A Memorable Tale

By InvisibleLantern

Neville Longbottom x Female Reader ••• The truth is a twisted thing, but at the end of the day, there is only... More

0 | Sherlock Holmes
1 | The Boy Who Had It Rough
2 | Meeting Expectations
3 | Solve???
4 | The Marauder's Map
5 | A Haywire Broom
6 | Christmas (Investigation) Break
7 | Stupid Heroes
9 | Hey Brother
10 | Weirdos Are Interesting
11 | Beware
12 | Muggle-borns
13 | Basilisk
14 | A Second Family
15 | Enemies of the Heir
16 | Out of Bed Again
17 | 50 Points for the Nonsense Adventures
18 | Pets, Creepy and All
19 | Being a Wing-Woman Sucks
20 | Care of Magical Creatures
21 | Are Werewolves Still People?
22 | Werewolf Prejudice
23 | Werewolves Don't Like Smalltalk
24 | Page 394
25 | Peter Pettigrew
26 | Potions and a Good Night's Sleep
27 | Glorified Cleaning Supplies
28 | A 12 Year Old Rat
29 | The Marauders
30 | A Long Remembered Prank
31 | Snape Hasn't Moved On
32 | We Need More Time
33 | Another Case Cracked
34 | They Fired Our First Good Defence Against the Dark Arts Teacher
35 | Tricking Muggles is Easy
36 | The World Cup
37 | My Best Friend's Dad is a Death Eater
38 | Eternal Glory and Likely Death
39 | Unforgivable Until it's a Spider
40 | He's Just a Boy
41 | Beauxbatons and Durmstrang
42 | Thestrals
43 | Big Teeth and Ferrets
44 | Dragons Are Not Meant for Fighting
45 | Dancing
46 | That Time I was (Almost) Everyone's Wingwoman
47 | If He Wanted to He Would
48 | The Yule Ball
49 | We Do Not Sing Above the Ground
50 | Merpeople Don't Sing Lullabies
51 | My Dad Had Friends
52 | The Wrong Griffin
53 | Two Aurors and a Boy with Straw Hair
54 | My Father's Brain
55 | Turning Cogs
56 | Drowning
57 | Just Talking
58 | The Past
59 | Prefect
60 | Normal
61 | Noticing
62 | Sun and Moon
63 | Army
64 | The D.A.
65 | Rebound
66 | Christmas
67 | Solve
68 | Centaurs
69 | SNEAK
70 | Dreams
71 | Healing
72 | O.W.L.s
73 | Fight
74 | The Department of Mysteries

8 | Heroism

28 2 1
By InvisibleLantern

Whispers of Harry's heroism buzzed about the school. So much so that Draco was complaining about it; more than usual, anyway.

"So he does one good thing and suddenly he's the talk of the school?" Draco spat, throwing his wand to the ground. "Well, sorry I didn't go after the murderous thief!"

I picked up his wand, brushing away the dirt from the wood. "Draconis, you do realize that you talk about Harry more than you talk about apples, right?"

His eyes procured a storm, but luckily I was the only one with the umbrella.

The end of the year was nearing and Ravenclaw and Slytherin were neck in neck, at 323 points and 325 points.

Slytherin students were suddenly raising their hands in class and acting more civil, their competitiveness shining through the darkness of their dungeon.

Gryffindor and Hufflepuff really just watched the battle fold out, being so far behind that they'd need to do something so extraordinary that they're bumped up nearly 200 points.

"So, you're suspect was correct then?" Draco suddenly changed the subject. "After all, the last time you got your suspect wrong, you were sulking for weeks."

"I did. That's why I'm up nine knuts." I flipped one of them in my right hand. "You know, next year you'll have a chance at trying out for the Quidditch team. Why not make your life more than snarky remarks and being a prick?"

He scoffed, crunching into his apple. "You won the bet this year, by the way."

"Hm? Which one?"

"The Christmas one."

Draco had given me a canopy that perfectly resembled the night sky, as you know. I gave Draco the entire Sherlock Holmes series, which was disguised as textbooks. It could only be revealed by saying the phrase we live by.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

I shall either find a way or make one.

Both our families are stubborn like that, and I'd like to believe that it seeped into our blood. Or, at least mine.

Most of the time, when we purposefully hide things from each other, that is the phrase. Thankfully he got it, otherwise he would've believed that I actually gave him textbooks. Well, maybe he wouldn't believe it but certainly find it odd - I always hit the mark with Christmas gifts.

And what kind of person gives textbooks as a Christmas gift?

Draco held out a small pouch, likely filled with 5 galleons, as we always pay the other when we guess the gift correctly.

I gently pushed it back to him. "No, you guessed mine spot on. I got a tear in my eye when I saw it."

"Really?"

"Well, no, but I did in my head."

A few Slytherin students came walking by, one yelling out to me, "Trying to sleep your way through the ranks, Griffin?"

"I see that you already did that, Starwick."

Her eyes widened in offence and she walked away with her prefect boyfriend clutched in her hand.

Draco and I laughed, connecting our hands in a high five.

I rolled the gem on my necklace between my fingers, watching students walk through the corridor, the turned to look out the window at which we sat on its sill.

The school year was ending, yet it barely felt real.

•••

I rushed into the Great Hall and sat down beside Padma at our table. "Second place!" I exclaimed with frustration.

"You don't seem like the type that would care about those things."

"Not if Draco's is the one beating me! He never beats me!" I am wonderous at choosing battles I know I'll win, he just doesn't realize yet.

"It's the entire house beating us, idiot, don't take it so seriously."

I groaned, pressing my face against the table. He'd rub it in my face for the entirety of summer, I was sure. That notebook would be vibrating from his writing like a Muggle phone.

My gaze followed the rows of banners hanging from the ceiling. It was grand, I will admit, but it would look much better if they were blue.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said, whether mournfully or cheerfully was up to interpretation. "As I understand, the House Cup here needs awarding, and the points standing thus:

"In fourth place, Gryffindor, with 312 point."

A scattered, awkward clap echoed through the hall.

"In third, Hufflepuff, with 352 points."

Another scattered clap with a tad more enthusiasm sounded.

"Ravenclaw has 426. And Slytherin, 472."

Despite the lack of applause from other tables, the Slytherin table may as well have accounted for everybody with how they erupted into cheers.

"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin," Dumbledore said in a dismissive tone. "But due to recent events, I have a few additional points that shall be rewarded."

Smiles faded from the faces of Slytherin students, while others perked up in excitement.

"To Miss Hermione Granger, for her great use of intellect while others were in grave danger, 50 points."

The Gryffindor table regained their energy as they were pushed closer to at least being third place. They cheered and whistled with vigour.

"To Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best-played game of chess that Hogwarts have seen these many years—" although quite literally none of us saw it, "—50 points."

Another cheer, as well as some pats on the back from Ron's brothers.

"And third, Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor House 60 points."

That left Gryffindor and Slytherin suddenly tied. But there couldn't be two winners.

"And, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award 10 points to Neville Longbottom."

My face brightened to a grin as my hands clapped in joy for the boy I had unexpectedly become friends with.

His ten points put Gryffindor in the lead.

"However!" Dumbledore interrupted the applause. "Do not fret, Ravenclaw, for your spot at second place has not been taken. There will always be a sliver of light, a small flame, allowing itself to be overshadowed by the others. It takes a keen eye to see it, but you'll find that it's actually one of the brightest."

His eyes landed on me.

"To Y/N Griffin,"

I choked on my drink and my head snapped to the trio, who all grinned at me. The buggers had snitched.

"I award 50 points for the most impressive investigation Hogw— the wizarding world has seen thus far." He let a chuckle interrupt him. "Without breaking the rules."

House members I had never met before patted my back as some cruel replacement for an applause.

My eyes found Draco's and, to my surprise, he was clapping as well, his eyes rolling but clapping nonetheless.

I turned to the teacher's table, spotting Professor McGonagall holding up the notebook I had given her with a proud smile. "Someone catch me, I'm about to faint."

"You're okay," Morag said, patting my shoulder.

"So, if my calculations are correct, it seems that new decor is in place."

With a raise of his hands, Dumbledore changed the colour of the banners to gold and red.

Gryffindor had won, and frankly, I think they deserved every single point.

I, however, still hung on Dumbledore's words.

The most impressive investigation the wizarding world has seen this far.

The most impressive.

Do you know how long Dumbledore has been around? Far too long. And I was the most impressive.

"Merlin's beard..."

•••

"Aren't you glad, Y/N?" Mandy asked excitedly, pouncing on my back as I packed my things. "Most impressive investigation in the wizarding world!"

I chuckled. "Yeah, I am."

I stood up straight and she backed off. "Do you know where my book on Hogwarts teachers went? I need to return it."

"You never borrowed one," Padma said, locking her trunk.

I furrowed my brow. "Okay..."

We went down to the entrance hall and out to the carriages, which led to the station.

"I can't wait to go home and sleep," I groaned as I sat in the booth.

"Your fault for staying up for that silly investigation," Padma scolded.

"I'm the reason that Ravenclaw remained in second, thank you very much."

I leaned back in my chair with my foot leaned on the opposite and stared outside the window at the world rushing by.

"Ladies," the trolley lady called as she opened the door. "Sweets from the trolley?"

"Oh, yes, thanks." I reached into the bottomless bag my mom gave me and, instead of feeling the things I remembered putting inside, I felt a book.

I peered in, seeing a thick book titled, Hogwarts: 1942-1943.

"What's this...?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.8K 302 11
⚠️MENTION OF ABUSE AND TOXIC RELATIONSHIPS⚠️ Y/n Diggory is in a toxic relationship with Draco Malfoy but she's really in love with another. She want...
114K 3.1K 119
"𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐢𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐬𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬. 𝐖𝐞'𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐡 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐚�...
729K 21.3K 93
❝ IT'S YOU, DRACO IT'S ALWAYS BEEN YOU❞ ↳ [HOGWARTS - GOLDEN TRIO] [DRACO MALFOY / SNAPE'S DAUGHTER] (s. - sep 2014) (f. - ongoing)
78.3K 1.6K 89
Y/N arrives at Hogwarts ready to start a new life at school, she's fallen in love but it comes with way more challenges than she expected. Will they...