Playing For Keeps (Book 2 & 3)

By Stellar_Riot

Two people. One plan. A twist of fate. A not-so-typical modern day fairytale that can happen to two people wh... More

Book 2. Author's Note.
2. Chapter 1.
2. Chapter 2.
2. Chapter 3.
2. Chapter 4.
2. Chapter 5.
2. Chapter 6.
2. Chapter 7.
2. Chapter 8.
2. Chapter 9.
2. Chapter 10.
2. Chapter 11.
2. Chapter 12.
2. Chapter 13.
2. Chapter 14.
2. Chapter 15.
2. Chapter 16.
2. Chapter 17.
2. Chapter 19.
2. Chapter 20
Book 3. Every End is a New Beginning.
3. Chapter 1.
3. Chapter 2.
3. Chapter 3.
3. Chapter 4.
3. Chapter 5.
3. Chapter 6.
3. Chapter 7.
3. Chapter 8.
3. Chapter 9.
3. Chapter 10.
3. Chapter 11.
3. Chapter 12.
3. Chapter 13.
3. Chapter 14.
3. Chapter 15.
3. Chapter 16.
3. Chapter 18. - PART 1.
3. Chapter 17.

2. Chapter 18.

18.2K 150 40
By Stellar_Riot

"Everyone's number one need is acceptance and everyone's number one fear is rejection."

Alex woke up to the sound of his alarm clock blaring on his bedside table. He rolled out of bed and shook the sleep away. He stood up, let out a loud yawn while he stretched his arms upward. Then he pulled on his gear for the day – his black sleeveless shirt, basketball shorts, his gray hoodie and a pair of Nikes. Before leaving the room, he grabbed his phone and his headphones that were on top of his study table. He was welcomed by the scent of Manang Pilar's cooking as he entered the living room. They had a little chat while he chomped on a banana that he fished out from their fruit basket on the kitchen counter. After that, he made his way out.

The street was quiet. By the time Alex finished doing his warm up exercise, the sky had lightened from black to purple with pinkish streaks. For a moment, he took in the majestic sight before him as he breathed in the cool September air. The stillness of everything around him gave him that sense of calm that he's been longing for weeks now. It was perfect. He breathed out, kneeled down to tighten his shoe laces, secured his headphones in place and turned the music on. He pushed off and started to run. Alex allowed himself to be swallowed by the oblivion as he started to run through the deserted streets of The Fort. He was alone and there was nothing but the sound of Richard Ashcroft's voice singing to Bittersweet Symphony.  

Here in this zone, he couldn't think about the things between him and Drei that's been causing a stir in his mind for a few weeks now. He could let it go for now, setting it aside for later. In this zone, he couldn't obsess over and over again for ways on how he could fix this, if he could still fix it. Drei was slowly drifting away from him and if he'd let that happen, pretty soon things will never be the same again. And in this zone, he couldn't regret. Regret everything that's been said and done. He knew she was hurt and goddamn him for being an asshole for the nth time.

He ran past the NBC Tent and then the MC Home Depot. He pushed himself hard, until his heart pounded and he couldn't catch his breath. A few hours later, muscles quivering and sweat dripping endlessly on his body, he stopped. Panting as the sun beat down on him. It felt good. He cooled down by walking back to Two Serendra. And just as his heart rate returned to normal, the memory of him and Drei squabbling in the living room came rushing back at him. He sat himself down at the tropical garden, shut his eyes for a few minutes and pressed the bridge of his nose. Asshole, he thought to himself. He gave out a heavy sigh. It was all his fault. All his. This was what he wanted in the first place, to be there for her, to become her person, her support system and even convincing her to move in with him. But here he was ruining it all by letting his alter ego take over. He hurt her. Wrong move.

Alex returned home just in time before breakfast. After resting for a few minutes and taking a shower, he joined Drei, Manang Pilar and Matty at the dinner table for breakfast.  Today is Friday, the first Friday of September and the last day of the week.

"Good morning!" he greeted, then settled himself across Drei.

"Morning," Drei replied flatly, not even bothering to look at him.

They've been staying out of each other's way. The air between them was growing thick and crackling with unresolved issues. Things between them were getting stale as each day passes. Drei was becoming distant and there was something in him that said that this is how things are going to turn out for them if he won't figure out a way to fix it. Alex kept stealing glances at her hoping that she'd look his way. He felt like a little boy desperate for her attention. Eventually she did when he found himself unconsciously staring at her. They held each other's gaze for a fraction of seconds and Alex let out a shy smile while he searched her eyes for a hint of affection. But there wasn't any. Instead, Drei returned with a cold and distant stare that gave nothing away. She looked away.

The doorbell rang a few minutes after they just finished breakfast. Manang Pilar opened the door and there was Peter, who's been Drei's ride for almost a month already.  For the first time in his life, Alex recognized a familiar emotion that came over him as he sat there and watched Drei's face lighting up when Peter stepped in. He saw the eagerness and excitement in her eyes that he suddenly longed for. He finally had a name for this weird emotion. Jealousy. He was jealous of the affection and the time that Drei has been giving Peter. He was jealous because it could have been him.

"O ready ka na?" Peter asked Drei.

"Yup, kanina pa actually, but were just waiting for Matty to finish up," she told him.

Then Peter turned to Alex. "Hi, Lex!"

"Pete!" he gave him a tight-lipped smile. "Musta na?"

"Eto okay lang..." he answered casually.

Alex then grabbed the newspaper beside him to divert his attention. The two continued to chat and he tried so hard not to listen. Then Matty stood up to brush his teeth and fix his things. He was squirming in his seat and controlling himself from the possibility of an outburst. He reminded himself that this guy is Mickey's cousin.

"O, Matty, wag mo kalimutan magpalit ng tshirt pagkatapos ng P.E niyo mamaya," Drei reminded her son when he returned at the table with his backpack with him. "Nandiyan na yung towel mo at yung water mo sa bag, pati na din yung lunch mo, okay?"

"Yes, Mom!" he replied, taking a mental note of Drei's reminders. Then he gave Drei a kiss on the cheek. "Bye, Mom," and then he bent down and gave her tummy a kiss. "Bye, Zooey, alis na si Kuya...ingat kayo ni Mom mamaya.." And then he and Alex left.

They were driving through Forbes Park when Matty turned to his direction.

"Daddy Alex," he called out softly.

"Mmm?"

"Pwde mag tanong?"

Alex glanced at him and he saw that the boy was staring straight right at him. "Oo naman, why? Ano tanong mo?"

"Hindi ba kayo nag uusap ni Mom?" he continued.

"Bakit mo naman natanong yan?"

"Wala lang," Matty shrugged, eyeing him closely. "Napapansin ko lang, kasi ang tipid ninyong dalawa magsalita. Nag away kayo ano?" His voice was playful and teasing. "Saka, matagal na kayo nag aaway ano?"

"What?" Alex narrowed his eyes. "Ano sinabi mo?"

"Sabi ko nag aaway kayo ni Mom," he repeated. "Kasi hindi na siya sumasama sa'yo, si Tito Peter na palagi niya kasama, tapos hindi na kayo sabay umuwi pag gabi..." And the details Matty was revealing suddenly amazed him. "Nag-aaway kayo ano?" he repeated once more. "Bakit kayo nag away?" he dropped another question.

"Ikaw Matty," Alex was taken off guard. "Napaka showbiz mo talaga! Kung ano ano naiisip mo eh!"

Matty chuckled. "Sinasabi ko lang naman yung napapansin ko ah!" he said in his defence. "Hindi mo naman sinasagot yung tanong ko eh... siguro totoo ano?"

Alex was too stunned to even think about a good reason to get himself out of this sticky one-on-one with this boy. "Ikaw talaga! Masyado ka!"

The boy just laughed at him like he knew that he was denying and avoiding the questions being thrown at him. Alex, then, shifted their topic by asking him about stuff in school. According to Matty, school was fine and they're about to start with their second grading exams by next week. After a couple of minutes, they arrived at the gates of Matty's school in Makati.

"So wala ka ng nakalimutan ha?" Alex checked.

"Nope!" Matty answered. "Andito na po lahat!"

"Have fun today, okay?" he said and Matty nodded. "I'll see you later!"

Matty unbuckled his seatbelt and then he looked at Alex. "Daddy Alex, talk to Mom," he advised. "You just have to tell her that you're sorry..."

"How sure are you?" Alex gave him a quizzical look.

"Basta, talk to her and tell her you're sorry," he said. "That's what I do whenever nagagalit na siya sa akin..."

Alex just stared at him, a little blown away. "I'll take note of that... sige na baka ma late ka pa, ingat ha!"

"Okay, bye!" Then he got out of the car.

He didn't expect these revelations coming from Matty. Sure they've been giving each other the cold shoulder for a month now and the both of them made sure that they'll be civil towards each other whenever Matty is around. But then again, they got so caught up with their scheme on how to avoid each other that they both underestimated the fact that kids are highly perceptive and often know much more than we give them credit for. They always are. Matty was the living proof and now he made sure that he never forgets that.

"Kasi gago ka!" Yohan stated matter-of-factly right into Alex's face. Then he took a sip of his beer. He narrowed his eyes on his bestfriend who was leaning on their balcony railing facing him. Alex kept mum. "Bakit ka ba ganyan, bro? Alam mo naman na buntis yung tao, tas gaganyanin mo pa!"

Alex took in his bestfriend's litany of curses and never ending preaching about his unacceptable behavior. Just last week he was obsessing over how to fix things between them but then again, he just ended up screwing it up all over again. Earlier, he and Drei got into another bickering fest before he ended up where he is right now. If there's one consolation he has right now, it's the fact that he was glad that Matty wasn't around to see them getting into each other's nerves again.

"Ano ba pakialam mo, Alex, ha?" Drei told him after they finished another heated argument. "Sa pagkakaalam ko it's never your business kung anong oras ako umuwi at kung sino kasama ko..."

It was a Thursday night when Drei came home late. Matty got picked up by Anton's brother, Tope right after school, because they were taking him out to dinner with the rest of Anton's family. Manang Pilar took the day off and went to visit her sister in Marikina but promised to return before midnight.  There was no one home but only them.

Alex gave her an icy stare. "Bakit kasi parati na lang si Peter kasama mo ha?"

"Eh ano ngayon kung kasama ko siya, aber?"

He cursed under his breath and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Because I'm jealous!" he blurted out. There was a stunned beat of silence. Drei stared up at him, a little blown away by the intensity of his words and the fierceness of Alex's expression. Finally acknowledging this emotion that was running through him, Alex surprised himself too.

"Si Peter?" she snorted. "Pati si Peter dinadamay mo na ngayon? Ganyan na ba ka kitid ang utak mo, ha, Alex? He's gay for crying out loud!" Then she massaged her temple.

"I'm jealous because you'd rather be with him than be with me..."  He felt his heart beat racing now. "You've been shutting me out when I'm busting my ass here to get your attention..." he was referring to the number of times he showed up at her office hoping that they'd have lunch together. "Mas na appreciate mo pa yung mga ginagawa ni Peter kesa sa mga ginagawa ko para sa'yo..."

"Kasi napaka selfish mo, Alex!" she fired at him. "If I was shutting you out that's because you've been shutting me out too! I was just giving you a dose of your own medicine." And her words pierced right through him. "You said you'll be there for me, but it seems the other way around..." Drei couldn't help the tears.

"I told you I was sorry, didn't I?" he said. "I really was..."

"But that's not it, Alex! You've been stressing me out... oo, hormones ko to kasi buntis ako, hindi ko naman kasalanan if ganito ang takbo ng hormones ko ah! All I needed from you is an ounce of your understanding. Yun lang pero di mo binigay saken. Kaya mas pipiliin ko pang kasama si Pete at si Francis kesa sa'yo! Hirap na nga ako sa kalagayan ko, dumadagdag ka pa!"

"I'm sorry..."

"I hate you, Alex... I hate you so much right now that I can't accept that!" she said, her voice quivering. The last thing he wanted to do was to just hold her. "Next time, say it when you really mean it!"

"Then fine!" he countered. "Forget it!"

It annoyed him that this wasn't going anywhere. It annoyed him that she was still mad at him. And now he ended up at Yohan's doorstep trying to cool off.

"Hindi ko naman sina—"

"Pssssssh! Don't give me that stupid excuse, bro!" Yohan sat more upright now. "Hindi naman kami nagkulang nila Pao at Mickey sa pagsabi sa'yo di ba? We told you, pregnant women are like that and you have no choice but to put up with their wild mood swings. Pero nakinig ka ba? Hindi! Jeez!"

Alex finished the bottle of beer he was holding. His bestfriend's point was all clear to him that's why he didn't bother to even try to defend himself. He was guilty as charged. So guilty that he wanted to disappear completely. He was an asshole. And right at this very moment, he hated himself too.

"Yang pride mo na yan, bro, that pride is going to bring you down one day..." Yohan pointed out. "Sinasabi ko sa'yo, yan ang sisira sa lahat... and that temper of yours! Jeez!" But Yohan wasn't finished yet. "Hindi mo ba naisip baka biglang mapa anak ng maaga si Drei dahil sa katarantadohan mo, ha?! Mag-isip ka nga! Papahamak mo pa si Drei at yung anak niyo eh!"

He grabbed another beer on the table and drank some more.

 "At bakit si Peter pagseselosan mo? Alam mo naman hindi babae ang hanap nun kundi lalake! Gago ka talaga!"

"Kahit bakla yun, lalake pa rin naman siya ah! Di ba nga dati may girlfriend yun!"

"Oo nga, pero may boyfriend nga siya di ba?" Yohan stressed out. Then he paused. "Teka nga pala, bakit ka naman nagselos?" he wondered. "Parang ngayon ko lang narinig sa'yo yan ah...what on earth has gotten into you?! Kayo na ba?"

Alex's forehead creased. "Hindi."

"Hindi naman pala eh, then why are you acting like a jealous boyfriend?" he wondered.

"Syempre... protective lang ako sa kanya... she's still carrying my child, you know," Alex answered. His best friend eyed him suspiciously. "I guess that's part of it..."

"I'm not buying that, Alexander!" Yohan smirked. "Come back to me when you've already convinced yourself to believe that, okay?"

"O, pano mauna na ako," he said, changing the topic before its gets too personal. He glanced at his watch. It was already 8:00 pm.

"Saan ka naman pupunta?"

"May lakad yung team ko, they're actually waiting for me at Republiq..."

"Anong meron?"

"Farewell party ko daw..." he set the empty bottle down at the table. Yohan escorted him to the gate. "Salamat sa sermon!" Yohan gave Alex's head a nudge with his fist. "What was that for?!"

"For being such an ass!" his bestfriend declared. "Kahit kailan talaga pasaway ka, bro!"

Alex inhaled deeply as he made his way to Resorts World. He allowed himself to contemplate on what happened tonight. He started to sort out his emotions piece by piece. The guilt, the shame, the embarrassment... it was stabbing him right then and there. And last but not the least, of course, the jealousy. Why would he even be feeling that sense of over protectiveness for Drei? They weren't a thing, he reminded himself but then there he was aching for her out of blue. And the fact that he got jealous, scared the shit out of him. What the hell was wrong with him? He wasn't even sure.

                                  Republiq is usually closed during Thursdays and it actually puzzled Alex when he agreed to meet up with Jason and the rest of his colleagues there. But he was proven wrong the moment he got inside Resorts World. The club was very much alive and jam-packed with regular party animals, socialites, yuppies and the likes. They were all dressed to kill for tonight's special shindig, which caused Alex to glance down at his attire – black printed shirt, distressed jeans and ankle-high boots – because coming here was the last thing on his mind. However, after engaging himself with yet another epic spat with Drei, he considered Jason's invite.

As he stepped inside, he immediately headed to the bar. He bumped into a few acquaintances and most of them were surprised to see him. With a bottle of beer in his hand, his third one tonight, he stood and watched the crowd that huddled on the dance floor. Mindlessly grooving, with the strobe lights flickering in the room, in sync to the beat of Hiphop music. A smirk came across his face because there was a part of him that suddenly missed his old life. It's been quite awhile; nostalgia rushed through him. Super clubs and partying weren't his thing anymore. Nowadays, he pretty much preferred hanging out on bars that lined up at The Fort where the crowd is much laid back. He needed this temporary distraction, at least for a few hours, to take his mind off of things.

"There he is!" Terence shouted as Alex found his way to their table. "We all thought you'll be doing a no-show on us again!"

"Nagkataon lang na wala din akong magawa sa bahay tonight..." he shrugged and took a sip of his beer. "So you know, I might as well be here..." Besides Jason and Terence, they have seven other colleagues with them tonight – Tracy, Jackie, Art, Patrick, Dean, Kirk and Mariz. Alex noticed the empty beer bottles on their table as he took a seat beside Mariz. He immediately assumed that they've been at it for a few hours. "Kanina pa kayo?" he asked Tracy.

"Kanina pa, Lex!" Tracy told him, her cheeks were getting rosy already. "Pang-apat na round na ng mga boys yan, kami naman naka-ilang rounds na rin ng Tequila!"

"Where have you been, dude?" Jason joined in, wrapping his left arm around Tracy's shoulder. She's Jason's new apple of the eye and they've been a thing for a few weeks. "Hindi ka na sumasama sa amin, you've been missing all the fun! Nag-iba na ata ang landas mo!"

"Ulol!" Alex said laughing. He's already told them that Drei's carrying his child and that they're both friends right now. "I've been busy with some stuff... alam mo naman, right?"

"Iba na talaga siguro pag magiging daddy ka na!" Mariz teased, nudging him with her elbow. It was an open secret in their office that Mariz has been crushing on him ever since he showed up for work in Eastadvantage Philippines. She's been flirting with him and they ended up making out after their office's Halloween party two years ago. But then, she wasn't his type and it never happened again. They remained friends though after that. "When's your wife due, Lex?"

He chuckled and raised both his hands. "I'm not married!" he chanted while he wiggled his fingers at them. "Do you guys even see a ring on my finger? None. Wala. No ring!" Alex just can't be himself around these people whom he works with. They're different and he's always been distant and reserved whenever he's around them. His egoistic alter ego took over. "Sure I knocked her up, but it doesn't mean we're getting married! Jeez!" The truth about whatever and he Drei shared and how he feels for her, he kept to himself. These people didn't need to know the personal things. "Ako? Magpapakasal? Over my dead body!"

"Si Alex pa!" Patrick interjected.

"So how are things between you and the girl? Ano yung set-up niyo?" Jackie wondered. She's hot but a lipstick lesbian.

"We're friends," he answered casually. "At saka, I already agreed to support my child... so wala naman problema... may mga kanya-kanyang kaming buhay... I'm just glad that we're civil about things that happened sa aming dalawa..."

"Eh di okay!" Kirk reacted. "So anyways, maiba nga ako, nabalitaan niyo ba yung increase daw natin?"

Alex sighed in relief as Kirk shifted the topic. He was glad that he was off the hook because he never liked answering his colleagues' questions on personal matters. Their conversation shifted form one topic to the next as they drank some more. Pretty soon, the rest of them headed to the dance floor leaving Alex with Jason and Terence.

"Eyeing for your prey?" Jason asked. "Looks like you've been out of the game, dude! Tagal na o!"

"Oo nga, dude," Terence added. "Mukhang time out ka na ata... retiring na ba?"

"Eh walang magandang prospect eh..." he said in his defense. Truth is, it's been really long time. Ever since that day he found out that Drei was carrying his child, his life has never been the same again. It was heading to the opposite direction and he couldn't stop it. He was juggling the demands of his personal life and his work. Too busy to notice that it's been three months since he last slept with a woman. Something in him suddenly burned as he remembered his last. Her name was Peachy, the cute Cebuana he met during his last month in Cebu. Damn it! He cursed to himself. Three months. He's been celibate for three freaking months!

"Really now?" Jason jeered at him. "Baka naman you're a changed man already?"

"No!" he scowled at him. "Says who?" "Sige nga...wanna bet?" Jason offered.

"Game!" Alex called it. "Akala mo sa akin laos ah! O ano? Magkano?!"

Terence watched them amazed. "O sige," he joined in, taking out a one thousand peso bill from his wallet. "O, one thousand sa akin!"

"Another thousand..." Jason's bet, fishing out the same amount from his wallet. "Dalawang libo! O, labas mo na yung sa'yo!" he urged Alex. Alex did the same, placing the money on top of their table. "For three thousand pesos, you need to score tonight! Your reputation is at stake here, dude!"

"Go!" Alex agreed and then finished his bottle of beer. "O saan at sino? Dali!" Terence and Jason scanned the room for a possible prospect.

"Ayun!" Terence said and then they all glanced at the direction where he was pointing. "Three o'clock, mga dude..." Just a few steps away from them, there stood three ladies who were busy chatting and probably enjoying the party.

"Yung naka curl yung buhok, Lex..." Jason instructed. "Mukhang hot eh!"

Alex studied his prospect. Her hair was long and curled at the ends. She has a gray plunging tank top that revealed her cleavage and it's tucked in her short and wavy peach colored skirt. She had a glass of whatever it is she's drinking on one hand while she has her small clutch bag on the other. Curves on the right places and yeah, long legs. Nice, he thought to himself. Without wasting any more of his time, he stood up from his seat and walked towards his prospect. Jason and Terence kept watch. Standing right behind the girl, Alex placed his hands on his pockets.

"Hi, would you mind if I buy you a drink?" he asked and then the girl turned to face him. For a moment he was stunned. "Liz?"

"Alex?" she narrowed her eyes on him. He nodded. Then she covered her mouth as if she couldn't believe that it's him. "Oh my god! It is you!"

"I...I didn't recognize you!" he said. And then he started to give her a once-over. Liz looked prettier than he last saw her two years ago and actually, she looked hotter. "You look different! I mean... wow!" She smiled at him sweetly. "Just wow!"

Alex met Liz two years ago at a party that his cousin TJ dragged him to. Liz was actually a high school friend of TJ's wife, Bianca, and works as an accountant in California where she's born and raised. During the time that they met, she was just around for her annual vacation leave. The two of them hit it off right away having shared some things in common. And what they had was somewhat a summer fling that ended well. It wasn't serious and they were just having fun.

For a couple of minutes they stood there catching up on what they've missed out on each other for the past two years. And like how they've met, she was here visiting again. They shared a few drinks until they're a little bit tipsy. From Alex's peripheral vision he could see that Jason and Terence are keeping an eye on him. At some point he didn't know what the hell he was trying to do. Was he trying to prove to himself that he still got the groove in this kind of game? Or was he just trying to show his egoistic colleagues that he still got game? Feeling a little pressured with the thoughts on his head, Alex made his move. He leaned in closer and went in for the kill.

"For one second there, I really didn't recognize you, Liz," he said.

"Awwww stop it!" she said. "You're still a charmer!"

"Really I didn't..." and then he leaned in closer and whispered in her ear. "Still as hot as hell, Lizzie, like I remembered... but much much more now..."

"And you still know just what to say, Lex!" she patted his chest. Alex snaked one arm on her waist. "And I kinda like the new look you have there... scruffy and sexy..." she purred and bit her lip. They stared at each other for a few minutes like they both have the same thing in mind. "Let's get out of here..." she whispered in his ear. "Some place nice and quiet..." Then she nibbled his ear.

"Do as you please, my lady..." he smiled at her deviously. "I'm all yours!"

Alex smiled victoriously when he returned to their table and claimed the cash prize that was waiting for him. He saw the look of defeat in Jason's eyes as he bid them goodbye with Liz in tow. They both ended up in Liz's condo in Legaspi Village. He was surprised with himself that he still remembered where she lived. It was the same place that she stayed in two years ago, although there were already parts of her unit that was redesigned.

"This place still looked the same," he commented as he settled on her couch while Liz turned the music on.

"You still remember that couch?" she asked, giving him a mischievous smile as she walked towards him. This couch of hers held some good old memories of them back in the day. How could he forget? He returned her mischievous smile with one of his as she stood in front of him. "Or should I remind you about it?" She brushed her knees on his.

"Whatever suits you..." he answered, leaning much comfortably on her couch. Then she straddled him. "Hmmmm..."

Liz cupped his face and her mouth settled on his. Her kisses were hungry, claiming and demanding. He pulled her against him and he could feel the heat radiating through her. He kissed her back in the same intensity. But then he felt nothing. He went on kissing her deeper like he was looking for something. He let his hands roam over her body. Squeezing her rear, digging into the curves, before he circled around to cup her breast. But there was nothing. He felt empty. Empty like the desire to bed this woman is no longer there. His mind was somewhere else. And he was pretty damn sure that it wasn't here.

"Ummm Liz..." he said as she started to trail kisses on his neck. "Yeah..." "I...I..."

She stopped and looked at him. "Something wrong?"

"I..." he closed his eyes for a moment and pressed the bridge of his nose. "I really can't do this..." Liz instinctively removed herself on top of him and sat herself on the coffee table. "I'm sorry... I just... ewan ko..." H ran his fingers through his hair in sheer frustration.

"I thought you were really up for it..." she told him, arms crossed on her chest. "Look, I'm really sorry, okay... it's not you... it's me... I'm just not feeling it tonight..." he apologized.

"Its okay," Liz shrugged as she fixed herself. "Better luck next time!"

Alex stayed for awhile and both of them chat while they shared a cup of coffee. The coffee helped him sober up a bit and then he made his way out of Liz's condo. He gave out a heavy sigh as he got inside his car. He placed the key in the ignition and started the engine. And then he rested his head back for a second and cursed to himself. Was he out of the game? What happened to him and Liz awhile ago was something he wanted for so long. It was unlikely of him to turn down something like that. What was wrong with him? Could this day get even worse? His body wanted it so bad but his mind begged to disagree. His mind was somewhere else, like he wasn't meant to be here tonight.

He suddenly heard his phone vibrating on the cup holder inside his car where he left it. He grabbed it and his brows arched up in surprise with what he saw on the screen. Thirty missed calls, it read. He opened it and found five names on the list – Drei, Jeannie, Des, Manang Pilar and Johan. The calls were just seconds apart. He glanced at the time, it was already quarter to ten in the evening and it got him wondering what was wrong. And right on cue, he saw Johan's incoming call.

"Bro?"

"Nasaan ka? Kanina ka pa tinatawagan di ka sumasagot!" his bestfriend was obviously pissed.

"Naka silent yung phone ko, bakit?"

"Tangina! Get your ass out of there and umuwi ka na!" Johan ordered.

"Huh? Anong –"

But Johan cut him off. "Si Drei... naglalabor pain na si Drei!"

=======================================

Music: Barely Breathing by Duncan Sheik

Extra Thanks to...

Madam, Shei and Liz for helping out during my blackouts =)

And of course, to everyone who's been supporting and reading my works... hugss to you guys!=)

Playing For Keeps © 2013 C.Ellaine. All Rights Reserved

All rights reserved. The author retains all copyrights in any text, graphic images and photos in this book. No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by ant means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the author.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

732K 25.2K 65
"You found me as a kid. Now let my adult self grow old with you..." --------------------------------------------- "We'll marry as soon as we meet aga...
1.3K 400 28
...They always say moving away is usually hard, scratch that, very hard. Is that still the case though? When dad died, I thought I lost everything I...
7.5K 277 28
"So... what about us?" he asked, and I looked at him, a bit bewildered. "What?" I inquired. "You and me... what are we, Sera? You know how you affect...
3.3K 294 27
Mara, an ordinary person, is struggling with a difficult decision. Should she continue living a solitary life or take a chance and open her heart to...