Servant of the Serpent

By RowanLaneStories

When Eben decides to rob the isolated town nestled deep in the woods, he could never have predicted that he w... More

BOOK ONE - Servant of the Serpent
Author's note
Foreword
Snakes for Friends
Coiled Up in a Dark Place
Into the Snake's Den
Snake Charmer
Yellow Bellied
Stitched Scales
Serpent's Tongue
The Statue of Helia
Cold Scales
Forbidden Fruit
Snake in the Grass
Vipers that Cannot be Charmed
Once Bitten
Brumation
Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Venomous Words
Winter's Eve
Celebrating Death
Melting Frost
Warmed Stone
Ecdysis
Ouroboros
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
BOOK TWO - Family of Monsters
Foreword
Flights of Fancy
Blue Sky Thinking
Nesting
Birds of Prey
Early Bird
Downy Feathers
Birdsong
Water Off a Duck's Back
Two Turtle Doves
Molting
Merry as a Lark
Chickadee's Song
First Flights
Mourning Dove
Bird Flu
Walking on Eggshells
One Winged Dove
Flew Too Close to the Sun
Feather Plucking
Flight Risk
Flew the Coop

Flying South

32 3 0
By RowanLaneStories

In only one year, Adder hasn't changed much.Just last week was his birthday, and though he feels the passage of time, neither his face nor his body is really showing it yet. Despite this, in just one year, he feels as if everything has drastically evolved since the arrival of Merlyn.

Contrasting to the easy, slow days that followed shortly after Sheppard's death, Adder is now often anxious and worried, usually about Merlyn. He ponders daily if he had made the right choice bringing her into the world, and if he was making the right choices for her future.

It seems that Adder isn't the only one who is affected, either. Eben has changed too. He seems more on edge lately, more apprehensive. Some days, Adder misses the carefree man who loved to risk it all. He misses the lazy mornings filled with just the two of them, the afternoons spent celebrating with drinks, and the quiet nights with no squabbling. Despite the added stress, however, it seems as if every other joy in Adder's life has been enhanced tenfold. Every little thing Merlyn does makes him happy. Every milestone she hits, no matter how small, makes his heart swell with pride. When he glances at Eben during these moments, it's clear he feels the same. They've spent the summer together as a little family of three, growing their bonds closer with each passing day.

For that reason, Adder is not enthused about their mission today, no matter how nice the break from parenting will be.

"Thank you for doing this," he says.

Helia is in the kitchen. She's tending to Merlyn, who's currently playing with a mushy bowl of oats. "of course. Do you have everything you need?"

"Just about. Do you—"

"Aaaaaaerrr!" Merlyn squeals.

Adder's can't help but smile at Merlyn's childish attempt to say his name. He slithers over to where she sits at the table. "Yes, chickadee?"

"Nnn."

"Are you having fun with your breakfast? You're making a mess! Let me clean you up..."

"Adder, I can handle it," says Helia.

"No, I can do it. Don't wiggle, Merlyn—"

"Adder, you need to go now. You've been stalling all morning."

Adder freezes. "No I haven't, I just...she's never been left alone before."

"She won't be alone. You know I'll take care of her."

"But we don't have to go now. Maybe we should wait longer, when she's a little older and won't miss us as much..."

"Adder. Harpies roost here in spring, summer, and early fall. You need to take every opportunity you can to find her flock, before it's too late. We've already lost most of this summer."

"I know! I know that—I know you want to be rid of her."

"Adder, you're misunderstanding."

"I understand quite well. "

"That's not what I said."

"You didn't need to. I have been trying, mother. I would have gone sooner if Daisy had found hide or hair of this flock earlier. It's not my fault she didn't find anything until now."

"I wasn't blaming you. Just—go. Now, while you have daylight left."

Adder scowls. He takes one last look at Merlyn.

"Be good, little bird."

He leaves before he can change his mind. He finds Eben outside, stroking Fairy's mane. She's hooked up to large ornate caravan. The outside is red, with green serpents and yellow flowers delicately painted onto the curved walls. Adder admires the craftsmanship, but isn't looking forward to the confined space inside. His long coils will be squished like sausages, no doubt.

"You took awhile." Eben comments.

"I was helping with Merlyn."

"Right. Helping."

"Silence. Let's go."

"Okay, grumpy scales."

Eben climbs aboard Fairy, waiting for Adder to climb inside the caravan before starting down the road. Adder's stomach lurches as they begin to move, their humble abode quickly swallowed by the forest as they get further and further away. Adder tries not to dwell on the irrational feeling that he's abandoning his heart as they do.

The caravan sways gently as it bumbles down the road. The repetitive sound of wheels on stone should be calming, but Adder feels himself growing more and more anxious as they get deeper into the forest. Attempting to ward off negative thoughts, he curls into a snug corner, and closes his eyes. The world narrows down into that small dark space, the only thing keeping him anchored, the sound of Eben's humming.

However, as they traverse the road, Adder inevitably awakens again.

He leans out the front window of the caravan. He watches Eben from behind, studying the way his body sways with the motion of being atop his steed. In the dark night, only lit by the moon, Adder can't  help feel his heart flutter.

"I feel your eyes on me. Got something to declare?" Says Eben.

"You look beautiful."

Eben grins, looking back at Adder. "Aren't you being romantic. Are you sure it's not just the dark tricking your eyes? I've been riding for nearly eight hours."

"I slept that long?"

"I might've put a little spell on you. Just something to help you calm as you slept. Didn't intend to knock you off your scales, though, I'm sorry."

Adder stretches, now recognizing the tingly-soft warmth of magic running through his frame. "Thank you, Eben. I guess you noticed I've been on edge lately."

"Yes. Adder, everything is going to be okay."

"I know, but I can't help but worry."

Eben is quiet for a moment, choosing his words carefully. "You know, sometimes I feel more frightened living like this than I ever did as a bandit."

"You do?"

"In those days, I'd say a prayer to the Great Deceiver every night, asking him to help me trick the world. Make them all think I reveled in the sex, the violence, and the gold. But in the light of the day, I'd be waiting for the blade that was just a little too fast for me to dodge. Waiting to be reunited with my father, I guess."

There's a pregnant pause as Adder absorbs the words. His eyes shift to Fairy's hooves, watching the repetitive motion of her gait. "You don't feel like that any more?"

"No. You've brought so much uncertainty to my life. I don't think I could ever go back to the monotony of waiting for death."

Adder laughs out loud. "So this is all just a thrill for you? Something to get your heart racing?"

"Not quite. It's an adventure. All adventures have stakes."

"Of course. I'm glad to be on it with you."

"Thank you, Adder. I'm honored."

They continue on like that for a while before finally, Eben decides to stop somewhere to set up camp. Luckily, they find a cozy little outcropping on the side of the road. Eben rolls out a bed roll under a large oak tree, laying back and staring at the stars. Adder leaves the cramped caravan, joining him at the spot.

"This brings back memories," Eben sighs, "been awhile since i've been on the road. I'm losing my touch though, my back is aching from riding all day."

"How long do you think until we get to the spot Fern and Daisy are at?"

"Not long. Tomorrow morning, surely."

Adder nods. He scoots closer, coils wrapping protectively around the two of them. He looks up at  the stars. The glimmer brightly in between the gaps of the canopy. He hugs Eben closer, bringing his head to rest on Adder's pec.

"I'm glad you're here with me, Eben."

Eben is quiet. In the dark, Adder senses a rapid heartbeat and a tinge of fear that scents the air. Eben is scared—but of what?

"Eben?"

"Did I tell you that Fern and Daisy are engaged?"

"Really? You didn't!"

"Last week, when I ran into Fern at the market, she told me."

"This is so exciting!"

"Their marriage is at the end of fall. Apparently werewolves mark their mates somehow so there's also going to be a bonding ceremony..."

"I don't suppose it will be held in town, will it?"

"Yes, it will."

Adder sighs. Of course, they'd celebrate in town. Why wouldn't they? Why would they celebrate where Adder would feel welcome. It's not his wedding.

"We'll have to find appropriate wedding gifts for them both. Oh, I bet they'll look beautiful in their gowns..."

"Adder—you know—we could. We could do it too..."

"You want a gown?"

Eben laughs, his heart speeding up. "No, Adder. I mean to say—I want to spend my life with you. I want to be with you forever. So we—we could also get married. If you wanted to."

Adder freezes, face going hot. "You want to marry me?"

Instantly, Adder is picturing their wedding ceremony. He sees their friends and family gathered around them, celebrating their love, watching Adder and Eben solidify their bonds eternally in the eyes of giakora.

"You really want to marry me?" Adder asks again, voice weepy.

"Oh Gods, don't cry."

Eben yelps as Adder pounces on him, trapping him in a constricting embrace. "You just asked me to marry you, am I not allowed to cry?!"

"You still have to say yes or no!" Eben laughs.

"Yes, yes of course, Eben."

Adder presses their mouths together in a passionate kiss. Eben giggles through it, slinging his arms around Adder's neck. When they finally break apart, Eben is grinning salaciously. His tattoo is glowing a warm golden color.

"Should we practice for our honeymoon?"

"Really? Out here?"

"It's not like anyone is here to see it. Unless you count the chipmunks and jackalopes."

"What do you want to do?"

Eben smirks. "Lay back. I want to try a new spell."

Adder lays back obediently. Eben immediately straddles him, looking down with glowing eyes. There's a sharp intake of breath from Adder as a hand caresses his chest softly. Down Eben's arm the shimmering image of the serpent goes, down until it finally meets Adder's pale skin. Immediately, he feels a pleasant burn of magic tingling in his skin and warming his cheeks.

"How's that feel?"

"It's warm..."

"That's not all."

Eben sits up, raking his hand down his own chest. Adder gasps as he feels a ghostly sensation across his own body.

"I feel it!"

Adder lays back obediently. Eben immediately straddles him, looking down with glowing eyes. There's a sharp intake of breath from Adder as a hand caresses his chest softly. Down Eben's arm the shimmering image of the serpent goes, down until it finally meets Adder's pale skin. Immediately, he feels a pleasant burn of magic tingling in his skin and warming his cheeks.

"How's that feel?"

"It's warm..."

"That's not all."

Eben sits up, raking his hand down his own chest. Adder gasps as he feels a ghostly sensation across his own body.

"I feel it!"

"Good."

Eben unbuttons his cloak, letting it fall to the ground. He pulls from the bottom of his tunic, pulling it over his head. Adder shivers as the sensation of night air kissing his skin overwhelms his mind.

"What should I do, Adder? Tell me what you wanna feel."

"Touch yourself, please."

Eben does as instructed, hands running over freckled skin. Adder hand help but stare as he feels everything. He wriggles, confused at the sensation of hands palming at his non-existent thighs.

"It's been awhile, hasn't it?" Eben purrs.

"It has—ah, Eben."

Eben is touching himself through his pants now. Adder squeezes his eyes shut. He feels his body thrumming with energy, begging him to respond to his mate and the ghostly sensations drifting across his skin.

Suddenly, Adder is being kissed. He gasps as a feedback loop is formed. He can feel his own forked tongue, his own scales as Eben ruts against him.

When Eben pulls away, Adder is a puddle. He trembles at the intensity of the sensation. He's overwhelmed yet not nearly satisfied. He needs more.

Luckily, it seems like Eben has more planned. Adder gasps as thin fingers trace the slit at Adder's hips. One dips in, gently swirling. Adder trembles as the head of his sheathed cock is played with.

"Should I fuck you, Adder? Do you want to feel how good it is for me when I'm inside you?"

"Yes."

Adder gives a breathy moan as Eben complies. He shivers as he feels it, feels the sensation of his erection pressing into something soft, warm, and wet.

"Eben..."

"Ah—Adder. Fuck. You didn't tell me how good this is..."

"What do you mean? I've always praised your abilities."

Adder gasps as Eben gives a sharp thrust, filling Adder completely.

"Eben!"

"You didn't tell me how big I feel inside you, though."

"I didn't want to inflate your ego more than it already is."

Eben snickers, lowering his mouth to Adder's neck. Adder shivers as it's peppered with soft kisses. It makes him twitch inside, and he can't help but gasp at the feedback loop of feeling the squeeze from Eben's end.

"Are you just realizing how transparent you are? You do that anytime I do anything."

"No I don't..."

Eben sits up, hips still slowly rutting into Adder. He laces their fingers together, smaller hands dwarfing clawed ones, yet still holding so much power. Adder groans as he feels another tight squeeze, his mind filled with nothing but the wet warmth.

"See? And it's even worse if I keep talking. You love my voice, don't you?."

Adder is incoherent at this point, his mind fuzzy from the feeling of fucking and being fucked rolled into one.

"You're making such a funny face right now," Eben cackles.

Tired of being teased, Adder growls bestially. He loves that Eben isn't afraid, but right now all of Adder's instincts are telling him to put his lover in his place, to show him that he's taunting a real monster.

Without warning, Adder rips his hands out of Eben's hold. Eben's face only has a moment to look shocked before strong, muscled coils rapidly wrap around him and push him to the ground. He cries out as Adder lines up their hips and pushes Eben's erection back in.

"Ah!" Eben cries.

Adder growls again, this time directly into a pointed ear. He flicks his tongue, feeling the rush of endorphins as Eben's weak spot is targeted.

"Adder!"

"I think you forget how obvious you are, how you've always been, to me."

His claws sink into the ground as he ruts his hips roughly against his captive. He snarls with each thrust, enjoying the flushed look of bewilderment each time the movement jostles Eben.

"My senses are twice as sensitive as yours. I can hear your heartbeat in the earth when you look at me. It speeds up, like a little rabbit in the wood," says Adder.

Eben jolts as Adder licks up the side of his neck. Adder groans at the zing of pleasure it sends down his own spine.

"Even that first day you saw me, even if your fear, you wanted me. I could smell it on you. You knew you were meant to be mine."

Adder gasps as suddenly, he feels the oncoming rush of an orgasm that isn't his own. Eben cries out, whipping his head around as his cock twitches. Warmth floods Adder as he follows shortly after, his own pleasure crashing down on him suddenly.

For the next few moments they both just pant on the forest floor. Adder nuzzles into Eben's neck, face aflame.

"Oh Gods, I got a little worked up there."

Eben laughs. "I love when you get worked up. I should torment you more often."

"Ugh. You menace."

"Fiance, you mean."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 73.2K 59
• BOOK #1 OF THE PRINCELY SERIES • Alabaster has been called many things in his life. Good things, bad things, mediocre things. And at this point in...
13.1K 944 66
Sure, Cole dreamed of a knight in shining armor showing up to make it all go away, but that was how he ended up in this situation - dancing and turni...
323K 12.6K 25
*Book One of the Amor Fati Series* Prince Calanthe Ámarent, once the child of a beloved queen regnant and now a disgraced prince, goes on a journey...
72.1K 4.3K 108
"Whatever else happened to him, Chris knew three things would never change: (1) The only d*ck he would ever touch was his own. (2) The only man he lo...