Heirs of Planet Life 2 - The...

By chaienesantoswriter

COMPLETE TRILOGY 🏆Wattys Award book 1 in portuguese version. Governing Idea: We will become them and then, t... More

Prologue
I - The Return to Earth
II - Zara's Presence
III - Homesick
IV - Mirov's Revenge
V - Nicholas's New Life
VI - Danger in the Future
VII - Chased by the Earthlings
VIII - Mirov's Plan
IX - Princess Isadora's Party
X - Helen's Secret
XI - The Trip
XII - Helen's Truth
XIII - The Prisoner Queen
XV - Merko's Return
XVI - The Observer
XVII - The Battle in the Desert
XVIII - Nicholas' Courage
XIX - An Intruder in the Enemy Ship
XX - Victory
XXI - The Hunt to the Tyrant
XXII - Real and Imminent Danger
XXIII -The Past of Planet Earth
XXIV - The Persecution
XXV - A New Civilization
XXVI - The Thirst for Power
The Author

XIV - Merko's Suspicion

161 14 0
By chaienesantoswriter

The powerful transmitter of the spacecraft Star Hunter used lasers to transmit data at rates 100 times faster than radio frequency waves, but with less mass and energy. Merko knew there was a risk that his communication would be intercepted by the government of planet Life, but it had to be tried. Only his friend would tell him the truth.

What he had no idea was that Sivoc's team had been dismantled by Mirov shortly after he took the throne. The villainous king had monopolized every contact the planet made with outer space, and Drako secretly dedicated to creating alternative communications systems that used frequencies capable of contacting other life forms in outer space. He had married a communications engineer named Felgaci, who was at his side on this project. Together, they have also developed a technology capable of contacting deep space. And who knows, maybe contact Merko for help.

Until now, contacts with other planets were restricted to the equipment of the scientific building of the capital, Perfectio.

On Earth, Merko couldn't just but wait. A hunch made him uneasy. He knew something wasn't right on planet Life. So, the next day, he returned to his ship to try to contact Drako.

"There's something very strange about this story and I need to know what's going on..."

In Drako's lab, high-frequency antennas were directed toward the Milky Way galaxy when a new signal flashed into a holographic panel. He verified that the message originated from Earth and was filled with hope that it was Captain Merko. He touched the hologram and was surprised by the image that appeared:

"Commander Merko, at last, we finally meet!"

"How are you, my friend Drako?"

"I wanted us to meet with better news, sir."

"Why? What happened?" Merko asked, the bad feeling inside of him only increasing.

"Sir, King Zador is dead."

"But how?" Merko paled in the face of such tragic news.

"A mysterious illness affected him and he couldn't resist..."

"What a strange story. One of the things that the king prided himself on was his good health. How could he get sick? What about the princess? Has she taken the throne yet?"

Drako hesitated for a while, making Merko more and more nervous. When he would ask again for more news, his friend said:

"We have a new king, Counselor Mirov." Merko screamed and struck the ship's panel in a state of fury. Why didn't that surprise him? "He invaded the palace, arrested the king and the princess in the dungeons. We couldn't defend them, because the first thing he did was to dismantle our team and expel us from the capital. I came to the region of Zaturga, with my wife, Felgaci. She's an engineer."

"And why didn't you contact me?" Merko said desperately.

"We had no way of communicating with you without running the risk of being intercepted by the capital. Dead I couldn't help," Drako explained sadly. "With the help of my wife I began to create communication systems, secretly. Through unconventional frequencies, we've been trying to establish contact with you for days, so that you stay away from planet Life. Don't let Mirov find out exactly where you are."

"How can I leave my people?" Merko screamed, feeling helpless.

"The king will want revenge on you, Commander. It's too risky... How could you reverse this situation?"

Merko remembered his previous conversation with the counselor. He decided to learn more through Drako.

"What did counselor Kenan do about it?"

"I couldn't talk to him. All communications with Perfetio are restricted."

Merko immediately turned red. His anger only seemed to increase. He had to do something about it, even if it cost him his own life. He wasn't a dishonored man, who would leave his people and his men in the hands of a madman.

"Drako, can you use your communications to speak to the counselor?"

"I'll try, sir. I hope to return soon with news."

"I'll be waiting, my friend. I'll leave this line open all the time, so you can talk to me whenever you need to. It was nice talking to you again. Too bad the news were sad and at the same time unpleasant."

Merko broke the communication, his head full of doubts. He knew that Counselor Kenan was an honorable man and unable to lie. When he said that the king and princess were doing well, he must have been under coersion. This was yet another reason to increase mistrust that many things were wrong on his home planet.

"Mirov can't be the new king. I'll await the return of Drako's news and if it's true, I'll return to my planet and make a rebellion. I think I need to get ready for a war!" Merko thought, clenching his hands together, ready to destroy everything around him. That's why he paused for a moment, and knew in his heart that he wouldn't expect any answer. He was afraid that if he waited for anything, it might be too late.

"Z8, prepare the ship for an eventual trip. Check the reactors and all systems."

"Yes sir. It will be done!"

The false monarch had no idea of what was on the way. Merko wouldn't settle down until he saw him destroyed. Once and for all.

Drako decided to disguise himself to enter the capital. On the road, near Perfectio, he spotted a vehicle near an establishment. Three men were near the transport, talking excitedly, with glasses of cold drinks in their hands. It must be a load of food that came to supply the palace, Drako thought, before approaching. He pretended to be distracted and bumped into one of them, who seemed to be the air transport driver because of the uniform. He only realized that he had been scratched sometime later, when Drako was already far away, with a face identical to his due to the skin sample.

He passed thus unnoticed, on foot, like many who passed through the gates of Perfectio. He had thought of communicating by holography with his friends, but preferred to go personally to the royal palace, where some acquaintances worked, for news. This way no one could intercept his conversations. Upon arrival in the center of the capital, he could notice that the palace was heavily guarded by the military. He had heard that the new king had strengthened the army, the navy, and the air force. Everything seemed different, heavier, away from the joy inspired by the peace he had previously seen through those streets. Everyone in the city was being watched without the freedom they once enjoyed in the reign of Zador.

He entered the communications building without raising suspicion. He turned to his true form before approaching his acquaintances. When intercepting one of them in a small meeting room, he could verify that no one wanted to talk about the whereabouts of counselor Kenan and the princess, out of fear or lack of knowledge.

He tried other friends without success. It was then that he had an idea: he would look for Crom, an army officer who was a great friend to Merko and had several missions with him. He went back to the previous disguise and went straight to the base of the army. Crom was a captain there and had served with Merko at the time when they had carried out the mission to capture Nicholas on Earth. Although Merko had left his military post to travel to his son's planet, Crom had remained at his post, pursuing a career. Mirov ignored him, disregarding his importance and he, in exchange, touched his life as he could since he could do nothing to change the situation on his planet.

Finding Crom, once again in his original form, Drako hugged him:

"Lieutenant Colonel, what a pleasure to see you!"

"My friend Drako! I didn't think you would get away from scientific missions any time soon. That's because everyone knows you are one of the best information systems experts we have on our planet."

"Thanks for the compliment, Crom. But with the closure of commander Sivoc's team, I preferred to dedicate myself to research and some personal projects. Only Sivoc and Tibor continue their activities in space scientific journeys. As far as I know, they have been integrated with other research teams.

"What brings you to the capital, Drako?"

"I wanted to hear word from counselor Kenan and the princess. Merko has made contact and wants to know how things are going around here."

"How's our commander?"

"He's fine, but he's worried about our planet."

"From what I know of him, when he learns about what has happened here, he'll be very nervous. I know he's very fond of Counselor Kenan and the Princess, and because of everything that happened to his son Nicholas, I don't think he's going to like what's happening here in the royal palace."

"But what happened?" Drako asked apprehensively.

"Counselor Mirov escaped from prison and took over the reign, as you obviously must know." Drako nodded. "He had King Zador, Princess Isadora, and Counselor Kenan imprisoned. It's said that he poisoned the king, which led to his death, but no one was able to prove it and no one speaks of it, to avoid severe punishment by Mirov."

"And why doesn't anyone do anything about it?"

"Everything was very well planned by Mirov. He has powerful murderous robots, which destroy all who oppose him. If it were possible for us to rebel, we would certainly have done so. We really miss Commander Merko! If he returned, I'd certainly fight by his side to depose the usurper of the royal throne."

"Please, Crom, don't tell anyone we spoke about Commander Merko. As everyone knows, he arrested the former counselor Mirov and he must hate him. I'll try to get in touch with the Commander on planet Earth as soon as possible. Besides, if they suspect a possible rebellion, you'd be punished only for suspicion" a comment from Crom caught Drako's eye. "As for Nicholas being Merko's son, I thought only Sivoc's team knew that. How did you find out?"

"Commander Merko confided this secret to me before he left for Earth. He was very moved and wanted to share the secret with me. After all, we've worked together for many years and always cultivated a relationship of friendship. He knows he can always trust me."

Drako was satisfied. He said goodbye to Crom and transmuted himself to leave that place safely. Early in the evening, he established a signal of communication with Commander Merko.

On Earth, Merko's bracelet began to emit a luminous pulsing signal while he was sitting on the couch watching television. Lorena was asleep.

Telepathically, Merko warned Nicholas that they needed to go to the ship to establish communication with planet Life.

Zara also heard them and nodded after listening. Suddenly, Helen intruded on the conversation and everyone's thoughts:

"Mom, can I come, too? I think it'll be fun."

"Under no circumstances. You have a lot of homework to do and you promised to do it after dinner. Besides, the duties have accumulated with our week of travel to Japan," Zara replied, also telepathically.

"Merko, you did not block Helen's telepathy!" said Nicholas.

"I'm sorry. I'm very worried about what's happening on our planet and I completely forgot about it. Don't worry, she's not listening to us now," he cut off the communication before the girl disturbed them.

In a few minutes, they teleported to the ship. When they got there, they went to the communications bridge, to make contact.

"Commander Merko," Drako called out.

"Yes. I hear you loud and clear."

"I got the information you asked me to. Counselor Kenan is in jail, along with Princess Isadora. It's said that the king died poisoned and Mirov's the new king, after having usurped the throne. Crom himself made me aware of the facts. He is now Lieutenant-Colonel and serves the army forces. Despite working as a military man, he's against the government. But nothing can be done without gathering a good number of sympathizers to form a rebellious force against Mirov. Who commands the royal guard is Fizard."

"He allied with Mirov again! He'll suffer the consequences of this union. Arresting the princess is inadmissible and support the assassination of King Zador unforgivable. I'm going to need your help and Crom's to prepare for my return to the planet. It's good to know that I can count on you."

"But sir, it'll be very dangerous for you to return to our planet. Mirov will order your death and it's said that he possesses an invincible army of robots."

"I'm not afraid of that tyrant. I've put him behind bars once and I'm ready to do it again. I'll make arrangements for the trip. No one will stop me from fighting to the death to save my planet."

"Yes, sir. Crom said that if you return, he'll help you in your fight. According to him, you're the only one able to unite the rebel forces to depose the usurping king."

"Contact Sivoc and Tibor. Ask them to assemble men who are loyal to our cause."

"Yes, Commander. Finally, let's go back to the old days, where our missions always had a great goal. With you in charge we'll certainly be victorious."

"Don't get carried away, Drako. This time it'll be very difficult. Counselor Mirov must have thought of the possibility of an uprising. Stay tuned for any information that might help us. I'm going to turn off the communication because we need to get ready. Soon we'll be together."

"You can count on me, Commander. Over and out."

Nicholas and Merko immediately began to prepare the ship for the trip to planet Life. There was no way to postpone it any further.

"Merko, how do you feel about taking Zara with us? Or maybe it was best to leave her here to take care of Helen and all the rest."

"I'm sure she'll go. Zara won't let you go without her. As for Helen, Lorena will take care of her. I don't believe there's any danger here on Earth. The problem is on my planet! This time it'll be difficult to face Mirov, since he commands the well-trained forces of the army of planet Life."

Merko ordered the ship's computer, Z8, to check all the details for the departure and asked that Nicholas program his teleportation bracelet to go back home in Los Angeles. In a few seconds, they materialized in the garage of Nicholas's house. Now they would need to tell Zara what was happening, think of a good excuse to leave for some time, and devise an infallible plan to restore peace and order on planet Life.

Where would they begin?

______________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 619 51
A dystopian young adult novel involving romance, secret experiments on human subjects, and a group of teenagers' will to survive. Reader Comments: "...
347K 22.1K 49
(This is book 3 of the P.O.E. Chronicles, Read book 1 Evolution and book 2 Selection if you haven't already) I never wanted a war. All I wanted to do...
28 3 19
(All content now has chapters approximately 1500-3000 words each) (Still being edited) "The Ventures of Captain Xavior" Series synopsis ~ The Federa...
33.2K 828 16
8,000. That's the number of humans that made it off planet earth before it turned into a ball of radiation. Idabelle Watson being one of those human...