𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄, reign

By nicbelles

❝ Oh, to be alone with you. ❞ In which Elspeth Liens ... More

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐏𝐇.
𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐏𝐇𝐈𝐂 𝐆𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐘.
𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄.
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄.
⁰¹, WELCOME TO FRENCH COURT
⁰², THE GRIM'S HUNTER
⁰³, IN A ROOM AWAY FROM THE WORLD
⁰⁴, THE HOUSE OF MEDICI
⁰⁵, BETWEEN TWO BROTHERS
⁰⁶, BEYOND THE BLOOD WOOD
⁰⁷, LOVE AND A HARD PLACE
⁰⁸, AN ADVENTURE AFTER SICKNESS
⁰⁹, A MICHAELMAS PROPOSAL
¹⁰, HADES AND PERSEPHONE
¹¹, FRENCH FRIENDSHIPS
¹², A CLOSE FRIENDSHIP
¹³, MEANING OF THE STAG
¹⁴, INTO THE WOODS
¹⁵, THE CASTLE'S BEEN SEIZED
¹⁶, BACK TO SCOTLAND
¹⁷, SWINGING SWORDS
¹⁸, THE FUTURE KING OF FRANCE
¹⁹, WHAT IT TAKES TO HUNT
²⁰, FALLING INTO FAITH
²¹, THE QUEENS FAVORITE
²², RESPECT AND POWER
²³, A TRIP TO PARIS
²⁴, TO TRULY LIVE
²⁵, TO STEAL IT BACK
²⁶, THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE
²⁷, THE PLAN TO RETURN
²⁸, WE LEAVE TONIGHT
²⁹, FOR OUR LIVES
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐎.
³⁰, A HUNTER'S WIFE
³¹, HIDDEN IN THE CASTLE
³², GUARDED
³³, VERY DIFFERENT MEN
³⁴, WEDDING NIGHT
³⁵, A NEW PLACE AT COURT
³⁶, TOGETHER AGAIN
³⁷, A BLESSING
³⁸, THE FIRST DANCE
³⁹, HOPELESS
⁴⁰, THE LOYAL ADVISOR
⁴¹, OFF TO CONQUER
⁴², THE GREAT HUGO LAURENT
⁴³, TWO QUEENS
⁴⁴, THE EYES OF A MAD KING
⁴⁵, A CLEARING IN THE WOODS
⁴⁶, THE LIGHT OF THE SUN
⁴⁷, LOST
⁴⁸, A NAVAL SPECTACLE
⁴⁹, LONG LIVE THE KING
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄.
⁵⁰, INEVITABLE
⁵¹, NEWS FROM SCOTLAND
⁵², THE MONSTER OF FRANCE
⁵³, FRIENDS AND FOES
⁵⁴, MY FRIENDS AND I
⁵⁵, THE DUKE OF BOURBON
⁵⁶, LOVE YOU SO
⁵⁷, MINT, LAVENDER, HEMLOCK
⁵⁸, A RELIGIOUS SPECTACLE
⁵⁹, FRIENDS
⁶⁰, FIRST PRIORITY
⁶¹, CHANGE THE LAWS
⁶³, ELSPETH'S EASEL
⁶⁴, UNDER THE APPLE TREE
⁶⁵, HALF OF ME
⁶⁶, THE TRUTH COMES OUT
⁶⁷, HUSBAND, FATHER, SON, AND BROTHER
⁶⁸, INSIDE THE HOME
⁶⁹, IN A CARRIAGE
⁷⁰, OUR OWN FOREVER
⁷¹, A PLOT OF LAND
⁷², WHO SHOULD CHOOSE
⁷³, IN THE NIGHT

⁶², THE LIENS ESTATE

509 50 10
By nicbelles

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter sixty-two; The Liens Estate
" The Monster of France is to marry my sister and I'm expected not to-- "

DEMETRE COULD NOT help but remember his own home as they arrived at the Liens Estate.

The ride through the Duchy had been beautiful. And the home of the Duke and Duchess was remarkable.

The carriage entered a circular road that led right to the front of the grand main house. It was a towering building, made entirely of stone, save from the large front doors, a dark wood detailed with gold metal.

Windows flocked the walls, each one framed by intricately crafted shutters and housing a flower box.

The house was on the crest of a hill, so there was a grand set of stone stairs leading to the front door, either side of it lined with blooming wildflowers.

Demetre could see their land expanded behind them; stables, a guardhouse, a garden, an orchard. It looked endless.

And when he turned to Elspeth she looked petrified.

"Petal?"

Elspeth Liens was lost in her own thoughts. Her own memories in that house.

Elspeth wondered if the windows still let in as much light. She wondered if her mother still opened them every afternoon, or if this had only been done because Elspeth always complained about being forced to stay inside for lessons. She wondered if it would smell like something sweet baking (it always had, Elspeth had never grown out of her sweet tooth), or if any of the furniture would have been moved.

She wondered what Hans's quarters looked like. If his study had been touched. She wondered if her paint was still in it.

Elspeth wondered if it would feel emptier. Without four children running around. It was too large a house for two people.

"Petal?"

She snapped her head up, only to meet Demetre's worried expression.

"Sorry," She said weakly, "I-- I was just thinking. . . it doesn't matter. Let's not keep anyone waiting."

Demetre frowned, but departed from the carriage and extended a hand to help her down.

Elspeth accepted it, sucking in a deep breath as the warm Scottish weather hit her fully.

"Lady Elspeth!"

The woman grinned as a familiar handmaid, Josie Wilkins, rushed from the home.

"Josie," Elspeth greeted, quickly pulling the woman into a hug, "Oh, how have you been? I've missed you!"

"It's been entirely too quiet around the estate without you," Josie laughed, "I've not had to clean mud off the floors in a year, and there's no one left to chase back into their lessons."

Demetre tried to stifle a laugh, but he could tell Elspeth had heard when the tips of her ears turned red.

"And you've brought a suitor home," Josie gushed, squeezing Elspeth tightly, "My goodness, we never thought we would see the day!"

Things were different on the Liens Estate. This much Demetre could understand. Staff spoke freely, but perhaps this was because they'd been employed as long as Elspeth had been alive.

After all, Demetre could tell why Elspeth had warned him.

He had only ever known the independent Elspeth Liens in France. The woman who knew when manners were mandatory, and when she could throw them out of a window. A noblewoman who stole the hearts of nearly every person she met, even Catherine De Medici. A woman who was smart, and strong, and artistic, and kind.

But here, Elspeth Liens was the darling. The youngest child, the only daughter, and clearly the most rambunctious. Here, Elspeth Liens was still a child.

Demetre knew it would be interesting.

"Come, your brothers are waiting," Josie said, ushering Elspeth forward, "Your parents are wrapped in a meeting, but will be down before dinner--"

"Brothers?"

Josie faltered, looking at Elspeth as she'd halted in her tracks.

"Yes, dear," Josie said, "Douglas and Fraser are inside."

"Fraser is here?"

"Arrived hours before Douglas."

Elspeth chewed on her bottom lip, tossing a worried glance over her shoulder at Demetre who was waving off one of the footmen, grabbing their luggage himself.

"Then we won't make them wait any longer," Elspeth said with a weak smile.

"France has tamed you more than I expected," Josie laughed, guiding Elspeth along again.

The girl let out a shaky laugh, her nerves swelling as they approached the estate.

Josie didn't know the beginning of what France had done.

She followed Josie up those front steps and held her breath as the woman reached for the handle.

Before she could get lost in that thought, the doors opened and two familiar men turned from conversation in the middle of the sitting room.

It was the same. It brought her some comfort. That her mother had not moved those velveteen couches and still clung to the ornate rug Elspeth had stained with mud years ago. The windows stretching almost floor to ceiling were open, the breeze pulling on silky curtains.

And the portrait of their entire family still hung proudly on the farthest wall.

"Ellie! So glad you could finally join us."

Douglas scooped her into a hug before she could see Fraser's expression properly.

"Put me down," Elspeth said, swatting Douglas.

"No way to treat your brother," Douglas grinned toothily as he set her down, "Or act in front of your suitor."

Elspeth glanced back as the door shut. Demetre seemed relaxed, considering he was in an unfamiliar house in an unfamiliar country. He was finally letting the staff take over to carry their luggage inside, shedding his heavy cloak to reveal the crisp dark attire he'd chosen.

"Though I suppose any suitor of yours knows your wild ways," Douglas said, pulling Elspeth's attention back to him, "Especially one that is to meet Mother and Father."

"Shut it," Elspeth threatened, pulling away and rolling her shoulders back, "Douglas, this is Lord Demetre Langlois. Demetre, this is Douglas."

Demetre took a step forward, resting a hand on the small of Elspeth's back and reaching the other one out to shake Douglas's hand.

"It's nice to finally put a face to the name. Elspeth speaks very highly of you."

Douglas raised a brow.

"You know we never did get to have that conversation," Douglas pointed, ignoring Demetre's outstretched hand, "Lord McKenzie saved you from it, may he rest in peace."

Elspeth's expression melted into a harsh glare.

"The Monster of France is to marry my sister and I'm expected not to--"

"I already told you the stories are not true, can you not trust my word--?!"

"Enough bickering. We have a guest. The two of you act as though you weren't given proper lessons on how to behave."

Elspeth clamped her lips shut at his voice cutting through her and Douglas's bickering.

Fraser Liens was the tallest of all the siblings. One could have easily mistaken him for the oldest of them all, with his stature and his decorum. His serious tone, even gaze, and strict adherence to rules.

Perhaps it was from his knighthood training.

Or perhaps all the responsibility and manners were used in the creations of Hans and Fraser so none was left for Douglas or Elspeth.

"It is not your choice to give anyone a blessing to marry Elspeth," Fraser said evenly, his hands linked behind his back, "It is in Father's hands. Regardless of any. . . conditions surrounding a suitor."

"We were always meant to have a say," Douglas argued, his tone growing less playful as he turned his attention to Fraser, "It was Hans who would speak for the three of us. Hans and Father were to approve a suitor. And he wouldn't have let her marry a monster."

Silence engulfed the home. Even the staff seemed to freeze. The only sounds heard were the ancient clock in the living room and the faint voices of a meeting in a chamber far away from the one they were in.

"Hans would have let me make my own choice. As will Father. Hans disregarded any rumors to do with Demetre the moment I told him Demetre had looked after me in France. Long before a courtship was formed. Hans cared enough to think about how I was feeling. Do not for a moment pretend as though you know how Hans would have acted with me. I am the only one who knows that."

"Elspeth, Douglas only meant--"

"And you," Elspeth argued, "You disappear into the countryside with a girl we never even met, decline the title of Duke, and suddenly you want to act like the eldest brother?"

"I am the eldest brother."

"No. Hans is. Nothing will change that."

"Ellie, just take a second, Fraser isn't--"

"Where is Blair?"

The brothers faltered, glancing at one another hesitantly.

"Well, you two will be dealing with a scolding from Mother later, so I won't waste any more energy on it," Elspeth said, rolling back her shoulders, "I will go pay her and Nessa a visit since the two of you have been too busy plotting about my courtship to see our sister-in-law and niece."

Elspeth turned back to Demetre, who was leaning casually against the wall beside the front door, arms folded casually over his broad chest. He stood as if nothing her brothers said penetrated the armor he had built around himself. As if he cared very little for their opinions.

He looked at her like she was the only thing he saw in the entire room.

"Blair will be far more welcoming to us," She said, approaching Demetre, "She and Hans were married when I was only eleven years of age. She is like my own sister."

"After you."

Elspeth breathed out all of her anger as she took Demetre's arm. Her mother would deal with Douglas and Fraser, and she was sure they would bicker until then.

But for now, she wanted to see Blair. She wanted to be with Demetre. . . She wanted someone with Hans's heart to see who Demetre truly was.

So off they went.

( AUTHOR'S NOTE. )
Tensions running high between
the Liens siblings and Demetre
just straight CHILLING

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.7K 437 18
Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, was destined for the crown prince of France. They grew up apart for Mary's safety, but what happens when they are reunit...
365K 6.5K 42
SOCIAL MEDIA: INSTAGRAM + S.S @sebastianstan- isn't @lydiajenkins adorable??? @lydiajenkins- seb, I swear.... @sebastianstan- why am I not in this p...
2.1K 219 39
i am that broken lonely girl, who had enough with her life because of a day, but there he is changing me completely. (COMPLETED) ALL RIGHTS RESEVED.
12.1K 61 50
Some time you never know what I friendship will lead to but for us we were pleasantly surprised. Social media (mostly)