Artful Deceit & Love

By thatdesinari

Three strong individuals Three powerful royals Three wishful desires But these very desires webs them togeth... More

Theme + Characters
1.Arranged
2.First meeting
3.The Ring
4.Meeting the stranger
5.Meeting him
6.Rivalry
7.Jerkface
8.Meeting him again!
9.A friendly date!
10.Jealousy
11.Concern
12.Power Couple
13.Just one date!
14.Something unique
15.Silence before the storm!
16.Futile Attempts
17. Beginning of deceit
18. Logic versus Emotions!
19. A distracting ploy!
20. In love!
21. Friends!
22. White Rose
23. Impression!
24. Belongs to you!
25.Reality
26. Wishful thinking
27. Conceited
28. I hate you!
29. The Proposal
30. Acceptance
31. Exclusively mine!
32. Bad dream
33. Closed door
34. Lies we tell
35. Defiance
36. Some answers
37. The Truth
38. A way with words
39. Home
41. Platonic
42. A mere chess piece
43. Not a puppet
44. My person

40. Reception Party

273 38 4
By thatdesinari

Unedited

Uday's POV

Her car was nowhere to be found as I cut the engine of my car in front of her parent's house. Before I could get myself to call the security to ask for her location, I noticed my father's car parked in the parking space.

I took hurried steps in the house only to be welcomed by my  infuriated looking Baba Sa. He had been talking to her father and I knew he wouldn't have tried to pacify my father.

"Baba..."  

My father cut me off as he questioned Mr. Chauhan politely. "Can I talk to my son in private, Narayan?"

There was disappointment as he said the word son.

I saw my father-in-law nod and he ordered one of the helpers to lead us to his home office.

I glanced around once before closing the door and turning to face him. He settled down on one of the sofas and looked at me.

"Your father-in-law called...what is this that I am hearing, Uday? You got married."

"You wanted me to get married. So, why are you furious now?" I know I was taking someone else's anger out on him.

"That is not the answer I want, Boy!"

My father is usually calm but he is the last person I would trifle with when he is angry.

"Did you force her to marry you?" He asked.

He gave me a sardonic laugh. "Maybe you are walking in your grandfather's footsteps."

"I am not like him." I enunciated each word with emphasis.

"So, why did you marry her?"

He looked straight at my eyes to search for the answer. "I know you don't love her."

"And why would you say that?" I asked as I kept an impassive stance.

"Because I see ego and arrogance in your eyes...and where there is love, there is only devotion and surrender." His definition of love is so flawed. I am sure as hell that love never feels this way. 

"Now, tell me the real reason!"

"You want to win this election and for that we need to make this family stronger and I am sure that Mridula is the answer." I answered back with a calm tone.

"So, this is all a deal for you...but how did you make her agree to all of this?" 

Her face clouded my thoughts. I clearly remembered what I had to do to convince her and I didn't need a recap, not even in my own mind.

"Whatever it is, it is between me and my wife now."

My Baba Sa looked at me stunned. We usually don't keep secrets from each other but I want to keep this secret hidden for as long as possible.

I have to cover this up.

"This is what you wanted to hear right...that I turned out to be just like him. But no..."

My father's face etched with confusion.

"I don't know about love. But I married her because I didn't want anyone else to take her away from me. I like spending time with her."

Even if we fight for most of the time. I wanted to say but I kept that to myself.

I waited for him to lash out at me. But as I looked up, I only saw a smile on his face.

"What?" I asked. I had expected him to be disappointed that I didn't  follow his footsteps.

"Nothing. I will let you figure this out by yourself."

Our conversation was interrupted by a knock and soon, her beautiful head peeped in through the door.

What am I supposed to figure about here?

My Baba Sa smiled at her and asked her to enter.

"I know I should be mad with this secret wedding of yours. But I am not..." He looked at me while he said this.

"Welcome to the family, Beta!" Mridula smiled at his words and only I knew what truly lies behind that pretty smile of hers.

"I'll leave you two. I have a few things to discuss with your in-laws." Baba Sa excused himself, leaving the two of us alone.

Mridula spun around to leave and I tugged her back by holding her wrist. I looked ahead to double check if my father had left.

"You have some nerve leaving me in that parking lot."

She smirked at those words and I knew she felt proud for what she had done.

"It was fun." She whispered to herself.

"I think I like your face the only time when I do something shocking and you have this stunned expression. I love that expression a lot." She exaggerated her words with animated eyes and gestures.

"Where were you?" I asked her, trying to divert the conversation away.

"I had gone to my firm but then they started asking questions so I came back."

I didn't know why but all the anger vanished as I saw her solemn face. I should comfort her but I chose otherwise.

"I expect you to stop pulling stunts like that anymore. Everyone will know soon and we will constantly be in the public eye and I don't want to deal with these childish behaviors of yours."

She folded her arms in front of her chest and looked at me with raised eyebrows. "Childish behavior?"

I nodded and replied. "Try to act like a perfect wife."

Her gaze softened and I wanted to know what was going on in her head. "I am more than that, Uday..."

"But it doesn't matter, you wouldn't understand." She completed as she looked away.

I had this urge to grab her face and make her explain herself. She turned around and bolted out before I even got a chance to ask her anything.

As I made my way to where all the discussions were happening, I saw her sitting next to father. And I knew that she had done that on purpose.

I sighed internally as I sat down on the spare sofa next to my father. He was talking to her mother about some after wedding ritual that I could care less about.

"Since the wedding has already happened..." Mr. Chauhan spoke up as he looked at Mridula and then at me.

"I think we will just have to keep a reception party." Her mother agreed and Baba Sa didn't seem to have a problem.

"But what will we say about this secret wedding of yours, Uday?" He threw the question at me.

"I'll handle all of that, Mr. Chauhan." I gave him a curt reply and from the corner of my eyes saw my father giving me a look to not mess this up. 

~~~~~~

I was standing on the balcony staring at the night sky when I felt her eyes on my back. I turned around and then sat down at one of the bamboo chairs in her balcony.

"Here, drink this!" She forwarded a glass of warm milk as I looked up to her.

"And why this sudden concern for me...Have you mixed something in it." I asked with deadpan eyes. I tried not to let my eyes skim down her bare arms that showed through her sleeveless night dress.

She huffed and then placed the glass down at the glass and bamboo table in front of the chair set. She then sat down on the other chair while shifting her body to face me.

"Didn't you sleep last night?" I was a little taken back from the little care that flashed in her eyes.

After I had seen her fall asleep, I couldn't get myself to stop thinking about her relation with that boy in that picture.

So, I went down to the garden area to clear my mind and also ordered Guarav to find out about him.

I have never felt inferior about my looks but for some unknown reason, I wished even I had blue eyes like that boy.

She cleared her throat making me stare at her face. "How did you know?"

"My mom told me. She also scolded me for not taking care of you. So..." She moved the glass closer to me with an impish smile.

"Can I ask you something, Mridula?" I knew she had follow-up questions that I didn't want to answer. She nodded and I looked straight into her eyes.

"The scar near your left knee, how did you get that?" Her eyes lowered as she looked at her knee and then back at me.

"This was because of a trekking accident. I fell off my mountain bike and injured my knee."

"So, you just randomly fell off the bike?" I have to be more careful around her...can't let her get hurt under my watch. 

She shook her head as she tucked some of her hair behind her ear. Her cheeks glowed faintly under the fairly lit space.

"My friends and I were racing down the path. And Anika lost control of her bike and it collided with mine and we both fell off our bikes."

"You should have been more careful, Mridula." My tone had so much worry in it that it surprised her as well.

"It was a painful experience but we were laughing throughout the ride to the hospital."

"Are you mocking your own pain?" I asked with a scolding voice.

"Uhh...you are no fun talking with. Good night!" She slipped back inside and by the time I walked in she was already asleep with her army of pillows surrounding her.

~~~~~~

Mridula's POV

I can't believe today is my reception party. Everything seems so rushed!

Because it is rushed, Mridula!

The news of my wedding with Uday was announced from Dhanraj Uncle'a office a few days ago. And since then, I have smiled for so many cameras that my jaws hurt.

I am used to all of this but not for something I know is fake. And all of this is a sham.

Sham of a relationship

Sham of a marriage

Sham of a husband.

But a husband who has a keen eye. No one usually notices that scar but he did.

I looked around the dull gray interior of his room. After having a discussion with his father, Uday had decided to keep the party in Jaipur.

The guests were notified about the venue change and I hoped that most people would cancel but my luck is not that good.

One of the reporters had the cheek to ask me how it feels to be Mrs. Uday Shekhawat. And like a dumb person, I had to reply that it is a dream come true...

Yes, a dream indeed...A nightmare!

But no worries, after all of this, I will have plenty of time to get out of here.

I was seeing the word 'annulment' in front of my eyes when he walked in.

This man breaks every dream of mine!

"Some people are here to meet." He said as he held my hand and dragged me out.

I tried pulling my hand back but his grip was too strong to break free. We descended the steps and then entered a small meeting place of the mansion.

"Uday, I have to get ready for the godforsaken party. My social bank needs to be charged before that." I whined as he stopped in front of me and I couldn't see ahead because of his towering height blocking my line of vision. 

He stepped next to me and was still holding my hand when I was face-to face with Meera's smiling face.

"I had thought right about social events. They are very draining." She commented as she studied my face with soft expression.

I went in to hug her but couldn't reach far because someone was holding me back and that someone is now known to the world as my husband.

Meera gave me a teasing smile and I couldn't help the tint that graced my cheeks. She moved closer and gave me a quick hug and congratulated me all the while telling me that we'll talk about all of this later.

"But who brought you here?" I asked as I tried to free my hand from his as sneakingly as possible but that only resulted in him pulling me back to him. This man!

"I asked Raghav to bring both of your friends here." I looked up at him in slight appreciation as I took in the words. His way of replying was engulfing his arm around my waist a little tighter as he pulled me to himself. 

"Anika is here?" I glanced around the room but it was empty other than the three of us.

"She is out there somewhere clicking pictures and posting them." Meera said knowingly.

At the next moment, Anika's words reached us and forced us to look back. "This place is so pretty, Jiju..."

I wanted to laugh seeing the displeasure in his eyes but I controlled.

"There is a mural that'll go so well with one of my outfits..." Anika's eyes landed on the arm that was wrapped around me and she grinned even brightly, making me lower the hand that I had kept on his hard chest to steady myself. 

"I'll let you three to talk." Uday said as he pulled back his arm. I was missing the warmth the very next second. What is wrong with me...I think the air conditioning is on low.

I glanced at him and he nodded while taking a step back.

"Thank you for inviting me, Mr. Shekhawat." Meera said with a formal tone and then I remembered that they only know each other professionally.

"Now, he is married to our best friend, you can call her Jiju!" Anika's words brought a big smile on my face and I looked up at his direction. He was staring at me with fierce attention.

"But he is my boss's boss now..." I heard Meera say.

Uday seemed to snap out of whatever world he had gone to and then looked at my friends once before walking out.

"What are you wearing for the party tonight?" Anika asked as I turned my focus back on them.

I didn't even decide on my own outfit. Mom had questioned me about the same but I somehow had avoided her by asking her about the guest list.

I told Uday to get someone to pick out an outfit for me because I didn't want him to think that I was invested or interested in whatever is happening in my life.

I wouldn't mind wearing a gloomy color at my own reception party because I needed to put a point across to Uday Shekhawat.

"Why don't you see it yourself, it's in my room." I told her that as I don't even know what the outfit looks like myself. 

"Then let's go and start getting you ready for the party!" Anika said excitedly.

~~~~~~

As I stepped out of the closet wearing that outfit, I heard Anika gasp in exaggeration.

"I think that your husband will have a hard time keeping his hands to himself."

Even I looked down at the dark rose pink lehenga that I had donned. I was surprised by the color choice considering I had to wear an off white lehenga for the wedding. And I had thought that the case would be similar this time round.

I am also awed by the silver mirror work detail on this. It just adds to its beauty. The person who selected this deserves a raise for sure and I made a mental note to tell that to Uday.

"We just need to do your hair and makeup and then you are ready to go." Anika said as she led us to the dressing table.

I looked at the time with dread. I wanted to skip this event altogether.

I told them that I can do all of that myself and that they also had to get ready but they refused to listen.

My phone pinged and I picked it up to find a message from Uday.

The guests will be arriving soon. I hope that you have started to get ready, Mridula

"Is it a message from Uday? Gosh, that man seems to be smitten by you." She commented as she worked her way with the straightener. We thought of keeping my hair straight for this event.

"Don't forget to send him a heart emoji by the end of your reply!" Meera added while looking for the right lipstick shade for me.

I glared at her once and then went on to send a reply. If I ever add a heart to my message to him, what would he reply?

I brushed that thought away.

I have.

A normal reply.

I let my friends help me with my makeup and hair.

After some time, the makeup and hair was finally done. I think I look presentable to meet relatives and friends of the Shekhawats.

A knock interrupted my thinking and soon Shanta Masi walked in with her infectious smile.

I hugged her tightly as I had missed saying bye to her the last time because of Uday's stubborn behavior.

I quickly introduced her to Anika and Meera.

I then noticed a small square box in her hands.

"This is a gift..." Shanta Masi placed the box in my hand. I opened the box in a hurry due to my eagerness.

"...from your mother-in-law." I stared at her and then back at the jewelry piece in that box. There were two diamond silver bangles in rounds of flower arrangements.

"She had selected this specifically for Uday's future wife. And she would have been happy to see you wear this."

I know the reality of my relationship with her son but I could not get myself to disrespect her or her feelings.

I thanked Shanta Masi and slipped the bangles on each of my wrists. Maybe these bangles were meant to complete my look.

My eyes moved to the entrance of the room and I saw him standing there with an all-black outfit. The three piece suit that he was wearing was all black with even his dress shoe being a shiny black one.

Anika excused all three of them and soon the room cleared out, leaving me standing inside the room and him staring at me from just outside the room. 

I cleared my throat to make him look away. I didn't want him to stare at me with such intensity. 

He stepped in and stopped short a few inches away.

"So, do I look good enough to act like your perfect wife?" I taunted him.

He seemed to let those words slide while his eyes studied me.

"There are a lot of things that seem to be missing."

The taunting smile disappeared and I walked back to the dressing table to do a double check. The hair, makeup and outfit all of it was on point.

Then the thought crossed my mind. Why will I care how I look to him...I think I look pretty and that's all that matters!

I spun around and before I could stop myself, I collided with his chest. I glanced up at him in frustration.

I stepped back an inch and saw a vermillion box in his open palm.

He didn't give me enough time to react as he took a pinch of it and filled the parting of my hair.

"Now, you look like my wife!"

It is a good thing that the nuptial chain went missing, otherwise he would have made me wear that as well.

He held my hand and pulled us out of the room to where the party was being held.

~~~~~~

We stopped in front of a huge double door.

"Don't leave my side!" Uday warned as the doors opened. And just to make his point, he looped my arm around his and I had to enter the party arm in arm with him.

For the next one hour, we were swamped with having to converse with every guest present.  My relatives, his relatives, politicians, and party members.

I tried to memorize all of their names but with time, it got really exhausting. I looked up at him to find him calmly talking to everyone who came by to congratulate us.

He introduced all of the party members like they were his family. But most of them feared to talk more than needed. And I think I know who they actually fear.

One of his friends came by to congratulate us and after talking to him for some time, I finally got the opportunity to slip away from beside him.

I did a triumphant dance in my head as I walked to my sister. She looked a little lost and I noticed that Digvijay wasn't around her or in this party at all.

"You are glowing." Leela gushed as she engulfed me in a bear hug.

I hummed as she pulled back. "Digvijay isn't here?"

She gave out a frustrated sigh. "He said he will be here."

"Do you want me to kick his butt for being late...I can do that,"

"I am your elder sister." I said in all seriousness. Leela rolled her eyes and then scoffed. 

"First, do something about your husband's gaze that never seems to look away from you." She said jokingly and it was my time to huff in annoyance.

A guest called out for her and she excused herself. I turned to look back and caught his gaze. He looked slightly enraged and distanced myself more from him as I approached my friends. He can sulk in a corner for all I care.

"Why don't you have an engagement ring on your finger?" That was the first question that Anika asked. She handed me a mocktail that I gladly accepted.

I didn't have time to talk to them until now. And that means I had a few questions to answer for them.

So, they are asking everything they want to, now. 

"The design was dull and I didn't like it." I replied as I commented on a ring that I had never seen before. And never wish to see.

"When did you know he was the one?" Meera's question turned out to be more deadly than I had thought.

"The more I spent time with him, the more I realized that there are so many good qualities of him that he keeps hidden under his guarded behavior. There were a lot of moments that led to this." I said all of this because I think he was a good son to his mother and that is a quality that I can appreciate in him.

"Who proposed?" I took a huge gulp of my drink. I had to tell the same story to them. There shouldn't be any discrepancies with te story we tell everyone.

"Him." I answered back quickly.

"It's still a little hard to believe." Meera said with slight disbelief.

"First you were fighting with him and now you are in love...Does that really happen?" Both of my friends exchanged looks before looking back at me. They were still suspicious.

Before I could say something in my defense, Anika's phone rang and she walked away from us. Meera was still waiting for an answer but luckily my mom came by with a relative to meet.

I deliberately kept talking to the guest just to dodge that question.

You never fall in love with a person whom you hate...Right?

~~~~~~

Finally, this fake celebration was about to end.

Our eyes met once again and this time, I kept them trained on him as he made his way towards me.

"Guests are leaving and they want to meet their hostess before going." I nodded as we had to meet each and every guest again.

The political workers were the only people I enjoyed talking to again. Some of them even asked me to accompany Dhanraj Uncle in party meetings to understand their political party better. Afterall, they considered me a part of this family now!

"This is for leaving my side when I had specially told you not to." He whispered those words in my ear. I narrowed my eyes in confusion.

And before I could ask him, I felt his one arm behind my knees and the other on my back and he lifted me in bridal style.

I looked over his shoulder and was glad that only our parents, my friends and Shanta Masi and her family were left.

They all looked surprised first and then smiled happily for us.

Dhanraj Uncle shook his head and looked away at his son's antics. Even Papa had a smile on his face.  

God, I will die of embarrassment with this man!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

626K 22.6K 37
โ™ก SARANSH & JANVI โ™ก | ษชษดแด…ษชแด€ษด แด€ส€ส€แด€ษดษขแด‡แด… แดแด€ส€ส€ษชแด€ษขแด‡ สŸแดแด แด‡ sแด›แดส€ส | ~โ~ #1 in Intimate #1 in desiromance #2 in...
126K 3.9K 47
A princess but abandoned by her own family. A would be wife but abandoned by her own would be husband. A sister but doubt and hated by her own real...
3M 185K 61
โ€ขCompleted|NOT EDITEDโ€ข # ๐Ÿ ๐›๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐‘๐š๐ฃ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐’๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ Trigger Warnings: Mention of physical abuse, Murder, trauma, Rape, suicide, and mental...
388K 18.5K 55
๐–๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ก๐š๐ฉ๐ฉ๐ž๐ง ๐ฐ๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž ๐ญ๐จ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ก๐š๐ฏ๐ž ๐Ÿ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ง ๐ข๐ง ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž ๐ฐ๐ข...