Single Dad "Starting Over"(Hu...

By fanforfanfic

What happens when a 27 year old Country music sensation is forced to "Start Over" as a single dad? Will he be... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109

Chapter 92

300 19 30
By fanforfanfic

Hunter's POV

"We don't need to involve Renee."

"We don't? How come?" Liddy asks.

"Because Renee won't be around Harper much. She will be leaving soon for an acting job."

After riding in silence for quite awhile, I finally glance over at Liddy. She's looking out the side window. I can tell she's worried. Her brows are furrowed and she's fiddling with her bracelet, the charm bracelet Harper and I gave her for Christmas. I'm surprised she's still wearing it, but the fact that she is makes me happy. 

I want so badly to inform her that Renee and I are over, but now is not the time, not while we are riding in the car. I need to be looking in her eyes when I tell her. I want to be able to read her body language and watch her reaction to the news. I'm hoping I'll see some sign that she can forgive me for hurting her. I realize it's a long shot, but I have to try to get her back, because honestly I can't imagine my life without her in it.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I ask while fighting the urge to reach over and hold her hand.

She turns and looks at me. "I don't think there's enough pennies in the world to buy all the thoughts that are running through my mind right now."

Without thinking, I flip open the ash tray that is located below the radio.  It is filled with change. "How much will this buy me?"

She giggles, for the first time since I can't remember when. "Maybe one or two?"

"That's all? I was hoping for at least 5, but I guess 2 is better than none." I wink. "Seriously, do you want to talk? Because I can assure you if any of your concerns are about Harps. I've already considered them."

"It's just what if......" Before she can say any more her phone rings. "I'm sorry, I need to take this."

I nod. "No problem."

She smiles then hits the answer button on her iPhone.

"Hello?.... How are you doing Mr. Green?... That's good.... Yes, I received it, but I haven't had a chance to open it yet. I'm sorry. The little girl I'm watching is ill and she needed to go to the doctors. ........ Thanks for understanding. Is it okay if I check it over later tonight and let you know if I have any questions?..... Awesome, I appreciate your patience.... Okay, great. I'll talk with you soon. Bye."

While she puts her phone back in her purse, I can't help but wonder who Mr. Green is.  I've never heard her mention his name before. I want to ask about him, but know I have no right to.

"Sorry about that."

"No worries. How many times have you had to wait through phone calls for me?"

"A few."

I laugh. "I think far more than a few, more like hundreds."

"It wasn't that bad. You always tried to keep the conversations short."

"I did." Then I smile. "So would you still like to talk about what's going on in that beautiful head of yours?"

She blushes. "I would, but can it wait till we get home? We're almost there."

"Absolutely. There's a few things I'd like to discuss too, if you don't mind?"

"Not at all."

__________________

Liddy's POV

Hunter and I just put Harper to bed after getting her to eat a few spoonfuls of applesauce, swallow her acetaminophen and drink a couple sips of pedialyte. It was a challenge but we did it. It reminded me a lot of the first time she was sick with a fever. We joked and laughed but some how managed to get her to take her medicine. Today was the same way, almost like the past several weeks never happened.

I miss "us" so badly. I've lost count of how many times I've kicked myself for breaking our engagement. But I know I did the right thing for him. He always beat himself up because he felt he failed Harper when Renee and he divorced. Now, he has the chance to give her the family life he always wanted her to have. So even though it killed me to end it, I take comfort in knowing he's getting what he wants, an opportunity to give Harper a traditional family life.

"Here you go." He says as he passes me a glass of white wine. "I say we deserve this after the battle we just fought."

I laugh. "She certainly can be stubborn and definitely more so when she doesn't feel well, that's for sure."

"I second that." He says as he raises his glass and taps it against mine. "Thank you again for all your help. This time it's a lot harder. Harper's much more obstinate, don't you think?"

"Yeah she is. It's probably because she REALLY doesn't feel well."

"You don't agree with the doctor do you? You think it's more than the Flu."

"No, I don't agree with her. What do you and Renee suspect it could be?"

"Ah, uhm we really haven't talked about what it could be besides the Flu. I know it being anything else terrifies me."

"We all need to prepare ourselves, for something worse."

"Such as?"

"At first I was really afraid she might have bacterial meningitis, the really dangerous kind, because we can't touch her head without it hurting. But thank the Lord, she didn't developed the severe neck stiffness and vomiting associated with that type. I'm still wondering if maybe she has viral meningitis, but at least that isn't as bad."

"How do you know all this stuff?"

"I learned a lot at college and the rest I have been searching for on the internet."

"Sounds like I owe you some overtime pay." He smirks.

"You don't owe me a thing! I love Harper. I just want her to start feeling better soon, especially since I'll be.." I stop as soon as I realize what I was about to say. 

"Since you'll be, what?"

"Let's sit down for a minute, okay?" I suggest as I walk over and take a seat on the couch. Hunter follows and sits right next to me.

"What's going on Lid? I know you and I know something's up."

"Remember the call, I had to take in the car."

"Yeah?"

"Well, I needed to answer it because it was from Mr. Green my future..."

"No! Please don't tell me you accepted another job!"

I hang my head. Telling him is proving to be much harder than I thought it would be. It's probably because since I interviewed, I've starting spending time with Hunter, again. Now, I don't want to take the offer. "I haven't given him my answer yet."

"How come?"

"Mainly because I haven't had the time to read over the contract."

"Is that the only reason?" I try to avert his stare but he won't let me. "Come on be honest?"

"No it's not?" I whisper.

"Is Harper being ill making it difficult to accept the new job offer."

"Yes." I say as I shake my head.

"Is there any other reasons?" He demands.

"Maybe. Why do you care what my reasons are for taking or not taking the job?"

"Because I want to know if I have anything to do with you questioning whether you should leave or not?"

Tears fill my eyes. I've never lied to him and I won't start now. "You and Harper are the only reason I want to stay." I see him smile. Why is he smiling? "But you two are also the reason I need to leave."

He reaches for my hand and I let him hold it. I can't help myself. I know I don't really have much more time with him. Once I accept the job I will be moving within a month, maybe sooner. I don't want to forget how his callused fingertips feel rubbing over my knuckles and how they send mini shockwaves through my whole body. I just want to remember every single detail.

"I need to tell you something. I'm not sure whether it will make it easier or harder for you to take the job. Personally, I hope it makes it impossible." Then he takes his free hand and lifts my face so I'm staring directly at him. "Promise me you will listen to EVERYTHING I have to say before making a decision about the job."

His gaze is intense. I can't look away. "I promise."

_________

Hunter's POV

I'm so nervous right now. She just has to believe me. She has to.

"First off, before I begin I need you to tell me what Renee said to you the other day in front of Harper."

"It doesn't matter."

"Yes, it does! Please just tell me. All I know is what Harper mentioned. She said you cried and that Renee yelled at you a lot and it scared her."

"She said all that?"

"Well not in one sentence, but yes she did. She was very worried about you. So I want to know what happened, please."

"Okay. Well, I drove here after picking Harper up from your parent's and parked my car in the driveway to make it easier to unload my clothes. I walked around, unbuckled Harper from her car seat and we were on our way up the stairs when Renee showed up. I could tell immediately she was angry, it was obvious. So I pulled Harper close to me, held her hand and tried to cover her ears the best I could. Then Renee just started yelling. I didn't say anything to provoke her. Actually, I didn't say much the whole time she was screaming at me. I wanted to defend myself, but I knew it would only fuel Renee's rage and I didn't want poor Harper to go through more than she had to. So I just stood there and listened while Ren gloated about how happy you two are."

"What else did she say?"

"A bunch of stuff. It's not important."

"Yes, it is! Tell me." I demand more than I ask. I feel bad about that, so I squeeze her hand trying to convey an apology.

She turns to face away from me and begins to speak. "She said that you both are so happy living together raising Harps and that I was just a rebound because you never really loved me. She said you tried but you couldn't not completely because you never stopped loving her. According to Ren..."

"Liddy, look at me, please." She turns her head back around, but stares at our hands and not my face. I gently lift her chin until I can see into her incredible sable colored eyes. It breaks my heart to see them full of tears. "None of that is true. You HAVE to believe me!"

When the first tear falls, I quickly wrap her in my arms and hold her tight. It feels like home. "Renee and I didn't live together."

She pushes back and looks directly at me. "Why are you lying? I know you did. Your parents confirmed that Renee was here all the time and Harper chatted every day about all the things mommy and daddy did together."

"Please, listen? Let me explain." She rolls her eyes, typical Liddy style, but she doesn't try to leave. So I take that as a good sign and continue. "Yes, Renee and I did live in the same house, BUT she stayed in the guestroom. We NEVER slept together. I swear on Harper's life I am telling you the truth!"

She doesn't say anything. It scares me. "I couldn't be with her that way, because I love you. Even though you said it wouldn't be cheating, it felt like it in my heart. I couldn't do it."

"If you love me the way you say you do then why are you with her?"

"I'm not." I can tell she's surprised by my answer.

"You aren't?"

"No, last night after Harper told me Renee made you cry, I insisted she leave. Then before coming to get you and Harper for her doctor's visit, I drove over to her house and told her officially it was over "

She sits back and removes her hand from mine. "Okay, so you aren't with Renee right now. But what I really want to know is why you stayed with her for all these weeks, IF you supposedly love me so much?"

________________________________

So they're talking.

What do you think? Will Liddy forgive him or will she accept the job in California and leave?

Thanks so much for all your votes and comments. You guys are amazing!!!

13 K reads!!! Really? This blows my mind!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 5.5K 15
What happens when a 39 year old man falls head over heels for a 26 year old girl who is a complete opposite to him? A man who doesn't know defeat...
232K 6.1K 26
Fresh out of high school and finally home from Panama, 18-year old Stella Hawkley is surprised to find a new farm-hand waiting for her at the airport...
85.9K 1.7K 43
What happens when you fall deeply and madly in love with your best friend? What happens when he loves you back? What happens when everyone and everyt...
28K 390 20
Hi, im Ashley and my boyfriend is 'The Harry Styles' What happens when my dad and Harrys mum get married. How can we be together if we're stepsibling...