• A Blackbird's Serenade •

By jada_nb

In another life I'll reach for her hand and no one will wonder if we're friends or something more In another... More

* Main Characters *
"Unforgettable Rhythms"
"Sunshine & The Blues"
"Dandelion Soul"
"Blue Moon"
"Nocturnal Dreams"
"Broadened Horizons"
"Transparent Masquerade"
"Can I Call You Rose?"
"Golden Butterflies"
"Clair De Lune"
"Kiss 'Nd Tell"
"I Only Have Eyes For You"
"Like a Star"
"A Fool In Love"
"Escapism"
*Cast Update*
"Midnight Symphonies"
"One Night Only"
"Slow Dancing In The Dark"
"Funny How Time Flies"
"Underneath The Tree"
"When It Rains It Pours"
"Blue Robin"
"A Dove's Orchid"
"Waltz In A Black Dress"
"Almomd Blossoms"
"Emotional Intelligence"
"Cinnamon Girl"
"A Cracked Crescent Heart"
"Eternal Souvenirs"
"L-O-V-E is All That I Can Give to You"
"Harmonies of Hope, Remedies of Renaissance"
"Young And Beautiful"
"Dream A Little Dream Of Me"
"Welcome To New York"
"Candlelight Wishes"
"Rumor Has It"
"The Wisp Sings"
"Swan Lake"
"Distant Lover"
"Ain't No Sunshine"
"Don't They Know, It's The End of The World"
"Set Fire To The Rain"
"When Autumn Leaves Start To Fall"
"Chamber Of Reflection"
"Home Is Wherever I'm With You"
"Red Lily"
"Here Comes The Sun"
"Welcome To The 60's"
"Above The Velvet Avenue"
"Embers & Ashes"
*Announcement: New Storyy!!*
"Black Leaves"
"Easier Said Than Done"

"Sweet Briar"

215 12 2
By jada_nb

Omniscient

An anticipating silence was welcomed throughout the club as her name was announced. And just then, the velvet curtains parted.

Tonight's gown was a silk and flowy emerald green dress, embroidered with a golden flower at the cinched waist. The dress was semi backless, with its long silk straps tied around her neck and hanging to her shapely behind.

Instead of flowing down, the singer's hair was in a curly updo, accentuating her structured jawline. And her makeup had the audience thinking she was some sort of goddess. Just like every night, she looked captivatingly unreal.

As the audience's applause died down, the intro to tonight's song began.

"In a sentimental mood..." she sang, her voice thick with emotion. "I can see the stars come through my room..."

Like they did every night, Journee's eyes scanned the room, briefly holding contact with a few people just for effect. And as they seemed to do lately, they paused on one set of eyes in particular.

It seemed as though Tiana was entranced once again, despite her best efforts. Journee never failed to internally have her jaw on the floor and her eyes instantly fill with awe. Everytime those curtains would part, she couldn't help but stop whatever she was doing to watch, much like everyone else in the room.

Surely everyone else in the room had to feel the same way she did when watching the woman on stage as well...

"In this sentimental bliss, you make my paradise complete..." Journee finally drifted her gaze elsewhere, releasing Tiana from her enchanted hold. "Rose petals seem to fall, it's all I could dream to call you mine..."

"Uh, miss?" The man at her table called, having her attention snap to him. "Did you hear my order??"

"I'm sorry, I must've checked out a second." Tiana readied her notepad once more, trying to shake the stunning image of Journee from her mind. "That's my bad Sir, you go ahead."

"You fine," he smiled. "I'll have the Cajun wings as my appetizer. Then the fried shrimp platter for myself and a caesar salad for the lady." He motioned to the woman sitting next to him, who looked as if that wasn't what she really wanted to order.

Mentally huffing a breath, Tiana smiled while noting the order. "That all for you?"

"That'll do it-" She turned to walk away. "Oh- can I have another scotch darlin'? Thank you."

Continuing to the back, the woman muttered under her breath. "And what if I just said no??" She mocked. "Asshat."

~~~~~~~~

After her performance, Journee made her rounds throughout the room before heading to her dressing room.

But before she could leave, she heard a familiar voice call out to her. She spun on her heels to its direction, then emitted an excited smile.

"Well don't you look beautiful," Franklin chuckled as she ran into his arms, giggling. "And you sounded it too- look at you!" He held her waist at a distance as she cupped his face.

"You saw the whole thing?"

"Of course I did- wouldn't miss it for the world babygirl." Franklin kissed her forehead as Journee hugged him again. "I like this club too. It's rather classy for black folks."

They locked arms while going to take a seat at an empty table.

"I thank James for that," Journee sighed. "He found this place for me. Made it permanent."

"They treatin' you nice here, Jo?" He put a hand to her cheek sweetly before drawing it back. And she grinned,

"Yes Franky, I like it here- promise."

Her best friend nodded. "Good."

"What you doin' here tonight anyway? Thought you were heading' out for another trip?"

Franklin sighed, adjusting his trilby hat. "Got business to attend to here actually. They got a Panthers group startin' up downtown and I thought it best to see what they talkin' bout."

"Ain't they dangerous, Franky?" she asked discreetly. But he smiled,

"Only to the public- c'mon Jo, I taught you better than that."

"No, I know who they are and what they're about. But you my brotha and I want you to be safe and stay alive, Franky. You understand?"

"You ain't gon' lose me babygirl. I'll be careful- promise, alright?" He reached to swipe his thumb across her cheek again to assure her. But Journee gave a pleading look. "Least I'll be closer to you now. I can come see you bring down the house almost every night now." That earned a slight grin.

"Can't be mad at that-"

"Nope you cannot-" he booped her nose, making her giggle. "Admit it, you've missed me."

"Neva." She smirked and he mirrored it teasingly.

"Excuse me-" James came up behind Journee, though glaring at Franklin. He put his hands on her shoulders before bending down to her ear. "Dressing room, now."

"Well hello to you too, Mr. Dawson."

"Franklin." James mustered a fake grin as Journee stood. His hand went around her waist as he turned her away. "If you'll excuse us- my girlfriend and I need to talk."

"Mhm," Franklin watched as they walked away.

He never really liked James, but Journee claimed the man treated her well and took care of her. She told him that James makes her happy, so Franklin couldn't do anything but dislike the man from afar. 

As they walked away, Journee smiled and said 'thank you' to everyone who complimented her. Then as soon as the two arrived and shut the dressing room door, the smile faded.

Back on the floor, Tiana had watched it all discreetly out of the corner of her eye. She wondered who Franklin was, and why Journee had lit up as bright as the sun the minute she saw him. She wondered what the two talked about at the table that had Journee blushing and giggling. And she wondered what James had said to her that made it all shatter to dust.

After taking out trays of food to her three tables, she went back to get their drink refills.

Once done, she went into the kitchen to hangout with the cooks; like she usually did when everything was done. It comforted her, being able to come back there with the cooks and laugh and joke like old times. She enjoyed waitressing but being a cook was home to her.

"Hey T!" Raven called out from beside the grill.

"Yeah Rae?"

"Will you go get my towel from the back please? I'm sweatin bullets over here!"

Tiana chuckled. "I'll be right back. Anybody else need somethin'?"

"Nah, we good," they replied in unison.

After telling Kyla to cover for her, she ran upstairs to get Raven's towel.

Though while up there, she heard yelling. Her eyebrows furrowed as she looked for where it was coming from. Then she realized she'd seen Journee and her boyfriend go up there just minutes prior.

"Do you want this or not?!" She heard the man yell. Then she came closer to the door, completely forgetting about Raven's towel.

"I'm sorry James, I wasn't thinking baby. I-It won't happen again."

The singer was sitting in her chair, facing the mirror ringed with lit light bulbs. She was now staring at herself in the reflection and the irritated man pacing behind her.

"You can't be up there singing sad ass songs every night Journee, that ain't the image we tryna sell for you! You ain't no damn blues singer!"

"I'm sorry-"

"Quit saying you sorry and just sing the damn songs I asked you to sing! You hear?!"

She bit her lip, now trying not to cry. "Yes..."

"You wanna make it big, you best do what the hell I tell you." His finger pointed at the side of her head. Then they met eyes through the mirror. "And quit embarrassing me with Franklin- all that damn laughin' and huggin' and shit," he spat.

"He's my best friend James-"

"I don't give a damn Journee!" She jumped at the raise of his voice. "You my girl! You hear me?! I bet not hear nam ' 'nother nigga come up to me askin' why my girlfriend all over another man! What you ain't finna do is embarrass me- with all the shit I'm doin' for you!?"

"James I'm sorry," Journee whispered again. And she hated the way her voice cracked when she did.

"Hey..." he lowered his voice while standing her up. "I'm sorry baby, don't cry- Ian mean to yell, okay?" He wiped her tears as she nodded. "I just love you so much, and want you to be a star just as much as you do. And I wanna be the person that gets you there- we in this together remember?"

"Mhm," she muttered as he kissed her cheek. "I know..."

"Forgive me?" He took hold of her chin, searching her glossed eyes. "Please?"

"Of course," she whispered. "I get it, I upset you...it won't happen again."

Looking his girlfriend up and down, James pulled her closer by the waist. He made Journee meet his eyes again, with a finger under her chin.

"Cheer up, will ya?" His thumb brushed her lip. "How bout a smile, huh?"

"I don't feel like smiling right now James..." She dropped her gaze again as he let her go. "Can I just... have a mintue, please?"

"Of course baby, I'll be down stairs." He kissed her temple as she sat back down in the chair. "Don't take too long, okay?"

And with that, he was out of the door. By the time he'd left, Tiana was no longer listening on the outside. She'd gone to get Raven's towel, then discreetly watched as James went back downstairs.

Then instead of following him, like she knew she should, she wandered back to the door that read 'guest stars only.'

It was cracked, and she could see Journee through it. The woman was sitting in her chair with her head down. It looked as if she was going to cry, again.

Furrowing her eyebrows, she leaned in closer, wondering what happened that the singer was sad now. And just when she'd come to her senses and was about to flee, the floor caused a croaking noise.

Shit, she thought to herself.

"I-I'm sorry, your door was open..." Journee locked eyes with her before drawing her attention back to her lap, sniffling. "Journee, you alright?"

"I'm fine..." The woman stood with a sigh and wiped her face. "I know you don't like me but please don't tell anyone."

"That's not..." Her words slowly paused once Journee turned to her, revealing her stunning stage appearance up close. "That's not true..." Tiana whispered, unintentionally.

Walking up to her, the singer chuckled. "Yes it is, you don't have to lie... I like you though..." She tilted her head with an amused grin. "So maybe you'll eventually come around. I know you think all singers are divas, Ms. Thomas, but that ain't me."

By now the two women were face to face, and both had distinct internal feelings about the closeness. A feeling that neither of them understood.

Though as Journee became even more curious about Tiana than she was before... Tiana became even more frightened of the stunning mystique that was Journee Rose...

Then, as they shared eye contact before Tiana looked away, Journee flashed a moderate smile.

"Hey Tiana..."

"Yes?" The woman cleared her throat. Then her eyes followed Journee's finger behind her.

"You're blocking the door sweetheart-"

"Oh! Jesus-" she quickly stepped aside as Journee chuckled to herself. "I'm sorry, I-"

"No worries lovebug, even tough girls get starstruck from time to time." Her southern accent was evident as she smirked on the way out. "You comin'?"

"I- I wasn't..." giving up trying to defend, she followed Journee while making her way downstairs. "Starstruck..." she whispered to herself.

~~~~~~~~~

With the night coming to an end, the staff finished up with closing the club as a few men hung around outside.

"Now what's it gonna take for me to get your name darlin'?"

"Oh I don't know, buy me a donut or somethin,'" Coco smiled at him. "Or a car, your pick-" she arched a brow.

He smirked at her. "Testin' me, huh?"

"Call it what you want," she chuckled. "But know that I'm crazy and ain't got time for games, Negro."

Laying a hand to his chest, Franklin pretended to be hurt by her words.

"Ima make you mines girl, you just watch."

"Ha, let me get my glasses real quick-" she started to walk away.

But he reached for her hand, bringing it to his lips as she turned back around. Twisting her mouth to prevent a smile, she met his eyes as he looked up from her hand.

"Your name Miss...pretty please??" He pulled her hand closer, taking gentle hold of her chin. "I promise you won't regret it..."

Narrowing her eyes, she squeezed his hand before pulling away. "It's Coco," she said before walking off again.

Watching her with infatuation, Franklin smiled wide. "It's nice to meet you Coco!"

"Mhm," she dismissively waved a hand behind her. Though her smile was just as big while she continued on to her car.

Over by the entrance, Journee stood with James, talking to an investor. And as he walked away, Franklin walked back up to them.

"You take care of her, James," Franklin said to the man. "You hear?"

Journee's head tilted. "Franky please-"

"Journee." He jerked at her waist, prompting her to purse her lips. "Franklin, don't be telling me what to do with my girl. Matter of fact, keep your distance. We good over here."

"You watch who you talkin' to Dawson." Franklin bucked his eyes before glaring at James. "I'm just lookin' out for a friend."

"Yeah okay."

"Listen, can we just get along?" Journee instersected. "James, I told you it won't happen again. Please don't push him away." She looked into his eyes.

"Of course," he touched her cheek. "Say your goodbye's, I'm waiting in the car."

As he walked away, the two old friends shared a sighing hug.

"If he's mistreating you, you better tell me Jo- Ian playing with you-"

"He's not, Franky." She peered up at him within his arms. "He's just protective over me, okay? Sometimes our relationship makes him upset."

"I ain't goin nowhere, Jo- I don't care what your insecure ass boyfriend has to say 'bout it."

"And of course I don't want you to Franky, I just..." She tilted her head at him. "Can you just meet him in the middle a bit? Please- for me??"

Looking at her while rubbing her arms, Franklin sighed before drawing her head to his chest.

"Only for you Jo-" he kissed the top of her head. "Only for you..."

A faint smile tugged Journee's lips as she tightened their embrace. Then out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Tiana, talking to Lynette as the women were exiting the club.

"I'll see you later Franky," she drew back with a smile before kissing his cheek. "I love you- be safe alright?"

"I love you too Jo, take care babygirl." Franklin then called for his friend that he'd spotted. "Ayo Terrance! Wait up!"

As he ran off, Journee stood with a small smirk, waiting for Tiana to notice. And when she did, Journee tilted her head, signaling that she wanted to talk.

Moments later, Tiana said goodnight to Lynette before ambling up to the woman.

"Ms. Rose," she nodded.

"Oh please, call me Journee," she grinned. "No need for formalities-" she waved a hand.

"Sure, if you say so... Listen, I apologize for invading your privacy like that-"

"Quite alright sweetheart... I just hope you won't say nothin' 'bout that to nobody- I don't need no rumors spreadin.'"

"Of course not- wouldn't dream of it..." She then paused with a look into Journee's eyes. Then she glanced away. "I should also apologize for my behavior. I ain't been fair to you, and that's wrong of me to be so judgmental."

Shrugging a shoulder, Journee breathed out a smiling sigh. "I'm willing to forget about it if you are..."

Tiana then smirked. "Forget about what?"

Letting out a fair giggle, Journee blushingly dropped her head. And Tiana's insides warmed at the sight of it. Just then, she heard a horn honk, signaling her boyfriend's impatience.

Glancing over at the vehicle, the two then met each other's eyes again.

"Suppose I should get goin-'" Journee offered a grin, now stepping away. "I'll see you around Thomas."

"So you get to call me Thomas but I gotta call you Journee?" Tiana teased.

The singer smirked while walking backwards. "That's right." And with a meek giggle, she'd turned to get into the car.

Attempting to contain a sheepish grin, Tiana shook her head while making her way to her own car.

Lord help me, she thought to herself as she got inside.

~~~~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.7K 666 15
Uhh- I suck at description. So I am not writing
64.7K 2.1K 91
Just read you won't regret it...
19.8K 873 21
a s4s book where they're not gangbanging and dying i don't fucking know.
28.8K 582 24
just read it. Stud x Fem Hey yalllll! Don't be a ghost reader, talk to me I don't bite. ❤︎