Shadow Of The Nightshade

By -blackbones

Shadow is an assassin because it was all she had ever known. With a mind that has been broken time and time a... More

(Important)
Part I
Going to Gotham.
Being Old and Empty Books.
Lost Memories and Confusion.
Pondering in The Air.
Meeting Him.
Silent Tears.
Slade Wilson.
Reconnaissance.
Fairytale Endings.
Part II
Secrets at Cadmus.
Protecting ULT.
Unraveling.
Encountering Him.
Incognita.
Mission Accomplished.
Interrogation (Part 1)
Interrogation (Part 2)
Interrogation (Part 3)
Darkness.
Darkness (2).
Song Bird (1).
Song Bird (2).
What They Want.
Round And Round
Nick Of Time (2).
A Stitch In Time.
More Of This?
What Happens When A Speedster...
What Happens When A Kryptonain...
Snippet.
To Be Or Not To Be.
Tantamount To Innocence.
Shocker.
Inked.
Questioned, And Answered.
The Foundation.
Needles, and Regrets.
The Killer And The Sadist.
Plans, and Strings.
Sticks and Stones.
Words Will Never. . .
Memories And Delusions.
Like Shattered Glass.
Part III
Mistrust.
Loss.
Therapy.
Trust?
Talking.
End.
Family.
Sold My Soul.
Showers.
Acknowledge That You've Been Beat.
Admitting That You're Jelly.
Out Of Luck.
Outfoxed.
Outclassed.
Surprises.
The Unexpected.
The Unexpected (2).
Sort of Expected.
If she dies, I die.
Lock Down.
Goodbye.
Mission Accomplished?.
Escape.
Straight To Voicemail.
Time.
I'll Do This For You.
Cat And Mouse.
The Nightshade.
Alfred Is The Ultimate Ninja Master.
Part IV
Day 1: •°Can't Let Go°•
•°Bitter Revelation°•
Day 3: °•Letting go°•
•°No Way°•
•°Day 6: The Foundation°•
Day 10: °•Understanding°•
Day 9: •°Bearable•°
Day 10: •°Broken Mirror•°
Day 9: •°Gabriel•°
Day 9:•°Elijah•°
Day 10: •°Discharge•°
Day 10: •°Breathe•°
Day 10: •°Names•°
Cue The Flash.
Call me Don.
BREAKING NEWS!
Killing.
Let's play.
Shall we die?
Rain, Rain, Go Away...
The Past.
To Kill.
I Know Her.
Robin and Shadow.
Chosen.
It was a deal.
I did. ..
It's Our Fault.
Robin, Where's Shadow?
Lilian.
Meeting Again.
Hate.
Belong
Team Shadow.
Three words.
Sleep.
Talking Again.
Just Because...
Sleep with a smile
Kitchen fever.
Blinded
Timothy.
Gabriel's visit (I)
Gabriel's visit (II)
Gabriel's visit (III)
Death

Nick Of Time(1).

1.8K 93 8
By -blackbones

-

'Why. . . did. . . you do that,' Robin wheezed, clutching his bruised side.

'Where. . . do you .keep your gloves.' Shadow said in reply, spitting in between words, hopefully cleansing her tongue.

'On my hands.' he quipped.

'Oh yeah? And where have your hands been?' She laughed, placing her hands on her hip.

His mouth opened to retort but snapped it shut. 'I'm not going to answer that.' he said.

'You better not have. Now, why did you hide me?' she asked, her voice slightly raised.

'The rest of the team doesn't particularly like you, and by that I mean, you should avoid all physical contact with them, whatsoever.' He said, his tone serious.

She nodded and stepped out of the shadows. 'So, you like me.'

He hit his head on the wall, more times than he should have. 'Is that all you got, from everything I said?'

She frowned, ignoring his remark. 'If you keep doing that, you might give yourself a concussion.'

And then she was lifted in the air by the collar of her shirt.

Robin groaned. 'Just my luck, Conner had to be coming this way too.'

He stepped forward. 'I better stop this before someone—Shadow—gets hurt, or worse, dead.'

Robin, Do not interfere. Batman's voice ordered through the comm, then the line went silent leaving static in it's wake.

Robin gritted his teeth and stepped back.

Damn, he hacked into my comm. He thought, shooting his grappling hook to the ceiling.

'You!' Superboy growled and Shadow winced.

Robin stayed hidden, crouched on a support beam overhead the seemingly one-sided fight. Shit! At this rate he's going to kill her.

He made a move forward.

Robin, stand down. His mentor's voice sprung up in his ear.

He groaned again. 'Fine, but if she dies it's your problem.'

'She won't.'

The comm clicked off.

'Your goons hurt M'gann.' Conner hissed.

'They, are not goons.' She said, looking him in the eye. 'And I apologize for being involved in the situation that caused your friend harm.'

Come on Conner, she apologized, now, set her down gently and be on your way.

He pressed his arm against her throat, completely cutting off her air supply. 'You'll be sorry when I'm done with you.'

Or not.

Shadow wrapped her fingers around the kryptonian's wrist and with her index and middle finger jabbed several points on his arm.

What is she. . .

Next, she kicked him off her, sending him straight into the wall.

Robin winced on impact. Ouch, that's got to hurt.

'Is that the only chokehold you heroes know? That is a little bit disappointing.' She said, taking deep breaths as she leaned against the wall.

Robin felt a twinge of discomfort when she said that. He knew multiple variations of the chokehold.

'What did you do?' Conner's calm voice growled.

Or not.

Shadow shrugged. 'I don't like being knocked unconscious.'

Conner charged. 'That wasn't an answer!'

'You know, that's the same thing—'

'—I said to her.' Robin finished for her.

Superboy's fist went flying, aimed for Shadow's face.

Using her index and middle finger, she shoved it away from her, flinching at the sound of the fist hitting the wall.

He pulled his hand from the wall and brought it to his side.

Whatever she did to him arm, must have worn off. Robin mused to himself.

The boy wonder sighed looking at the meteorite sized hole in the wall—a slight over exaggeration. Another hole to fix, just great.

'You know, that would have hurt if it hit me.' She smirked.

He charged at her again, this time with his both hands.

Seeing him reaching for her, she jumped up at the right moment, using his arms as a support to flip behind him.

He kept on swinging at her, his blows becoming more aggressive and powerful with each miss. Why can't I. . . land a single hit.

Robin was at the edge of his seat—or beam to be exact.

If she keeps this up, Conner might land a hit and. . .that won't end well.

'Ugh, stay!' Superboy swiped at her. 'Still!'

She turned to face him, her lip pursed in a frown. He seized the opportunity and charged.

Move, move, move. Robin chanted in his mind.

She didn't.

I hope you have a trick up your sleeve, can't have you dying on me. He thought, his eyes trained on the assassin.

She stayed rooted to floor.

Just my luck, she gets to die on my watch.

Conner threw a punch. Shadow wrapped her hand around his wrist, flipping over him again as she repeatedly hit various points along his torso.

He stumbled back.

She moved again, striking her palm flat on his chest. Drops of blood escaped the kryptonain's lips, splattering the floor with red.

Conner fell to the floor clutching his chest.

No, way. Robin thought with wide eyes.

Shadow brought her arm to her side taking a deep breath.

The boy wonder, still stunned by the event that just took place, absentmindedly answered the incoming transmission on his earpiece.

Robin, report for debriefing. Batman barked through the receiver.

Roger. Robin replied, his eyes falling on Shadow's crouching form next to the fallen kryptonian. Who exactly was she?

_=_

'Explain. Now!' Batman wasn't kidding around.

'We know each other.' Robin answered smoothly.

The Batman glared at him through the white slits of his cowl. 'We can clearly see that, the question is, how do you know her?'

'Oh? We first met about, one—or was it two—years ago. Yeah that's about it.' Robin laughed.

'How do you know her?' Batman scowled.

'She saved me from getting a bullet to the chest, and even if that wasn't the case, helped me escape an explosion.' He said flippantly.

'And when exactly was this?' Batman said, barely keeping his rage at bay.

'A certain blackmarket raid gone wrong. . . I remember specifically being grounded for a month after that.'

'Why wasn't I informed—'

'I didn't think it was important.' Robin said quietly.

'Not important!' Batman growled. 'You could have gotten killed, and it's not important.'

'I thought you'd just be happy I made it out alive!' Robin yelled back. 'Sorry for not reporting every single detail of my life to you!'

The leaguers watched the argument between the two partners, not knowing who to side with and deciding it was best not to get involved.

'According to her, you've met four times other than then and now. What are your reasons for not telling me?'

Robin stayed silent, his expression saying it all. You don't own me.

'Batman—' Green Arrow warned his friend.

The Dark Knight reluctantly shifted his gaze to the monitors the hero had gestured to. Artemis had drawn her bow, her arrow aimed at Shadow.

The leaguers made their way to the fight that was brewing, with Batman among them.

Robin made a move to follow his mentor.

'Stay here.' Batman ordered.

The older heroes exited the room, the monitors switched off and Robin was left alone in utter defeat.

_=_

'Silent Death.' Artemis whispered under her breath, her shaky hands dropping her bow.

Shadow smiled. 'We didn't give ourselves that name.'

She pressed the tip of the arrow deeper into the archer's neck, drawing blood. Artemis gasped in pain.

'People, in the same situation as you, gave us that title. I could kill you, you know?' Shadow whispered in her ear.

'Artemis!' Kidflash yelled as he raced into the room, ready to charge at the gangleader.

'Ah, ah, ah.' Shadow said, moving her free finger from side to side, 'Don't. Can't you see the situation your friend is in.'

The smoke around the pair had dissipated, allowing the speedster to see what was clearly in front of him. His eyes flew to the Artemis's pale face.

'Shadow!' The Dark Knight's harsh voice was thrown into the mix.

The heroes had been watching the exchange and decided to intervene at that moment.

She stared at him, blankly.

'Drop your weapon.' He continued.

Smiling, she cocked her head to the side. 'Why should I?'

He stepped forward, and she stepped back, pulling Artemis along with her.

'Batman.'

Her eyes narrowed, seeing the other leaguers behind the Bat.

The Arrow stepped forward. 'Shadow, let her go.' he said softly.

'Why?' she taunted.

Artemis's mentor clenched his fists, but remained silent.

'Shadow, I was looking for—' Robin started, pausing for a second, he analyzed the situation.

'Let her go,' he started, 'Please.'

Her hand loosened around the arrow involuntarily. Batman noticed.

She wouldn't listen to him, would she?

Shadow glared at him, her hand tightening around the stale of the arrow.

Robin looked into her eyes. He didn't see the eyes of a killer, just one of someone who wanted answers.

'We both know that you're not going to kill her. So what is it you want?' He asked, wanting to know if he could give her the answer her question.

'Robin,' Batman started, 'It isn't going to work, we already tried.'

Robin ignored his mentor.

What is it you want, Shadow? Robin thought, still gazing into her eyes.

She looked away, shifting her gaze to the floor.

'Why?' He barely heard her, but he did.

Why what? He wanted to asked.

'Why should I let her go?' She continued, almost as if she read his mind.

Just like I thought, the same question. If she doesn't stand down, we'll have to put an end to this. Batman thought through the mind link.

Why should you let her go?

Robin glanced at the members of the Justice League through the corner of his eye.

They are probably already thinking of a way to rescue Artemis, but what about you, what will they do to you?

He shook his head ever so slightly.

I see. What makes the two of you different? That people would want to fight for her, but, not you.

'Because,' he started, stepping forward, 'she's my friend'

'But it's more than that,' he said through his eyes, 'because she has people who care about her, and you don't.'

He could only hope she saw it.

Shadow stepped away from her and Artemis dropped to her knees, trembling.

'I see.' The assassin said, dropping the arrow.

Robin rushed to Artemis's side while Shadow clenched her fists in anger.

She turned around facing Robin. 'Where were you?' Venom dripped off her words.

The fear stricken archer stiffened.

'I was on an errand.' Robin replied vaguely as he got up.

She glared at him. 'So. . . it has nothing to do with Batman calling you?'

'No.' He said looking her right in the eye.

He could see that she wasn't really angry, but there was something else. . . Maybe relief?

'You know, this is all your fault.' she said, crossing her arms over her chest.

The hero smiled sheepishly. 'I know.'

_=_

All the heroes in the mission room watched the dialogue between Robin and Shadow, wondering if they had missed something.

'Let's make a deal.' Shadow said.

'I'm listening.' Robin replied, his interest strangely peaked.

'If your friends, don't fight me, I won't hurt them, you know, more than I already have' She let out a choked laugh.

'I'm good with that. They should have known better. We should pin this on Aqualad, I mean, he is the leader of the team.' Robin suggested, not wanting to get another tongue lashing from Batman.

'I agree, this is all Aqualad's fault.' Shadow agreed, mentally counting the heroes in the room. 'Where is he anyway, and the Martian too?'

Superboy clench his fists in rage. She has a name!

'I am not allowed to divulge any of that information.' Robin smirked.

'Is that so?' She chuckled as she walked past him.

'Wait, where are you going?' He turned to her, confused.

Her steps pause. 'Where else? My cell of course. This tour was very disappointing. . .'

'Hand over your weapons.' The bird demanded, stepping forward.

She put her hand on hip, cocking her head to the side. 'I thought all my weapons were arrogated from me, when I was knocked unconscious by you.'

So you want to play it this way.

The slits of his eyes narrowed, his arms crossed on his chest. 'I have reason to believe that you have more weapons on you. If you are not willing to cooperate, I will just have to strip search you.'

I can play this game too. Depends on who blinks first.

'Go ahead.' She told him.

Everyone looked at her with disbelief and the boy wonder smirked.

'No one is stripping.' Batman said, clearing his throat. What is wrong with this girl, from lethal to vulgar in seconds.

'Is it me or did things get awkward, fast?' Flash coughed.

'You tell me.' The Amazonian sighed.

Robin raised an eyebrow at the gangleader but otherwise said nothing.

'Moving on.' She announced. 'I can't reveal where my weapons are for two reasons. One, I have no real cause to use them. Two, I don't know in what filthy place you'll keep them.'

'You can't be serious.' Black Canary groaned.

'I don't think this place is very sanitary to keep my weapons.'

'That's stupid.' Superboy commented. 'They'll be taken from you either way.'

'I know, I know, but still—' She sidestepped an arrow, not one bit surprised as it flew past her.

'I'll gladly give you a reason.' Artemis growled, loading three arrow into her bow.

'Artemis.' Her mentor cautioned.

Stepping forward, Shadow smirked. 'No, this is perfect.'

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

475K 12.8K 25
Bruce gets a wake up call when Alfred 'accidently' signs him up for foster care. Now Bruce must take care of a teenage girl named Kaine, while still...
300 13 1
At first, it was a regular night for Bruce as he went out through the night as the dark vigilante, Batman. As time ticked by, the night grew - stran...
407K 14.1K 38
All her life, Asteria had been raised to be one thing and one thing alone: a killer. And she's good at it. Why wouldn't she be, when she's been trai...
4.6K 214 25
Harley Quinn has been captured, yet her boyfriend is still large. It's only been a few weeks, but she is already feeling the long effects of prison...