Praying For A Miracle (mxm)

Por dreammcatcher

Luca Chessman has been longing for love his entire life. The only problem is-he can't seem to find a guy that... M谩s

Author's Note and Aesthetics
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine

Chapter Fifteen

3.6K 238 14
Por dreammcatcher

After the walls have been painted and the light re-installed without any damage to my face or the rest of the cafe, we get to work with everything else. Declan ordered new flooring to be laid down, he also ordered new counters to go with our new colour scheme.

Whilst he does all the work, I've been mostly tidying up and searching for plants and art online as he does almost everything. He doesn't seem to mind, I don't think. We both know that I might fuck something up if I try and put something together, it's best I stay away.

My only strength is the ability to paint and figure out what to hang on the walls.

I'm totally fine with that responsibility. At least it's safe and I know what my mother will want, it's practically a no brainer.

A tap at the front door has me glancing away from my phone. Declan is pretty much destroying the old counter after we moved all the items inside the cupboards and around the till area.

He didn't take his t-shirt off today, which I'm grateful for. Although he's sweating through that white t-shirt that clings to his biceps and every damn muscle he owns. I can practically see that six pack through the sheer fabric that has been dampened from his sweat.

I hate to admit it's a good look. Especially with smears of dirt down the top and over his hands. Best believe I've tried my hardest not to ogle him today but it's nearly impossible when he's now being the most active.

Let's not talk about the grunts he makes when he ripped the cabinets from the walls.

It's going deep inside my memory for another future shameful experience.

I glance over at the door and spot Alex standing in the glass window, he waves in my direction. As I stand from the chair, I make my way towards the front door and unlock it. He smiles at me when he steps inside. "Hey," I say warmly, taking in those grey eyes I once fantasised over.

"Hey," he nods, then he glances around the cafe. "Wow, this place looks so different already."

I hum in response and look around with him, noticing how Declan has stopped working and is now looking at the pair of us. Alex raises a hand in his direction."Hey," he says to Declan.

He raises a hand as a greeting and presses his mouth into a smile before getting back to work. "I've been walking past everyday on the way to work, thought I'd pop in today and see how things are going. I'm excited for the re-opening."

"Yeah, we really need to plan that." I nod and run my hand down the back of my head. "Should be done by the end of the week, it's a total mess right now but Declan has been super handy and done most of this."

Alex's eyes wander again. "I'm impressed," he says, folding his arms over his chest. Then he watches Declan from across the room but he's not looking in our direction. "Alone time all day, huh?"

I feel him nudge my side and I suck in a breath. "You could say that." I mumble as quietly as possible.

His brows wiggle at me but I roll my eyes. "Anyway," he sighs before opening up his arm and I lean in to give him a hug. "Gotta go to work before I'm late, hopefully we can meet up soon with everyone. I know River has been super busy but let us know the details of the re-opening and we'll be here, without a doubt."

"Thanks, Alex," I mumble into his shoulder, my body relaxing. "I really appreciate it."

As he pulls away he gives me one last smile before he leaves and I lock the door after him. I glance over at Declan who is watching me, sweat beading across his forehead and his dark hair is swept back into a tousled mess.

My stomach lurches, clenches, flips. It does everything. I struggle to keep my feet balanced. This sight isn't a good one for me.

"Who's that again?" Declan asks, his chest puffing out as he takes a deep breath.

He's exhausted, I would be too. He's done work straight for almost three hours and I definitely think it's time for a break, even though I've done the bare minimum.

"Alex, he's nice." I nod before walking to the chair I was occupying before. "You met him briefly before."

Declan's eyes don't leave mine and I chew the inside of my cheek as I grab my phone to continue looking for funky artwork. "Mmm, how do you two know each other?"

I clear my throat, lowering my phone slightly. "He moved to town like a year ago, moved into one of my best friends' apartment buildings and then he kind of joined the group. Safe to say I was infatuated with him."

My cheeks burn when I realise what I've said. God, I don't ever think.

"You guys date?"

A snort escapes my nose. "We went on one date and then he started going out with my best friend instead."

I dare glance up at Declan as he flashes me a sympathetic expression. "Ouch."

My shoulders raise and release quickly. The thought doesn't even upset me anymore, I barely knew Alex before I wanted him. "They're a perfect match," I admit. "They love each other and I'm happy for them. I mean at the time it hurt, it made me realise that I need to focus on myself, rather than desperately trying to find a relationship."

There I go again. No filter.

"What do you mean?" Declan steps closer, his voice gentle.

I suck down a breath. "I dunno..." I trail off, a heaviness in my chest making the words feel like lead. "I guess I've always been quite overwhelming when it comes to dates and potential love interests. I get too ahead of myself and then end up scaring them away, then wondering why they don't like me for me. It frightens me because slowly I'm coming to the conclusion that I might not find anyone who can handle that side of me. That's why over the last few months I've been trying to calm down."

"You shouldn't have to change who you are for anyone." Declan explains. "If people can't handle you, then that's on them. And they're not the one for you. There is no harm in being enthusiastic about a partner, it's better than not showing any emotion at all."

Our eyes lock on each other for a few seconds. His words spread warmth throughout my heart, quickly too. The corners of my lips flick upwards but it's a sad smile. "No one liked that, Luca. He was forward and straight up embarrassing, he didn't care about his own emotional stability. I'm trying to change that."

"I find it very hard to believe that no one liked that side of you."

"Why?" My eyes narrow slightly.

"Because surely if you were slightly overwhelming on these dates, doesn't that just make you passionate? I'd rather someone be forward than give me nothing at all."

My throat strips dry and I find myself blinking over and over. "I guess all the people I've dated, they're looking for something more laidback and relaxed. My mum always said I was a bit of a hopeless romantic, wanting the dates and the physical touch and small gestures. I see River and Alex and want what they have but then I come to the conclusion that I'm probably going to be single forever and maybe... I'm okay with that."

If I convince myself hard enough.

Declan hums and runs a hand through his damp hair. I'm still looking at him, realising that my heart is like an alarm in my chest. "What about you?" I blurt.

"What about me?"

My fingers twitch beside me. "You and dating or relationships."

Declan smiles and then shakes his head. "I haven't been in a relationship for almost seven years."

I feel my eyes widen before I register it happening. "Oh," I say quietly. "I have to admit, I kind of expected you to have a wife or something."

"A wife?" He repeats.

My face is on fire. Yet again.

"Or a partner, or–"

Declan's phone begins to ring and I thank the Lord for the distraction. Why am I digging myself a hole? I need to keep my mouth shut. I've already said too much.

Such an oversharer. Now Declan knows how lame I am and that no one wants me.

I've done this all to myself yet I am severely embarrassed. I need putting away for my crimes.

Declan digs his phone out of his back pocket and glances at the screen. He doesn't hesitate to answer it so I busy myself looking on Etsy and creating a folder of potential art.

"What's up, Nick?" He says.

I chew on my lip as I scroll through the page but my ears want to listen out for their conversation. Call me nosy. If it was private, he'd step out of the room.

"I'm at the cafe working all day. We have to get it done by the end of the week, I don't have time to reschedule this." He sighs heavily and begins to pace.

My eyes flick up and I watch him under my fair lashes.

"Nick," he pinches the bridge of his nose. "You fired that nanny literally two days ago, if you weren't so precious you'd have someone to look after her. I know you're busy but you also have a daughter, you have to make sacrifices and that's trusting a nanny to look after her."

I slump back in the chair, moving my phone to my lap. The sound on the other line becomes louder but I can't hear the muffled words.

"Alright, alright," his voice raises. "I'll come get her now. You owe me, you know that?"

Declan stops pacing and then exhales a grunt.

"Alright, bye."

He shakes his head as he cuts off the call and places his phone into his pocket. "Sorry," he huffs, turning towards me. "I've got to go get my niece because my brother has something important he needs to take care of. I'm sorry, I'll have to come in early tomorrow and finish this off."

I stand from the chair. "That's alright," I say.

Declan stares back at me, guilt filling his eyes. "I promise I'll get this all sorted out."

"I mean, it's no trouble. She could always come here, I can keep her entertained. I could always do with a second opinion on these art pieces," I suggest.

We really don't have time to delay the renovation by an afternoon. Not on the tight schedule we already made.

His eyebrows press together and then he rolls his lips together. "I can't ask you to do that, besides, she's as precious as her father. She'll probably hurt your feelings."

I flash him a smile. "Children are very humbling, I might need it."

Declan's eyes flick between mine. "I should take her home," he nods after thinking for a moment.

"It doesn't bother me at all," I say again. "As long as your brother would be okay with it."

He snorts sharply. "He wouldn't but beggars don't get to be choosers."

"Bring her here," I shrug and glance around. "It's not like there are wires hanging from every direction. You can work over there and I can keep her over here. Kill two birds with one stone, right?"

Declan offers me a smile. "Right. As long as you're sure?"

"Positive." I nod.

"Alright, I'll be back in a sec."

He leaves swifty and I attempt to tidy up as best as I can. A wave of nerves crash over me, I'm not entirely experienced with children, but how hard can it be? From what Declan has said before, she's a sassy little thing but that can make things entertaining.

After twenty minutes, the backdoor opens and I turn my head. "Go on through," I hear Declan's voice. "But be careful of the boxes and the counters, go over to the windows."

"Okay!" A tiny voice exclaims and my heart melts before I even see her.

That's when I see Elodie walk towards me with her short dark curly hair over her shoulders and the prettiest green eyes. She's in a denim dungaree set with a baby pink long sleeved top underneath. Her three foot something height makes Declan look like a giant.

"Els," Declan says from behind her. "This is Luca. Remember when daddy told you about how I'm redoing the cafe?"

"Yeah." Her hands press together as she grins up at me with a heartwarming smile.

He places a hand to her shoulder gently. "Well Luca and his mother own this cafe."

I step closer. "Hi, Elodie. It's nice to meet you."

"Hi," she raises her little shoulders and swings her body.

Declan chuckles. "Why have you gone all shy? You love being the star of the show."

She laughs hesitantly and the sound is adorable. "Do you want to help me choose some paintings I want to hang on the wall?" I suggest. "Let your uncle carry on with his word."

He squeezes her shoulder gently. "Go on, I'm sure he'll love your input."

Elodie walks towards me and I pull up a chair beside the one I was sitting on earlier. She climbs up and I pull out my phone and Declan nods at me, offering me a grateful smile before getting back to the counters.

"What's your favourite colour?" I ask her.

She stares back at me with those big green eyes and I wonder how anyone could ever say no to this cutie. She definitely has her dad and Declan wrapped around her little finger.

"Mmm," she says quietly. "Pink. And purple. And blue. And yellow!"

I laugh gently. "So all of them then?"

Elodie flashes me a cheesy grin. "All the colours of the rainbow. They're so pretty. I love them all together."

"Well," I say as I scroll through my phone and pick the first piece of art. "What do you think of this?"

She moves her head closer and then flashes the screen a grimace. "No!"

"No? I'm offended." I place a hand over my heart.

"It looks like a tree. I see them on the way to school."

A laugh passes my lips at her confused face. "That is because it is a tree."

Her nose wrinkles and she shakes her head. "Hearts, one with hearts! Because hearts are pretty. I love hearts. Maybe dinosaurs, all the dinosaurs."

"Dinosaurs?" My eyes widen with surprise.

The way she says dinosaurs has me melting, the slurred s's makes her a thousand times cuter.

"Yeah," she giggles innocently. "They are my favourite. I wish I could have one as a pet but daddy says I'm not allowed any animals."

I pout with her. "That's a shame but a dinosaur would be a lot of work. Do you know how big they are?"

She nods and grins. "Yeah," she widens her arms. "They're this big!"

"Wow," I lean back in my chair. "They're huge."

Elodie nods again, her hair swishing everywhere. "When I'm older, I'm going to have three dinosaurs," she says, flashing me three little fingers. "I'll name them Tilly, Ferb and Lollypop."

I guess Nick didn't have the heart to tell her they're extinct and she can only see them in the museum.

"Well, I can't wait to meet them."

I glance up at Declan who is working on the counter but he is bearing a bright smile, his eyes set forward and I know he heard every word of our conversation.

Children aren't so bad after all.

Read the rest of the book, bonus chapters and the first 33 chapters of the third book in the series over on Patreon and Ream!

www.reamstories.com/savannaroseauthor
www.patreon.com/dreammcatcher

Link is also in my bio!

Author's Note

Oh God. Luca pouring his heart out to Declan and then being told he shouldn't change who he is for anyone. UGHHHH. My heart❤️😭🥺

Also Elodie is the sweetest, we're definitely going to be seeing more of her🫢🥰

What did you guys think of this chapter?👉🏼

Don't forget to vote and comment! it makes my day

Love Savanna x

Insta: savannaroseauthor
Patreon: dreammcatcher
Ream: savannaroseauthor
Tik Tok: SavannaWritess

Seguir leyendo

Tambi茅n te gustar谩n

385K 24.3K 44
{Completed} *WATTYS 2018 LONGLIST* *Wattpad Featured Story - Oct 2017* You shouldn't date before you've found your mate. It's what all the teenagers...
1.5M 53.3K 26
|LGBT ROMANCE| When Marcus Berkley discovers that he has a secret admirer, he isn't quite too sure how to react. Surely, the affection held won't go...
165K 6.6K 44
Highest Rankings: #1 Interracial #2 LGBT/LGBTQ, Gay, and highschool #3 Wattpride #5 Boyxboy #17 ManxMan Mason Moore and Mark Tyler have been friends...
293K 9.3K 25
Vincent Hart is a cold hearted, handsome, ceo business man, making millions. Known for his good looks and brutally honest personality, he has women a...