Mehendi & Moonlight || Ana

By eatinmochis

Can a desi love be one like the fairytales say? --- When Nisha Anwar - a diligent hopeless romantic - unexpec... More

Note + Playlist
Copyright & Disclaimer
Nisha
Chapter 1:: The Misunderstanding
Chapter 2:: Erratic Incidents
Chapter 3:: Synchronized Rhythms
Chapter 4:: Criteria of Acquaintances
Chapter 5:: The Torture Game
Chapter 6:: The Fluttering Heart
Chapter 7:: The Proximity
Chapter 8:: Just Like Thieves
Chapter 9:: Sparkling Moments
Chapter 10:: ' The Kabir Magic'
Chapter 11:: The Chaos
Chapter 12:: Unexpected Closures
Chapter 13:: Fights & Rekindles
Chapter 14:: Closer Steps
Chapter 15:: The Wedding
Chapter 16:: Humor & Depth
Chapter 17:: Mehendi & Moonlight
Chapter 18:: Enemies In Love
Chapter 19:: The Book Fair
Chapter 20:: Encouragement & Admiration
Chapter 21:: Incoming Problems
Chapter 22:: Obvious Feelings
Chapter 23:: Confessions of Love
Chapter 24:: Obvious & Oblivious
Chapter 25:: Fair Trade
Chapter 26:: The Eavesdropper
Chapter 27:: Truthful Reflections
Chapter 28:: Dreamy Reverie
Chapter 29:: Stairs of Progress
Chapter 30:: Leash Of Reality
Chapter 31:: Her Journal

Kabir

20 3 0
By eatinmochis

"Kabir!" A voice called, as the few figures in the room got up, astonished. 
One of them had wide eyes glazing with pure surprise. 
"Shams, my guy!" The guy—in a T-shirt and jeans—shouted with his vast suitcases and handbag, dropping his belongings on the floor and running towards the people.

He jumped onto one of them, who got startled and moved behind. 
"Their gaying never stopped." Another one commented, making all heads turn towards him. He shrugged as the hugging duo laughed together. 
"Shams, I missed you!" The dark-haired male grinned, hugging the other figure tighter.
"How dare you prank us, you fucker?!" The hazel-eyed guy, Shams, darted the other one with raging eyes. 
"Well, uh. You know. It was a prank! How can I miss my best friend's wedding?" Kabir spoke, pulling away from the hug.

"You smell." Shams scrunched up his face as one of the others said, "You missed his stinky socks for months, don't talk."
"Shut the fuck-" 
"Stop cursing!" Kabir spoke, sighing.
"I know I don't smell. I only smelled once in my life, and that was during high school. So quit lying and welcome me properly!" Kabir spoke, frowning at everyone. The 3 guys around them, including Shams stared at him. They weren't even surprised seeing him act so uninhibited and laid-back. 

That was Kabir Zaid. 

Sham's only best friend, who returned to the country after years of studying abroad.

"I thought it'd be fun to prank you. You got so sad. I heard that you cried!" Kabir laughed loudly as Shams frowned, "Who said that?!"
"Not me." The one beside them ran his hands through his nonexistent hair as Kabir smirked, "Atif, you lack hair cause of your lies." 
"Atif er baccha!" Shams screamed, about to hit the short-haired one who winced, moving away. 
"Kabir!" He called but Kabir showed him his tongue, proceeding to hug the others.

"Ah, Wahi! Ajay!" Kabir hugged them all and scrunched his face, "Stop smoking, this is my last warning. That's injurious." 
Kabir warned but they shrugged, "Let me smoke before I turn into a saint-like Shams. He's so scared of Priti bhabi sometimes, he quit smoking for good." 

"That's good for him. Better know your good." Kabir said, plopping on Sham's couch. 
"Where's uncle and aunt?" He asked as Shams replied, "They're out with some aunts, handing out invitation cards." 

"Isn't the wedding in like... a month?" 
"26 days." 
"Oh." Kabir nodded, eyeing Atif who furrowed his brows at him. 
"Bring me a glass of water, peasant." 
"What? Why should I? You didn't bring gifts." Atif spoke, rolling his eyes. Kabir scoffed, "Who said I didn't? I did. Bring me water, I'll give you a note of 100 dollars."

"My master, I'm coming right away!" Atif rushed out, making the others sigh. 
"You only know how to make a fool out of Atif." Ajay commented, sitting across from Kabir who chuckled, "I will give him money."
"Can I apply?" Wahi spoke, making Shams sigh.

"Shut up you all. Only busy with money and girls. Look, Kabir. When did you come? Spill things, you ass." Shams warned, sitting beside Kabir who smiled, looking around. He admired the minimal decoration of the living room and the couch.
"This couch is new... you changed it?"
"Yeah. You left 6 years ago, of course, I'd change it." 
"I came 2 years ago." 
"For an 8-day vacation and you didn't visit my house."

"Right." Kabir bit his bottom lip, continuing, "Don't worry. This time, I'm here permanently. I also prepared all the things to start a business here." 
"What the heck?!" Shams gasped. Wahi and Ajay immediately plopped down, giving Kabir the most shocked look to exist. 

"The water's here, master." Atif served a glass of water in front of Kabir as he took it, giving him a pleased look. 
"Good job, peasant."
"My pay?" 
"Wait." Kabir finished the water and handed it to Atif, "Go keep it in the kitchen." 
Ajay and Wahi stared at Atif and laughed among themselves. 

"Then?" Shams asked. 
"What else? I'm here. My parents know. Only you all didn't know, this was a surprise. Just you all didn't seem surprised." Kabir grimaced, making the others stare at him blankly. 
Atif returned and forwarded his hand. 

Kabir handed him a 100-dollar note as he shouted a 'Yess!' and sat down. 
"We better get ours before you're murdered," Wahi warned as Kabir chortled, rolling his eyes playfully.
"What were you all talking about while I was away?" Atif asked. Kabir raised his brows at him while the others gave each other looks. 

"Shall we leave him out?" Wahi asked.
"Good plan." Ajay and Shams both nodded. 

Kabir smiled seeing Atif's huge frown.
"Stop leaving me out! Tell me!" He insisted. Kabir put his palms behind his head, resting like a King. 
"Listen, guys. I'm here forever now so it's okay. Also, you all can stop being sad because since Kabir is here, every single event will be fun and alive." He said confidently while the others laughed. Shams scoffed and pulled Kabir's ears, making him groan in pain. 
He frowned at Shams who said, "Serves you right. Even Priti was sad you didn't come."

"Oh, about Priti bhabi. Don't tell her, okay? I'll show up at their house invitation, it's in two days, right?" Kabir asked as Shams nodded, "You're going?"
"Yeah. Of course. I came here with full planning." Kabir smiled as Shams asked, "Do my parents know?"
"Of course."

"What a nutjob he is. We four are the only ones who don't know?!" Wahi protested as Shams said, "My Priti doesn't know either."
"Shut your Priti. What an annoying loverboy." Ajay commented. Atif stared at Kabir, not speaking a word. His wide eyes became teary as he jumped onto Kabir, making him gasp.
"My best friend! You're home finally!"

"What the heck... I can't take this anymore." Ajay sighed while Wahi cringed. 

With a surprised gasp, Kabir shut his eyes while being squished by Atif.

"Leave me, oh my god!" He tried pushing him away but Atif was on him, busy with his overacting as always. That was one reason Kabir always considered Atif the number one Starplus award-deserving actor. 

"Anyway, freshen up. We're going to many places and have lots of arrangements. Priti is going to the mall every day nowadays." 
"Of course she will, she's the bride." Wahi said as Shams smiled, "I miss Priti..."
"Wow... I don't think I'll be able to stand this." Kabir spoke, making Wahi smirk, "How will you? Your lovers fled away!" 
"Shut up." 

"Don't ship him with strange girls from University days!" Atif frowned as Ajay spoke, "Atif, you never had a chance to begin with, so calm down, gopi bahu." 

Everyone burst into laughter hearing that. 

"Go to my room, for now, Kabir. I'll free up the guest room for you. Since Atif is sleeping with me and Ajay and Wahi are roommates so." 
"Alright." Kabir got up and followed Shams, knowing well the rest 3 were rummaging through his suitcase right now. 

——— 

Kabir dried his fluffy wet hair and smiled into the mirror. 

He was in his country after so long, it felt surreal. 

When he first landed in his birthland, the sight was reminiscent of his entire life which was spent here. This country wasn't the best one out there, but he missed his people and the aura. 

Might as well be the over-crowds at every place due to the excessive population.

"I wonder if staying here again would be better or not." He spoke to himself, checking out his facial features. 
"Manlier than ever before. Hah, Kabir, you await so many proposals." He chuckled and kept his towel aside, walking out while wearing his t-shirt. 

Upon seeing Sham's parents outside, he immediately greeted them and was welcomed wholeheartedly. After having a small chat with them, he joined the guys who were goofing around. They kept on stalking Priti's Facebook and showing Shams her pictures.

"As if he doesn't stalk her every night," Kabir commented on their actions. 
"Right. He doesn't even need to stalk. He's marrying her in a month." Ajay spoke. Kabir peeked at Wahi's hand which was holding the phone. They kept on scrolling photos and giving updates to Shams who frowned, reaching the phone from time to time.

"You all look like we're in 10th grade... woah, can you believe it? It was 10 years ago when Shams proposed to Priti?" Kabir gasped and they all had a moment of realization. They all had been together since then, enjoying life and little moments. 
And now they were grown up, enjoying the same things again.

Maybe life right now was just a fairytale. Otherwise, how could such a blissful incident occur? Kabir wondered.

"Stop." Kabir suddenly spoke, making the three heads staring at the phone turn towards him. He stared at the picture that was displayed on the screen. 
"What?" Wahi asked, irritated due to the sudden interruption. 

Kabir took the phone from him and stared at the photo, his eyes fixated on something.

"What is he staring at so intensely?" Shams asked as Wahi shrugged.
"A photo of Priti and her siblings," Ajay spoke. 
"Oh, you know them. The eldest one after Priti is Nisha, then comes Adisha and Adil." 

Kabir did not pay any heed to any of them. 
"Why are you staring at your bhabi so intensely? Is she too pretty for our Shams?" Ajay teased, making Shams glare.
"I agree she's too pretty for me but shut up." Shams rolled his eyes.
"Stop staring. Man, that's creepy now." Atif frowned and Wahi nodded. Kabir looked up, all of a sudden as if he woke up from a dream.

"That photo... I never saw it on Nisha's profile."
"You have Nisha's profile?" 
"Yeah, stalked it once like years ago, I think. Just to see who Priti mixes with." Kabir spoke, casually. Ajay squinted his eyes, "Why's your face so uneasy saying that? And Priti doesn't mix with her, she's literally her sister. Make it make sense."
"Same thing." Kabir shrugged, handing the phone back. 

Seeing the suspicious eyes, Kabir frowned.

He shook his head once and sighed, "Here. I was just surprised seeing this new photo."
"Based on your characteristics, you're not someone who bothers about such stuff," Wahi smirked.
"Maybe he likes Nisha," Ajay spoke, making Shams gasp.
"No way!" 
"What? No!" Kabir frowned but looked at Shams, "Why are you reacting?"

"Look, when Priti becomes my wife, that means Nisha will also become my family. And I don't accept you there." Shams said. Kabir stared at his best friend, blankly. He contemplated whether pulling his friend's beautiful black hair would be a good choice or not. 

"You know what? You all are strange. I don't like anyone. I was only curious. Priti's my soon-to-be Bhabi of course!" Kabir shrugged and seeing his laid-back attitude, everyone got disinterested in the curry they were cooking. 
"Told you he's into guys." Ajay spoke making Kabir's ears perk up, "Shut up!!" 

"Kabir, your phone's ringing," Shams said, staring at Kabir's silent phone. The name displayed 'Aunt Mona.' 

"Let her... I don't wanna listen right now."
"Why?" Ajay asked.
"It's all about some land-related things. It's a massacre at home sometimes regarding these. I don't care, anyway. Don't wanna be in these." Kabir shrugged, distress evident on his face. 

"Property issues within the family are always there." Atif sighed.
"Wish it wasn't," Wahi spoke, turning off the phone.
"Okay, now let's all play uno!"

"No smoking or I'm out," Kabir warned as the other three except for Shams groaned.
"Get this saint outta here." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.1K 1.3K 11
What's a desi wedding without a little drama. . . love? All Aliya Ahmed wanted was to enjoy her sister's wedding. But when Aayan Ahmed- the man who h...
1.2M 55.6K 40
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐔𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ~ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝟏 Aleena Noor, a Bangladeshi girl with an elated heart, discovers the new chapter of her life. I...
49.4K 2.1K 28
Dua-e-khair is a compilation of urdu romantic short stories which is entertaining as well as heart warming. If you are a hopeless romantic just like...
322K 16.4K 31
Madiha Shah, a young woman from a middle-class family, finds her life unexpectedly entangled with the illustrious Zafar Shah Abraar, a prominent busi...