Choices the third of four in...

By CPDRuzekfan

The last in a series please read Shattered and Forgiven before you read this one. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Just a question!

Chapter 35

523 9 4
By CPDRuzekfan

Declan waited outside the office, his leg shaking nervously he needed this, he was tired of his mother having to bust her ass just to make ends meet. Tired of not being able to do things because they didn't fit in the budget. Trey was lucky, he had escaped it all moved out on his own it was just him and Charlie at home and he was fed up with being poor.

Even his grandparents had lost their fortune, sure he could ask his Aunt Kim, she would give him whatever he wanted but it wasn't worth the wrath of his mother. She had flipped out on him when he had gone to the sporting good store with his Uncle Adam and got new lacrosse equipment, she made him 'work it off' and he hated every minute of it.

The door opened, "You Declan?" an older man asked, one he hadn't seen before.

"Yea, I am" he stood up.

He motioned for him to enter the office, "what the fuck kind of name is Declan?" He laughed.

"Don't know" he shrugged his shoulders, "I didn't pick it"

"Guess you didn't" he laughed, "I'm Johnny, your 'provider', so to speak" he pulled a chair out for Declan to sit in, he pulled the package out of a drawer. "We're starting you with this, let's see how quickly you can move it" he handed it to him.

Declan took it and put it in his backpack, "I will have it gone by the end of the week"

Johnny smirked, "you're confident, I like it" he took a small bag from the top drawer, "this is for you, a little somethin, somethin" he winked, "be smart kid, if you get caught you don't know me or anyone who works for me, got it?"

Declan stood up and took the Baggie, putting in his pocket "I do, and I won't get caught"

"Way to go Anthony!" Adam yelled as Anthony sunk yet another shot in the basket, Kevin jumping up and down court side.

"That's my boy A-Dawg!" Kevin yelled as Anthony came off the court, "you got serious game little Ruzek!" He handed him a bottle of water, "that's ten buckets tonight, take a breather kiddo" he tousled his hair.

"Did I do good?" Anthony asked seeking his approval.

"You did, buddy" Kevin gave him a fist bump.

Anthony turned to face the bleachers, "Daddy, Uncle Kevin said I did good!" He beamed, Adam coming down the bleachers to sit behind him.

"You sure did buddy, and I recorded it so we can show Mommy when we get home" he quickly showed him one of the videos.

"Can we show Uncle Derek too?"

"Of course, we can show anyone who wants to see it" the buzzer signaling the end of the game, "you better join your team" Adam pointed to the boys who had formed a circle around Kevin.

Adam waited until Kevin finished talking with the boys and their parents, "Atwater, my kid's the best, isn't he?"

"Shut your mouth Ruzek!" He laughed, "we don't need that getting out, but yea Anthony has some serious game for a four year old"

"Almost five Uncle Kevin don't you remember?"

"My bad" he smiled, "it's surprising he's so good, since you totally suck" he shoved Adam.

"Uncle Kevin we don't say suck, mommy said that's not a nice word" he sat on the basketball, "I'm hungry dad"

"Alright, we are gonna go, tell him bye"

"Later Uncle Kevin"

"See you at practice"

"Hey baby, Harper in bed?" Adam asked, kissing her cheek, "our boy was on fire tonight, 10 buckets"

"Yea, she passed out on the floor playing" Kim told him, "I assume they when won?"

"They did, thanks to Anthony" Adam gloated, "I took him out for pizza, hope you don't mind"

"I figured you did, Annie came over with Drew so we ordered Chinese" Kim said as she watched Anthony play with his cars, "I'm biased but I think he's the cutest little boy on the planet" she smiled.

"Well, he does look just like his daddy"

"You really need to work on your self esteem, Adam" she teased, "I missed you"

Helen couldn't ignore the growing pit in her stomach any longer, she decided it was time to call Adam, as she dialed she heard the door open.

Relief filled her when she spotted her son, she hung the phone up, "Declan Edward Burgess where the hell have you been? Practice ended at six thirty and it's almost nine" she folded her arms, the last few months he had changed. He was no longer the boy who was eager to please and followed the rules to a 'T'.

"Relax, Ma" he told her putting his lacrosse bag in the laundry room, "a couple of guys from the team hung out at the mall and I went with them" he started for his room.

"You know that little rectangle thing usually attached to your hand?" She asked sarcastically, "it's not just to play stupid games, it makes phone calls too!"

"Yea, yea, I get it. My bad" he rolled his eyes, "won't happen again"

"Damn right it won't, you're grounded for a week" she told him, "you go to school and lacrosse and that's it!" She didn't have the heart to take lacrosse from him, it was what had kept his head above water after Daniel's death.

"Whatever" he told her, slamming his door.

"Daddy said I'm the best, and Uncle Kevin said daddy sucks!" Anthony laughed over his bowl of fruit loops.

Kim placed her palm on the countertop, "Anthony Owen, what have I told you about bad words?"

Anthony's eyes found the floor, "just because Daddy says them doesn't mean I can" he repeated his bottom lip forming a pout, it had become a frequent occurrence, Adam had a mouth that would embarrass a drunken sailor.

"Thank you" she told him, "that also includes Uncle Kevin, Uncle Jay and Uncle Sean" it was amazing he didn't curse more often considering the men in his life, "and you are the best" earning a grin from her son.

"More!" Harper used her spoon to hit the tray of her high chair, "more" her bowl empty.

Kim filled the bowl, "you are your father's child, Harper Grace"

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean?" Adam asked fresh from the shower, "you sleep well?" He winked.

"It means she becomes a monster when food is involved, and yes I slept incredibly well" hinting at the previous night's activities she laughed, "you clean up nice" she told him running her hand down his cheek, "what did Helen want?" She asked him.

Adam sat down, the newspaper in his hand, "She wants me to talk to Declan, she's worried about him" he scanned the sports page, "he didn't get home until after nine last night when his practice ended at 6:30" he explained.

"What does she want you to do?" Kim loved her nephew but he was as stubborn as a mule, "he's pretty hard headed"

Adam laughed, "Okay babe, pot meet kettle" he said.

"Shut up!" She swatted his arm, "please try and help him, I know Phil has tried and he got nowhere"

Adam folded the newspaper avoiding the actual news, he had a front row seat to the ugliness in the world he didn't need to read about it as well, "I will but how come Trey hasn't tried?"

"Back to that whole hard headed mess" she explained. "Helen said Trey has tried and it just ends up in a fight, so Trey quit trying"

Declan took the bag from his jeans pocket and locked it in his desk drawer. He wasn't sure what the two pink pills would do to him but he did know what would happen if his mother found them.

He had already hidden some of his 'product' not willing to take it all to school, he was thankful for the padlock on his door. It still blew him away that his mother allowed it, the only catch was she wanted a key too. He tried not to think about that too much, the lock had been on the door for months and she hadn't used her key yet.

"Declan! The bus will be here any minute!" Helen roared, his attitude lately made her want to scream.

She finally heard his door shut, and the clicking of the pad lock "Finally, please have a good day today and try to find a way to stay out of the principal's office please" she begged him.

"Don't worry, Ma. I will do my best impersonation of the perfect Trey" he wore a scowl on his face almost 24/7 lately,

"Practice this afternoon?"

"Yea, I can go to that right?"

"I already told you could, but straight home afterwards. I mean it Declan" she tried to wipe the corner of his mouth.

"Ma, really?" He asked yanking his head away and using his sleeve to wipe his mouth, "later"

She tried to kiss his cheek, "I gotta go" he moved away and out the door.

Helen had thought Daniel's death had affected Charlie the most out of her three children, Charlie had been the prototypical daddy's girl. Declan's behavior the last three or four months was beginning to alter her opinion. She made a mental note to call their family counselor to set up an appointment, it had been about a year or so since Daniel's death but she couldn't help but wonder if Declan was having a delayed reaction of some sort.

Adam waited in the exam room, he was hoping he'd finally be free of the cast and allowed to return to full duty.

"Knock knock" the doctor said quickly before opening the door not waiting for a response from Adam.

"How are you?" He asked Adam, "your latest X-rays look great" he told him already reading the latest films, "what do you say we cut that thing off?"

"Hell yes! Can I return to full duty?" Adam asked tired of sitting at a desk.

"Absolutely, you've healed nicely" he told him, "I will have my nurse get the paperwork ready" he told him as he got the saw ready to remove the cast, "you can go back to protecting this city, lord knows we need it lately" he shook his head, "I gotta ask, are you guys doing anything to help with the drug scene?"

Adam groaned, "we are, it's bad out there Doc, but we are working hard to bring them down, it's just a matter of time"

"Good to hear"

Declan sat in the cafeteria, trying to figure out the best place to handle transactions and other than out in the ball fields, this was the next best spot. The ladies who worked in the cafeteria never paid much attention to the students and he knew no one would question him. It was almost as if the cafeteria was a free for all, the teachers hardly ever stepped foot in it and the cafeteria staff couldn't be bothered.

In other words, it was perfect.

He knew he needed to get the word out that he had product, he knew he just needed one person he scanned the cafeteria. He found the biggest pot head he knew he went to him taking the seat opposite him.

"Hey Jeff, how's it going?" His eyes continuing to scan the cafeteria.

"What do you want?" Jeff asked pushing the meatloaf around on his tray.

"Actually, I'm asking you what you want" he grinned, "I've come in to some good stuff, just say the word"

"I've already got a guy" he wasn't going to flake out on his dealer.

Declan shook his head and leaned in closer, "I got pills man. Some oxy and plus ecstasy too" his voice a whisper, he pulled a pill from his pocket, "consider this a sample, I got more too"

Jeff took the pill from him, "yea? You're in the game, now?"

"I am, I can get you what you need. Just say the word" he grabbed his bag, "tell your friends too" he walked out, knowing word would get around.

"Burgess, start running" Coach LaFontaine yelled when Declan arrived late to practice, "it's gotta stop son" punctuality hadn't been his strong suit as of late.

"Sorry Coach" Declan told him as he started to run, he couldn't believe how fast word had spread, he was walking on air. He'd already sold a thousand dollars worth, thankful his mother allowed his aunt and uncle to pay the tuition to the swanky private school he attended, "I was getting some make up work for my math class, gotta get that grade up" he winked at him.

"That's good, son" the coach clapped him on the back as he ran by, "just ten laps, then grab your gear"

Adam watched the practice from the bleachers, he was amazed by his nephew's skill level, he didn't know much about lacrosse but he could tell the kid was good.

The practice finally ended and Adam jogged down to the field, "Hey, kid" he said his hand on Declan's  shoulder, "you up for a guy's night? Just me and you?"

Declan shrugged, "I guess. Does my mom know?"

"Yea, I've already called her. It's cool" Adam told him, he knew better than to admit his mother had asked him to do it. "Grab some burgers or something?"

Declan smiled, "yea, sounds good"

"How's school?" Adam asked adding ketchup to his burger, "keeping your grades up?"

"Yea" Declan told him unsure where he was headed with his line of questioning, "I guess, my math grade is shit but I'm working on it. Coach won't let me play if I don't get at least a B"

"You're a smart kid, you can do it" Adam told him, "when's your next game?"

"Saturday morning" he told him, "Uncle Adam?"

"Yea?"

Declan suddenly nervous, "do you think you could come to one of my games?" His mother hardly ever showed up and Trey was always busy.

Adam smiled, "I would love to, kid. I bet Anthony would love to come to one as well, he can't come this weekend but I will be there"

"Thanks" he smiled, and returned to devouring his burger.

"I'm happy to see you still up" Adam said as he sat on the edge of the bed, "the kids behave for you?" He kicked his shoes off and put his gun in the safe.

"They did, Anthony is a daredevil though, I caught him trying to jump off the top bunk" she told him, "I need you to take them apart, he doesn't listen and he's gonna end up giving me a heart attack"

"You got it" he climbed into bed, "I'm going to Declan's game Saturday. I know Anthony would love to go but the first one I'd like it to be just me" he explained, "Something's up with Declan and maybe if it's just me he'll open up"

Kim leaned over and kissed him.

"Wow, I'm not gonna complain but I wasn't expecting that" Adam laughed.

"I couldn't resist, thank you for looking out for my nephew" she rested her head on his chest.

Adam rubbed her back, "Declan's my nephew too, and he needs someone to look out for him, someone he can talk too"

Declan waited for Johnny to show up, deciding to meet at a parking lot across from the school, he kept checking his watch the game started in a hour.

"Hey Kid, you got my money?" Johnny asked climbing out of the car.

Declan grinned, "that I do. Here you go" he handed him the roll of cash, "three g's and some" he crossed his arms, "it's a decent haul for a week don't you think?"

Johnny fanned the money out, "good work kid" he pulled Declan's portion out and put the rest of the money in his jacket pocket, "here's your cut"

He took the money and counted it quickly, five hundred "five bills?"

"Yea, keep it up and maybe you'll get a raise" he handed him more product, "remember-"

"I know, I don't know you" Declan finished for him, "I got a game I will see you next week"

Declan hustled to the school barely getting changed and on the field in time, quickly checking the crowd and spotting Adam among the spectators, "Hey Uncle Adam!" He called out pointing his stick at him, Adam waving in response.

Adam was throughly enjoying the game, Declan already having scored three goals, he felt sick as he watched an opposition player flatten Declan from behind.

"Hey Ref!" Adam called out, "you see that?" He wasn't alone in voicing his opinion the entire home side of the field was on their feet.

Adam held his breath waiting for Declan to get up, the coach and a medical trainer running out on to the field Declan obviously in pain clutching his right knee. He went down to the field, "I'm his uncle" he told one of the coaches, "can I go see him?

"Yea, go. It's bad" he told him, "it's his knee"

Adam kneeled down beside him, his helmet already off, "hey kid, you okay?"

Declan leaned on his elbows, "it hurts, I heard something pop" he explained trying to keep from crying, "can I see it?"

Adam had glanced at the injury already he could tell his knee was dislocated and who knew what other damage had been done, "don't look at it, the ambulance is coming" the medics already on their way on to the field. "I'm sorry bud" he rubbed his cheek.

"This sucks Uncle Adam"

"I know man, that guy was an ass" he looked over his shoulder the ref having already thrown the player out.

Adam helped Declan in the house, having spent over four hours in the emergency room the preliminary diagnosis being a dislocated knee cap and torn ligaments with the possibility of surgery, "Try and rest kid, hopefully it won't be so bad" Adam helped him in the bed, he slid the desk chair beside the bed, "here, you can use this to get around the room"

Declan nodded, as Adam started to leave he stopped him, "Thanks for coming Uncle Adam, I'm sorry I didn't play the whole game"

Adam smiled, "are you kidding kid? You did great, just wish that punk didn't cheap shot you"

"Thanks"

Declan waited until he left the room, carefully he got in the chair and used the crutch to propel him to his desk. He opened the drawer and grabbed the two pills, "Now is as good a time as any" he said, "my knee is wrecked might as well take these, won't be playing anytime soon" he knew he wouldn't be drug tested if he wasn't an active player. He popped them in his mouth and downed half the bottle of water and got back in his bed and waited for the pills to take effect.

---NOTE---

The next few chapters won't have a whole lot of Burzek/Linstead, it's going to be very 'Declan/Adam'.

If you've already read the note you've been given a spoiler unintentionally, my bad! Please keep it under wraps, part of the problem of writing multiple stories at one time including the same characters sometimes you mix 'em up and don't realize until afterwards!!

Please don't spill it!!!

As always, thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.7K 314 26
Jay halstead always getting himself hurt so here is Halstead hurt a-z. Please read. Xxx
11.9K 117 10
Kim Burgess and Adam Ruzek have gone their separate ways. What happens when shit goes sideways for Kim, who will be the one she leans on? My first (a...
266K 3.3K 37
Adam Ruzek's little sister just got home from a very long work trip away from everyone. When she find's out that her best friend Jay Halstead just go...
79K 1.1K 74
To the outside world Adam Ruzek had it all, a promising career, a beautiful wife and a baby on the way. That's all about to change when one event cha...