A Circle of Flame- Sirius Bla...

Por jade_diamond11

Liza Prewett has enough to consider without involving the Marauders in her life. Starting her sixth year, she... Más

Playlist
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 16

516 14 1
Por jade_diamond11

"Alright there, Prewett?"

Liza glanced up to see Lucinda Talkalot observing her with a shrewd expression and she tugged her hair back into a tighter braid. "Yeah, thanks. Just got a lot on my mind."

Regulus had been in a foul mood ever since he had returned from the Death Eater meeting on Halloween with a limp evident in his right leg. Whatever he had endured, neither Myra nor Liza could pry the details, but he had been forced to sit out Quidditch practice. Today would be his first day back on the field in weeks, but the team couldn't afford to lose his skill.

"Best forget about it," Lucinda's tone was clipped, but not unkind. Liza got the feeling the captain liked having more females on the team. It hadn't been many years since Slytherin's ranks had only been available to the male population. "We need your head on the field."

Liza gave a short nod, trying not to think about the nerves that shook her fingertips as she passed her broomstick from one hand to another. The November weather sent goosebumps to her arms, pricking her skin with tiny drops of rain.

She watched as Lucinda mounted her broom, soaring into the storm to shake hands with James Potter. The game would not be easy. Gryffindor's offense had by far been playing the best in the castle. Liza pressed her lips in a solid line. Potter would never give up his quest for glory.

"Alright there, Prewett?"

This time, the question was barbed with a nasty tone and Liza gritted her teeth, attempting to diffuse the pressure that roiled through her chest. "Brilliant before you arrived, Rosier."

Evan smirked, although the gesture was more of a snarl. His white teeth glimmered in the light streaming over the field. "Just thought I would send my regards. Might be your last chance on a broom."

Curling her gloved fingers around the handle, Liza bared her teeth in the semblance of a grin. The ribbons at the end of her braid fluttered against her cheek. "I'm one of two female players on the Team. I don't feel too worried. Besides," she lifted her shoulders in a casual motion that would only irk the boy more. "I'm only a sub, after all."

As she hoped, Evan muttered a series of dark curses under his breath. The whole team knew that Oliver Connelly would be out for the year. He had crashed into the middle of the pitch after a late-night drinking run with his mates. Liza would have felt sympathy if he hadn't been such an utter prat.

"Let's just hope that you fall off your broom and end our suffering."

"And who would you choose to replace me?" Liza mounted her broom, her arms shaking beneath her jumper as Hooch raised her whistle to her lips.

Evan's response was lost as the whistle pierced the air and the team jetted into the sky. Liza leaned forward and focused her gaze on the other end of the pitch, where Sirius and James were amid a completely unnecessary series of passes.

Sirius blew a kiss as he spiraled on his broom, letting the Quaffle funnel into the arms of the waiting James. His partner dove, feigning as though he missed before rocketing into the air with the crimson ball securely in his hands. The Gryffindor stands erupted.

As James raised his arms above his head to absorb the cheers, Liza swooped down and punched the Quaffle from between his palms. The ball plummeted into the hands of Talkalot, who wasted no time spinning around to thrust it into the middle hoop.

"TEN POINTS FOR SLYTHERIN!"

A series of silver and emerald flags proudly shone in the waning rays of the sun. James gaped up at Liza, who barely had time to shoot him a grin before she shot to the other side of the pitch.

"Is that—"

Sirius's surprised shout carried after her, followed by a rush of air. Liza ducked, all too familiar with the sound. A bludger raced over the back of her neck and barely grazed the top of her flesh.

"Alright there, sis?"

Gideon waved his bat from where he was flying opposite Fabian, a nasty glimmer in his blue gaze.

Ignoring her brother's taunts, Liza leaned forward and urged her broom to tail Rosier. She had been slammed and beaten by Bludgers for years. Now, she barely felt any sort of fear. Magic was odd that way. When she could have her arm fixed with the flick of a wand, there was little to stop her. Perhaps there was both good and bad to be found in that freedom.

"Oi!" Liza motioned for Evan to pass her the Quaffle. Natalie Owens, Gryffindor's third chaser, was rapidly approaching with James on her tail.

Her Slytherin teammate resolutely ignored her, aiming wide for Rabastan Lestrange. The dark-haired boy missed and was nearly pummeled by another bludger from Fab.

Liza hissed through her teeth, diving after the Quaffle. She could only hope that Regulus found the Snitch quickly. At this rate, her steal from James would be her only play.

"Not so fast, Baby P."

She jerked up the handle of her broom, narrowly avoiding a collision with Sirius as he blew past her with a savage smirk. Evidently, he had been able to accelerate quicker. She tried not to eye his broomstick. An expensive purchase of the Potters, no doubt.

"Prewett, stay sharp."

Liza's stomach twisted at Lucinda's reprimand, but she forced a nod and leaned closer to her broom. Sirius was barely a meter ahead of her and she was closing in on the ends of his broomtail. It was illegal to grab the bristles, but if she could just jostle him a bit—

Another whoosh brushed the air past Liza's ear, and she pulled her broom the right, giving the Bludger a straight path at Sirius.

The Gryffindor yelped as the ball crashed into the end of his broom, sending a cascade of twigs to the ground as he spiraled. Liza shoved into his other side, forcing him to drop the Quaffle into Rabastan's hands.

The Slytherin pulled forward to score another goal, making the Slytherin stand bursts into catcalls. The Lestranges were well-regarded. Or as Myra put it, well-feared. Either way, Rabastan had garnered a following.

Liza hissed as James recovered the Quaffle, zooming through their beaters single-handedly to score a goal. This time, it was the Gryffindors to shake the stadium.

"Don't look so glum, princess."

She glanced back to see that Sirius had righted himself. However, several stray twigs were embedded in his locks. She resisted the urge to grin.

"I'm sure the snakes will give you another chance if you disappoint this time." His sarcasm was evident.

Eyeing Lucinda's block of Owen's shot, Liza bared her teeth. "Then I better make sure not to let them down." She pulled her broom to the right and put a suitable amount of distance between them. She couldn't risk any more distraction.

The following bit of the match passed in a blur of color and sweat. Liza's fingers were having trouble remaining on her handle as she passed the Quaffle to Evan. The Slytherin barely acknowledged her assist as he scored another goal.

"70-80, Slytherin!"

Suddenly, there was a loud crackle over the loudspeaker.

"REGULUS BLACK HAS SPOTTED THE SNITCH!"

Liza resisted the urge to watch her friend. Regulus had secretly been her main encouragement to try for the team. They had practiced at the Black Manor over the last couple summers. If the younger Black was anything, he was relentless and entirely unsympathetic. He would score them the victory.

Diving below James. Liza motioned to Rabastan, indicating for him to pressure Owens with Rosier. The female chaser was fresh and her nerves evident. If she dropped the Quaffle, they would score and ensure Slytherin the lead.

Lestrange stared blankly before he caught Lucinda's glare from the goalposts. With a grimace, Rabastan spurred his broom into the side of Owens, nearly toppling her.

As the Gryffindor flew forward, Evan swooped in from the other side so that she was sandwiched between the Slytherin chasers. Gid attempted to bat a Bludger in their direction, but the ball curved at an indirect angle. Her brother had been too worried about hitting his own teammate.

Liza grinned. Exhilaration flooded through her fingertips. Racing low to the pitch, she accelerated towards Gryffindor's end. The grass blurred into an emerald carpet and she lost focus of everything but the posts in front of her.

There was a shout as Evan was able to gain control of the Quaffle.

She caught the Slytherin's eye, sure he would waste the shot just to spite her. To her surprise, Evan smirked and flung the Quaffle in a tight spiral.

Liza reached out to catch the sphere. The crimson ball was inches from her fingertips.

SLAM.

She let out a cry of agony as a Bludger crushed the left side of her ribcage. Fumbling forward, she saw the Quaffle begin to plummet to the ground as it loosened from her grasp.

Despite the pain, Liza knew she couldn't live with herself if she missed the shot. Urging her broom into a spiral, Liza soared straight towards the ground, gaining distance on her target with each breath.

Her gaze blackened with pain. She could distantly hear the crowd gasp as she twisted to hang from her broomstick by her knees. Blood rushed to her brain in a painful throb. After a terrifying moment, she secured the Quaffle with the edges of her fingers.

With an excruciating jerk, she pulled her broom level with the field and shot her body towards the left hoop. She would only have one chance.

Black dots were already hovering at the corner of her vision. With a sudden jerk, Liza feinted left and thrust her wrist in the direction of the middle hoop.

For a moment, all was still. There was nothing outside of the autumn sun, a glistening ball, and the horrid pain in her side.

Then, her house burst into cheers. Liza grinned, allowing herself to fade into blackness.

---

It was awfully bright in her dormitory. She and Myra had always agreed not to pull the curtains back until ten minutes before breakfast. Even then, the light from the Black Lake was muted.

Liza blinked again as a silver vial drifted into her view. The corridor began to take shape, revealing several rows of neatly pressed beds.

"Well, do drink up Miss Prewett." Pomfrey's voice was as harried as usual. "I haven't all day just to see you."

Propping herself on her right elbow, Liza winced as her ribs smarted. She was sure she had broken a few. "What is it?"

"Lung-strengthening solution." Pomfrey sent her an irritated glare. "Two of your ribs punctured your left lung. You're lucky Potter got there in time."

Liza promptly spat potion all over her bedsheets. Grimacing, she wiped the edge of her lip with her thumb. If she didn't ingest the entirety of the brew, it would have limited effects. "Did you say—"

"Yes, James Potter." Pomfrey rolled her eyes in a rather McGonagall-like fashion. Liza swore they were related. "The consequences of house rivalry! If only there were none. I would have far less—" the rest of her sentence trailed off as she bumbled away.

Rubbing the sour taste from her tongue, Liza tried not to think about the debt she owed to the ruddy Gryffindor. She craned her neck, staring out the window in hopes of a distraction.

The Whomping Willow gave a massive shudder from its hill in the distance, sending the last of its leaves careening from its branches. The ground beneath the tree was bathed in shades of crimson and gold.

"Rare breed." An easily recognizable sneer stirred Liza from her thoughts.

She glanced over to see Severus Snape tucked beneath a comforter, his skin a sickly green. The pallor made his eyes sink in more than usual.

"The Whomping Willow." There was a glint to the boy's gaze that set her on edge as he continued. "Planted the same year the Marauders started Hogwarts. Fascinating."

Although he had ended the sentence drolly, Liza understood that he awaited her response. She grimaced as her side throbbed once more before turning away from Snape. "Bloody hell, I don't care about a tree."

"That's unfortunate."

Liza lay still for several moments before her curiosity got the best of her. She turned back to Snape with a raised brow. "Why is that unfortunate?"

A smug smirk twitched the edge of Severus's lip. He evidently realized her interest. "You do seem rather obsessed with the elder Black's whereabouts. I just find the coincidence.." he paused, seeming to savor Liza's confusion. "Odd, don't you?"

"And why would Siri—Black be interested in a tree?" Liza shook her head, closing her eyes as sleep tugged at the edges of her vision.

The last thing she saw before darkness consumed her was Snape's eyes. Malice glittered in their depths.

"Why don't you tell me."

Liza started awake, her heart pounding in her chest. This time, Pomfrey was not ready to greet her. It was someone far worse.

"'Ello, Prewett." James looked far too smug, the remnants of a chocolate frog smeared on his upper lip. "Afraid I got a bit bored of your snoring, hope you don't mind if I helped myself."

From his left, Remus offered a sympathetic grimace. The scars on his face had faded slightly in the half-light.

Liza rolled her eyes at the stack of ripped parchment and torn ribbon at her feet. "I have nothing left, thanks." Turning to her right, she tried to suppress the clench in her stomach. Sirius was staring out the window above her head, his gaze moody, while Peter crunched happily on a chocolate wand.

"Er, what are you all doing here?" Liza tried to soften the accusation in her tone. However, she was well aware of how horrid she must appear. Reaching up a hand, she attempted to flatten her hair. The movement made her ribs scream once more.

"One," James propped his feet up on her bed happily, "I came for a marvelous display of gratitude worthy of a savior such as myself."

Remus's eyes rolled to the ceiling.

Shoving a few crumbs from her sheets, Liza pulled her lips into some resemblance of a grin. "O, Chosen One, how I thank thee."

Remus snorted. James looked slightly affronted. "We'll work on that." The playful light in his gaze dimmed slightly. "Two, we're here to speak of revenge plots."

"Reven—" Liza caught sight of the glance James and Sirius exchanged. Her face paled. "No!" She shook her head resolutely, pulling at the aching muscles at the back of her neck. Her lungs constricted with the effort. "You'll just make things worse."

"Rosier nearly got you killed!" Sirius snapped and his cheeks flushed light pink. He finally pulled his gaze from whatever had captured his interest outside the window. Anger crackled from his fingertips as he knotted a piece of ribbon. "Complete son of a—"

Remus cleared his throat, distracting the others as Sirius let out a stream of curses that would have grounded Liza for a month. Had she been under Molly's roof, that is. "I think we should respect Liza's wishes."

She blew out a sigh of relief. "Thank you—"

"Except for this time." Remus didn't even spare her an apologetic glance. "Sorry, Liza. But he's going to get what's coming for him."

"It's nothing I haven't dealt with before!" Liza sank into her pillow, closing her eyes as her headache appeared in full force. She didn't want to imagine what Evan would make of the Marauders coming to her defense. "Honestly, you've seen them in the corridors. It's best to keep quiet."

There was a slight pause.

"I thought the Slytherins were loyal to their own house at least." Sirius's tone was hushed.

A bitter laugh rose from Liza's throat, and she coughed quickly, hoping to disguise it. The Marauders made her far too uncomfortable. They were always trying to push boundaries she didn't want to cross. "You've seen your family, Black." She shook her head. "Age them down a bit and you've got yourself the Slytherin common room."

James shook his head, seeming unable to picture the scene. There was a sense of tension when he looked at Sirius, as if they were recalling some memory that was better off forgotten.

"Why doesn't Dumbledore—"

"Dumbledore turns his head when he doesn't want to be bothered." The Marauders flinched as Myra stepped from behind the doorway, her face freshly scrubbed. The apples of her cheeks glistened in the torchlight. "And if there's one rule among the purebloods, it's to take pain with a closed mouth." Her gaze flickered over to Sirius. "Not that you were ever good at that."

Sirius scowled, a gesture Myra pointedly ignored as she took a seat beside Liza. "You missed a Charms exam. Flitwick said he'd give you an extra day when you came back."

Cringing, Liza tried not to think of the assignment she'd skived in favor of the Quidditch match. "Right. I need to start on that."

"Are you really just moving on from this?" James stared at the girls with a dumbfounded expression. A smear of chocolate still ran down the side of his lip.

Myra observed him closely, her scrutiny causing the Gryffindor's gaze to falter. Settling back into her mattress, Liza finally allowed herself to relax. Her friend was sure to force some sense into the Gryffindors.

"Rosier has a chain around his neck. Old family heirloom." She waved her wand, vanishing the last crumbs of sweets upon Liza's bed. "I think he needs to make sure he doesn't lose it." She grinned slowly, exposing a set of white teeth. "Ever."

Liza's eyes snapped open.

Sirius and James turned, observing each other with Cheshire grins. The ideas were already clearly blossoming in their heads. Somehow, their silence was more alarming than their earlier outbursts. 

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

26.6K 868 27
"He hates her." "No he doesn't, not really. She just makes him feel things that he's claimed don't exist." ・゚゚・。。・゚゚・・゚゚・。 When Slughorn puts Callist...
5.3K 108 32
Y/N Potter is James Potter's little sister. And when she unexpectedly gets sorted into a Slytherin, their relationship takes a turn for the worse. As...
245K 6.1K 39
Y/N Pettigrew is abused by her parents, and all she wants is to be friends with her brother's friends. However, the Marauders seem a little too self...
229K 10.4K 121
Regulus Black, the youngest of the two Black brothers, raised to believe in blood-supremacy and follow their parents without question. When Sirius Bl...