[Arthdal Chronicles] Fight fo...

Autorstwa parkmingyeong94

" I am an Igutu. Just like you, Tagon." Tagon's secret is not a secret for everyone but as he can't take the... Więcej

Notes
CHAPTER 1 : It all begins. (EDITED 01.22)
CHAPTER 2 : The beginning of a friendship? (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 3: Too late. (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 4: An ambush (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 5: Option two. (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 6: Merciless. (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 7: Reunion. (EDITED 05/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 1 : Run. (EDITED 05/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 2 : An angel? (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 3: Broken. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 4: A promise. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 5: Was that love? (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 6: "I killed them all" (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 7: Getting closer. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 8: Nothing but us. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 9 : Breaking the rules. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 10 : A meaningful dream. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 11: A promise to find each other again. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 8 : A secret that shouldn't have been heard. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 9: A new High Priestess. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 10: Interesting ideas. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 11: Meetings despite the risks. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 12: Caught. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 13: A Daekan sister. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 14: The calm before the storm. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 15: A turning point. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 16: A new guard for the High Priestess. (EDITED 07/22)
Chapter 17: Choosing a path. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 18: Allies. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 19: Bringing back the calm in the Union.
CHAPTER 20: An imminent separation.
CHAPTER 21: A declaration of silent war.
CHAPTER 22: A King for Arthdal.
CHAPTER 23: A strong will.
CHAPTER 24: The rise of Asa Sin's descendant begins.
CHAPTER 25: The truth behind the lies.
CHAPTER 26: A sudden proposal.
CHAPTER 27: Learning how to be an Igutu.
CHAPTER 28: A coalition.
CHAPTER 29: A trap slowly closing.
CHAPTER 30: An effective curse
CHAPTER 31: A first victory for the Queen of Arthdal.
CHAPTER 32: The Spirits of Flowers Ceremony.
CHAPTER 33: Changing things will take time.
CHAPTER 34: A worrying dream and a deal.
CHAPTER 35: An unavoidable fate?
CHAPTER 36: A royal wedding.
CHAPTER 37: The fight had just begun.
CHAPTER 38: A pain always there.
CHAPTER 39: A step back, two steps forward.
Chapter 40: Friendship and love.
CHAPTER 41: A decision to try.
Chapter 42: A secret knowledge.
CHAPTER 43: Consequences.
CHAPTER 45: Eunseom.
CHAPTER 46: Things are going to be more complicated than planned.
CHAPTER 47: A reunion as wanted as dreaded.
CHAPTER 48: The twins meeting.
CHAPTER 49: Painful words.
CHAPTER 50: The members of the pack support each other.
CHAPTER 51: The cause you chose to fight for.
CHAPTER 52: An act of war.
CHAPTER 53: Shared grief.

CHAPTER 44: A decision, a kiss and a brokenheart.

151 5 120
Autorstwa parkmingyeong94

Once in the Great Shrine, Tanya sent the priests away with the order to put the things they had bought away. With Sana and Yangcha, she headed for the two Daekans' room and though she wanted to inquire about Enoria's condition, she agreed to wait outside, the time for the masked warrior to make sure that the women he loved had control over her emotions.

In front of the closed door of his own room, Yangcha took a deep breath. If he didn't want Enoria to close up, he knew he would have to be careful with his words. He knocked then entered immediately after. He closed the door behind him and took a few steps inside his room. 

He was surprised by Enoria's calmness. Sitting at the table, she was busy writing. When she raised her head to look at him, he could see the storm raging in her eyes but she said nothing and she lowered her eyes to focus again on her task. He exchanged a glance with Whan, leaned over the wall in front of Enoria, who simply shrugged as if he didn't know what to tell him.

"What are you doing?" Yangcha asked as he approached Enoria.

"A list," the Igutu simply replied.

"What kind of list?" he questioned as he read above her shoulder the horrible things she had written there. 

"First it was ten ways to kill Taealha, but we got inspired, it won't be surprising if we manage to go up to fifty," Whan replied.

Yangcha gave him an annoyed look: letting her write such a thing wasn't the best way for her to deal with her emotions. He took the paper without her consent and went to burn it. 

"I wasn't done yet," Enoria said with gritted teeth as she set down her pen as gently as the storm inside her allowed her.

"I understand that you're upset and angry but writing a list like that not only won't help you calm down but it could also be a problem if someone finds it," Yangcha said as he came back to her side.

"I am fine and I am calm," she said as she stood up with a speed that conveyed the opposite of the words she had just spoken.

"No, you're not," he replied as he looked straight into her eyes. She didn't reply to him and she just silently stared back. "Whan, get out for a while," he addressed the warrior without even looking at him. Whan didn't say anything and just obeyed, giving space to the couple. Once Whan out, the silence reigned in the room for a little longer before Yangcha broke it: "it wasn't your fault," he said, "what happened to those three people, it wasn't your fault."

She felt the tears coming to her eyes but she held them back. "It was. They were killed because they knew me. If it weren't for me, they would still be alive. I should have protected them. I failed them."

"You did what you could. Dwelling on those thoughts will only eat you up. Just like trying to kill some Palace Guards in broad daylight while letting all Arthdal know what you are won't change what happened. Now let go of those tears you are trying so hard to hold back, keeping those emotions inside will only hurt you more."

"I don't want to cry, I want to kill. I want to plunge my hand into Taealha's body and slowly feel her heart stop beating. I want to see her in pain, to see the fear in her eyes as she understands that she is dying. And it scares me. To have such thoughts, it scares me. I am losing control over what I feel and what I do and I feel like I am being overwhelmed by everything. I feel like I am suffocating but if I let go of my emotions, if I lose the little control I still have over myself, I don't know what will happen and that is as scary as it is dangerous. I've lost myself once and I don't want that to happen again."

As much as he wanted to know more about what she meant by having lost herself once, he didn't ask, it wasn't the right time. He cupped her head into his hand to force her to look at him. "You'll be fine. You won't lose yourself," he tried to reassure, "but you will have to be more careful or else you'll give Taealha exactly what she is waiting for."

"What other choice do I have but to give her what she wants?"

He immediately understood what she meant by that. "You are not serious, are you? You can't do that. You can't just sacrifice yourself with hope Taealha will be satisfied with that and free those she captured. You know she won't."

"I can't look at Whan and tell him that we have no choice but to give up on his sister. The others have families too, how would I be able to face them if I just wait and see? I can't continue like that, I have to go all in while making sure she has no other choice but to give me my people back."

"Taealha probably has a whole plan settled up for you."

"I know. She wants to bring me on my knees, both my body and mind. She already got me physically on my knees so now I just have to let her break me. That's the only solution I have left."

"I can't agree with that. I can't allow you t-"

"I am sorry but I am not asking for the authorization," she sharply cut him off.

He could see in her eyes that she wouldn't change her mind. No matter what it cost her she was determined to go all in for her people. "Right. As always, you will end up doing whatever the hell you want," he accused as he took a few steps away.

Hurt by his accusation, her eyes followed him as he walked away. She didn't want to argue with him, especially when her emotions were already running high. Instead, she took a moment to collect herself. "You have to understand, those people are my responsibilities," she spoke softly, her voice tinged with sorrow.

He turned to face her, his expression a mix of frustration and concern. "I know, Enoria. I know and I understand but sacrificing yourself won't guarantee their safety. Taealha is cunning and ruthless. She won't release them just because you submit to her."

"I know it's a risk. I know there are no guarantees. But if there's even a slight chance that I can protect them, I have to take it. I won't be able to bear the weight of more of their lives on my conscience if I don't try something," she said, her voice quivering as she spoke, her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"If Taealha is determined to break you, she will."

"Yes, I know that too."

He sighed, not even trying to hide how much he hated the situation. He wanted to protect her but she wasn't letting him do so. He couldn't bear the thought she would just throw herself into the tiger's den, without even being sure it would be worth it. "You are giving me a hard time."

"I am sorry," she replied as she lowered her head. The silence engulfed the room again. There was nothing much she could say. She knew she was giving him a hard time but she appreciated the fact he wouldn't stop her.

"You and your damn stubbornness," he muttered in a sigh.

"Well, I am too old to change now," she replied before they exchanged a small smile that they quickly lost. "When Taealha will be done with me, I'll probably need yo-"

"I'll be there," he said without the slightest hesitation, reaching out to gently hold her hand, "that hand I am holding, I am not letting it go, don't forget that."

"Thank you," she simply replied before she snuggled up to him. 

He discreetly sighed again as he tightened his embrace. He would prefer her not putting herself in trouble but if Taealha was to bring her to her knees, he'd help her back on her feet.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Leaned against the wall, arms crossed, Whan finally broke the heavy silence that had installed in the corridor since he had joined the two women: "Was it you?" he asked the High Priestess with an accusing tone.

"No, it wasn't me," Tanya defended herself, "I wouldn't have done that knowing some people you all care about could have suffered the consequences."

He observed her in silence for a moment. She didn't lower her gaze, determined to convince him of her innocence in the matter.

Just like the first time they had exchanged a few words, he didn't like the way she was looking at him. There was something in her look that made him at the same time uncomfortable and incapable of looking away. It was as puzzling as it was fascinating. "Obviously your beloved husband didn't mind that fact," he finally said as he broke eye contact.

"I am not responsible for what he does but I am sorry for what happened, sincerely."

He looked at her again. He didn't doubt her sincerity, he was just annoyed by the situation. "Yeah, me too," he replied in a sigh before his eyes fell on Sana who was silently sobbing, "you must have been shocked, haven't you?" he asked before he reached for her and took her into his arms.

"They had done nothing wrong," Sana said between two sobs, "they were good people who lived quietly without harming anyone. That's unfair."

"I know," he simply said as he gently patted her back to offer comfort. If the world was fair, it would be easier for them, they would have way less problems but a peaceful world, that was what they were fighting for.

"I should have sent Yihyun away when I figured out she was following me. Now, because of me, Taealha may hu-"

"Stop it," Whan cut her off, "it wasn't your fault. If someone is to blame it's me, I am her brother and I can't even keep her safe," he said, his voice filled with frustration and self-blame as he held Sana tightly. 

Sana clung to him, seeking solace in his embrace, her tears staining his shoulder. Yihyun was maybe not her biological sister but she loved her like one. She felt responsible for not having taken the right decision for her.

They stayed like that for a moment and Tanya's heart clenched. She was attached to Sana and seeing her crying was hard to support. There was not much she could do but maybe she could try to talk to Taealha if her path crossed hers.

"Trust me, she'll get scolded when I'll get her back," Whan said as Sana was calming down.

Sana let out a small laugh before she pulled away from him. "You've always been unable to scold her. She is the one who always tells you off."

"That's right. How come I let myself be bossed around by a kid? Unbelievable."

"That's how much you love her," Sana replied as she wiped her tears.

"Well, she is my little sister, of course I love her that much," he said with a smile.

"What are we going to do now?" Sana asked, "we cannot keep on waiting for Taealha to either give us our people back or put their heads on pike according to her mood. We have to act."

"We will," Enoria replied as the door of the room opened and she went out, followed by Yangcha, "but not today. And I strictly forbid you to do anything without my approval. You two are way too precious for me to take the risk of losing you as well."

Sana nodded before she reached for her leader's arms who welcomed her in a warm and reassuring embrace.

Further, Whan observed. There was a sort of resignation in her leader's eyes and he had a bad feeling. "Why do I feel like I am not going to like your plan?" he asked. He didn't get an answer and the small sad smile on her face finished to convince him that he was right. He exchanged a glance with Yangcha who seemed as concerned as he seemed resigned too. "Tell me," he insisted.

"Later," she simply replied as she released Sana from her arms, wiped the tears her young protégé still had on her face then passed a hand in her hair. It pained her to see her in that state. She only wanted to see a smile on her pretty face and Taealha would have to pay for having made her people suffer. "You aren't that busy for a High Priestess," Enoria teased with a small smile as she looked at Tanya.

"I am sorry for what happened but I wanted to tell you that it wasn't me," Tanya replied.

"I know that it wasn't you, don't worry. Now you should go back to your activities, you probably have a lot to do."

"How about you, my Lady? What are you going to do?" Sana asked.

"Tagon will probably make me go to the headquarters to continue sharpening swords. It will probably keep me busy until tonight."

"May I ask you something before you go?" Tanya asked and when Enoria nodded, she continued: "have you cursed Gilseon?"

"I don't have that power. I simply described him the way I wanted him to die. Why?"

"I saw something above him, a sort of shadow. I think that death is following him. I have seen it above Mugwang before but since you allowed him to escape from my curse on the night of the coup, it's not there anymore."

"Too bad, why don't you curse him again?" Whan asked in a murmur.

"It's thanks to you that Mugwang is safe from my curse," Tanya continued, ignoring Whan's remark, "so it wouldn't be a surprise if you had been capable of cursing Gilseon."

"Interesting," Enoria simply said. If she had the capacity to curse people too, it could be something useful in the future. She thanked Tanya for telling her, bowed to her, gently messed up Sana's hair who didn't miss to complain, exchanged a glance with Yangcha then headed for the exit.

Before Enoria left, Yangcha silently asked Whan to keep an eye on her. The warrior understood the silent mission, nodded, and followed his leader, while, accompanied by Sana, he followed the High Priestess.

-----------------------------------------------------------

After his encounter with Taealha, Saya walked the streets of the city, attentive to his surroundings. He passed by the center of the central market to observe the consequences of his action. He watched the heads that had been put on the pikes. The scapegoats he had given to Tagon were all there, as well as three others he didn't know about and that he identified as Taealha's gifts. He wondered how Enoria would react to Taealha's action. He didn't really know what he wanted her to do. Whether she would keep her words to stay by his side or she would give up on him, he was curious about the choice she would make. He spotted her at the other side of the square, her eyes riveted to what was left of three of her friends. He bypassed the square and joined her. He saw tears in her eyes but he didn't dare to comment.

"What you did cost them their lives," Enoria finally said.

Saya looked at her, her calmness surprising him. He had expected her to be furious, to unleash her anger upon him for his actions. Yet, her words carried a hint of sadness and resignation rather than rage. "I know," he replied in a low voice, "believe me or not but I am sorry."

"I believe you," Enoria said as she turned her gaze towards him. He seemed sincere. Maybe her words in the morning had touched something inside of him. She gave him a faint smile. Being sorry wouldn't revive her people. "Can you do something for me?" she asked and when he nodded, she continued: "three of my people died because of what you did so whether it helps you decide what kind of person you want to be or find a way to bring Taealha down, make sure they didn't die for nothing. Their death must mean something so that I can face their families in this life and face them in the afterlife."

"Are you not angry at me?" he asked, a bit perturbed by her attitude.

"I am angry. So much that I almost did something really stupid earlier but my anger is not especially directed to you. Taealha ordered that. Tagon probably knew but did nothing. The guards obeyed. And I, I could do nothing to protect them. So yes, I am angry at you but you are not the only one responsible."

Somehow, he felt a little bit relieved that she wasn't directing all her anger at him and yet, it also felt strange. "What are you going to do now?"

"I will do my best to try to rescue the rest of my people."

He could hear in her voice that she, herself, wasn't convinced she would be able to do such a thing. Maybe she was starting to accept that she would never see her people again.

"Tagon wants to test your capacity," she changed the subject, "I thought he would give us more time but he told me to have you ready in three days."

"What kind of test will it be?"

"I have no idea. But it won't surprise me if he actually asked you to kill so be ready for it. I'll be there so don't worry, I won't let him go too far," she replied before she gave him a small tap on the back then left to go to the headquarters where she had work to do. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

To distract Sana, Tanya canceled the few activities she had for the rest of the morning and she invited the young warrior to explain to Yangcha the basics of sewing tissue. She had expected the masked warrior to complain about the sudden activity she was imposing on him but he had shown himself quite conciliant, not to please her, but for Sana since he, too, wanted to help her feel better.

Tanya observed from a distance as the two were sitting together, engrossed in their sewing lesson. Sana was deeply engaged in the teaching process. Her usual energetic and lively nature took a softer tone as she patiently guided Yangcha, teaching him the basics, demonstrating different stitches and techniques. Yangcha, initially uncomfortable with the activity, surprised her with his willingness to participate and his evident skill, though, from time to time, he pricked his own finger. She had already seen before how different he was when he wasn't focused on his job: that time when he had been preparing lunch for them, or that other time when he had carefully drawn for her the mark on Enoria's back. There was a grace in his movements, a delicacy that contrasted with his usual dangerous look. She liked seeing him like that, more friendly, less serious, freer to be what she thought was his own self though she didn't ignore the fact that being a warrior was a huge part of who he was.

"Have you seen that, Niruha? He is naturally skilled," Sana exclaimed.

Yangcha frowned. He wasn't. It was just because it was actually not that different from sewing injuries and that, he had done it a lot before. 

"Maybe it's time to quit the Daekan Forces to become a dressmaker," Tanya teased him.

He raised his head to look at her. It was nonsense. Not only because he was a warrior who didn't want to be something else but also because one couldn't simply quit the Daekan Forces. They had sworn an oath and there was only one way to be released from it: death.

Tanya didn't look away from him. She had already told him before that she would show him that Tagon's ways were wrong and she had not changed her mind. She was convinced that he wouldn't always follow Tagon, that one day he would fight for his freedom just like every one who thought their lives belong to someone else.

"Sir Yangcha is your bodyguard, Niruha. No matter how skilled he is, he won't abandon you to become a dressmaker, don't worry," Sana said with a small smile.

"I am not worried," Tanya replied, "I trust him," she continued as she glanced at him. 

He didn't like when she was doing that. It was as if she forgot that he was Tagon's warrior, or was he the one who tend to forget? Tanya was different from Tagon, she was kind and caring. She didn't make any differences between people as she saw their hearts before their status. As much as he admired Tagon, he couldn't deny that he also respected the High Priestess. But respect didn't mean loyalty and his was still Tagon's.

"Sir Yangcha is worth your trust, Niruha," Sana said, "he may look scary on the outside but he is really cool and kind."

Yangcha felt discomfort at her words. He didn't deserve such praise. He was a Daekan warrior, one who had taken dozens of lives, he was not cool and kind, he was a killer.

"You are not just a Daekan warrior, Yangcha," Tanya answered him though he hadn't been addressing her, "if the opportunity occurs, what would you like to do?"

He had never seriously thought about it. What would he have done so when he had sworn to serve Tagon for the rest of his life? Enoria had told him once that he could be a great swordsmanship teacher as long as she stayed the only student he fell in love with but it had been a teasing, nothing more, nothing that he had ever seriously considered.

"I think you could be a great swordsmanship teacher," Sana said, "if you were to teach only men, Lady Enoria would probably manage to put her jealousy aside."

He looked at her with surprise. It was almost like Sana was the second person in that room that could hear his thoughts.

"She doesn't read your thoughts," Tanya replied, "friends usually understand each other's silence."

He almost rolled his eyes. They never stopped with their friendship obsession. 

"Right! After all, if we put Lady Enoria aside since she went from enemy to lover in one look, I am your first real friend, aren't I?" Sana asked him.

Yangcha felt like he was losing control of the situation. It was time to put an end to that informal moment. He carefully folded back the dress they had been working on, put aside the material they had used then went back to his place, near the door.

"Too shy to admit it yet?" Sana teased him, "when you are even wearing the friendship bracelet I bought you? Fine, don't admit it. I know you like me a little anyway. You are just an awkward potato but one day I would have you say it for sure!"

"Enoria once told me that we should keep trying to befriend him because we may break through his defenses one day," Tanya added.

"Don't have too many expectations, Niruha. We may become old ladies before he even thinks about admitting the truth."

Near the door, the corner of Yangcha's lips slightly raised as Sana and Tanya laughed together, their cheerful voices filling the room. Seeing Sana laugh was better than seeing her cry. Maybe she was right. Maybe she was indeed his first friend. Despite his initial resistance to the idea of friendship, he had grown fond of Sana's presence and their shared moments. Her teasing and infectious laughter had managed to break through his defenses with a surprising ease and it wasn't unpleasant at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sana and Tanya were making flowers crowns and chatting together while Yangcha had returned to his usual impassiveness when knocks were heard at the door. The two women immediately stopped their activity and, with his Niruha's approval, Yangcha opened the door to the visitor.

The Prince stood in front of him and Yangcha didn't immediately bow to him. He first starred at the one whose action had upset the woman he loved. 

"I apologized," Saya said in a low voice as he lowered his head, "I apologized to Enoria and she accepted it so you don't need to silently lecture me too."

Seeing Saya's sudden uneasiness, the masked warrior almost sighed. The proud Prince suddenly appeared to him for what he was: a kid. He bowed his head and made way for Saya to enter.

"You!" Sana exclaimed as she stood up and approached him with speed. "It's because of you that our friends are dead!" She would have pushed him if Yangcha hadn't put himself between them. "I am going to put your head on a pike too!" 

"I am sorry," Saya said, "that what I did led to such consequences, I am sorry about it."

"Being sorry won't change anything! You knew Taealha had our friends, didn't you? And yet you still decided to act."

"Sana," Tanya calmly called her, "let me talk to him, please," she said before she glanced at Yangcha who understood her silent order. 

Without giving her the opportunity to rebel, the masked warrior led Sana outside, closing the door between them while the silence fell in the room where Saya was left alone with Tanya. 

"Tanya, I-"

"Why? Why did you do that?" Tanya asked him, "Sana is right. You knew that Taealha had some of their friends and you knew what she could do to them if you were to spread that knowledge, so why?"

"To diminish Taealha's power over my father and so over Arthdal itself," he justified himself, "with that, Tagon should have put Taealha aside for good since he didn't need her anymore."

"He loves her, Saya," she replied with a certain softness, "why would he ever want to put her aside?"

"You don't know them," he said as he shook his head and approached her, "they value power more than they value the love they have for each other. Love will never be enough for them, it's just a pleasant addition to their collaboration."

"Even if Tagon had decided to give up on Taealha after what you did, it wouldn't have been worth it," she scolded, "people died because of you. Innocent people. Nothing can justify that. And you should have discussed that with me beforehand. We promised to be sincere towards one another, didn't we?"

"You wouldn't have appro-"

"Of course I wouldn't have approved! You must value people' life more than that! I am disappointed," she said as she walked to the balcony for fresh air.

He joined her on the balcony and just like her, he leaned on its edge. "What are you expecting from me?" he asked.

"I am expecting you to be better than that," she replied without hesitation, "to recognize the value of human life and to think about the consequences your action can have on others, especially if you want to do things that cannot be undone."

Saya sighed and looked down at his hands, contemplating her words. "I understand," he said as he slowly nodded.

"No, you don't, Saya. You understand things with your head but not with your heart. You are the Prince, you must guide, protect and respect the citizens of Arthdal. Those are your responsibilities. You can't let innocent people suffer for your own personal gains, never. We are married and your choices also have consequences for me. I can't support you if you make the bad ones and I sincerely want to support you but for that, you have to be better, for yourself, for Arthdal and for me too."

He turned to look at her and straightened his posture. Her cheeks had taken colors but she didn't look away from him. Maybe he had been wrong. Maybe she already belonged to him. "Will you help me?" he asked, his voice slightly trembling, "if I choose to be good, to follow your ways, will you help me and stay by my side?"

Tanya nodded without hesitation. "We'll step into the light and make of Arthdal a better place, together," she replied as she cupped his face into her hands, "I believe in you."

A tear fell on his cheek, moved by words he didn't know he needed to hear. Just like Enoria, Tanya too believed in him. They were showing him another path, one that he could try to take. 

Tanya smiled softly, wiping away his tear with her thumb. Saya could be good, she was sure of it. He just needed to be guided and supported and she would do that for him. She was the bell, her words could echo in him and he, as the mirror, could reflect the kindness he was shown. She approached her face to his and dropped a short kiss on his lips.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Leaned against the wall in front of Tanya's door, her eyes fixed on it, arms crossed and her lips curled into an angry pout, Sana sighed once more. "I hope Niruha will reduce him into pieces," she said.

Yangcha first didn't reply, he didn't really know what to tell her but when she sighed once more he understood that she was waiting for him to actually say something. "It's very unlikely," he allowed himself to say.

"You're right. She is too nice to do such a thing. Let's do it ourselves!"

"We are not going to kill the Prince, Sana." 

"Why not? It doesn't bother him to do things that cost our people' lives so why should we restrain ourselves?"

"Because you are not like him. You are better than that."

"You think so?"

"I am sure of it."

A smile appeared on her face and, shy all of a sudden, she looked away. "You know, if you weren't the age to be my father, I could have fallen for you."

"You're too old to be the age to be my daughter."

My daughter, it felt weird to say those two words but he didn't dislike it and maybe, one day, he would call someone like that. 

"And too young to fall for you? I was just kidding, you are too taken anyway. But isn't age just a number?" she teased before she regained seriousness, "you know, I lost my parents when I was young so just for one day maybe Lady Enoria and you could act like my parents. You know, just for me to remember what it feels like to have a true family."

It was a weird request she was asking him and he didn't know how he was supposed to reply. He was sure Enoria already considered her family but whether or not she wanted to consider herself her mother, he didn't know. "Ask Enoria," he simply replied.

"So it's not a no," she noted.

"It's not a yes either," he made her remark.

"But it's not a no," she repeated with a smile.

"You're talkative today."

"So are you. For someone under the punishment of silence, you truly talk a lot," she said as she stuck her tongue at him.

Behind his mask, his lips raised into a small smile she couldn't see. The only reason he actually talked to her was because he was comfortable in her presence. He didn't reply to her and he just messed up her hair. 

The light atmosphere was interrupted by Whan who they saw come hurtling in the corridor they were in. The expression on his face betrayed nothing good.

"Tell me you are not seriously going to let her do that, are you?!" Whan accused as he wasn't even close to the duo.

"What are you talking about?" Sana asked, fixing her hair.

"Enoria will throw herself into the tiger's den," Whan replied with gritted teeth as he had finally joined them. He looked at Yangcha again. "We can't allow that! Once Taealha will have her, she'll never let her go! You have to do something to stop her!"

"And what can I do?" Yangcha sharply asked, "she is doing that for your people, for your little sister and you want to stop her? Do you think she is stupid enough not to have thought about other ways beforehand? She found none. Giving Taealha what she wants is her last resort and consequently, yours too."

Baffled by the warrior's resignation, Whan grabbed his clothes. "You can't agree with that decision. You can't possibly be fine with her doing such a thing!" 

His words angered Yangcha who grabbed him by the collar and pushed him against the wall. "If it was only my decision to make, I would convince her to give up but I can't. Because she simply just won't, no matter what I say. So no, I do not agree and I am not fine with it. It pissed me off as much as it worries me that she has to reduce herself to do such a thing but I won't stop her because I am also incredibly proud of her and you should too. The one you choose to follow is ready to sacrifice herself to save her people. Your queen will do everything she can for all of you because you all mattered for her and she can't bear the thought of doing nothing, because she won't be able to look at you if she just abandoned your sister and the others to Taealha's claws." 

"How could I let her do that?! How could I be happy to get my sister back if the other one sacrifices herself for that?"

"She has weighed the risks and considered the consequences! This is what she has chosen to do and you are going to accept and respect that. She is tough. Whatever Taealha makes her go through, she'll survive it and we'll be there to make sure she will, understood?"

Yangcha had never scared him before but the look in his eyes at that exact moment kind of frightened him a little. "Yes, sir."

"Good," Yangcha simply said before he finally released the grip he had on Whan's clothes and took a step back.

"I didn't know you had a bossy side," Whan said as he adjusted his clothes.

"I do not."

"Yes, you do."

"I do not," Yangcha insisted.

"You d-"

"Stop it."

"Yes, boss," Whan replied before he exchanged a glance with Sana and they both laughed under the eyes of a sighing Yangcha.

"Sir Yangcha is right though," Sana said as she regained her seriousness, "we are lucky to have a leader who values us that much. She cares for us very much and she always put our needs before hers. She listens to us, she is happy when we are happy, she comforts us when we are sad and she always tries her best so that we'll lack nothing, like a mother. I feel sad for you, sir Yangcha, Tagon will never be that kind. How could he when he doesn't even allow you to speak freely? But it's alright, I am sure one day you will be free from him. You'll fight for your freedom, sir Yangcha, won't you?"

"You sure do sound like Enoria, you know that?" Yangcha asked her.

"Thanks for the compliment!" Sana exclaimed with a bright smile.

Whan smiled seeing her that enthusiastic, then he exchanged a short glance with Yangcha. The masked warrior was loyal to Tagon, he didn't doubt that, but, deep inside, maybe even without being fully conscious of it, Whan was sure that a part of him was longing for more and that, one day, if it wasn't already the case, Tagon would lose for good his right-hand man.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Saya closed his eyes, savoring the sweetness of Tanya's kiss. It was a tender gesture, filled with reassurance and hope. As their lips parted, he held her gaze, his eyes filled with gratitude and love. She released his face from her hands and bit her own lips, probably not knowing what to do or say next. He didn't say anything and he leaned towards her again. His lips captured hers with no shyness.

He usually felt her stiffen when he kissed her but not this time. As their lips moved together, the world around them seemed to fade away, leaving only the two of them immersed in their shared moment. The softness of her lips against his sent a wave of warmth through his body, reminding him that he was not alone. Tanya was maybe not in love with him yet but he knew that she was genuinely trying. She would support him. She could love him and he could feel his own doubts and insecurities fading away.

His hands gently cradled her face, his fingers caressing her soft skin with a touch that was both reverent and longing. His lips responded to hers with a delicate urgency, conveying his yearning to connect with her on a deeper level.

Tanya reciprocated his affection, her lips melding with his in a rhythm that finally felt instinctive and natural. She was enjoying the taste of his lips. It was maybe not love yet but she liked him.

In that tender exchange, he could feel Tanya's genuine effort to let go of her reservations and be present with him. It was a small victory, knowing that she was willing to take this step forward, even if love had not fully blossomed yet.

She felt a surge of warmth spreading throughout her body and she pulled away from him. Still in his arms, they just looked at each other in confusion. "I feel weird," she said as she took a step back, her eyes searching his for understanding.

He furrowed his brow, concern etching his features. "What do you mean, weird?" he asked gently, his voice filled with both curiosity and worry.

Tanya didn't reply right away, trying to find out the right words. "The fire," she muttered in a barely audible voice before she rushed inside their room, leaving Saya confused.

"Are you feeling feverish?" he asked with worries as he approached her again, waited for her to gulp her glass of water, then put his hand on her forehead, "you're not," he noted.

She felt her cheeks burning. It was inside that she felt feverish and she didn't know how to deal with such a sensation. "Could we take things slowly?" she finally dared to ask.

He looked at her with a mix of surprise and understanding. He realized that their intimate moment had triggered something unexpected within her. He nodded, his concern deepening. A small smile he couldn't restrain appear on his face. Even if she wasn't ready to submit to her desire, she wanted him. "Of course," he said softly, his voice filled with reassurance. 

"Thank you," she replied in a sigh of relief, "and erase that smile from your face."

"I am trying."

"Try harder," she said before they both laughed, releasing the tension that had built before.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Outside of the Shrine, hidden in bushes that made him invisible, Eunseom watched as Tanya and Saya exchanged a passionate kiss. His eyes turned purple. His fists clenched to the point his knuckles turned white. He didn't try to hold back the tears in his eyes as his heart shattered into a thousand pieces, each shard stabbing at him with a pain he had never known before. He had been too slow to come back to her, she had not waited for him. 

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

44.6K 3.2K 186
Lisa Manoban was the live-in daughter-in-law that everyone despised, but her real identity as the heirs of a prominent family remained a secret. She...
127K 11.6K 74
"...you hold all my secrets and you are the one thing that can destroy me if you choose to." -Kim Seokjin He spent his entire life doing what he was...
29.9K 1.3K 41
--- He's once a bully. You're once a poor girl. He keeps bullying you and you're clever enough to dodge his traps. Until something happened and mad...
155K 8K 64
"We can't be just friends and you know that." Grabbing my arm he pushed me against the wall, my hip hitting the table causing a shooting pain to tra...