In Magician's Embrace [BOOK 1...

By Sylvia-Norcroft

° ° ° AMBYS 2023 WINNER ° ° ° Eliza Price, daughter of the Duke of Hertfordshire, finds herself entangled in... More

FOREWORD & TWs
0. Prologue (It All Began With A Letter)
1. Chapter (January Of Affections)
2. Chapter (The Hand Most Sought In Matrimony)
3. Chapter (The Ball)
4. Chapter (At The Red Cat)
5. Chapter (A Valuable Visitor)
6. Chapter (Meeting Sir Dodger)
7. Chapter (Two Old Rivals)
8. Chapter (The Lovers)
9. Chapter (Old Gossiper's Ball)
10. Chapter (The Magician And His Tricks)
11. Chapter (The History Of The Three Families)
12. Chapter (About Miss Morris)
13. Chapter (One Solicitor's Woes)
14. Chapter (The Clash of Siblings)
15. Chapter (A Temporary Truce)
16. Chapter (Of Mice And Rodents)
17. Chapter (The Grays' Ball)
18. Chapter (Abduction)
19. Chapter (Rejecting A Nightmare)
20. Chapter (The Price Sisters)
21. Chapter (Being Tender May Cost You A Heart)
22. Chapter (A Confession Of An Old Friend)
23. Chapter (The Past That Stings Still)
24. Chapter (More Tricks For Your Mind)
25. Chapter (Frailty Mind, Broken Form)
26. Chapter (Vacationing In Hertford)
27. Chapter (Those Lovely Eyes Of Yours)
28. Chapter (Ah, Those Clandestine Affairs)
30. Chapter (A Sisterly Spat)
31. Chapter (Haughtiness In Hertford)
32. Chapter (Words That Incite Sentiments)
33. Chapter (My Dear Enemy)
34. Chapter (The Betrayal Most Unexpected)
35. Chapter (High Stakes Gamble)
36. Chapter (Weak, Feeble and Soft)
37. Chapter (The Chest)
38. Chapter (You Belong To Me)
39. Chapter (The Ravishing Of Lady E)
40. Chapter (To The Devil With The Scoundrels)
41. Chapter (Ladies Price)
42. Chapter (The Fallen Pretence)
43. Chapter (Good People In Danger)
44. Chapter (Heavy Revelations)
45. Chapter (Of Little Dove And Broken Son)
46. Chapter (Seeking Miss Morris)
47. Chapter (The True Deuce of Grays)
48. Chapter (The Battles Of Resolves)
49. Chapter (The Gallows Of Hearts)
50. Chapter (Lord Gray's Musings)
51. Chapter (An Unlikely Rescuer)
52. Chapter (You Don't Choose Your Enemy)
53. Chapter (Returned From The Grave)
54. Chapter (A Sinister Shot)
55. Chapter (Almost Three Months Later)
56. Chapter (What Was Hidden In The Chest)
57. Chapter (The Wedding and The Feast)
58. Chapter (The Feast Continues)
59. Epilogue I (The Unexpected Betrayal)
60. Epilogue II (Isabella, I Implore You)
AUTHOR'S NOTE & FAMILY TREE

29. Chapter (Things You Do For The Family)

81 8 122
By Sylvia-Norcroft

When Rose Gray entered the breakfast chamber, she had not anticipated discovering her husband seated at the table, perusing various periodicals. The sight of this man, who had become somewhat of a stranger, occupying the head of the table left her in a state of profound surprise. Conrad had ceased the habit of rising early for quite some time, preoccupied as he was with the allure of gaming establishments and establishments of ill repute.

Fortunately, the funds he squandered on his unsustainable indulgences originated from the sale of timber sourced from his family's business, rather than investments and land rentals, as was the case with Rose's finances. Furthermore, Conrad harboured no concerns, as Felix, a loyal associate akin to his dutiful subordinate, managed all affairs diligently, presenting him with funds at the conclusion of each quarter year, or so.

Upon inquiring of her son whether he deemed his father's actions morally justifiable, Rose was met with a nonchalant shrug. Felix displayed remarkable passivity and leniency toward his father's transgressions, maintaining a positive rapport with him. His intermittent presence at home left him unaware of the dense, almost palpably strained atmosphere between Rose and Conrad.

Had Daniel not made an unexpected appearance one evening, she might not be amongst the living today. Drunken Conrad had asserted that all the family wealth was rightfully his, fuelled by the notion that, as they were wed, a husband inherently owned his wife's property. Yet, his eldest son elucidated with a few well-directed blows that Conrad's claims were baseless—his entitlement reached only as far as his personal allowance, with no right to Rose's funds. Surprisingly, Conrad's family possessed meagre assets in contrast to the Sullivans, who amassed wealth throughout their lives; the only noteworthy possession of Conrad's family was a prestigious title.

Vile, loathsome man, she thought, steeling herself, and took a deep breath before approaching the table.

"Good morrow, Conrad. It's a wonder you can still rise in the morning," she remarked, settling down across from him at the far end of the table.

She regarded him from what she deemed a safe distance, harbouring the hope that her sons would imminently join the gathering. Rose wished to avoid protracted conversation with a man who had, on numerous occasions, raised his hand against her. Conrad, diverting his attention from the paper, fixed her with a glassy stare.

"I am still quite capable of things, do not trouble yourself," he croaked, and Rose perceived it as a veiled threat.

"For instance, to strike me," she responded softly so it hadn't reached her husband's ears.

"Excuse me?" he inquired, furrowing his brow.

"Where are the breakfasts? My appetite is awakening," she declared louder, ensuring that the maids, who were promptly setting the table, could hear her.

"I thought you would wait for Daniel and Felix."

"They shall be joining us shortly, I am confident of it."

And she was correct – as the final plate graced the table, both sons had already taken their seats. Deliberately, they positioned themselves nearer to their mother, one on each side, albeit for a different reasoning - Daniel provided safety, while Felix sought validation. The spread before them was thrice as abundant as that which adorned the head of the table where Conrad presided. Though a scowl adorned Conrad's countenance, he chose silence, merely unfurling his napkin and commencing his meal.

"Any intriguing tidings in the correspondence?" Felix inquired of his mother, his speech somewhat muffled by a mouthful.

"After breakfast, I shall peruse it. I trust you're not anticipating a missive of romantic inclination," she playfully teased, a smile gracing her features.

"Three, to be precise," Daniel interjected on behalf of his brother, who, at that very moment, found himself briefly taken aback, coughing on a mouthful of bread. "Every gentleman aspires to emulate him, and every lady aspires to accompany him."

"Let's not exaggerate, shall we? Some ladies would do better by pretending I'm invisible," Felix murmured.

"Are you speaking of that robust elder dame who monopolised you for nearly the entire evening at our ball?" Rose inquired, a playful glint in her eye, to which Felix shot her a disapproving glance.

"Wouldn't you rather secure my company for a lady like Aileen Price or Isabella Price? The very notion that I couldn't freely relish myself at my own mother's ball was utterly outrageous," Felix continued grumbling.

"And what of Lady Eliza Price?" Rose asked, her curiosity piqued.

Felix chuckled in response.

"But mama, I must leave some lady for Daniel, should I not? Moreover, there seems to be a spark between them, did you not notice? He is her great admirer and protector..." Felix didn't finish as he burst into laughter at his brother's annoyed expression.

"Pray, refrain from such frivolous talk, Felix. I do not hold favourable sentiments toward that lady, and furthermore, St. Arcey has shown an interest in her," Daniel stated in a serious tone.

Rose attentively observed her son's countenance, for only a person bereft of sight and hearing could remain oblivious to the palpable tension between her son and the lady in question. Even amidst company, they exchanged sharp and clever words, and whispers had already begun circulating that Lord Daniel Gray was the sole gentleman in London impervious to Eliza's usual enchantments. Yet, as Rose discreetly observed him during moments of Eliza's distress, she discerned that the severe countenance in his eyes yielded to one of genuine concern and, perhaps, apprehension.

This time, however, his expression reverted to its stern demeanour, deepening Rose's suspicion that his aversion to Eliza was not solely based on her being a Price. Could he be contemplating a match between the young lady and his companion, with whom he had spent time only last week? Was it rooted in that unfortunate past experience of his own? The silence lingering between them was finally shattered by the resonant voice of Conrad:

"Pray, will someone enlighten me as to when our return to Newcastle is scheduled?"

No eager respondent emerged, prompting a decisive pound upon the table, causing plates and cutlery to chime. In response, Daniel promptly rose from his seat.

"How dare you," Daniel began, but Conrad interjected, rising from the table as well.

"How dare I? I've granted you ample time to enjoy yourself in London, but my patience is at its limit. So, when do we set forth for our abode?" he demanded.

Felix regarded his father with a furrowed brow, noting his inebriated state once again, evidenced by his volatile demeanour. It appeared Conrad could scarcely recall his son's fabricated reason for their prolonged stay in the city!

"You shall need to return unaccompanied," Daniel retorted sharply.

"As for you and your brother, you may proceed as you wish, but your mother and I are departing."

Daniel cast the napkin onto the table and advanced towards his father, prompting Rose and Felix to rise from their chairs, apprehensive of a potential physical altercation between father and son.

The older son squarely confronted Conrad. "Orders are not given in this household since the moment you first laid hands on mother. No one compels you to stay against your desire—if you persist in departing, I can expedite the arrangements quite promptly," he declared with unwavering resolve.

Conrad disdainfully curled his lip. "Do you believe you can uphold your mother's wishes indefinitely?" he queried, but without waiting for a response, he turned on his heel and departed the dining room.

Daniel exchanged glances with Rose and then with Felix, who appeared quite befuddled. Before Daniel could speak, Felix inquired, "Pray, mama, does father mistreat you?"

Rose let out a weary sigh. "Indeed, Conrad has displayed aggression towards me for many years. Were it not for your brother, I might have faced considerable harm long ago. That's why he returned to Newcastle, to avert any peril befalling me, counting on you joining this endeavour as well."

Her revelation caused the younger son to furrow his brow. "Why did you not inform me?" he inquired anxiously, his tone tinged with a sense of betrayal.

Approaching him, she gently laid her hands upon his shoulders, but he shrugged them off with a swift motion. "I wished not to weigh you down with such matters. You, after all, have your own aspirations, and besides, you are his preferred. I fretted that you might not even credit my words, that you would contrive justifications for his actions. Even now, I perceive a lingering doubt in your gaze," she explained.

"And you wonder why that is when you and Daniel keep secrets from me? I am well aware that my father is a man of questionable character, but physical violence? Indeed, you could level a more credible accusation," Felix asserted, though his voice quivered. "Why would he be confrontational towards you? Is it due to financial matters – his perennial lack thereof, and your reluctance to provide more?"

"Felix, it's not like that—," Daniel began, but his mother interjected.

"Finances do play a part, but there's another aspect rooted in our shared history, one I'm not prepared to discuss at this moment. Not even your brother is privy to the full story," she added, sensing Felix was on the verge of protest.

Her younger son, sighed with exasperation, while Daniel cast a perplexed glance at their mother. He was aware that Felix wasn't originally planned, but the cryptic nature of Rose's words left him puzzled.

"I remain in a state of bewilderment, and truthfully, I am disinclined to lend belief to your words. Is there some undisclosed matter within the confines of this family that eludes my understanding and merits contemplation?" Felix dryly inquired.

Rose gently shook her head. "No, there isn't. The moment my memory unveils something, I shall duly inform both of you. For now, I shall retire to the parlour to peruse the mail – you are welcome to accompany me, and I shall promptly hand you any correspondence of an amorous nature," she attempted a smile, though it manifested somewhat askew.

Her sons refrained from smiles but dutifully trailed behind her into the parlour, relieved that there was no urgent agenda demanding their attention that morning. Seated on the couch, Rose was joined by the butler, who presented her with a more modest stack of mail than usual. With a swift perusal, she scanned the contents with her discerning gaze.

"I regret to inform you that there are no romantic epistles, my dear sons. However, there is something of note," she remarked, singling out a particular announcement from the pile and unfurling it.

"Is it a matter of gravity?," inquired Felix, effectively diverting his brother's unspoken attempt to broach the subject of Conrad's alleged transgressions against their mother.

"Nay, quite the contrary. It's an invitation from Lord John Price to spend some time at his summer estate in Hertford. It's his way of reciprocating for our family's stay at our place," Rose elucidated.

Felix looked rather surprised, but Daniel frowned.

"And shall you honour the invitation?" Felix inquired further, sensing her answer already.

Rose sighed.

"I believe both of you know how much your father will want to travel to Hertford after this morning. I want both of you to go there," she said.

"By no means," Daniel immediately objected, "we need someone to stay here in case father wants to settle scores with you. Let Felix go."

His younger brother cast a disapproving look upon him, and their mother expressed her disagreement with a subtle shake of her head.

"Daniel, as the future Duke and head of the household, you must go, and do not dare express otherwise," Rose countered his objections. "Felix and I will manage; trust me. However, you now have a unique opportunity to go and discover what the Prices are like behind closed doors of their abode."

"So, I am to observe them," Daniel remarked with a nonchalant shrug. "I had been under the impression that they are our esteemed friends, trustworthy and true in their words," he added ironically.

She rolled her eyes, finding his obstinacy wearing on her quickly.

"Sometimes, my son, I wish you were less stubborn and more refined. I understand there are many activities you would prefer over this rather arduous task. However, in the pursuit of... our delicate matter... it would be most beneficial if you prolong your stay there as much as possible."

She hesitated to articulate the term "chest" aloud, cautious that Conrad might be lingering nearby, thus minimising the likelihood of him inadvertently overhearing. Daniel shook his head, but eventually yielded to his mother's request with a deep sigh. He couldn't defy his mother's wishes; if she was directing him into potentially perilous territory filled with vipers, she must have had a compelling reason. However, the rationale behind her instructions only became clear in the afternoon when she sought him out in the library to further expound on the matters at hand. Seated in a chair, Daniel was immersed in his contemplations—he would have delved into some weighty tome, if he could, but alas, letters and numbers proved elusive to him.

"It occurred to me in the silent hours of the night when sleep eluded me—John Price alluded to a red-haired maiden who once served in Reginald's employ, only to vanish mysteriously. I concede it sounds improbable, yet presently, she emerges as the sole thread to untangle the entirety of this enigma," she confided, her voice lowered in confidentiality.

He responded with a sardonic smirk, sarcasm subtly woven into his countenance. "And now you question him? If indeed he concealed her, what conceivable reason would he have to extend us an invitation for a visit?"

"Prudent scepticism is warranted in this matter. The individual in question may attend to the needs of that family without the prying eyes of outsiders ever falling upon her. Exercise caution, my dear, but maintain vigilance. Seek to ascertain whether the Prices have engaged the services of a new young maid, particularly one with auburn tresses. However, refrain from taking any further action—do not even engage in conversation with her. Simply apprise me of your findings," she advised.

Daniel regarded his mother with an inquisitive gaze, recognising the weight the entire chest affair carried in her heart, robbing her of peaceful sleep. If he intended to assist her and secure his own well-being, it was high time to prepare for the impending journey.

"The anticipation of our malefactor's appearance is truly wearing on my spirits, Daniel. Hence, I am seizing every thought, and every notion that might propel us forward in some manner. Thus, it would be most advantageous if you prolonged your stay in Hertford for as extensive a period as circumstances allow," she reiterated her desire, and he couldn't dismiss it, particularly as it held such significance for her.

If it were solely his decision, he would willingly cast aside the entire affair of the missing chest in that moment. However, the prospect of the Prices obtaining it sooner came to mind. The opportunity to reclaim their possessions would be irretrievably lost, compelling him to nod in agreement. He even found himself warming to the notion that a change of surroundings might be beneficial for his mood. The only cloud overshadowing his sentiments was the anticipation of spirited and piquant debates with his adversary—Lady Eliza Price.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 4.3K 64
Medieval England - Year 1450: Eleanor was a poor shopkeeper's daughter whose only hope for a better life for herself and her family was to marry well...
3.1M 130K 65
Lady Eliza Turner has no interest in finding herself a wealthy husband, she has her books, her best friend Charlotte, and plenty of opinions on what...
783K 32K 31
Wren and Kenna hated each other in high school. Now mature-ish adults, they still hate each other. The problem? They're engaged. A year away from mar...
202K 9.3K 14
(COMPLETED) It's 1817 and there is nothing more a woman wants than to marry a rich man and live a life of comfort. But not Nancy Brooks. Having spe...