked up toward me, bowed slightly, and held out his arm for me. I smiled and gave a slight bow before gingerly took his arm.

"You look beautiful tonight Skylar. Maybe that's why your parents gave you that name." I looked up to realize it was Fredrick, once a young boy in my village who'd been a close friend, was smiling as he walked me over toward the King and Queen.

I looked ahead again and tried to keep a straight face. It was imperative to making a good impression for the Royals. "I did not know you would be here." I said through my teeth, a trick to make it seem like I'd never even spoken.

He chuckled low in his throat as we came to a halt before the Royals. This ball had been planned for the Prince to find a wife, the whole kingdom knew that. All eligible young ladies had been ordered to attend, even though I would have come anyway. Due to my parent's social standing.

We bowed for them and Fredrick left after the king gave him a very pointed look. The three of them - the King, Queen, and Prince Edmund - smiled as King Charles rose to his feet. I took that as my sue to bow again only to receive a "tsk"ing noise.

I straightened to my full height, thanks to the heels my mother insisted on, and found I was looking into the eyes of a smiling King Charles. He took my hand and motioned his son forward.

"I am delighted to meet you, Skylar. Daughter of my old friend Ruben." he said, which received me an ecstatic smile from Her Majesty. "Son, would you please be the first to escort our friend in a dance."

The four of us knew it was not a request even in the slightest amount. Edmund nodded his head politely and held out his arm. I quickly took it and let him lead me out onto the dance floor. My dress flowed out behind us.

As we got into position for the dance to start, other couples quickly formed around us. To be completely honest, Edmund had always fascinated me. With his sailing around the world, going on adventures, taking risks most knights only dared to dream about. Sadly, with that fascination was also a bit of fear. This was a powerful man who had seen things that would send most girls running for their papa.

As the music started and we bowed, he seemed to notice my hesitation. He smiled as we started the dance. Typically, conversation was a large part of a dance like this. The slow tempo was designed for couples to learn about the other and ask questions about anything the mind came up with. The only thing was, I was afraid I would say something incredibly stupid so I kept my mouth shut.

This rewarded me a laugh from him.

"So, am I that terrifying or are you just shy?" he asked, smiling at me. "I think I'll go with the former...due to your silence. Unless you simply find me repulsive and wish not to anger me? Wait, I believe I know what it it. There is a man already here waiting for his turn to escort you to the dance floor...only he was too daft to ride with you out here."

At that I finally let out a small laugh. "My Lord, I am sorry to say that it is none of the above. I just did not know if you wanted to hear from a lowly peasant girl."

His easy smile immediately evaporated. "Our fathers are good friends, there is no possible way you could offend me unless you refuse to speak with me. I am humbled by my years at sea and, consequently, enjoy being around the 'peasants' as you so eloquently put it."

I glanced around us at the other couples twirling around us gracefully and realized we had stopped dancing. Edmund seemed to notice this around the same time and we quickly fell back into step with the others.

"Of course, I apologize for what I said." I said, looking right at my father.

"Do not fret, most think along the same lines you have." he said, and I knew I had done it again. I'd taken a good situation and ruined it with my foot-in-mouth syndrome.

I nodded and we finished the dance in silence. I bit my lip as we bowed to each other and heard the scurry of feet coming straight to us. I turned to see his parents had come to join us.

"Oh, how lovely you two were! I hope my son did not say anything to offend you, my dear. He seems to think all that time at sea gave him the right to speak in painful terms." Her Ladyship said, grabbing my hand.

I was shocked. Not only by her words, but the fact she had actually grabbed my hand and had left her position. Usually she and the king only moved to dance once or twice the entire evening. Or so I'd been told.

"Believe me. Your son has been quite the gentleman. I am afraid I might have offended him, though. Your Highness." I said, regretting that she saw our silence as something he had done.

We actually both did it.

"Nonsense. I simply took something she said the wrong way and..." Edmund said, his voice trailing off as he stared at something behind us.

I turned to see a beautiful woman standing at the top of the stairs. Her dress...I had thought mine was the most beautiful gown I had ever seen, but hers put it to shame. It was the exact color of a pearl and shone like a diamond. Her golden hair was piled intricately on the top of her head. The only color that seemed to stand out was the black band in her hair and sash around her waist.

She slowly made her descent down the stairs.

I felt an arm brush past me and saw Edmund's back as he walked to meet her at the bottom. Fredrick retreated once he saw the Prince headed straight for him, not wanting to get in the way.

Edmund bowed and held out his hand for her. A clear indication he wanted to dance with her and only her. Blushing she took the hand he offers and they floated onto the floor. Uncertainly, the band started a new song and they were dancing. They were the most graceful two in the room. I hadn't even noticed the king and queen had returned to their thrones and were whispering fervently to one another.

I made my way over to the wall where all the women who were lined up for their chance to dance with Prince Edmund. I almost laughed at them because I knew there was no real chance any of them would get the honor now. A few seemed to realize that and I could feel their glares. It wasn't my fault the king offered his son to dance with me first and then the stranger took his attention for the rest of the evening. How was I supposed to know that would happen? Oh well.

I watched as Edmund and the woman danced song after song together. They really made the perfect pair I smiled as I realized something. I knew that women. Her father and mine had been close before he died. We were young the last time I saw her, but the way she looked tonight...she hadn't looked for a long time. With the grime and dust no longer marring her face she looked almost like she did the last time I saw her. The only difference was that her features were older and less childlike. It was Ella...Cinderella as she was now called.

I almost went to tell her how I had missed her and wanted to ask how she convinced her stepmother to let her come when she rushed from the castle. Edmund was right behind her. He called for the guards when he rushed back in. A strange sense of panic filled the room as the Prince and his men went in search for her.

That night started it all, a massive search swept the kingdom as the Prince searched for Cinderella. The king himself sent a decree that the glass slipper she left on the staircase would be sent for every woman in each household to try on. They never came to my house because they knew exactly where I had been when she entered.

That didn't bother me though.

Eventually, he found her and their wedding had been grand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 284 50
Book one in The Dealer's Series. 'Cause this is the best deal that I have ever made.' ♤♤♤♤ Her- "I do what I do for the people I love." Blonde hair...
370 23 2
When Regina gives her heart to the wrong person on Christmas, she suffers a heartbreak that pushes her closer to her new friend, Robin Locksley. As C...
236K 11.7K 65
Trevor Jenkins, a reclusive individual, appeared to have everything he wanted in life as the only son of a millionaire. However, behind the picture-p...
1.8K 129 34
"You've seen him? The grey wolf?" Raine Swann has always been an outsider, now more than ever. Homeless and jobless in a strange town where people ar...