Choices the third of four in...

By CPDRuzekfan

The last in a series please read Shattered and Forgiven before you read this one. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Just a question!

Chapter 25

560 11 6
By CPDRuzekfan

"You're what?" Bob asked, "I swear it sounded like you just said you're pregnant but that's not possible, right?" He was certain he heard her wrong, "say something"

She folded her arms, "Dad you heard right, I'm pregnant. Derek and I are going to get married, and I hope you will  accept Derek, because he isn't going anywhere"

"Honey, after what happened with Kim, I can only be happy about this, sure it's a lot sooner than I would have liked but if you're happy I'm happy" he smiled, "you'll have to give me some time to get used to the idea of you marrying Derek, I will do my best to lighten up on him"

"Thank you daddy, it means the world to me" she smiled, "Amy, I hope you're okay with this too, you are, right?"

"Of course I am, sweetie. I can't wait for another grand baby to spoil"

Kim kept running her hands down her thighs, "this is strange Adam, I know I'm touching my legs but they feel like they belong to someone else" she tried to keep the fear out of her voice.

"Dr.Lee said you'll regain feeling in your legs soon, it's just a matter of time" he told her sitting down beside her.

"Can you bring me a mirror?" She asked, "I need to see how bad my face looks"

"You're beautiful as always" he told her "but if you insist" he grabbed a mirror from the drawer, "here"

She held it in her hands, "my god, Adam"

"Stop, it's not that bad. Once they heal you won't even notice them" he told her, "please don't do worry about the scars" he kissed her, "I almost lost you, the scars are irrelevant" he leaned in kissing her again.

A knock on the door interrupted the kiss, "come in" Adam called out, "Hey Sean, Kara" he stood shaking Sean's hand and giving Kara a hug, "Sean, I never got the chance to thank you for staying with Kim at the scene and riding in the ambo with her"

"No thanks needed Adam, she's my best friend" he kissed her forehead "you scared the shit out of me you know" he smiled softly, "don't ever do that again, got it?"

"I won't" she smiled, wincing in pain as Adam sat on the bed.

"Did I hurt you?" Adam asked her.

"It wasn't you, it's just my whole body aches" she took his hand, "you could never hurt me"

"Maybe we should go Sean, Kim you look exhausted" she smiled "You don't look so hot either Adam"

"We will stop by later in the week, take care of her Ruzek" Sean said as he took Kara's hand in his, "Oh, Dawson pinched the driver earlier today. We got him dead to rights, he's going away"

"Thank you" Adam was relieved, "tell Dawson I said thanks"

"Adam, why don't you go home and get some sleep, you look like shit" she smiled, as she ran her hand over his cheek, "you're in dire need of a shave too"

"I'm not leaving you, I'm fine" he told her "do you want something to eat?"

"They're sending dinner in a little bit, I already ordered something, they came by when you fell asleep earlier" he had slept barely twenty minutes, he woke up in a panic.

Annie knocked on the door, "can I come in?"

"Of course you can!" Adam went to the door and hugged her, "I've missed you" he told her, Kim smiled as the two embraced, "come sit down"

"It's good to see something good come from this" Kim told her, "how are my babies?"

"When I left they had my dad building a blanket fort, it's pretty funny to see him cave to every demand they make" she smiled, imagining her own child with her dad, "he's a wonderful grandfather"

Adam laughed, "you'll never guess what Kim said earlier" he laughed just thinking about it "she said you're pregnant, she really did hit her head pretty hard to be thinking that, right?"He watched as Annie looked increasingly uncomfortable and exchanged an awkward glance with Kim.

"Wait, what am I missing? You're really pregnant?" He asked getting up from the bed.

"Adam, I didn't know how to tell you" Annie told him, fearful whatever progress they had made was just blown to shit. "Plus, I hadn't known all that long, and with the accident" she explained, watching as her brother paced.

Adam paced, his hands jammed in his pockets "I got to get out of here" he muttered as he walked out.

"Adam!" Kim called out.

"I will be back" he yelled from the hallway.

"I'm sorry, I was trying to remember what happened and it slipped. I guess I was sort of confused about everything" Kim tried to explain, "I'm so sorry"

Annie patted her leg "it's not your fault, don't worry about it"

"Did you tell Derek?" Kim asked, "what about Bob and Amy?"

"Derek is excited, Amy too" she sat down, "my dad is trying, he said after what happened with your accident he could only be happy, but I don't think he's all that happy"

"Here's your dinner" a man rolled a food cart in, "enjoy"

"Thank you" Kim said when he handed her the tray, "looks delicious" she lied.

Annie laughed, "that looks disgusting" she watched as Kim picked at it, "how are you feeling, really feeling not what you've been telling Adam, are you okay?"

"I will be fine once I can feel my legs again" Kim told her, "How has Adam been, I'm worried about him"

Annie flipped through a magazine, "Kim, he scared me. I haven't seen him so lost and scared before, my brother isn't afraid of anything. Last night he wasn't the Adam I knew, it took three people to pull him off of Derek, while he was holding Anthony" she felt another wave of nausea hit, "excuse me"

She came out of the bathroom, "when does this stop?" She asked pouring herself a cup of water, "it's unreal"

"It depends" she told her, still focused on what she had told her "Adam went after Derek with my son in his arms? Is that what you're telling me?" Adam was lucky she had no feeling in her legs, it was the only thing keeping her from kicking his ass "is Anthony okay? What about Derek?"

"They're both fine. Don't be mad at Adam, he didn't expect to see Derek just outside the waiting room. I'm pretty sure Derek's face was the last face he wanted to see, Derek wanted to wait in the car but I begged him to come inside"

"Please be patient with Adam, especially now. He's a mess" Kim told her, "I can't imagine how hard it must have been for him"

"I will Kim. I called him super early this morning, I couldn't sleep. I was worried about you, him" she explained "he actually apologized for going after Derek, it blew me away"

Kim smiled, "he has his moments"

Adam sat outside, he wasn't sure how he was going to deal with the his sister having the child of the man who killed Wendy, he was torn. Kim's accident had put everything in perspective but the baby added a new wrinkle.

"What's up Adam?" Jay asked sitting beside him, "you okay?"

Adam laughed, "I don't know man. I just found out not only is my sister dating the man that killed my first wife, she's also pregnant. Needless to say I don't know what I am"

"Shit. It's not that baby's fault though" Jay told him, "good thing you have time to get used to it"

"I think I can get used to the kid, it's him I can't see myself getting used to. I'm gonna have to sit across a fucking table from the man who killed Anthony's mother"

Jay rolled his eyes, "listen, I don't know what I would do in your position, but shit Adam you can't keep bringing it up. Especially the way you do it, it's gotta be a like a knife in Kim's heart every time you say that"

Adam looked up at him, "no it's not, Kim gets it"

Jay laughed, "you aren't this stupid are you?"

"You aren't this much of a dick, are you?" Adam countered, "I'm just saying Kim understands the situation"

"No doubt, but it doesn't mean your words don't hurt" she had talked with Erin about it on numerous occasions, "she's talked to my wife about it Adam"

Adam leaned back against the bench and rolled his neck "I'm a bastard, aren't I?"

"No, you aren't. You just need to cut your sister some slack, and let Wendy's death go. I know your marriage was shit, and you're holding on to her death as some way to deal with your guilt. Its time to make like Elsa, and let it go" Jay smiled, "and yes I just used a Frozen reference, don't judge me"

Adam laughed, "Shit Halstead, I didn't know Disney movies did it for you, my niece loves that fucking movie, she has Anthony singing it" he patted Jay's back, "I don't care what Hank says you aren't as stupid as you look"

"Hank says that?"

"I'm just busting your balls, man. Come on up, Kim would love to see you" Adam stood.

"I can't, I was just here catching up with my brother, I gotta get home"

"Where do you think he went?" Annie asked her, as she flipped through the channels, "I don't want to leave until he gets back, I need to make sure we're okay"

"I'm sure he didn't go far" Kim told her stopping when she saw him walk in, "hey you"

"Are you happy Annie? Really happy?" Adam asked her his arms folded across his chest.

"Yes, Derek is a good man. He loves me, and I love him" Annie told him, "Adam he makes me happy"

"I guess that's all that matters, right? It's not gonna happen overnight, hell it may take months but I'm willing to try with Derek. I'm not making promises though, I don't plan on being friends with him, but I will be civil to him. For your sake and the sake of my niece or nephew, if it's a boy you should name him Adam" he smiled, opening his arms for his sister.

She ran to him, "thank you big brother, I love you" she wiped her eyes, "and I don't know about the name, one Adam is enough, don't you think?"

"Please go home Adam, you need to sleep" she glanced at the clock "it's after midnight, when's the last time you slept more than an hour?"

"I don't know" he told her, "I'm not leaving you so quit asking"

An orderly knocked on the door "Dr.Halstead said to bring this up" he said wheeling a cot in, he set it up next to Kim's bed, "he said you need to sleep too Mr.Ruzek"

"Thanks" Adam said as he plopped down on the bed "happy now?"

"Can you push it closer to me?" She asked, she knew sleep would be easier to come by if he was beside her.

"Done" he said as he butted up against the bed she was in, "this is perfect, I will have to thank Will in the morning"

He kicked his shoes off, and pulled the his t-shirt over his head and laid down on the bed, he grabbed her hand, "how are your legs?"

She sighed "nothing" she looked over at him, "where did you go earlier?"

"Just outside, ran into Jay" he turned on his side so he was facing her, "we talked, you told Erin that it hurt when I would bring up Wendy?"

She groaned, "Erin has a big mouth, it's silly I know but yea it hurt when you would refer to Derek as the 'man who killed Anthony's mother' I get it, he did cause the accident and she was his mother. It just hurt, I can't explain it"

"Yea, well that's gonna stop. I have to let it go, if I want to keep Annie in my life." He told her as he leaned over and kissed her, "I love you, I can't tell you how scared I was, I was out of my mind"

"I heard, you went after Derek with our four year old in your arms, you obviously weren't thinking"  she held his hand, "what prompted the change?"

"You won't believe me if I tell you" he smiled, "Jay Halstead"

"You're gonna have to run that by me again, babe" Derek laughed, "your brother is gonna give us his blessing?"

"Woah, don't get crazy. He just asked if you made me happy, and I told him you did" she kissed him, "and he said he would be civil and give you a chance for me and the baby" she ran her hand down his chest, "I'm hopeful he will be able to put the past in the past and forge some sort of relationship with you"

----Authors Note-----

The next chapter will have a fairly large time jump, sorry this one isn't the best and a bit shorter.  I hope to have the next one posted tonight, but if not by mid-week.

Thanks for reading!

-Kristi

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 34 13
One drink, one mistake. One is filled with guilt, while the other is distraught after finding out devastating news her husband is oblivious to until...
11.9K 117 10
Kim Burgess and Adam Ruzek have gone their separate ways. What happens when shit goes sideways for Kim, who will be the one she leans on? My first (a...
3K 39 8
One shots about our favorite cops☺️ Requests are always accepted, I'll write almost anything but if I don't think I can write something I'll let you...
133K 1.4K 60
This is my first fanfic, I've read quite a few and want to give it a shot. This story is untitled at the moment and will focus on Adam Ruzek and Kim...