Single Dad "Starting Over"(Hu...

By fanforfanfic

What happens when a 27 year old Country music sensation is forced to "Start Over" as a single dad? Will he be... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109

Chapter 84

227 12 13
By fanforfanfic

Hunter's POV

I spent all night contemplating everything Liddy had to say regarding my feelings for Renee. I hate to admit it, but I think she's right. I think I do still care for Renee. It's the only thing that explains my behavior these last few weeks. I can't believe some of the things I have done. I've hurt Liddy so badly. I don't blame her for breaking our engagement.

When I hear the doorbell, I'm pulled from my thoughts. I reluctantly leave my coffee cup sitting on the kitchen table and go to answer it. I wonder who it could be? It's Sunday morning I wasn't expecting anyone.

"Good morning."

"Mom, Dad what are you doing here?"

"We just came from church and thought we would stop by to see if you, Liddy and Harper wanted to go out for a late breakfast?" Mom asks cheerfully.

I step back and invite them inside. I look like hell. I wonder how long it will take them to deduce something's wrong? When they ask, how much do I want to tell them? "Thanks for the invite, but I'm going to pass. I'm not feeling very well and Liddy and Harper aren't here.

"I noticed you're not looking so great. What's up?" Dad asks.

"I haven't been able to sleep, the last few nights."

"Where's Liddy and Harper? My mom asks suspiciously.

"Harper's with Renee and Liddy, ah uhm she's with her sister."

She immediately looks at my dad and they shake their heads ever so slightly. It's as if they can read each other's minds. "So why is Harper with Renee? I thought she was there last weekend?"

"She was, dad but since Renee doesn't have to start another acting job for another month, she has been asking to spend more time with Harps."

"How's Harper feel about that?"

"She seems to be doing okay. Renee has really been making an effort this time to make Harps a priority."

"Oh really?" He looks skeptical.

"So what's Liddy and Liz doing? Wedding stuff, I assume?"

"Yeah, something like that." I hate to lie to my mother, but I'm not sure if I can tell them we have broken up. Not yet, especially since it's all my fault. "Would either of you like some coffee? I just brewed it."

"I'm fine. What about you, Leo?"

"No thanks." He says as he scratches Cole's ears then glances over at my mom. When she nods her head he clears his throat. "You know what Cole? I think you and I should go for a walk. Is that okay, son?"

"Ah yay, it's fine. His leash is...."

"In the front hall closet. I remember. See you guys later." He says as he leads Cole into the Living Room then out the front door.

"So, what's going on? Why haven't you been sleeping well?"

Wow, that didn't take very long for her to step into the mom mode. "I've had a lot on my mind."

She just gives me that look. The one that says she knows I'm lying. "So what's the real reason Liddy isn't here?"

"I told you she's with Liz."

"Okay, well obviously you don't want to talk about it. I won't push. I just thought you might like to discuss it. Sometimes it helps. You know you can tell me anything. I'm not going to judge you."

I take a seat next to her at the table. "I know, it's just..." I have to pause to fight back the tears. "It's just that I've messed up so bad. I'm so embarrassed."

"Oh Hun." She says as she wraps me in a hug. "It'll be okay."

"I'm not so sure. I've hurt Liddy. She broke our engagement."  I hear her breath catch. She wasn't expecting to hear that.

"She did what? Why?"

"Because, because she figured out I still have feelings for Renee."

Her breath catches again. "You do? Have you acted on those feelings?'

I lean back so I can look her in the face. "Not in the way you are implying, but I've done stupid things like choose to spend time alone with Renee and Harper instead of Liddy."

"When did you realize you still loved Renee?"

"Last night after Liddy confronted me with all the things I've been doing. I didn't want to believe it..... God, mom.... I'm so confused. How can I be in love with two woman at once?"

She's quiet. I can tell she's choosing her words wisely. "You really can't be IN LOVE with both of them at once., but you can certainly love each of them. " She sighs. "So how did you and Liddy leave things?"

"She told me to figure out who I love more, then to let her know."

Mom, looks relieved. "She doesn't hate you?"

"No, and that's the thing, she should. But instead she still loves me and is willing to wait till I figure it out. How can she do that? If the roles were reversed, I'd be long gone."

"Maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't. So when did she break off the engagement?"

"Yesterday morning, after she overheard me invite Renee to join Harper and me at the park."

"Oh.... Have you told anyone else about the break up?"

"No, Liddy asked me to keep it quiet until I knew for sure."

"So Renee doesn't know yet?"

"No, I haven't told her."

"How come?"

"I'm not sure. I guess because I didn't want to admit I had any feelings for her until a few hours ago."

"So do you know what you're going to do?"

My eyes start to fill with tears. "Not a clue."

___________

Liddy's POV

"Have you heard anything from Hunter?" Liz asks as she joins me on the couch.

"No, and I don't expect to. It's been two and half weeks."

"That's not that long. There's still a chance."

"I really don't think so. From the bits I get from Harper it sounds like Hunter and Renee have been together every day since I broke the engagement. Harps is always saying mommy and daddy did this or that."

"I'm so sorry to hear that." She says as she leans over to give me a hug. "You seem to be handling it really well."

I force myself to laugh. "I was a wreck the first week. But it's getting better now, that I have a plan."

"What plan?"

"Remember I asked you last week if you could watch Harper for a few hours tomorrow because I have an appointment."

"Is that tomorrow?" She sounds alarmed. "I thought it was next week."

"It's definitely tomorrow. I have a job interview scheduled. Is there a problem?"

"Yay, there is. I have a very important meeting with my publisher that I can't miss. It's in Knoxville, so I'm leaving early in the morning to drive there and I won't be back till very late. I'm so sorry. I got the date mixed up."

"It's okay, I'm just glad we realized it now. I guess I'll have to reschedule it."

"Can you ask Hunter?"

"God no! He'd ask me what the appointment was for and I don't want him to know I'm looking for another job. Not until I have everything lined up. Then I'll tell him."

"Where is this job, if you get it?"

"In northern California."

"What! That's so far away!"

"I know it is, that's why I put my name in for it. I can't stay around, Liz. As much as I will miss you, I can't be anywhere near Nashville. It would be too difficult to move on living in the same place as Hunter."

"I understand. I'm just going to miss you like crazy."

"Don't be sad yet. I haven't gotten the job and I probably won't because I need to reschedule the interview."

"What about Lynette and Leo? I've heard them tell you numerous times to call if you need any help."

"I could, I'm just afraid that it'll be awkward. I'm sure Hunter's told them about the break up."

"They are wonderful people. They will bend over backwards to not let it feel that way. Go a head and call them."

"Okay, you've convinced me. I will call in a bit, but I have a few other things I need to tell you before Harper wakes up from her nap."

"I'm listening."

"Well, I want you to know that I plan to move back into my apartment tomorrow afternoon, after my interview."

"But why?"

"I feel like I've taken advantage of your hospitality long enough. That and the fact that Harper wants to go swimming in her pool and she misses playing with Cole."

"Are you sure you're strong enough to start seeing Hunter everyday? And maybe even Renee?"

"I think I have it worked out. I'm going to ask him to text me right before he leaves every morning and when he does I'll open my apartment door that connects to his house. Harper can come waddling in and then I'll shut the door. Once I know he's gone, she and I can go hang out in the main house. Then when he's on his way home I will be sure to be in my apartment with Harps. I'll have him text me when he's in the hallway, then I'll open the door so she can go running into his arms."

"That sounds like a good plan, but what about Renee. What if she's there?"

"If she is I will try my hardest to avoid her. Keep in mind it may only be for a few weeks. If everything goes well with this job I'll be moving soon."

"But what about Harper? She loves you. "

"I know she does, but since Renee has been spending more time with her, Harper isn't as needy as she use to be. She's bonding with her mother, which is a good thing. It will make it easier on her when I leave."

"Wow, you have this all planned out and you seem so calm about it."

"Trust me, I still have my moments when I curl up into a ball and cry myself to sleep. Like almost ever night. I still love Hunter with my whole heart, but I know that raising Harper in a traditional family is very important to him. So I'm happy for him."

"You are one amazing woman, Lindsay Deans. I hope he realizes someday what he's giving up."

_____________

Looks like Hunter has made his choice... Sorry..

Don't hate me, please.

Feel free to comment, but nothing mean or hurtful, I would appreciate that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 5.1K 50
I been in an abusive relationship with the man I fell in love with. Everyone calls us the perfect couple and wants to be like us. They don't know wha...
9.9K 148 13
HALF-WRITTEN AND WILL NOT BE CONTINUING. READ MY NEW STORY - REBOUNDING WITH RAIN. CW/TW - CONTENT/ TRIGGER WARNING: Avery is a popular girl who has...
20.6K 367 52
You are an adopted child but your adopted love you as their own daughter. You took your younger sister place as a fiancée of a man you didn't know. A...
113K 5.5K 15
What happens when a 39 year old man falls head over heels for a 26 year old girl who is a complete opposite to him? A man who doesn't know defeat...