Oh, Shift! (Book III A Not So...

由 SheHopes

Is a hexing witch who can't use her powers, really a witch? Rowena Flores has issues... and we're not just ta... 更多

COMING NOVEMBER 13th!
Chapter 1: Does Your Grandma Know You're a Pervert?
Chapter 2: Jesus Speaks to Me
Chapter 3: I'm Not Dead, I'm Sleeping!
Chapter 4: Christmas Cabbage
Chapter 5: Kisses in the Rain
Chapter 6: Selig's Curse
Chapter 8: Bloodsuckers
Chapter 9: Feed Me
Chaper 10: Hector's Warning
Chapter 11: Suspects and Friends
Chapter 12: Collateral Damage
Chapter 13: Little Mikey's Rival
Chapter 14: Slasher and Smasher
Chapter 15: Family Love
Chapter 16: Josie's Boys
Chapter 17: Hands Up!
Chapter 18: Suspects II
Chapter 19: Slammer Time
Chapter 20: Antonio
Chapter 21: The Alpha's Plans
Chapter 22: Rowena's Plans
Chapter 23: Operation Poke a Bear

Chapter 7: Out of Body Times

1.5K 158 24
由 SheHopes

Rowena believed in ghosts. And karma. And the chupacabra. So, it shouldn't have been a surprise to find herself floating above her limp body--but it was. She thought about the Jello she'd eaten at the nursing home. Did someone slip some drugs in it and this was some sort of drug-induced fantasy?

It wouldn't have been the first time.

Below her, Abby cried beside her bed, clutching her hands. Winona and Bruce stood to the side, their faces etched in worry. Rowena's cat, Kitty, sat next to Rowena on the bed, digging her claws in the comforter.

Selig's hands were in his hair as he paced behind Abby, muttering something about him "not being worth the sacrifice."

A cloak of unease weighed her down as she recalled being in the car with Selig. His sadness bothered her in a way she couldn't disregard. Up until Cross coming into her life, she'd never known acceptance. Loneliness was her only companion. She understood Selig's frustration and sadness so well it felt like her own-- his bitterness so potent she could still taste it.

He'd been cursed and she wanted to fix it. She knew it would sacrifice a bit of her soul, but she hadn't known it would lead to this.

The door bounced against the wall as Cross barged in, his eyes bleak with pain. Liam and Matt stood behind him.

Rowena grimaced and placed a hand to her chest. She hadn't thought about Cross when she helped his brother.

"Baby," Cross' voice cracked as his knees buckled and he took Abby's place. He kissed her hands and sucked in a shaky breath of air. "What were you thinking?"

"I'm sorry, Cross," Selig said softly. "I told her not to but--"

A growl filled the air and Cross leaped toward his brother shoving him against the wall. Selig bared his neck as his brother, his alpha, snarled at him.

"This is your fault," Cross hissed, fur lining his forearms.

Winona and Bruce rushed forward, begging him to let Selig go.

Selig didn't argue with his brother. Instead he nodded. "I'm sorry, Cross."

"Sorry won't bring her back!" Cross yelled.

"Let him go, Cross!" Abby cried. "Ro would have your ass in a sling if she knew you hurt Selig after she hexed him to help him!"

"Ass in a sling?" Rowena wondered aloud. "Sounds interesting."

"Rowena must've really wanted to help Selig to make such a sacrifice," Matt said. "She's going to be a fine Luna one day."

"Right," Liam agreed. "We just need to figure out how to save her."

"And we will," Abby said, her voice growing stronger. She wiped the tears from her face. "Attacking Selig isn't going to help. We need to focus on solutions."

"Your sister is right," Bruce interjected. "Rowena isn't gone yet, Cross. Maybe we can find someone to save her."

Cross released his brother and took a step back. He leaned forward, his hands on his knees as he panted heavily. "There's no one." His looked up to his parents. "What if we can't save her?"

Bruce placed a hand on his son's shoulder. "You need to think positive, son. Rowena didn't seem like the type to wallow in self pity."

Winona snorted. "Truer words were never spoken. Your future mate tried to attack me, remember? That girl has more lives than a pack of cats."

Abby's eyes widened. "You're admitting she's going to be Cross' mate?"

Winona frowned as she turned her head away from her daughter's flabbergasted face. Rowena noticed Winona's cheeks were pink.

Bruce placed an arm around his wife. "Your mother secretly likes Rowena."

Winona made a huffing sound. "The girl has a lot to learn but once she eventually wakes up from this nap, I'll be sure to put her through her paces." She turned to Cross. "You're the Howler alpha, Cross. I know you're in pain right now but you, above everyone else, should know how strong Rowena is. Isn't that why you fell in love with her?"

Cross exhaled slowly and nodded.

"Being alpha means you have to make difficult decisions," Bruce reminded him. "You said there's no one who can help Rowena, but that's not true."

Cross' voice was strained. "Dad--"

"How much do you love her?" Bruce asked.

"Sh-she's my soulmate," Cross answered as he sat on the bed and gathered Rowena's body in his arms.

"This is so bizarre," Rowena said. "They couldn't see or hear her as she floated around the room. She paused near Cross and placed her palm on his neck. He stiffened and turned his head.

Rowena held herself still. Could he sense her presence?

After a few moments, he turned back to Rowena's body, kissing her left wrist.

Rowena floated to Selig, frowning at his devastated expression.

"I wasn't worth it," Selig muttered.

Rowena rolled her eyes before trying to kick him. He grunted and looked down before making a confused expression.

Did he feel her kick? She tried it again. This time, he gasped before straightening his posture. "You guys..."

Abby turned to Selig. "What is it?"

"I think Rowena is here," Selig answered.

Cross turned to his brother with a scowl. "Are you making some kind of joke?"

Selig sighed. "I'm serious! Someone just kicked me twice!"

"What makes you think it's Rowena?" Abby asked.

"Who else would have the nerve to kick me?" Selig snapped.

Liam and Matt looked around the room.

"Is that possible?" Winona asked her husband.

Bruce frowned. "She's unconscious and unresponsive. The pack doctor said she was in a coma-like state. I've found anything is possible with your son's future mate."

"Rowena, if you're in the room, can you show us a sign?" Abby asked.

"Whoa," Rowena gasped. "This is like that reincarnation book Gina made us read for book club."

She floated to the light switch and gave a wicked smile before turning the switch up and down. The lights flickered in the room and Cross' face contorted into disbelief before he placed his head against her stomach, his shoulders bouncing up and down.

"Cross, she's here!" Abby exclaimed.

"Baby, why did you do this?" Cross asked. "Why did you leave me?"

Rowena sighed. How could she explain to Cross? She wanted to help Selig but didn't realize this would happen.

"She probably thought it was the right thing to do," Liam answered.

Rowena flipped the switch once in agreement.

"Cross," Bruce's voice cut through the room. "You know what you need to do."

Cross sighed before cursing under his breath. He turned to his beta and ordered, "Liam, I need you to call Banks."

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

268K 22.4K 29
Rowena Flores has problems...and we're not just talking about her anger management issues. After cursing her cheating ex-boyfriend, this home goods c...
418 29 9
Maria and Arion lived a happy life, but all that changed when an angry witch cast a spell ruining their happiness. Arion is a vampire, Maria is a dem...
1K 73 25
A demon set her house on fire... with Claire still inside. Inferno monsters aren't the worst of it. Her archaeologist father is missing, and after th...
4.3K 107 26
Nyla is stuck in a mansion with her sisters, her cousins, aunts, uncles, mom, and grandparents. They've been stuck here for years, and it's all they'...