Stained Recovery

By BaggedAndDropped

Cleo's life turned 360 when she received the god-awful message announcing her ex-fiance's wedding. Looking f... More

The meet-cute || Chapter 1
Don't even think about it || Chapter 2
Thank fuck for that || Chapter 3
We're Just Friends || Chapter 4
Fake it till you make it || Chapter 5
Us || Chapter 6
Hungover Ponytail || Chapter 7
Closure || Chapter 8
A Friend || Chapter 9
Excuse Me, I love you || Chapter 10
She's my Thank U, Next || Chapter 11
Cuddle Monster || Chapter 12
Busted || Chapter 13
Royally Fucked || Chapter 14
Balls on fire || Chapter 15
My back was blown || Chapter 16
Mommy's girl || Chapter 17
Am I? || Chapter 18
Empase || Chapter 19
Impusle || Chapter 20
Vacation Part 1 || Chapter 21
Vacation Part 2 || Chapter 22
Cupboard under the Stairs || Chapter 23
Trouble in Paradise || Chapter 24
Confused || Chapter 25
Like a fifth grader || Chapter 26
Barefoot and... || Chapter 27
Compromise || Chapter 28
Capiche? || Chapter 29
Different Plans || Chapter 31
Friends? || Chapter 32
Fucking love || Chapter 33
A-Negative || Chapter 34
Austin's Family || Chapter 35
All in the past || Chapter 36
Breaking Boundaries || Chapter 37

Must be nice || Chapter 30

539 52 15
By BaggedAndDropped

There were times I wish I could strangle Dakota — and it was in moments like this.

"Can you stop fucking fidgeting, Coqui. You're going to be fine, no media out here I promise!" I told her before pressing on the break pedal as we reached my parents gates.

From here, I could see the line of cars waiting to be attended by the valet. Fuck — of course, what do I expect from my parents.

I guess old people knew how to throw a party.

"I don't like this, Cleo. I don't feel good about this tonight." She looked really nervous. Far from the confident woman I met before.

"Look, it's going to be okay. Besides, you're my guest and as far as my mother's concerned, you're my friend. Stay beside me, you'll be fine." I encouraged her to ease her worry.

She breathed in deeply before releasing loudly.

"Okay, fuck it. Whatever, let's go." She told herself and composed her facial expression.

Sometimes, I get scared how quick she changes her moods her expressions. I swear, this is the reason I won't date Hollywood actresses.

We head out of the car, to be welcomed by the attendant who got my key so he could park my Porche Carrera.

From the foyer, I could hear the soft melody of saxophone being played. Jesus — what the fuck was the ocassion?

"Dude, I knew you were loaded. But... this — is a bit much." She whispered beside me as she latched her arms on mine.

I rolled my eyes at Dakota. "Yeah, you think this is too much, you should see our home back in Manila. This place is only like a fourth of their property."

I knew how she loved looking into good houses for investment. She had been also looking to invest into some homes and refurbished condominiums that's why I gave her Daniel's number as well.

For the past year, she had been working with G Estates to look for the perfect projects they could turn upside down.

"You said you were selling your penthouse right?" She asked while she got a flute of champagne from the butler walking around.

I just nodded at her, my eyes scanning the place to find my parents. I still haven't seen them — I was actually expecting mom... or at least dad to wait for me by the door. Jeez..

"I wanna make an offer for it. Let me know as soon as you put it up for sale. I like the location and the interior of the place." Dakota said, all business like.

From an outsiders point of view, we were just like old friends, talking about business and investments — but in reality, I knew why she liked the place.

It was quiet, and no paparazzi could follow her there. It was one of the safest place in LA.

"Deal. But let me talk to my realtor first." She just chuckled at me, she knew I'd take her offer.

"Oh my god... C-Cleo?" I heard someone gasp behind me.

My head spun immediately, almost giving me a whiplash. My eyes widened instantly, as soon as I saw who hollered my name.

Fuck... it was Joan. Damn it — of course she would be invited. My mom and her were friends and they did business together.

"J-Joan. Hi... um, hello — I..." I stuttered.

See what I mean? I should've just stayed home. What was I thinking, attending a social gathering like this.

Imagine how I would talk to everyone related to her... if right now, it was just her mom, then I already stuttered like a blithering idiot.

Joan was a few feet away from me, she then initiated a hug which I just returned out of courtesy.

Doesn't she realize how awkward this is?

The last time we talked was when I was literally asking for her daughter's hand in marriage. I didn't hear from any of Ari's family every since we broke up.

My mom interrupted us by hugging me tightly when she got to my side.

"I missed you, my Clay! You should've told me that you're here already." She almost squealed but held it in.

As she pulled away from the hug, mom's eyes directed to Dakota. Both women were on a stare down — my mom's eyes roamed around Dakota's face, trying to recognize her.

I just kept quiet, observing them. Recognition flashed into her eyes.

"Oh, you're Cleo's friend! Welcome to our home!" My mom, ever the good host.

Dakota subtly glanced at me before smiling back to my mom and offering her hand.

"It's a pleasure Mrs. Phillips, I'm Dakota." The Hollywood in her showed instantly. She's on her full actress mode.

She knew my mom was totally faking it. I never really told her what happened between Ariana and I — so whenever she gets the chance, she would bring her up in a conversation.

Always trying to get us back together. I couldn't really tell her the real reason, because I don't want her to hate Ari. That would affect her friendship with Joan.

It was enough that I lost my friendship with Jasmine and Ariana... I don't want that for my mom.

Whenever I introduce a friend — like plain, platonic female friend, she'll eventually voice out her concern and tell me to be careful.

It was like she will never approve anyone else aside from Ari to be part of my life. Jesus.

Don't even get me started with my dad. He seemed like he had some advocacy on reminding me every time, that Ariana was the perfect match for me and it will be hard to top her.

Now you should understand my intent to avoid my parents and friends. I was trying to move on with my life... and they just kept on constantly reminding me.

"Dakota, this is Joan Grande — one of my oldest friends. Come on, you can join us at our table." I heard my mom say before ushering Dakota.

She looked back at me so I just nodded. A hand held my elbow to stop me from walking.

It was Joan. Oh god... here it comes.

"Cleo... it's been a few years... how are you, sweetheart? You're looking good. We missed you." Her soft voice plus her affectionate smile was playing with my emotions.

The way she looked at me was like she was looking at her long lost child. It was venerating and also, she looked like she was silently assessing my mood.

I sighed. "I'm fine, Joan. How are you, how's Nonna and Frankie?" I asked with a small smile.

I was just asking to be polite, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want to catch up and know how Nonna has been doing.

She was actually the first person I wanted to run to when Ari and I broke things off. I didn't of course... but well... she was my number 1 supporter at that time.

"Everyone's doing fine, sweetie. Frankie got married... and Mom... well, she's not getting any younger, but still crazy over her weekly bingo." She explained while chuckling.

I just nodded and smiled again. I didn't ask anything else... it feels like my chest would burst any moment if she started talking about... her.

"Ari's doing okay, if... if you wanna know. Not married... in case you're wondering... she's just... focused on her priorities right now." My mood instantly dropped.

She must've noticed my expression, and luckily — she stopped talking about Ariana.

"Joan... please, let's not go there. Let's not ruin the night with drama. I — I'm sorry." Suddenly, all of my energy was drained.

"Jasmine told me you kicked her out of your office... I have so many things to tell you, if only you can give me the time... you have to know." Her voice was now pleading, making my eyebrows furrow deeper.

I'm getting confused... what does she mean by this? Thinking back, Kuya Nathan also said that I need to know something.

I mentally cursed myself for being so prideful — should I open that damned envelop back in my place?

"Look... I'm sorry. I was just so angry and... I didn't know what to do. I know Jasmine's intention was genuine — hell, everybody was. But I'm not ready to hear whatever that is, Joan."

I kept my stoic expression on, making sure to not let anybody see that I was this affected — still.

"I understand, but we've got to talk. I have a lot to tell you... I should've told you in the first place but it wasn't my —" Joan was interrupted by a business colleague of her.

She looked like she was about to cry — which left a bitter taste in my mouth. I excused myself to leave her and talk to her friend. Good thing she got sidetracked, at least I had an excuse to step away.

"What took you so long? Do you know your mom had a fixed affinity to your ex-girlfriend?" Dakota smirked at me as I sat on the chair right beside her.

"She was so crazy about your relationship with the Ariana Grande." She finished explaining before sipping her champagne.

Of course, with an eye roll, I just shrugged at her. I honestly didn't wanna talk about it anymore.

"Just stay quiet and pretty, Coqui. I don't need your smart mouth right now."

She just giggled at me. At this rate, my eyes will be dragged behind my skull with the tines I rolled my eyes.
_________________________________

"How are things back home, Cleo? It's been a while since you went here to LA." Dad said as we ate the breakfast my mom prepared.

Growing up, I've never had an experience where my mom cooked us breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Either she was overseas, or she was really busy before.

"It's okay, I'm getting a hang of it." I smirked at him, knowing full well that he knew what has been going on with the company.

"Hmm... getting a hang of it? You've been killing it, kiddo -- and I'm so proud of you." He smiled at me like a proud dad he is.

We talked about his recent investments and other things that we haven't been able to catch up with on the phone. He was really interested about my daily activities, just like before... now I really feel bad about not giving them enough time whenever I can.

Half an hour later, mom joined us at the table. She hugged me tight like she hasn't seen me last night.

"Mom, seriously -- I was here last night." I told her, fixing my collar that almost choked me from the embrace.

She gave me a stinky eye. "I missed my daughter, I'll hug you whenever I want to!"

Dad just chuckled and put his coffee down the table. He cleared his throat so mom and I looked at him.

"So.. Dakota -- your guest last night?" He said, trailing off and just waiting for me to talk.

I rolled my eyes at him, then I saw my mom curiously gaze at me. Jesus -- not again.

"No dad, she's my friend and that's it. We're not in a relationship, nor getting into one. I've had enough heartbreaks for a century." I sassily answered him even without the questions.

He held his hands up in a surrender. "I was just curious, don't blame me. She's a beautiful woman." He shrugged and continued sipping his coffee, again.

"I heard she was a Hollywood actress... but starred in a racy film before. What was that called, Gilbert?" My mom said, pointing her fork to my dad -- like she was threatening him.

Dad snickered and coughed before clearing his pipe again. "Uh, I don't know, honey. It was something based on a book, I think."

I wanted to laugh at him, he looked so uncomfortable right now. Mom on the other hand wasn't really amused by this. She looked at him sharply -- their interaction was really comical... something I have missed during our weekly Skype dinners.

"Anyway, Cleo -- it's good that finally you were able to take a time off. We've missed you so much, you have no idea." She said.

I sighed "I'm still working mom, just remotely. I was lucky enough to organize stuff and mange the teams smoothly so I can actually have the luxury to visit you guys."

It has been three years of sleepless nights, sweat, and tears -- after being able to stabilize everything during the transition period, finally I could actually go out of the office and work somewhere besides the constricted four walls.

I almost wanted to kill Nicholas when I found out about what he did before I stepped in. He's lucky his father was a part of the board... I was actually thinking about buying out their shares in the company. Nasty motherfucker -- he did some shady shit that I had to clean up.

My parents talked about their recent trip -- they went to Italy and did some "Art Shopping" as my mom called it. I was listening to their stories, when my phone buzzed and almost gave me a heart attack.

"Go answer it, honey. It might be important." My mom dismissed me from the table.

Luckily, she understands how it is -- she knew that my lines had to be kept open anytime.

I walked to the open area near the garden, a couple of feet away from where my parents sat. My phone stopped buzzing indicating the call to have stopped. However, when I was about to place it back to my pocket, I saw Kuya Nathan's caller ID flash again.

Great -- just what I needed. Maybe he's calling about the contract I had our legal team revise.

"Kuya, what's up?" I answered.

I waited for him to talk over the line -- after a few seconds, his gruff voice was a bit more strained than normal.

"Have you opened the envelop I gave you?" My frown deepened. Seriously?

"Look, I haven't had the time to open it and to be honest, I have no interest." I tried to reign my temper -- I don't want to cause a scene here.

"You're in LA right now, right?" He asked so I just answered with a quick "Yes."

"Open it and give me a call -- I have to go now, please Cleo. Open the damn thing." He said before hanging up on me.

I looked at my phone screen... did he just really hang up on me? Oh god -- I never thought that my cousin would get into my nerves like this.

When I got back to the table, Mom was a bit quiet. My dad though, looked pissed and annoyed at the same time. What the hell happened, it was just a two-minute phone call, what did I miss?

"Um, guys -- what's wrong?" I asked them.

Both were quiet and just giving me shrugs. Okay -- now, I really wanna know. I just raised my eyebrows at them.

"Seriously mom... dad, I just took a phone call and I come back you're all sulky? What's wrong?" I pressed again.

"Your mother --" Dad started but Mom interrupted him quickly.

"Nothing, sweetheart. It was just your father, being him." She rolled her eyes, in the classic Leona Phillips fashion.

"Anyway, invite Dakota next week for our family dinner. It's been a while since you came here with friends... I -- kind of miss the feeling of a full house." She said, slightly indicating that she missed my friends too.

"I don't know mom, she might be busy. I'll ask." Of course, I won't -- Dakota made it clear last night when we went home that she no longer want to be invited and deal with that again.

It was bad enough that my mother insinuated that we were more than friends (well, she wasn't wrong -- but we don't want any relationship beyond the sexual one that we have).

God -- why did I get a rock to bash my head with in the first place. Ugh!
_________________________________

"Ms. Phillips, you have Mr. Montez for your 2 PM tomorrow. I've penciled him in for a conference call with the head of our Marketing department for the telco deal." Jade, my ever efficient secretary said over the phone.

I was walking down the isle inside the local grocery store to get something for my dinner. I planned to cook for a change. It's been a while since I used my kitchen.

"Alright, thanks Jade. I'll give you a heads-up early tomorrow for any changes in my schedule." I said before ending the call.

I was about to pull up my text messages to check Nathan's thread, when I felt a pull on my trousers.

I irritably looked at my side, thinking that I got caught up by something that was sticking on the stands — but to my surprise, I was actually being held back by a little boy.

He looked small and... lost. Holy shit — who would leave a cute little boy like this.

I looked around, checking for someone who might be searching for him. But no one was actually near us... he must've wandered by hinself and lost his parents.

I kneeled to his level, so I could talk to him. I hope I'd be able to get a little information so I could help him. He seemed like he was just about 3 years old... his eyes was down cast and he was shyly looking at the floor.

"Hi, buddy — are you lost? Do you want me to help you look for your mom and dad?" I softly asked him.

I was taken a back when he raised his head — a flash of recognition seemed to have passed in his little, brown doe-eyes. My head reeled in — and I felt something tug in my heart.

The way he looked at me was a mix of wonder and... longing. Weird — he looked like someone... but I couldn't really place it.

His little hand reach out to my face, almost as if to check if I was real. Okay — now this is getting creepy.

I was about to avoid his hand but before he could touch my cheek, a tall guy hollered from the end of the isle, making the both of us flinch and look at him.

"Austin! Oh my god — honey!" His voice was frantic. Like he was searching for him all this time.

He rushed to where we stood and immediately picked up the little boy. Austin looked shaken as well — but his eyes never left me.

To be honest, I was actually drawn to him as well. Like I couldn't take my eyes off of him... which was weird because, while I like kids — I have never, ever felt like I wanted to hug them when they looked like they were about to cry.

The minute the waterworks start, I give them back to their parents. Pfff.

"I'm sorry, he just wandered off. One minute I was just getting some cereals then he was gone. Thank you for keeping him here." The man said, sighing in relief.

His hands were firmly holding the little boy in his arms, who now had his back on me.

"Nah, he looked so lost so I wanted to help him. Good thing you came right away." I smiled at him, offering my hand.

He looked like a decent guy, and from what I can see — very gay.

"I'm Cleo."

He took my hand and accepted the shake — "I'm Hale. My husband's actually waiting for us in the register, so we have to get going. But it's nice to meet you Cleo."

I just nodded and moved to the side so they could pass. He thanked me again, then as I looked at them, Austin waved at me with a small smile.

I beamed at him adoringly, and returned his wave. Cute little guy.

"Must be nice, huh..." I muttered to myself.

I walked further into the store, and strolled to make sure I don't miss out on any ingredient I need, until my phone buzzed in my pockets again.

Goddammit — can't I get at least a few minutes?!

I didn't even look at the caller ID and picked up the call grumpily.

"What?" I huffed.

"Woah — nice of you to finally pick up my call. Long time to talk, Clay." My eyes widened upon hearing the voice of my best friend.

It's been years since we talked... and I technically estranged her from my life. Fuck — I forgot that I didn't block her number. She must've gotten my number from my mom.

I composed myself, of course I need to be firm.

"Jasmine, I don't have time for your games. What do you want, I'm busy." Yes... I have to fucking act. I know that she's still friends with... her.

"Wow, Cleo — well, sorry for bothering you. I just thought it would be nice to invite my best friend to my engagement party. Because, even though she's a fucking asshole who cut me off for no reason — I still love her and I want her to be there on my special day."

I was floored, and I didn't know how to respond. Jasmine's voice was cracking the whole time... and I knew that she was about to cry.

And believe me... I've only seen Jas cry a handful of times.

Fuck... I'm so sorry for hurting you too Jazzy...

Maybe it's time for me to let go of my selfishness and pride... and at least talk to her. She never hated me — I was expecting her to hate me.

I cleared my throat to cover up the emotions swirling. "Congratulations, Jasmine."

I heard her sigh. "Thanks. I guess this is you declining my invitation?" She said.

"Well... I just tried. I — I really wanna see you and talk to you, Clay. I missed you." I stayed quiet, though I wanted to tell her I missed her too.

It's been three years.... three long years...

"Are you free right now?" I asked her.

She gasped over the line. "Yes. Of course, why?"

Jasmine sounded breathless, I almost wanted to chuckle — typical Jazzy, when she gets excited.

"Come to my old apartment, I'm cooking dinner." Maybe it's really the time to reconcile with her... I miss my best friend...

Ariana already had her for these past years... maybe I could have my time now?

"Oh my — you're back?! Are kidding me?! Clay!" I chuckled at Jasmine's hysterical behavior.

This is something that I really missed about her.

"Yeah, and don't make me change my mind Jasmine. I'll wait for you there. Bye." I answered her and ended the call before she could even speak.

For the first time in 3 years... I felt lighter...

Maybe this is what I really needed... baby steps though. Then maybe — I'd be able to get over Ariana.
__________________________________
Threeeee thousaaaand words, jeez — please don't hate meeee 😖😆

Lots of comments were so confused about the jump. I'll do my best to make it make sense in the coming chapters!!! LMAO.

Don't worry, it was meant to be confusing. 🥹

Enjoy 🤍

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33K 902 63
Ever since I was 9 she was my bestfriend, Over time my feeling towards her grew and she meant everything to me even if she didn't know that. When I...
3.5K 103 15
๐“†ฉ โ™ก ๐“†ช ๐จ๐›ยท๐ฌ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ /๐จ๐›๐ฌ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ž๐: ๐ฉ๐ซ๐ž๐จ๐œ๐œ๐ฎ๐ฉ๐ฒ ๐จ๐ซ ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฆ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐จ๐Ÿ (๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐จ๐ง๐ž) ๐œ๐จ๐ง๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐ฎ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ฒ, ๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐ซ๐ฎ๐ฌ๏ฟฝ...
366K 8.1K 20
Ariana Grande, a world wide sensation. Famous for producing hundreds of Pop hits. Most people describe her as an incredible work force with a loving...
18.2K 885 14
Right as I read her message. I accidentally clashed with some which sent my phone into the air "Ow, my bad, I'm so sorry" I said looking at the note...