In Magician's Embrace [BOOK 1...

By Sylvia-Norcroft

° ° ° AMBYS 2023 WINNER ° ° ° Eliza Price, daughter of the Duke of Hertfordshire, finds herself entangled in... More

FOREWORD & TWs
0. Prologue (It All Began With A Letter)
1. Chapter (January Of Affections)
2. Chapter (The Hand Most Sought In Matrimony)
3. Chapter (The Ball)
4. Chapter (At The Red Cat)
5. Chapter (A Valuable Visitor)
6. Chapter (Meeting Sir Dodger)
7. Chapter (Two Old Rivals)
8. Chapter (The Lovers)
9. Chapter (Old Gossiper's Ball)
10. Chapter (The Magician And His Tricks)
11. Chapter (The History Of The Three Families)
12. Chapter (About Miss Morris)
13. Chapter (One Solicitor's Woes)
14. Chapter (The Clash of Siblings)
15. Chapter (A Temporary Truce)
16. Chapter (Of Mice And Rodents)
17. Chapter (The Grays' Ball)
18. Chapter (Abduction)
19. Chapter (Rejecting A Nightmare)
20. Chapter (The Price Sisters)
21. Chapter (Being Tender May Cost You A Heart)
22. Chapter (A Confession Of An Old Friend)
23. Chapter (The Past That Stings Still)
24. Chapter (More Tricks For Your Mind)
25. Chapter (Frailty Mind, Broken Form)
26. Chapter (Vacationing In Hertford)
27. Chapter (Those Lovely Eyes Of Yours)
28. Chapter (Ah, Those Clandestine Affairs)
29. Chapter (Things You Do For The Family)
31. Chapter (Haughtiness In Hertford)
32. Chapter (Words That Incite Sentiments)
33. Chapter (My Dear Enemy)
34. Chapter (The Betrayal Most Unexpected)
35. Chapter (High Stakes Gamble)
36. Chapter (Weak, Feeble and Soft)
37. Chapter (The Chest)
38. Chapter (You Belong To Me)
39. Chapter (The Ravishing Of Lady E)
40. Chapter (To The Devil With The Scoundrels)
41. Chapter (Ladies Price)
42. Chapter (The Fallen Pretence)
43. Chapter (Good People In Danger)
44. Chapter (Heavy Revelations)
45. Chapter (Of Little Dove And Broken Son)
46. Chapter (Seeking Miss Morris)
47. Chapter (The True Deuce of Grays)
48. Chapter (The Battles Of Resolves)
49. Chapter (The Gallows Of Hearts)
50. Chapter (Lord Gray's Musings)
51. Chapter (An Unlikely Rescuer)
52. Chapter (You Don't Choose Your Enemy)
53. Chapter (Returned From The Grave)
54. Chapter (A Sinister Shot)
55. Chapter (Almost Three Months Later)
56. Chapter (What Was Hidden In The Chest)
57. Chapter (The Wedding and The Feast)
58. Chapter (The Feast Continues)
59. Epilogue I (The Unexpected Betrayal)
60. Epilogue II (Isabella, I Implore You)
AUTHOR'S NOTE & FAMILY TREE

30. Chapter (A Sisterly Spat)

85 9 133
By Sylvia-Norcroft

As Eliza gracefully stepped into the drawing room, she discovered Isabella engrossed in the art of capturing a summer scene on canvas. The sweltering heat of the day had driven the entire family indoors, seeking refuge from the oppressive sun.

"Your artistic endeavours never fail to amaze me, Isabella. The juxtaposition of sunflowers and wild poppies in the foreground is truly splendid," Eliza commended her, admiring the delicate strokes of the brush.

"Hm," Bella murmured, immersed in her creative pursuit.

Balancing a palette in one hand and a brush in the other, Bella afforded Eliza the opportunity to initiate a conversation, now without blocking her ears, or at least Eliza endeavoured to try to converse with her sister at long last.

"Bella, I... you were accurate in your censure regarding my informal engagement. I acknowledge my selfish actions and the unkindness I displayed towards you. I extend my sincerest apologies," Eliza uttered with contrition.

Isabella emitted a disdainful snort, her gaze fixed intently on the canvas before her, treating Eliza's presence as if it were that of a phantom. Unfazed, Eliza pressed on, "What must I do to mend our relationship, to reinstate the bond we shared before?"

In response, Isabella shot her a piercing glance filled with resentment. "Spare me your breath and words, sister. It is not me whom you need to seek forgiveness from. I eagerly anticipate witnessing Emmett's reaction when he learns that you agreed to the engagement on a whim. And if Travis still deigns to converse with you after your revelation, he is more foolish than even I presumed."

"Nay, I maintain that you, too, are owed an apology. Verily, I harbour no affection for either gentleman, and at the earliest convenience, I shall rectify this lamentable situation," Eliza declared in earnest.

"And pray, when might that be? In a sennight, a month, perchance two years? Or shall it only come to pass when another gallant suitor sweeps in, stirring an even greater tempest within that capricious mind of yours?" Bella retorted, her words laced with sarcasm.

Eliza, with a resigned sigh, adopted an expression that hinted at a predicament already met. This prompted Bella to impulsively cast her palette and brush onto the adjacent table, a display of frustration accompanied by a dramatic roll of her eyes.

"Well, Eliza Price, if you dare tell me it's Phineas or, heaven forbid, Oscar, I cannot vouch for my composure!"

Eliza promptly shook her head in disagreement. "Nay, neither of the names you utter. I... I am not even acquainted with the visage of the gentleman in question."

"What?!" Bella exclaimed, genuine surprise etched across her countenance.

"I encountered him on a mere two occasions at the St. Angelica Orphanage, each time concealed behind a mask. Despite our brief acquaintance, I am convinced he is the gentleman destined for my affections, yet he persists in spurning my advances," lamented Eliza with a wistful sigh.

Bella fixed her gaze upon Eliza, unblinking scrutiny preceding her response, "I shall impart you a truth, my dear – you have at last surrendered your reason to the fantastical realms of your romantic tomes, you witless ninnyhammer."

Eliza's countenance darkened as she frowned, "There is no need for insults."

Bella nonchalantly shrugged her shoulders, "What other utterance befits the situation? You chase after desires you scarcely comprehend, Eliza. Your elusive suitor possesses more discernment than you. I wager he revels somewhere, amused that the belle of London has fallen for him with no efforts beyond donning a mask and assuming an air of indifference."

Eliza winced at the sting of her sister's words, recognising the necessity of facing the harsh truth. The notion of severing ties with the enigmatic Magician weighed heavily on her heart, and the prospect of never crossing paths with him again fuelled her frustration. Yet, she acknowledged the imprudence of harbouring hope for a change in his sentiments.

Suppressing the lump that lodged itself in her throat, Eliza spoke with a resolve tempered by the reality of her situation. "Mayhaps I am indeed a fool, as you suggest, but I solemnly swear on all that is dear to me that my interest and sentiments for that man are sincere. Nevertheless, I am endeavouring to banish him from my thoughts. When the opportune moment arises to converse with St. Arcey, I shall lay bare the circumstances. As for Emmett, the path to elucidating the matters will be prolonged, for he has embarked on diplomatic missions in Europe, and the duration of his absence remains uncertain. All I seek from these gentlemen is a singular boon - tranquillity for an extended period."

Bella, tempted to interject with a sardonic remark about Eliza's potential entry into a convent due to the shortness of pause between the social seasons that would grant only a little respite, refrained as Jens abruptly burst into the salon at that very moment.

"Pardon the intrusion, Your Ladyships, but Mr. Phineas Gillespie has arrived in the company of his intended."

"Ah, indeed. They have honoured my summons," swiftly replied Eliza, and shortly thereafter, she welcomed the guests into the adjacent, more intimate salon, where the air was noticeably cooler.

Phineas's affianced was a mere twenty years of age, possessing a delicate countenance with fair, blonde locks—a quintessential embodiment of rustic charm. Eliza indulged in the occasional loquaciousness that accompanied the young miss, her conversation imbued with the typical banter of the countryside. Though at times overly talkative, Eliza did not mind it at all, for the fact that her own musings often meandered in various directions, frequently returning to thoughts of the enigmatic Magician.

Seeking a confidante within her own kin, Eliza believed Bella, the mischievous younger sister, to be a suitable contender. However, the sharpness of Bella's reaction caught her off guard. Much like the Magician, Bella opined that Eliza was hopelessly naive and as unstable as a leaf in the wind.

Good heavens, Eliza thought with a tinge of frustration, It appears even the enchantment of that kiss with the Magician was yet another of my ill-fated decisions. How many more await me on this winding path?

"Pray, Eliza, is there some vexation troubling you? It appears as if the details of our wedding embellishments have distressed you deeply," Phineas inquired, genuine concern etched on his countenance.

Eliza, attempting to compose herself, shook her head. "No, not at all, I... um..." she hesitated, her words faltering.

Bella, ever the provocateur, interjected with a sly smirk, "She's merely envious of your impending nuptials. Alas, she is destined to remain unwed, bereft of her own matrimonial celebration."

Eliza shot her a disdainful glare, as though she had heard the words uttered by Aileen rather than Bella. In the midst of this exchange, Phineas' intended accidentally spilt her tea.

"But what of the Duke—"

"There's no need for you to speak on my behalf, and besides, it's utter nonsense," Eliza retorted to Bella, her words hissing with an intensity that revealed the depth of her displeasure.

"And where's the injury? You have nought to be ashamed of; you're enamoured with a gentleman you've not even laid eyes upon," Bella feigned ignorance, a playful glint in her eyes.

"Isabella!" Eliza exclaimed, her countenance now flushed with vexation. Phineas attempted to suppress a chuckle, while Eliza, unsure of how to navigate the situation delicately, found herself at a loss for words.

"Why, isn't it a romantic notion, Mr. Gillespie? Almost akin to a tale from the annals of ancient myth—perhaps the gentleman in question is none other than Zeus in disguise. After all, as the tales go, there exists no mortal man who could enrapture my sister," Bella teased mischievously.

Eliza, torn between amusement and admonishment, was poised to scold her sister once more, but Phineas interjected before she could utter a word.

"Lady Isabella, the course of affection often meanders in unexpected ways, a truth I've come to appreciate firsthand," he remarked with a gentle smile directed at his affianced. She reciprocated the gesture, and he continued, "The heart follows its own dictates; it seizes what it desires. You, too, shall encounter this phenomenon in due time, I am certain."

His words, however well-intentioned, descended upon Bella like a bracing chill, and the playful sparkle in her eyes swiftly gave way to a touch of sorrow.

"I may not tread the society for too long, but I've discerned that such sentiments will elude me, Phineas. I have resolved never to enter the bonds of matrimony," she confessed with a quiet resolve.

"Enough of these sentiments, my dear!" Elizabeth interjected forcefully as she entered the salon unexpectedly, her countenance reflecting both concern and admonishment.

Upon entering the drawing room, Elizabeth exchanged cordial greetings with Phineas and his affianced, infusing a fresh vivacity into the refined ambience. Throughout the remainder of the visit, Bella maintained a subdued demeanour, acutely aware of her sister's disapproving glances that lingered in the air. When the gathering concluded, and Bella retired to the seclusion of her chamber, she found herself promptly interrupted as the door swung open with a certain abruptness.

Eliza, regal in her presence, stood in the doorway, fixing Isabella with an intense gaze akin to the scrutiny she had experienced earlier.

"Why have you resolved against matrimony? Has some gentleman inflicted injury upon your heart?" Eliza inquired, her voice firm yet tinged with concern.

Bella sighed, settling onto the plush bedding. "No one has caused me harm, sister. It is a matter of personal choice and conviction."

"You avert your gaze, revealing a reluctance to speak the truth. Pray, who has caused you such distress?" Eliza pressed, settling beside her sister.

With a sigh, Bella turned to regard her elder sister, her eyes reflecting a melancholy that bespoke inner turmoil. "If anyone has wounded me, it is none other than myself."

Persisting in her concern, Eliza probed further, "Why do you withhold the details from me? I shall proffer counsel of the utmost sagacity, regardless of the tribulations that may beset you."

An irritated snap escaped Bella's lips as she retorted, "Because I am disinclined to discuss it. Unlike you, Eliza, my thoughts and sentiments reside in their proper place, unlike yours."

Eliza inclined her head in silent acknowledgement, gracefully rising from her seat. As she approached the door, she paused with deliberate slowness, fixing her gaze upon Bella.

"You do me an injustice," she asserted, her tone measured and resolute.

"You've not provided cause for me to amend my position yet," Bella retorted, a swell of indignation coursing through her.

The final retort from Eliza materialised in the forceful closure of the door, the resounding echo marking the conclusion of their exchange. Shortly thereafter, another guest graced the bedchamber and reclined beside Bella on the sumptuous bed.

"She appeared rather perturbed, that sister of ours—pray, have you disclosed the matter to her?" inquired Aileen, turning her gaze towards her twin.

"Nay, what purpose would that serve?" Bella responded with a sniff, her eyes turning away from her flame-haired twin as she drifted into contemplation.

Aileen sighed, gently tucking a stray strand of Bella's hair behind her solemn countenance. "Have you penned yet another missive to him?"

"Indeed, I have," Bella replied in a hushed tone, "the very last one, I swear. Thirteen letters composed by my hand, all met with nothing but silence," she lamented with a pained snort.

Aileen enveloped her sister in a tight embrace as Bella rested her head gently upon Aileen's arm. "Pray, why do you keep this secret to yourself? Perhaps our father—"

Bella shook her head resolutely. "I desire no interference in this matter. He himself has to come to his wits one day. And once he does, I shall demand timeless devotion, his unwavering attention... to have him implore for my love, beseeching another chance, and weeping as I withhold it. I shall never settle for anything less."

A shiver ran down Aileen's spine at her sister's steadfast proclamation. "My dear, you might be demanding too much from that man."

Bella nodded knowingly. "I am aware, my dear. Hence, I may very well remain unwed. Unless I fall for someone else, that is."

A heavy silence settled between the two sisters, thick with unspoken sentiments, as Aileen swallowed the emotions that rose within her throat, contemplating in quiet solidarity with her determined twin.

Indeed, the red-haired maiden harboured mysteries known only to herself, adept at veiling them with a finesse surpassing even her emotionally charged sister. These secrets lay entrenched in realms far removed from the boundaries of propriety—a terrain so distant that their revelation could potentially provoke a scandal of monumental proportions, drawing upon the ire and censure of her parents.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.4K 3.4K 28
[2022 Wattys Shortlist Finalist] In this mash-up of Bridgerton and Enola Holmes set during the Regency, Robin Ballard is sent to London to spend the...
156K 12.1K 74
Forever changed by his capture at the hands of the French, Viscount Carlisle is no longer the naive, carefree idiot who left the shores of England. H...
137K 11.5K 43
After narrowly escaping an assassination, a new king in disguise escapes to his childhood home only to discover that his unwanted betrothed has been...