A Memorable Tale

By InvisibleLantern

Neville Longbottom x Female Reader ••• The truth is a twisted thing, but at the end of the day, there is only... More

0 | Sherlock Holmes
1 | The Boy Who Had It Rough
2 | Meeting Expectations
3 | Solve???
4 | The Marauder's Map
5 | A Haywire Broom
6 | Christmas (Investigation) Break
7 | Stupid Heroes
8 | Heroism
9 | Hey Brother
10 | Weirdos Are Interesting
11 | Beware
12 | Muggle-borns
13 | Basilisk
14 | A Second Family
15 | Enemies of the Heir
16 | Out of Bed Again
17 | 50 Points for the Nonsense Adventures
19 | Being a Wing-Woman Sucks
20 | Care of Magical Creatures
21 | Are Werewolves Still People?
22 | Werewolf Prejudice
23 | Werewolves Don't Like Smalltalk
24 | Page 394
25 | Peter Pettigrew
26 | Potions and a Good Night's Sleep
27 | Glorified Cleaning Supplies
28 | A 12 Year Old Rat
29 | The Marauders
30 | A Long Remembered Prank
31 | Snape Hasn't Moved On
32 | We Need More Time
33 | Another Case Cracked
34 | They Fired Our First Good Defence Against the Dark Arts Teacher
35 | Tricking Muggles is Easy
36 | The World Cup
37 | My Best Friend's Dad is a Death Eater
38 | Eternal Glory and Likely Death
39 | Unforgivable Until it's a Spider
40 | He's Just a Boy
41 | Beauxbatons and Durmstrang
42 | Thestrals
43 | Big Teeth and Ferrets
44 | Dragons Are Not Meant for Fighting
45 | Dancing
46 | That Time I was (Almost) Everyone's Wingwoman
47 | If He Wanted to He Would
48 | The Yule Ball
49 | We Do Not Sing Above the Ground
50 | Merpeople Don't Sing Lullabies
51 | My Dad Had Friends
52 | The Wrong Griffin
53 | Two Aurors and a Boy with Straw Hair
54 | My Father's Brain
55 | Turning Cogs
56 | Drowning
57 | Just Talking
58 | The Past
59 | Prefect
60 | Normal
61 | Noticing
62 | Sun and Moon
63 | Army
64 | The D.A.
65 | Rebound
66 | Christmas
67 | Solve
68 | Centaurs
69 | SNEAK
70 | Dreams
71 | Healing
72 | O.W.L.s
73 | Fight
74 | The Department of Mysteries

18 | Pets, Creepy and All

21 1 0
By InvisibleLantern

As school approached, I had to go to Diagon Alley for my textbooks and ultimately decided that I could do it alone.

There, I ran into Hermione and Ron, who were struggling with their Care of Magical Creatures textbook.

I stroked the spine of Hermione's Care of Magical Creatures textbook and handed it back to her, a sigh of relief escaping her. "Thank goodness. I thought I would have to fight it for the rest of the way."

"Every animal has a part of them that they like being pet," I said fondly as I patted Dipper's head.

Ron nodded, stroking his rat's back. "Scabber's likes it when I pet his back."

"An odd thing, that is." I forced a smile, trying not to seem insensitive to Ron. He always insisted that the rat had been in his family for years, but since a rat really only lived for three years or so, I worried that he just kept holding a new rat from the sewers every so often.

I was also never very fond of rats.

"So you came here by yourself?" Hermione asked.

"Yep. Cedric's been practicing like crazy since he's this year's Quidditch captain for Hufflepuff and he's the Hufflepuff prefect!" I grinned proudly. "My dad's at work, and Draco's being forced to train so he doesn't make a fool of himself at another Quidditch game."

My hoodie's hood was grabbed and put over my head. I turned, my face brightening. "Fred! George!"

"Don't tell me you're moping over Malfoy not hanging out with you," Fred drawled, slinging his arm around my shoulder.

"Oh, never."

"Good." George took my hood off my head. "Don't mope for someone like that."

Percy came over with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley trailing behind him, his back abnormally straight and his chest sticking out, clearly displaying a badge. His Head Boy badge.

I smiled. "Percy, you got Head Boy?"

He gave you an elegant nod. "Indeed. It's splendid to see you, Y/N." He held out his hand and I hesitantly took it, wondering where the pompous accent came from.

"Yes, splendid to see you," George held out his hand as well, mocking Percy's accent.

"Simply splendid," Fred mirrored.

I snickered and took each of their hands. "Absolutely spiffing."

Percy rolled his eyes and strode over to a nearby shop, maintaining his unnatural posture.

Compared to his other brothers (the ones I've met, anyway), Percy was far more uptight, as if someone had pulled his trousers up far too high.

I get that someone in that family had to be, but it was still a bit off-putting.

There was also Charlie Weasley. I had read endless articles and books about him and what he does. He takes care of dragons! If I had a job like that, I would never want to leave it.

"Wanna head to Sugarplum's Sweet Shop?" offered Fred.

My gaze flickered to Mrs. Weasley, who was giving an ill-hidden look of suspicion. "Sure."

The twins gave each other a look of triumph and dragged me to the nearby sweet shop.

I followed them in the sweet shop and glanced at a collection of sweets that Cedric said he liked. "So what did you come in here for?" I asked, placing a bag of the sweets on the counter.

"Lee Jordan and us have created this elaborate plan," George said, placing a single sickle on the counter similarly to the blokes that offer to pay for a girl's drink in a bar - not that the sickle was enough to pay for it.

I slid the sickle off the counter and gave it back to him, having half a mind to assume that it was the only money he had on him. "I do hope this isn't dangerous, you two." I placed three sickles on the counter as the two grinned to me.

My brow raised and they both mirrored the way they held up their hands. "We're not committing a crime!"

"Not technically."

I shook my head, failing to hide a grin. "So what'd you tell me for?"

"Well, you're pretty smart. I was thinking you could procure some remedies," George answered.

I gave him a dumbfounded stare. "You said it wasn't dangerous!"

"No one's going to die, if that's what you meant!"

"I meant no one's going to get hurt." I shook my head again. "So, remedies for what, exactly?"

"You know... bruises, large tongues, some transfiguring stuff-"

I turned to the lady at the counter, about to thank her for the sweets, then paused when I noticed the newspaper she was reading.

The date was from a bit ago, since it also mentioned the Weasleys going to Egypt, but I didn't really read the other headlines.

Sirius Black at Large.

"-some love potion reversal, something to collect swamps- Are you listening?"

"Yeah, you needed something to collect love potions and reverse swamps, yeah?" I slid another sickle across the counter and took a newspaper off the rack perched on the wall. They gathered around me, curious to see what I found so interesting.

Sirius Black, possibly the most infamous prisoner ever to be held in Azkaban fortress, is still eluding capture, the Ministry of Magic confirmed today.

"We are doing all we can to recapture Black," said the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, this morning, "and we beg the magical community to remain calm."

Fudge has been criticized by some members of the International Confederation of Wizards for informing the Muggle Prime Minister of the crisis.

"Well, really, I had to, don't you know," said an irritable Fudge. "Black is mad. He's a danger to anyone who crosses him, magic or Muggle. I have the Prime Minister's assurance that he will not breathe a word of Black's true identity to anyone. And let's face it — who'd believe him if he did?"

While Muggles have been told that Black is carrying a gun (a kind of metal wand that Muggles use to kill each other), the magical community lives in fear of a massacre like that of twelve years ago, when Black murdered thirteen people with a single curse.

"What's a gun?" Fred asked.

"It's a bit like a wand, but it shoots bullets and isn't magic." I made an odd shape with my hand, with my index and middle finger held up, and aimed it at the wall. "It's shaped a bit like that. It's not for a prank, though. It can kill someone."

The real thing can, anyway.

A pensive expression appeared on both their faces and I worried that they would find some way to turn the weapon into an instrument of chaos.

I didn't know much about Sirius Black, other than his role in killing Harry's parents and the massacre of Muggles, both events occurring years before.

I tilted my head, staring at the moving photo of him screaming at the camera. His gaze appeared absent, in a world where there was actually something to scream at.

My attention reverted back to the twins, who patiently waited for me to leave my headspace. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

"Remedies. Could you help us out?"

I shrugged. "Probably."

"Brilliant!"

I followed them out and noticed Harry with Ron and Hermione. "Hey Harry," I greeted.

"Hey Y/N," he greeted in return. His green eyes darted around me and I said, "Draco's not here. He's in trouble for 'embarrassing the Malfoy name' at last year's Quidditch match."

Ron stifled a giggle.

"What's that?" Harry asked, pointing at the newspaper in my right hand.

"The Daily Prophet?"

"Yeah, I know that, it's just..."

I opened it, showing the photo of Sirius Black to him. "This?"

"Yeah, he..." I handed him the newspaper and he stared at it, almost longingly. "I saw someone else reading this headline."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Why are you saying sorry?" Harry gave back the newspaper, seeming to be genuinely nonplussed.

"It's just that Sirius Black-"

"Finished shopping?" Mrs. Weasley came over with a kind smile, although it didn't hide the clear secret she was trying to keep in her eyes.

I cleared my throat. "I finished shopping ages ago." I put the newspaper in my bag.

After flashing a smile to the family, I left.

•••

"Dad!" I called inside when I returned.

"In the library!"

I walked up one of the winding stairs that led upstairs and turned right, counting the multiple dark green doors until I reached the only one with a round handle.

"Hello Adventurer," he said, his eyes only leaving his book for a moment before returning to the ink covered pages.

I held out my hand and his owl, Borealis, eagerly perched on my forearm, likely bored out of his mind. This was probably the first time I father spoke in hours, as he returned to complete silence.

"Come on," I said to the barn owl. "Let's not bother dad while he reads."

I walked out of the room and down the stairs again towards the owls' play area, which resided within a room built from windows instead of walls.

He flew off my hand and onto one of the perches beside Dipper, who was my owl. I waved my hand and summoned Dipper over. "I need you to send these to Cedric," I said carefully while tying the bag of sweets to his talon.

He chirped and flew out the open window.

"Do you think I needed to emphasize that he shouldn't eat it?" I asked Borealis, who chirped in response. "Yeah, he'll be fine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

215K 6.1K 51
summer fling to an actual love *:・゚✧*:・゚ [ social media au ] harry potter x fem!oc © krydicaprio , 2022
114K 3.1K 119
"𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐢𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐬𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬. 𝐖𝐞'𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐡 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐚�...
729K 21.3K 93
❝ IT'S YOU, DRACO IT'S ALWAYS BEEN YOU❞ ↳ [HOGWARTS - GOLDEN TRIO] [DRACO MALFOY / SNAPE'S DAUGHTER] (s. - sep 2014) (f. - ongoing)
62.4K 1.2K 35
"love is heavy and light, bright and dark, hot and cold, sick and healthy, asleep and awake - its everything except what it is" theodore not x fem...