𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄, reign

By nicbelles

❝ Oh, to be alone with you. ❞ In which Elspeth Liens ... More

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐏𝐇.
𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐏𝐇𝐈𝐂 𝐆𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐘.
𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄.
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄.
⁰¹, WELCOME TO FRENCH COURT
⁰², THE GRIM'S HUNTER
⁰³, IN A ROOM AWAY FROM THE WORLD
⁰⁴, THE HOUSE OF MEDICI
⁰⁵, BETWEEN TWO BROTHERS
⁰⁶, BEYOND THE BLOOD WOOD
⁰⁷, LOVE AND A HARD PLACE
⁰⁸, AN ADVENTURE AFTER SICKNESS
⁰⁹, A MICHAELMAS PROPOSAL
¹⁰, HADES AND PERSEPHONE
¹¹, FRENCH FRIENDSHIPS
¹², A CLOSE FRIENDSHIP
¹³, MEANING OF THE STAG
¹⁴, INTO THE WOODS
¹⁵, THE CASTLE'S BEEN SEIZED
¹⁶, BACK TO SCOTLAND
¹⁷, SWINGING SWORDS
¹⁸, THE FUTURE KING OF FRANCE
¹⁹, WHAT IT TAKES TO HUNT
²⁰, FALLING INTO FAITH
²¹, THE QUEENS FAVORITE
²², RESPECT AND POWER
²³, A TRIP TO PARIS
²⁴, TO TRULY LIVE
²⁵, TO STEAL IT BACK
²⁶, THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE
²⁷, THE PLAN TO RETURN
²⁸, WE LEAVE TONIGHT
²⁹, FOR OUR LIVES
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐎.
³⁰, A HUNTER'S WIFE
³¹, HIDDEN IN THE CASTLE
³², GUARDED
³⁴, WEDDING NIGHT
³⁵, A NEW PLACE AT COURT
³⁶, TOGETHER AGAIN
³⁷, A BLESSING
³⁸, THE FIRST DANCE
³⁹, HOPELESS
⁴⁰, THE LOYAL ADVISOR
⁴¹, OFF TO CONQUER
⁴², THE GREAT HUGO LAURENT
⁴³, TWO QUEENS
⁴⁴, THE EYES OF A MAD KING
⁴⁵, A CLEARING IN THE WOODS
⁴⁶, THE LIGHT OF THE SUN
⁴⁷, LOST
⁴⁸, A NAVAL SPECTACLE
⁴⁹, LONG LIVE THE KING
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄.
⁵⁰, INEVITABLE
⁵¹, NEWS FROM SCOTLAND
⁵², THE MONSTER OF FRANCE
⁵³, FRIENDS AND FOES
⁵⁴, MY FRIENDS AND I
⁵⁵, THE DUKE OF BOURBON
⁵⁶, LOVE YOU SO
⁵⁷, MINT, LAVENDER, HEMLOCK
⁵⁸, A RELIGIOUS SPECTACLE
⁵⁹, FRIENDS
⁶⁰, FIRST PRIORITY
⁶¹, CHANGE THE LAWS
⁶², THE LIENS ESTATE
⁶³, ELSPETH'S EASEL
⁶⁴, UNDER THE APPLE TREE
⁶⁵, HALF OF ME
⁶⁶, THE TRUTH COMES OUT
⁶⁷, HUSBAND, FATHER, SON, AND BROTHER
⁶⁸, INSIDE THE HOME
⁶⁹, IN A CARRIAGE
⁷⁰, OUR OWN FOREVER
⁷¹, A PLOT OF LAND
⁷², WHO SHOULD CHOOSE
⁷³, IN THE NIGHT

³³, VERY DIFFERENT MEN

782 48 42
By nicbelles

𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄.
chapter thirty-three; Very Different Men
" I would have married you before anyone had the chance to break an engagement. "

THE FOLLOWING DAYS were a blur. Demetre was Elspeth's shadow, only every two steps behind her. Nostradamus continued to allow Elspeth to assist in Olivia's healing, and once the blonde had regained more of her mind, they discovered more about her story.

She'd been gone for months, ever since the day the castle had been taken, a memory that still sent a shudder down Elspeth's spine. Olivia had escaped into the forest, captured by hunters and peasants, and given to the Darkness.

She told them she'd been fed on, in and out of consciousness-- she hadn't even known how long she'd been missing.

Demetre and Nostradamus spoke in hushed tones about the revelation after the latter agreed that Elspeth should help Olivia bathe and change her worn clothes for fresh ones.

"You must hate me."

Elspeth furrowed her brows as she rounded the tub, kneeling beside it and gently pouring more water through Olivia's matted hair.

"For fleeing that night?" Elspeth questioned, starting to untangle the girl's hair.

"For leaving you, all of you," Olivia said, nervously glancing to her, "It could have been your ruin."

"Catherine saved us," Elspeth said quietly.

They said nothing else as Elspeth worked through her hair until it was a smooth curtain of gold. Elspeth carefully selected gentle soaps; ones without any harsh fragrances, and helped Olivia rid the dirt on her skin.

"You made a mistake," Elspeth finally said, "One because you were scared. I was angry. . . I was terrified."

Olivia shrunk as she spoke.

"That night haunts me, still," Elspeth continued, "On occasion. . . But you have been through Hell, Olivia. If God balances the scales in life, yours were weighted disproportionately to your wrongdoings. Now is not the time to focus on what you could have done. Now is the time to turn away from the past and look forward."

"You are too kind."

"I have been told that before," Elspeth breathed, "I do not believe this is one of those instances."

Elspeth continued, halting when she began helping Olivia clean the dirt on her back.

"What?" Olivia questioned nervously as Elspeth's movements stopped, "What is it?"

"You have a wound here that Nostradamus has not seen to," Elspeth said quietly, staring at a large bump on the girl's back, "It must be infected-- he will have to drain it."

Olivia let out a shaky breath.

"He is the best physician in France," Elspeth assured, "You will be better, Olivia."

The blonde nodded but said nothing else.

Elspeth helped her into new clothes once she was cleaned entirely, even braiding the girl's wet hair so it remained out of the way. Once they emerged, Elspeth shared her findings with Nostradamus, who nodded and led Olivia upstairs to where he would tend to the newfound wound.

Elspeth sighed, taking a seat beside a tense Demetre Langlois.

"Do you think a woman could become a physician?" Elspeth questioned after a moment.

"I think you could," Demetre answered before he could think.

Elspeth smiled lightly, looking down at her lap.

"Petal, I apologize if I overstepped when I arrived, I just--"

"Don't, please."

Demetre felt his heart lurch as her hand gripped his harshly.

"Elle, I have been far too informal with you for a very long time," Demetre breathed, "The other night I crossed a line I should not have--"

"Please."

Her voice wavered, making Demetre look up at her. She had already been looking at him, the middle of her brows turning upward in pleading.

"Do not push me away," She whispered.

"I could never, but--"

"Then don't," Elspeth said, "Formality, court rules-- you are the one who has stood by my side. You are the one who has put me first. You are the one who has given me comfort when no one else could; I do not want anything to change. I couldn't bear it if anything changed."

Demetre breathed deeply, and for just a second, the air felt different.

"As you wish, Petal."

Elspeth smiled softly, basking in the light of Demetre's gaze.

And then just as quickly, things shifted.

The door opened, and Elspeth jolted, fear gripping her heart as she hurried to hide, only to realize who it was.

"Elspeth."

Francis moved first, whatever mood he had hanging over his head changed instantly as he rushed to the girl, hugging her tightly.

"Francis, what are you doing here?" Elspeth questioned, hugging him back. Only then did she notice the other two figures, lingering back, "Mary, Sebastian--?"

"Bash told us there's something in the wood," Francis informed, pulling away, "Though I don't believe in monsters-- he won't rest."

"Because it threatens--!"

"The two of you aren't safe here," Francis urged, ignoring his brother's interruption, "He told me of what happened with my guards; he's agreed once we put this to rest the two of you will set off to Scotland. We're here to speak with Olivia."

Elspeth felt a presence behind her.

"Go speak with her, then," Demetre's voice came out cold, "She is upstairs, with Nostradamus. He is still tending to her wounds."

Elspeth was not blind to the change of Sebastian's expression.

"Come with us," Sebastian said suddenly, "You know the woods better than anyone, even myself--"

"Bash, you know I cannot," Demetre said tightly.

"This is for the safety of--"

"Bash," Demetre tried to warn.

"--The people who reside here, and anywhere near the--"

"Face the monster on your own," Demetre all but roared, "I've killed a beast of those woods before, and I assure you, another will take its place, Sebastian De Poitiers."

"So we are to leave it and--"

"Sebastian. . ."

The man looked down, his face splaying in shock as Elspeth Liens placed a gentle hand on his chest, her brows knitted together.

"You won't ask that of him," Elspeth said quietly, shaking her head, "I won't let you."

"Elle. . ." Sebastian said, his confusion and jealousy clear on his face as he looked between the girl and Demetre, "What-- why is he even here, you were meant to. . ."

"Nostradamus thought it best someone be here to watch over Olivia and me while he attended duties outside," Elspeth spoke calmly, "Demetre was one of the few we could trust to keep the secret."

"Still, if there is a monster in those woods, the acclaimed Hunter of The Grim should not be scared of--"

"Bash," Francis spoke, stepping in, "We both know--"

"Only a fool would blaze into those woods claiming he held no fear," Demetre said emptily, though his voice filled the room, "Speak with Olivia. Hear her story and heed her warnings. Then go off to slay your beast, Sebastian. Claim the title, 'Slayer of Darkness'. Be ready for the rumors, for people to whisper that you absorb what you have killed-- for others to beg at your feet for a story of your fight, no matter how terrible. And hold onto your glory, because clearly that is what matters most to you."

"You do not know what matters--"

"Then why not run?" Demetre challenged, crossing his arms over his chest, "If you had to deliver Olivia to save her life, why not drop her off in silence, then ask your brother or me for safe passage to Scotland? If glory doesn't matter, then why have you not made it to your wedding yet, Sebastian De Poitiers? Why have you not brought Elspeth to her family?"

Everyone was tense. Silent. Elspeth stood uneasily between the two men, glancing over Sebastian's shoulder to see Francis who had stepped forward, and Mary who still stood nervously by the door.

"Who are you to question the choices we have made in the face of what we have been forced into?"

"I doubt this was Elspeth's idea," Demetre scoffed, "Sending you out into the wood after some mythical Darkness doesn't sound like it would come from her--"

"And you know her best, do you?"

"I surely spend the most time with her."

"And what is that supposed to--"

"Demetre gave you his answer, he will not join you," Elspeth raised her voice, "If you must do this, then do it, so we may finally get on with our lives, Sebastian! It is one thing after another, I tire of pushing it off, of waiting and running; I am done waiting. So go, speak with Olivia."

Sebastian stared at her.

"I promise I will have a word with Demetre as well, he is not exempt from this," Elspeth pointed, "The last thing I will have is the two of you arguing over something so foolish."

Silence settled for a moment before Mary spoke up.

"Then let us see Olivia," She said gently, "She's upstairs, you said?"

"Yes," Elspeth sighed, pointing to the stairway, "She is still recovering, so just. . . be kind."

Mary nodded, starting toward the stairs. Francis followed after sending a glance to Sebastian, who reluctantly retreated after them.

Demetre stood with a faint scowl on his face, though it melted away when Elspeth turned to him.

"Was that necessary?"

"Seemed like it, Petal."

She glared.

"I've no interest ever entering those woods--"

"That's not what I meant, and you know it."

Demetre lifted a hand to scratch the base of his neck, letting out a long sigh. He glanced away from her, but Elspeth only stepped back into his line of sight, her expectant expression gnawing at the emotions that had just bubbled to the surface.

"As a friend to the both of you," Demetre sighed, "Sometimes it is my job to be unkind. Today, Bash did not need support. He needed a reminder that the two of you have fought through many obstacles to be wed, and, yes, the attempt on your lives was out of his control; but having you on the road for two months, then returning here to fight something in the woods. . ."

"What else should he have done? Run back to the castle owned by the man I know tried to have us killed--"

"Is that not what happened anyway?" Demetre pressed, "Elle, I don't know! He should have thought! Thought about you, about your safety and happiness! He should have returned with you; Francis or I would have arranged safe passage for the two of you. And if you couldn't do that, the two of you should have gone to Douglas for help, and if you couldn't do that--"

"I get it."

"You don't, Elspeth, and you are smart, you're smarter than I am," Demetre breathed out, dropping his hands to his sides, "I do not know why you can't see this."

"See what?!"

"That Sebastian is selfish when it comes to you," Demetre urged, "That he'd rather try and be the hero! Taking you across France on his own, slaying the Darkness-- He would've taken you as his mistress if he took the throne--"

"--We've spoken about that--"

"--He was going to elope with Mary," Demetre stressed, "And you still want to marry him?"

Elspeth's anger recoiled for a moment, leaving her with a clearer mind. Allowing her to hear him instead of retaliating with another argument.

He was out of breath from his own frustration, his shoulders rising and falling roughly.

"And what would you have done?" She questioned, "If it were you."

"I would have married you before anyone had the chance to break an engagement."

His answer was so quick it startled Elspeth.

"I wouldn't have let anyone take that away," He said quieter, "The moment that proposition arrived, you and I would have left the castle. We would have found your brother, and with your family's help, we'd be in Scotland in two weeks, married."

"You would have abandoned your brother and my queen?"

"I would have abandoned my country. That is what I would have done."

Demetre's voice was only a whisper now. His head was dipped down, as if he was pleading with her to understand what he had, and hadn't, said.

Elspeth was at a loss for words. She had never believed there were many options that she and Sebastian hadn't thought out. But here was Demetre, with a brand new one, claiming it was the clear choice in the matter.

"But you and Sebastian are two very different men."

"I never claimed differently," Demetre said, standing to his full height, "He wants to be the hero in the story, Petal."

"You think you are not?"

"I have been painted a villain since I was nine years of age. Some reputations can never be wiped clean."

Elspeth frowned as Demetre's face became stoic once again.

"He might do the noble thing," Demetre said, "Selflessly taking the crown to save his brother. Bringing Olivia back here to save her life. Slay the Darkness to save the people it harms. . . But heed this warning. Men who think they are noble, they think the world is theirs to save."

"What is wrong with that?"

"They try to save it all. That is always impossible."

"So you would rather I was with a man who would see the world fall to ruin if it ensured my happiness?"

"Oh, Petal. That is only the beginning of what I believe you deserve."

Elspeth's lips parted in shock, but before she could say another word, Sebastian, Francis, and Mary returned down the steps.

"Francis and I are leaving, with a few of his men, to the place Olivia described," Sebastian informed, approaching Elspeth, "We will leave at dawn tomorrow, I swear. Francis is already arranging our transport."

Elspeth only nodded, allowing Sebastian to press a kiss to her cheek.

"Start thinking of what color flowers you want," Sebastian smiled, "We will be busy the moment we arrive in Scotland, Darling."

Elspeth nodded again, smiling faintly as Sebastian rushed from the room, Francis and Mary on his heels.

She had never felt so torn before.

And she felt a gnawing guilt in her stomach for it.

Because Elspeth Liens knew she would have a choice to make tomorrow morning.

To return to Scotland, marry Sebastian De Poitiers, and start their own family.

Or remain in French Court. What would come of it, she had little idea. If she even could, Elspeth was unsure.

But something deep down told her it was not over yet.

( AUTHOR'S NOTE. )
this chapter feels
especially. . . triangle-y
if you know what i mean

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166K 3.1K 200
~Reign AU/Collection of Oneshots~ The world can be dark, Mary, and uncertain and cruel. The only thing that matters is that we face it together. No m...
11.7K 510 16
A girls trip aboard lands Nicole to the royal palace. × Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone-we find it wi...
2.1K 219 39
i am that broken lonely girl, who had enough with her life because of a day, but there he is changing me completely. (COMPLETED) ALL RIGHTS RESEVED.
40.3K 749 21
You were my crown. ---- *completed but being edited* OC x Charles x Bash