Oh, Shift! (Book III A Not So...

By SheHopes

Is a hexing witch who can't use her powers, really a witch? Rowena Flores has issues... and we're not just ta... More

COMING NOVEMBER 13th!
Chapter 1: Does Your Grandma Know You're a Pervert?
Chapter 2: Jesus Speaks to Me
Chapter 3: I'm Not Dead, I'm Sleeping!
Chapter 4: Christmas Cabbage
Chapter 5: Kisses in the Rain
Chapter 7: Out of Body Times
Chapter 8: Bloodsuckers
Chapter 9: Feed Me
Chaper 10: Hector's Warning
Chapter 11: Suspects and Friends
Chapter 12: Collateral Damage
Chapter 13: Little Mikey's Rival
Chapter 14: Slasher and Smasher
Chapter 15: Family Love
Chapter 16: Josie's Boys
Chapter 17: Hands Up!
Chapter 18: Suspects II
Chapter 19: Slammer Time
Chapter 20: Antonio
Chapter 21: The Alpha's Plans
Chapter 22: Rowena's Plans
Chapter 23: Operation Poke a Bear

Chapter 6: Selig's Curse

1.4K 159 26
By SheHopes

Who knew people could fight over a game of pinochle?

Rowena sat with the deadly rose trio in the Happy Trails Nursing home's cafeteria. Rosa, her abuela, appeared distracted as she lost to the other residents time after time.

"Rosa, what's going on with you?" Rosita asked. "You never lose at pinochle."

Rosa shrugged.

"Is it because you're the prime suspect in Jasmine's death?" Rose asked. She made a scoffing sound. "You have nothing to worry about. They don't throw old ladies in the slammer."

Rowena rolled her eyes. "That's not true, Rose."

The older woman scowled. "Back in my day, ladies didn't associate with hookers during the day."

Rowena shook her head. "I already told you, Rose. I'm not a hooker."

She looked at her abuela, who didn't seem to be paying attention. "Abuela, are you really worried you'll be framed for Jasmine's death? I told you I have an attorney who is going to help you. He's never lost a case."

Rosa stared at the deck of cards in her hands.

"Besides, Donnie is a horrible homicide detective. I pretty much had to solve his last case." Rowena frowned. "Okay, technically that isn't true but it's not like he solved it either."

Rosa still didn't respond.

"We've never seen her like this," Rosita mumbled. Her eyes widened and she smiled at Rowena. "Maybe you could figure out who really killed Jasmine?"

"Me?" Rowena pointed to herself. She thought of the conversation she had with Cross the day prior. A heavy feeling filled her heart. "Okay, I can do that. I need the distraction."

Rose tossed her hand of cards on the table. "Rosa, why are you so sad? You hated Jasmine."

Rosa's shoulders fell. "I said such horrible things to her that day and then someone killed her."

"Cheer up, Abuela. Based on what you ladies told me, you probably weren't the only one who said horrible things to her the day she died," Rowena said, patting her grandmother's shoulder.

"If you can get the hooker to find the real murderer, it'll be your way of apologizing to Jasmine," Rose said.

"I'm not a hooker, Rose."

"Dont worry, I'm not the PoPo." Rose grinned, holding her bony hands up in front of her.

Rosa turned her head to stare at Rowena.

"What?" Rowena asked, fidgeting under her grandmother's eyes.

"Qué pasó? What happened?"

Rowena looked away.

Rosa pressed the issue. "Look at me, Rowena. Something happened. Rose called you a hooker. Normally, you would've hurt someone for that."

Rowena shrugged. "Maybe my anger management classes are finally kicking in."

Rosa's brows rose. "Dame tu mano. Give me your hand."

Rowena sighed but begrudgingly held her shaking hand out. Would her abuela tell her she no longer had a soulmate?

Rosa gripped her hand, turning her palm one way and another.

"What is it?" Rowena asked. "D-did my heart line change?"

Rosa's eyes met hers. "No, it's still the same. I told you that man is your soulmate."

The tense feeling holding Rowena captive, loosened.

"Your life line has changed," Rosa whispered. She exhaled slowly and shook her head.

"W-what do you mean?"

"It's lighter and shorter. Aye, Rowena...how could this happen?" Rosa sighed.

Rowena thought of Poppy's warnings. Maybe her soul really had been changed by her cursing people.

Rowena curled her palm into a fist. "It's probably just the lighting in here, Abuela."

Rowena tried to smile but it must not have appeared genuine because Rosita grimaced and asked, "What's with that look? Did you just fart?"

"No one cares around here," Rose admitted. "We can't control it."

Rosita nodded. "It's only embarrassing when you shart."

Rosa still stared at her granddaughter. "Rowena--"

"What's a shart?" Rowena asked.

Rose cackled. "You don't know? It's when you fart so hard you also take a shi--"

"Rowena, there you are!" Selig called out, striding forward. "Cross has been calling you. He said you didn't pick up."

Rowena didn't meet his eyes. "I'm here volunteering. I can't use my phone."

Selig's head tilted to one side. "Is that so?"

Rowena nodded.

"Hmmm," the lawyer made a thoughtful sound before nodding. "In any event, I'm your ride home today. Cross had a meeting he couldn't get out of."

"Thanks, Selig." She turned to the deadly roses who stared at the handsome Howler brother before turning to her grandmother. "This is the lawyer I was telling you about."

"You look like you make love like an animal," Rose said with a creepy smile.

Selig winked. "I do. Care to try me out?"

The older woman's eyes lit up.

Rowena slapped his shoulder. "Selig, stop being a pervert. She's like a thousand years old. You'd probably kill her!"

"You be quiet, hussy!" Rose growled.

Selig chuckled. "Just admit it, Rowena. You want me for yourself."

"Rowena--" Rosa tried again.

"I'm fine, Abuela," Rowena insisted. "As long as my heart line is okay, I'm fine. Please, don't worry."

Selig's brows furrowed together. "What are you talking about?"

"Nothing. Let's go, Selig."

Once they were in his car, Selig turned to her. "You can tell me anything, you know. I'm your lawyer. It has to stay confidential."

She gave him a smile. "Thanks but it's my problem to deal with."

He stared at her for a beat before nodding once. "Right."

She noticed a flash of hurt in his eyes and frowned. "It's nothing personal, Selig."

"No, I get it. I'm the pervert you can't trust. All I do is hit on women." He shuddered. "I just hit on a senior citizen. I can't stop myself."

"You're cursed, aren't you?" Rowena asked.

"The fairy princess and I used to date," Selig admitted. "She is the jealous type. I know I'm generally attractive. Women hit on me. She didn't like that."

"So she used magic to make you hit on anything that moves? Why would a girlfriend do that? If anything, it would make me insecure in our relationship."

Selig let out a bitter laugh. "She didn't use her magic on me until after we broke up."

"I see," Rowena whispered.

"No matter what I do, I haven't been able to remove her curse." Selig's hands tightened on the steering wheel. "I used to be known for being smart, fair, someone reliable. Now, I'm the lawyer who cracks sex jokes and hits on anyone. It's ruined my reputation. Even if I meet someone I genuinely am interested in, she'd never stay with me."

Rowena nodded. "I can see that."

Selig shrugged and shared a sad smile. "It's okay. It's not your problem."

He pressed the button to turn on the car when Rowena whispered. "Maybe there is something I can do for you."

His eyes widened. "No, Rowena!"

"It'll be the last hex I make and then I'll go cold turkey, I promise."

"Absolutely not! It would gut me if something happened to you. You're my brother's future mate!"

Rowena shook her head. "No, I'm not. My soul's already damaged. It's too late for me to become a shifter."

"He's looking for someone to fix your soul, Rowena. Don't you dare do what I think you're thinking of."

Rowena shook her head. "I want to finally use a hex for good, Selig. You'll be normal again."

"I said no!"

"I hex you to no longer have a curse or be able to be cursed, Selig," Rowena whispered with feeling.

"Rowena!" His voice cracked with emotion as he shut his eyes and shivered.

Rowena watched as he opened his eyes and took a shuddering breath. "It's-- it's gone. The curse is gone!"

A corner of Rowena's mouth lifted. "Good."

Then she jolted forward in pain.

"Rowena?"

She heard Selig calling out her name, his voice thick with fear. She wanted to answer him-- to tell him she was fine. She couldn't. The pain was too strong and it didn't take long for her to give into the darkness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

594 17 16
Don't change. Don't fight. Don't die. This message has been beaten into Mira since childhood. There are legends abound with stories of werewolves w...
95K 9K 24
(Book II in the NSCM series) Rowena Flores has troubles... and we're not just talking about her lackluster love life. Just when her life is finally g...
1.9M 73.3K 84
Over one hundred years ago, the supernatural came out of hiding. A Great War ensued, causing the human race to fall to the bottom of the food chain a...
1.8K 117 23
''Why does Mariah keep say that I'm a werewolf? I'm not a werewolf'' I ask Mariah and Johnathan look at each other before looking back at me ''Yes yo...