[Arthdal Chronicles] Fight fo...

By parkmingyeong94

" I am an Igutu. Just like you, Tagon." Tagon's secret is not a secret for everyone but as he can't take the... More

Notes
CHAPTER 1 : It all begins. (EDITED 01.22)
CHAPTER 2 : The beginning of a friendship? (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 3: Too late. (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 4: An ambush (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 5: Option two. (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 6: Merciless. (EDITED 05/22)
CHAPTER 7: Reunion. (EDITED 05/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 1 : Run. (EDITED 05/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 2 : An angel? (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 3: Broken. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 4: A promise. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 5: Was that love? (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 6: "I killed them all" (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 7: Getting closer. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 8: Nothing but us. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 9 : Breaking the rules. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 10 : A meaningful dream. (EDITED 06/22)
FLASHBACK CHAPTER 11: A promise to find each other again. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 8 : A secret that shouldn't have been heard. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 9: A new High Priestess. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 10: Interesting ideas. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 11: Meetings despite the risks. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 12: Caught. (EDITED 06/22)
CHAPTER 13: A Daekan sister. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 14: The calm before the storm. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 15: A turning point. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 16: A new guard for the High Priestess. (EDITED 07/22)
Chapter 17: Choosing a path. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 18: Allies. (EDITED 07/22)
CHAPTER 19: Bringing back the calm in the Union.
CHAPTER 20: An imminent separation.
CHAPTER 21: A declaration of silent war.
CHAPTER 22: A King for Arthdal.
CHAPTER 23: A strong will.
CHAPTER 24: The rise of Asa Sin's descendant begins.
CHAPTER 25: The truth behind the lies.
CHAPTER 26: A sudden proposal.
CHAPTER 27: Learning how to be an Igutu.
CHAPTER 28: A coalition.
CHAPTER 29: A trap slowly closing.
CHAPTER 30: An effective curse
CHAPTER 31: A first victory for the Queen of Arthdal.
CHAPTER 32: The Spirits of Flowers Ceremony.
CHAPTER 33: Changing things will take time.
CHAPTER 34: A worrying dream and a deal.
CHAPTER 35: An unavoidable fate?
CHAPTER 36: A royal wedding.
CHAPTER 37: The fight had just begun.
CHAPTER 38: A pain always there.
CHAPTER 39: A step back, two steps forward.
Chapter 40: Friendship and love.
CHAPTER 41: A decision to try.
CHAPTER 43: Consequences.
CHAPTER 44: A decision, a kiss and a brokenheart.
CHAPTER 45: Eunseom.
CHAPTER 46: Things are going to be more complicated than planned.
CHAPTER 47: A reunion as wanted as dreaded.
CHAPTER 48: The twins meeting.
CHAPTER 49: Painful words.
CHAPTER 50: The members of the pack support each other.
CHAPTER 51: The cause you chose to fight for.
CHAPTER 52: An act of war.
CHAPTER 53: Shared grief.

Chapter 42: A secret knowledge.

167 5 199
By parkmingyeong94

The morning after, the atmosphere was heavy in the room. Worried, Yangcha looked at Enoria as she was arming herself, immersed in her thoughts. With Whan, they had a long conversation in the evening about the best strategy to adopt since they had in their hands something that both, Taealha and Tagon, wanted. 

To give it to the Queen was keeping the hope that she would free the people she held hostages but it was betraying both, Tagon and Tanya, who weren't aware of the deal Enoria had made with Taealha, while not giving it to her was sentencing the captives to death.

To give it to Tagon was just using the secret as an advantage as, one way or another, the King would get the hand on it since the Daekans who were watching over Yeolson would inform him of his progress.

They had decided that both would have it. That way, they hoped it would limit the bad consequences that knowledge could have. They had made copies of it: one to give to Tanya, for her to give it to Tagon, one other to send to Eneam so that they could eventually become independent for weapons fabrication.

Yangcha took a deep breath and sighed. As much as he wanted to believe the King would show himself forgiving because of the affection he had for Enoria, he was still worried about what he could do to her if he couldn't find a benefit to her betrayal. "Enoria, are you sure about this?" he asked, breaking the silence.

"I'm not sure about anything," she replied, her voice tinged with uncertainty, "all I know is that I can't abandon my people even if that means I have to give a precious asset to Taealha."

"Tagon will see this as a betrayal."

"I know," she said in a low voice. 

"The consequences for you cou-"

"I know!" she sharply cut him off, "we already talked about it and I already told you that I'll face the consequences!" she raised her voice before she let out a heavy sigh. "I am sorry," she said as she approached him and cupped his face into her hands, "I know you are trying hard not to tie me to a chair right now."

"I am still thinking about doing it," he replied.

Enoria let out a small laugh. "I wouldn't blame you and to be honest, in other circumstances, I am not even sure I would dislike it," she joked with a small smile. The corner of his lips slightly raised but his expression quickly returned to a serious one. "Tagon will not kill or torture me. It's not in his interest to do so, don't worry," she tried to reassure.

"I am trying," he replied as he, too, cupped her face into his hands and squeezed her cheeks a little, making her smile.

"Thank you," she said before she leaned in and kissed him.

-----------------------------------------------------------

She accompanied Yangcha to take over his duties. It was still early and Sana was not out of her room yet. When she knocked at the Priestess' door and announced herself, she was soon authorized to enter while, because he wouldn't be able to participate in the conversation, Yangcha stayed outside, replacing the night guards who were sent to rest.

"It's still quite early for a visit," Saya noted after she had closed the door behind her. 

"I know. I am sorry. I didn't mean to disturb you but I had something important to share," Enoria replied.

"What is it?" Tanya inquired, nervous at her friend's seriousness.

Enoria looked at the High Priestess. She didn't know if she should speak in front of Saya or not and so, she asked in her mind with the hope Tanya would hear it. They never communicated like that. She didn't like it and she still wondered how Yangcha had actually got used to it. When she saw Tanya discreetly nod, she closed the distance between the couple and herself. "This," she said as she took the scroll out of her pocket and handed it over to the Priestess, "the secret of the steel, or at least a part of what it could be. A Daekan is going to inform Tagon of your father's progress so be sure to give that to him before he does. It will show Tagon that he can trust you since you made a deal with him."

Tanya unrolled the scroll she now had in hands and looked at the characters drawn on it. She thought she recognized some of them but she couldn't read what was written and she wondered how such a thing could have so much value for the people of Arthdal. Saya came closer to her and seeing his interest, she handed him over the scroll and the smile with which he read showed how fascinated he was by the knowledge he held into his hands.

"Does it truly work?" Saya asked.

"I do not know. He only made five swords that way for now," Enoria replied.

"With that, my father will have the upper hand over Tae-"

"I am going to give it to her," Enoria interrupted, "I am sorry but I don't have any other choices."

"Because of your friends she held captives?" Saya questioned, "don't be a fool, she won't give them back to you even if you giv-"

"I know," she cut him off, "I am not a fool. I know she may not free them but if I don't give it to her and she learns Tagon has it, she'll execute them and that's something I can't tolerate."

"So you are doing that to win them a few days?"

"Saya!" Tanya scolded.

"Giving that to Taealha is to betray my father, there will be consequences," Saya continued, ignoring Tanya's scolding.

"Consequences I am ready to face," Enoria replied.

"Are you really? Only death awaits traitors. You won't be able to help your people if you are dead and that knowledge is worth more than the lives of a few peo-"

"Not for me," she sharply cut him off, "Tagon may be angry but he won't take the risk of having me killed or tortured if he wants the color of his blood to stay a secret and we all know that it is something he really wants to keep secret."

"Will you tell him that you betrayed him?" Saya asked.

"Yes, I will. I think it's better if he hears it from me."

Saya sighed, not even trying to hide his frustration and he went to sit. It exasperated him to lose an asset for a bunch of random and useless people that Enoria would probably never manage to free anyway.

Tanya approached Enoria and took her hands in hers. Unlike Saya, she understood why she obeyed Taealha. She would have done the same thing if the Wahans were the ones captives. She maybe wasn't able to help Enoria getting her people back but maybe she could try to find a way to make sure Tagon would not punish her for giving the secret of the steel to Taealha. "What is going to happen to my father once I will have given that to Tagon?" she asked as Enoria was not the only one for whom she was worried.

"My father will win nothing by hurting him," Saya replied.

"I agree," Enoria added, "for now, your father is the only one who actually made those steel swords. Even with the method of fabrication, it could take time before someone manages to copy it since it's apparently complicated to control the fire that makes the stones melt."

Tanya nodded but she wished her father had never discovered how to make weapons. "Thank you for having brought me that. You should go, you are going to be late," she said.

That time it was Enoria who nodded. She wished the Priestess and the Prince a good day before she left them.

"It's such a shame she is going to give that to Taealha," Saya deplored once the door was closed. 

"She has no other choice, Saya."

"She has! She is wasting a precious asset because she is just refusing to see the truth: the ones she calls her friends are already dead. Taealha will never let them go. As long as Enoria obeys her, she'll keep them alive but at the moment Enoria does something that displeases her, she'll kill them."

"Why is Taealha doing that?"

"To assert her power. Enoria dared to oppose her in the past and now that Taealha has something to use against her, she won't stop until she would have broken her spirit."

"She won't be able to do that, Enoria i-"

"She is already at her limits, Tanya," Saya interrupted, "for now she is making efforts and keeping her composure but Taealha will keep pushing her until she breaks. She is smart but impulsive, Taealha will play on that."

"There must be something we ca-"

"If we try to do something, we will be Taealha's next targets and that's probably exactly what she wants. If we want to go after her, we have to be sure to win. Let's wait and see. My father may find a way to keep her under control since he won't need her anymore for the fabrication of weapons."

Tanya sat again, loudly sighing. She hated the fact there was nothing much she could do to help her friend escape the Queen's claws and all she could do was wait.

Saya noticed how concerned she was but he didn't know what he could say to reassure her. He looked at her hand resting on the table. He hesitated for a short moment before he decided to put his hand on hers. She seemed a bit surprised at first but when she looked at him with a smile, he smiled back, happy that he could at least bring her a bit of comfort.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Enoria walked to the Fortress of Fire with worried steps. The scroll she had in her pocket could be the key to free her people from Taealha's grip and yet, deep inside she already knew that it wouldn't be enough, that she was just clinging to a tiny hope that she would be able to reunite Whan with his little sister.

As she was escorted to the Queen's office, she ignored the warriors eyeing her. From the time she spent in the Fortress obeying Taealha's annoying orders, she had come to know how the Hae warriors saw her. For most of them, she was "the Daekans' whore". Someone they would like to play with, not because they were truly interested in her but just to annoy the Daekans. Tagon's Daekans were known to be elite warriors. They were competent, loyal, proud and maybe a little bit haughty. Every time there was a recruitment, many warriors from every tribe applied but only a few passed the tests with success. Those who failed left with bitter feelings, hating the group they hadn't been able to join. Because of that, the Daekans didn't only have friends among the other warriors. Rivalry was common between the different groups of warriors and some spent time trying to find ways to humiliate the others.

She had already severely reprimanded some of the Hae warriors for their wandering hands when she passed by them but her threats amused them and they often asked her if the Daekans would start a war if they were to play with their pretty toy. Yangcha himself would kill them all for their words and acts and that was exactly why she had not told him about the Hae warriors' doings.

She gritted her teeth and resisted the urge to lash out at the warriors. She knew that any wrong move on her part could have consequences: Taealha would not forgive her if she cut some hands or pulled off some tongues. She kept her head high but walked silently, following the warrior escorting her to the Queen's office. He had already escorted her several times and every time he was around when she was working in the Fortress, the others seemed to be way more docile. Unlike the others, he treated her with a minimum of respect, which she appreciated. 'We are not animals, behave yourselves', he had told his comrades, but though they made efforts when he was near, when he was not they just returned to their disgusting self. If she recalled well what she had heard, his name was Geon and from the way the others acted towards him, he had a high position in the Hae's hierarchy.

"Wait here," he told her, forcing her to get out of her thoughts, "I'll announce your presence to the Queen." 

She silently nodded and waited outside for a short moment. When he came out, Hae Tuak by his side, he told her to enter. She hesitated for a short moment. Every time she entered that office, she had the feeling of walking into the tiger's den. She took a deep breath and straightened herself. She was a wolf and she wouldn't fear a tiger.

Geon closed the door behind her, leaving her alone with the Queen. She was sitting behind her large desk, again with the same victorious smile on her face. As much as it annoyed her, Enoria remained impassive and greeted her with a small bow. 

"What brings you here, sweetie? Were you so impatient to have your tasks of the day? Do you like so much to work in my Fortress?" Taealha mocked.

No, she didn't. She hated that place, she hated the people there and she hated the owner of the place as well and she would have liked to scream that to her face but on that too, she restrained herself. "The secret of the steel," Enoria said as she took out the scroll from her pocket.

"Ah, already?" she asked with a surprised tone. She stood up, walked around her desk but didn't approach. "Does Tagon already have it?"

"Just a matter of time."

"Is the High Priestess herself going to give it to him? How smart and cute, she is trying to win his trust," Taealha mocked, "what about you? Aren't you worried about what he'll do to you once he'll learn you betrayed him to give me a secret he thought would be his?"

"I had no deal with him."

"True. He had one with the High Priestess, not with you. And you're his precious Daekan Lady. I am sure you don't have to worry that much. He'll forgive you. And if you fear for your life, you'll probably once more threaten him to reveal about his blood. Such a predictable little being," she jeered as she approached, "I expect no one else to know. If that secret was to come to others' ears, I will hold you responsible and I don't think it's necessary to remind you what I will do. Now give me that scroll," the Queen ordered with a cold tone.

But before she was able to take the scroll from her hands, the Igutu quickly withdrew it. "My people first," she hissed.

"Ah, that's right," Taealha said with a smile, "you are doing all of that for a bunch of useless people. It seems you forgot I told you I would just consider giving you your people."

"What the hell is it that you want then?!" Enoria raised her voice, "there's nothing more I can give you and you will get nothing from them!"

Taealha let out a small laugh before she took another step closer. She replaced a strand of Enoria's hair behind her ear. "I already get a lot from them. Look at you. You will do anything to free them. How pathetic are you? But you are groveling to me and yet, I still see the fire into your eyes. You obey but there's no sincerity in your doings, there's always a sort of pugnacity in you that I dislike. Even if I was to make you physically on your knees, your spirit will keep on standing, proud and confident, strong and haughty, won't it?"

"So is that what you want? To break my spirit?" she asked with gritted teeth.

"What I want is to remind you where your place is. I am the Queen and I am going to have you at my feet, both your body and mind, willingly or not."

"And I am the pathetic one?" she asked as angry tears came to her eyes, "if you have to constantly remind people you are the Queen, then you are not really one. If you were one you wouldn't feel the urge to step on others while using innocent people just to show you are superior to them!"

Taealha slapped Enoria's cheek without her stopping her gesture. When the Igutu looked at her again, Taealha grabbed her chin in her hand. "I am the Queen because I have power and you don't," she said with a self-satisfied smile, "and you and your little friends will soon understand that," she continued, releasing her prey's chin and straightening herself. "Be honest, sweetie, did you really think your coalition with Saya and Tanya would work? That the three of you would manage to make that city a haven of peace where everyone would live together as equals? How stupid and naïve are you? That will never happen. The people will never choose to go back to a sort of primitive way of life and even if they were, did you really think I would let you have your ways in my city? That we could all work together to build a peaceful world? Don't fool yourself, peace was never an option. Tagon has a weakness for you, that's why your evil whispers work on him but they will never work on me. By encouraging him to pursue his dream of winning the people' hearts, you made him look weak. I will rule that city with strength, not with weakness."

"Then you will never truly have that city," Enoria calmly replied, "what makes Arthdal a city is the people living there. A Queen doesn't rule on walls and empty streets but on people. Your title is meaningless without them."

Taealha laughed mockingly before she approached her face even closer to Enoria's. "If I wanted your advice I would have asked for them. Don't you dare try to lecture me like you do with Tagon. Now give me that scroll and get out, I gave you enough of my time."

"What about my people then?" Enoria asked as she once again withdrew her hand so that Taealha would not take the scroll.

"Give me that. Get out of that room and stay at the gates of the Fortress," Taealha repeated, "if you make me repeat again, you'll leave with your people's heads in a bag," she continued with a cunning smile on her face.

Enoria clenched her fists but she finally complied. She handed over the scroll to Taealha who kept a victorious smile on her face. If she could have, she would have liked pulling the Queen's heart out of her chest but she couldn't do that if she wanted her people to live and so she just left the room in silence, hiding the storm inside of her. 

No one saw her to the door that time and she waited outside of the Fortress, as she had been asked to. She passed back and forth in front of the gates and she didn't try to hide anymore her mix of annoyance, anger, despair and worry.

She had been waiting for a while when the door of the Fortress of Fire finally opened again. She took a step forward when she recognized two of her people being escorted by guards. When they spotted her too, they ran to their leader who welcomed them in her arms, inquiring about their well-being. The two reassured her: they weren't hurt and they had been fed enough. Enoria apologized for not having been able to rescue them before but they didn't hold her responsible, they were just glad they were now safe, even though it wasn't the case of everyone else yet.

"How touching," one of the Hae guards mocked.

"No one asked you what you thought," Enoria hissed.

The guard smirked before he approached. "Here," he said as he handed over a scroll, "a message from the Queen."

She took it from his hand and unfold it in a rush. 'One of them for the secret of the steel. One other for your useless advice. It's nice to play with you. I am impatient to see what else you will do to have the others back,' Enoria silently read.

"What does it say?" one of her people asked.

"Nothing important," she replied before she folded it back and put it into one of her pockets. She took the two by their hands and, after giving a dark look to the Hae guards, she led them away from the place where they had been held captives.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Once again, Whan sighed. "Keep your arm straight and your wrist firm!" he told Saya who immediately adjusted his posture.

"This will give you greater control over the blade and help you execute the movement more efficiently," Tanya added.

Whan looked at her, surprised but quite impressed. "Since when do you know about swordsmanship?" he asked her.

"I don't," she replied, "Yangcha does."

Whan exchanged a look with Yangcha whose eyes quickly returned to the training fight, then he looked back at the Priestess. "Ah, that's right, you're a mind-reader," he said as he remembered Enoria had told him to be careful with his thoughts around Tanya, "of course it was Yangcha. How could someone who saw a sword for the first time just a few months ago know anything about swordsmanship anyway? That would be nonsense," he murmured for himself before he looked at her again, "make me a favor: do not enter my mind."

"Why? Because I may not find anything smart in there?" she asked in all seriousness.

Taken aback by her words, Whan didn't immediately reply. He didn't know what annoyed him the most, her words or the fact he had heard Yangcha discreetly laughing behind her. He turned to her and sighed. "Remind me why Enoria appreciates you?"

"I am quite charming," she joked while keeping a serious face.

He looked at her up and down before he looked around then back at her. "Ah, I might well search for it, I don't see where your charm is," he said.

"Ah, then just like your sense of humor, it may have gone missing for a while."

A small smile she couldn't see appeared on Whan's face. Somehow she was different from what he had imagined her to be. He had pictured her as someone who always kept a serious face, a straight posture, her hair perfectly tied into a perfect bun. Someone haughty and boring. But she wasn't like that. She had a mischievous side and somehow, that was indeed maybe a bit charming. He shook his head as if to chase those thoughts away and he focused again on his task.

-----------------------------------------------------------

When Yangcha saw Enoria approaching, he worried. The expression on her face was proof that everything didn't go well during her meeting with the Queen. He exchanged a look with Whan who, from the expression in his eyes, must have understood as well.

"Well done, Saya," she praised the Prince with a small smile he shyly gave back, "you are getting better, keep going." 

Whan gave Saya a few directives for the next round, then asked two of his subordinates to take over. He joined Enoria who was already by Yangcha's right side while Tanya, who had been joined by Sana after she had visited the children of the stones factory, were sitting not far from them.

"How did it go?" Whan inquired, placing himself at her right.

"I gave it to her," Enoria replied, "she freed Eunsuh and HeeJin but she still has the others."

"That's a good thing we got them back," Whan said but the tone of his voice betrayed his sadness. He lowered his head and a tear fell on his cheek. "My poor Yihyun, she must be so scared and there's nothing her helpless brother can do."

"Unfortunately, her Queen is as helpless as his brother," Enoria replied as she took his hand in hers and lightly squeezed it to show support, "I am sorry for being unable to keep my promise so far."

"Don't be," he said as he shook his head, "I know you are doing everything you can."

Whatever she was doing, Enoria knew that it wasn't enough and that the more the days passed, the more Whan was losing hope of being reunited with his little sister. And yet, despite desperately wanting to rescue Yihyun, he had not tried anything reckless because a part of him still wanted to believe they would find a way to rescue her and the others but so far, they had found none.

Just next to her, Yangcha noticed the supporting gesture between the two. It didn't bother him to see them hand in hand. He knew they only saw each other as friends and he was glad that Enoria had someone like Whan in her surroundings. It pained him to see them both helpless, stuck in a situation that didn't seem to have a positive solution. By giving them two of their people, Taealha was keeping alive their hope to reunite with the rest of their people though he had the feeling she would crush that hope soon. He took a deep breath and sighed. That situation only had one way out: the deaths of the people Taealha kept captives. That was the only way Enoria would be free from that burden and he already knew it would hurt, not only her but Whan and Sana too, as well as all those other people he didn't know. He brushed his hand against hers. He wasn't that comfortable showing affection in public but no one noticed his gesture. Except her. He wanted her to know he was there no matter what would happen in the future. They exchanged a look. He saw that she was restraining her tears and yet, she smiled at him and murmured a small thank you that only he heard.

"Where are Eunsuh and HeeJin at the moment?" Whan asked, unaware of the small exchange of the two lovers.

"At the Great Shrine. I couldn't allow them to wander around Arthdal. Taealha would have them followed and they could lead her to some of us, again. Sending them back to Eneam is, for the same reason, too risky."

"Are they under watch?"

"Yes, they are," she replied as she lowered her head. They were free from Taealha but they were now locked in the Great Shrine on her own order. It was making them go from one prison to another and she hated the fact that Taealha was forcing her to do that.

That time it was Whan who slightly squeezed her hand. "That's what we have to do. Don't blame yourself. That's the right decision and I am sure they understand that," he tried to reassure before he freed his Queen's hand and wiped the tear at the corner of his eye. "So, what will she make you do next?"

"I am not that sure," she replied, "but whatever it is, I will have to comply."

"It would be way easier if I could just shot an arrow into her heart," Whan said, "that is if she truly has one of course."

"She must have one. A rotten one."

"You're right," he replied before they both exchanged small smiles, "soon or later, we'll find a way to free them." 

"And we'll make that bitch pay!" Sana added.

They all turned to her, surprised by her words.

"Sana, keep those unpretty words out of your pretty mouth," Enoria gently scolded, making the young warrior pout, "but you're right. We'll make that bitch pay," she continued with a small smile she wanted reassuring. They would make her pay but what she was afraid of was how much would she take from them before that.

"You can use unpretty words but I can't, how unfair!" Sana complained.

"Privilege of the elders," Enoria replied.

"And yet, she lies about her age every time she can," Sana murmured to Tanya who joined her in a small laugh.

"I do not lie," Enoria defended herself, amusing the people around her, "I just don't deny when people guess wrong. You can't understand that yet, you are all kids."

"Maybe you should sit so your back won't hurt," Whan mocked.

"My back doesn't hurt!" Enoria protested as she lightly punched his arm.

"Be careful, you may break your hand, bones are fragile at your age," Whan teased, faking to be hurt, making both Tanya and Sana laugh. He smiled, proud of his own joke, ignored Enoria's slightly offended face and he turned his head back to the training fight. "Hey, boy! Keep your eyes on your opponents instead of glancing at us!" he scolded Saya who rolled his eyes, visibly sighed but quickly focused again.

"Boy?" Enoria repeated with an amused voice, "you are the same age as he is."

"I know that but look at him, he looks like a kid," Whan defended himself.

"It's not because you look ten years older that everyone around you is a kid," Tanya grumbled.

"Ten years older?" Whan repeated, offended, "oh, right, you must really have taken a look at my face when you eyed me up yesterday," he accused, looking at her.

"Excuse me?" she asked, baffled, "don't take your fantasies for realities, I wasn't eyeing you up!"

Whan raised an eyebrow, clearly not convinced, and let out a smug chuckle. "Sure, you weren't," he said sarcastically, "keep telling yourself that."

"Don't be so full of yourself, Whan," Sana intervened, "you're not even that attractive."

"Look into a mirror before talking!" he retorted.

"Oh but I do, I know I am pretty. Even Lady Enoria often tells me so."

"Great for you. She told me I was perfect the way I was."

"That's what people say not to hurt someone's feelings."

"Say that ag-"

"What is so wrong about being ten years older, Whan?" she cut him off.

"I am not that old that's all!"

"Lady Enoria is that old, so is sir Yangcha. So disrespectful," she said, shaking her head, trying to restrain herself from smiling as how easy it was to tease him.

"Well, I-" Whan started as he turned to Enoria who was looking at him, arms crossed, visibly waiting for him to find a good way to defend himself while Yangcha seemed to pretend they all didn't exist. "I am sorry, you know I didn't mean that you were old or anything because you, obviously, are not, nor is Yangcha, of course. It's because of her!" he defended himself, pointing at Sana. The young warrior grabbed the finger pointing at her and squeezed it. "Give me my finger back before breaking it!" he said as he freed himself from her grab.

Sana stuck her tongue at him then she crossed her arms. "You apologized to Lady Enoria and sir Yangcha so now apologize to Niruha too," she told him.

"Why should I? I did nothing wrong!"

"Did you or did you not push her yesterday?" Sana accused.

"What?" he asked before his eyes fell on the High Priestess, "what a snitch," he accused in a murmur, "hey, I didn't push you, you were on my way I gently moved you from it, that's all. You didn't need to compla-"

"You didn't have to touch her with those hands you probably never wash! You have no manners," Sana interrupted before Tanya had the time to intervene, "next time you dare to disrespect Niruha, you're dead meat."

"Firstly, I do wash my hands. Secondly, I have manners. And thirdly, why are you so fervently defending her, huh? On which side are you, Sana?"

"Isn't it obvious? Of course Niruha's, idiot!"

"You should be on mine! What a traitor!"

"It's not treason! Not only because I am one of Niruha's protectors but also because we are all members of the same pack! Look!" she said as she took Tanya's left hand in hers to proudly let appear on both of the friendship bracelets she had bought.

Without even thinking about it, Whan's right hand went to his own left wrist, where he, too, had that same bracelet. "Wow, you really gave those things to just anyone. So disappointing."

"Niruha is not just anyone. She is my friend and she is also the descendant of the Great White Wolf, Lady Enoria and she are basically distant family!"

"Ah, distant family? Why should I care when I am close family?"

"Enough!" Enoria firmly interrupted, making the three look at her, "Whan, apologize to Tanya."

"Why? I don't want to. I am a free man and I did noth-"

"Whan!"

Whan's stubborn expression wavered as he looked into Enoria's eyes. He rolled his eyes, loudly sighed before he turned to Tanya and murmured an apology that did not seem really sincere but that did the job since she accepted it. "Satisfied?" he then asked his leader.

"Only if you stay quiet from now on."

"Take that, Wh-"

"You too, Sana!" Enoria interrupted, "you two are way too chaotic together! Give us -and by us I mean Yangcha and I because Tanya, you really are no better since you started this- a moment of peace because it's more than tiring to hear you fight like noisy teenagers!" she scolded.

They immediately went quiet and exchanged amused looks. Yangcha glanced at them and he could see that they were restraining themselves from laughing. The corner of his lips slightly raised. Whan and Sana were indeed a chaotic combination but somehow their spontaneity was refreshing. Though they were noisy, they were also entertaining. He also thought it was a good thing that they allowed Tanya to be herself, without having to pay too much attention to reactions that would suit a High Priestess.

Enoria didn't comment on the three ready to burst out laughing anytime. She just sighed and her eyes returned to Saya's training fight. As he finished a quite impressive combination of strikes for a beginner, she stepped forward to interrupt his training. "Be careful, you have a tendency to hold your breath during your swings. If you don't properly breathe, not only you'll tire yourself out but your movements will be less fluid and your strikes will lack power." She came closer, gesturing to him to hold his sword out in front of her. "Your grip is good, but you're relying too much on your wrist. Try to use your whole arm more, it will give more power to your strikes. It's not only your hand, wrist and arm that have to work but your whole body."

She demonstrated the proper technique before asking him to try on his own. He repeated the movements, feeling the difference immediately.

Enoria watched him with a satisfied smile. "That's it," she praised before she asked her subordinate to hand over her practice sword so that she would personally test the Prince, "now apply that during the fight."

He did and all the way, she guided him through the different moves, correcting his stance and reminding him to breathe, to feel the sword as a continuation of his own body. He felt the pride in her voice when he managed to perfectly reiterate one of the techniques she had taught him and, even if it felt weird to hear her praise him, it boosted his confidence. He found himself enjoying the rhythm of the sword movements. It was as if he was in a trance, completely focused on the present moment, forgetting about the things and people around him, all that counted was to strike again and again without losing the rhythm. As he put more strength in every blow, he wondered what it would be to fight during the war, to strike with a real sword that would slice through his enemies' bodies, to hear them scream in terror because of him and his army. Everyone around him kept telling him that war was not a game but it was. It was a deadly game that he wanted to play and win. His warriors would be his paws crushing his enemies on his orders. The victory was already assured, the Agos stood no chance against Arthdal, and he would be the one bringing it to his King. He, an Igutu, would be another hero for the people of Arthdal and when the time would come, his blood actually considered a curse would be seen as a blessing. He would proudly walk into the light, Tanya by his side and he would show Tagon that he was a son he could be proud of, an heir worthy of the succession.

Enoria wasn't giving him a break. She could feel he was getting better. He was more confident in his movements, more aggressive in his attacks, more efficient in his defense as if he had set a goal and was determined to reach it. It wouldn't be enough to impress the most experienced warriors but if he managed to compensate his shortcomings in swordsmanship by his tactics skills then Arthdal could have a good commander, as long as they took care of keeping him alive. She was pushing him to his limits but he didn't complain, he managed to cope despite being visibly tired. She smirked, he had been training since morning, it was time to put an end to the practice. A first strong blow that he parried made him step back then she caught his wrist, made him lose his balance and sent him to the floor with strength. 

Saya laid there for a moment, catching his breath and feeling a bit surprised by the sudden throw that he wished had been a bit more gentle. He didn't immediately stand up, first he sat on the ground, letting out a small groan of pain.

"You'll think about it twice before almost breaking the back of one of my warriors again, won't you?" she asked with a small satisfied smile.

"You didn't have to make me pay for that, he had already done it," Saya complained before he took the hand she was extending to help him stand up. 

"Two reminders are better than one," she replied, giving a small tap on the back, "enough for today, you did well." 

She put an end to the training session and sent her warriors to rest before they all went back to the Great Shrine.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Alone in his office, Tagon watched over Arthdal from one of the windows with a smile on his face. Once again, he read the characters drawn on the scroll the High Priestess had brought him after lunch. Maybe Tanya didn't realize how precious that knowledge was to only trade that against her people' safety but he did realize how important what he had in hands was. He wouldn't have thought he would get the hand on such an important thing that quickly and that easily and yet, he had it. A first step for the making of steel swords. He felt delighted. The words written on the scroll he was holding -if the method truly worked- were the key to make Arthdal enter a new glorious era and he would be the one making that era a prosperous one. 

He took a deep breath then called out for his Daekan Lady who had waited at the door while he had a talk with the High Priestess. She entered immediately after. He didn't bother turning to her and waited until he heard the door closing behind her. 

Tagon didn't immediately speak and the nervousness she was trying so hard to contain was still there. Tanya had just given him the precious knowledge he coveted and now she had to tell him that she had betrayed him by giving it to his wife. "There's something I hav-"

"I know," he cut her off, "the High Priestess told me. You gave something that was only supposed to be mine to Taealha."

Tanya had talked to him. Now she understood better why the High Priestess had told her not to worry and promised her she'd be fine after going out serene from her encounter with the King. She would have liked not to worry but she could feel that Tagon had built a wall that wasn't usually there between them and she didn't like it. "I am sor-"

"You talk when I authorize you to," he once again cut her off as he finally turned to her.

She lowered her head and bit her own lip. It wasn't time to talk back. Yangcha had warned her to keep a low profile and she intended to follow his advice.

"I know why you did that and though that was a stupid thing to do, I understand," he continued as he approached, "but that's still a betrayal for which you should be punished." When he was only one step from her, she took a step back and he smirked. "What's gotten into you? Is the savage wolf suddenly afraid? That's not like you," he said as he approached his face closer, smirked again then straightened himself. "You know very well I can't punish you. At the moment, I put a hand on you, the people that my wife had not captured would scream on the roofs about my blood, wouldn't they?"

"I would like them not to have to do that," she answered as she finally dared to look him in the eyes.

"So would I," he said, "how amusing though, Tanya pleaded for your cause with all her heart. It seems the White Wolf needs the Black one by her side. I am sure there are many things you are teaching her."
The art of threatening people for example.
The High Priestess had asked him not to severely punish Enoria but it had been more of an order than a suggestion. Apparently she had had a vision of the future. One in which she had seen his future child, a son, ascending to the throne. But for that to happen, he shouldn't be harsh on Enoria as she would play a major role in his son's life and a severe punishment would have repercussions on his future child. Whether it was true or not, he didn't know. Whether he truly believed in Tanya's abilities, he didn't know either but the risks were too high to be taken. He couldn't be severe but Enoria still needed to be punished as her action had obliged him to change his plan. "Give me your dagger," he ordered her. She complied and in silence, he observed the weapon he had in hands. The details on the hilt caught his attention and he smirked. "A wolf, a moon and broken chains? That's a design that suits you. Did you engrave those yourself?" he asked her.

"Yangcha did. It was a gift."

"Ah, I see. Somehow the way you slipped into his heart will always stay a mystery for me."

She restrained herself from taking his words badly. Yangcha had a good heart and it shouldn't be such a mystery for other people that he was able to love and be loved. 

"Now give me your left hand," he ordered. She obeyed and he put the blade of her own dagger in her palm. He forced her to close her fist on it then he retrieved the dagger in a quick and unhesitant move. She grimaced in pain but said nothing. A few drops of purple blood fell on the floor. He went to his desk, took a cloth with which he cleaned the blade of the dagger, approached her again and slid the weapon back into its sheath. "Bandage that wound," he ordered.

She didn't have anything to make a proper bandage and so, she simply tore a part of her dress so that she could cover the wound he had inflicted on her.

"Now clean that blood on the ground," he told her as he handed her the cloth with which he had cleaned her dagger. 

She squatted and obeyed, wiping her own blood from the ground. She didn't like that it kind of looked like she was kneeling before him but she said nothing. If for her betrayal he only slightly cut her hand then she couldn't complain. When she was done, she stood up. 

He took the cloth from her hands then went to throw it into the fire. He watched it burn. No one could see the purple blood on it, even if it wasn't his. When it was invisible, he approached her again. "What do you have to say to your King?" he asked her.

She knew exactly what he wanted her to say. She could see in his eyes what kind of games he was playing at that exact moment: he was asserting his dominance. "Thank you for your mercy, my King," she answered before she bowed her head.  

He reached out and lifted her chin, forcing her to look him in the eyes. "Don't you dare forget that you are my warrior and follow my orders. If you betray me again, I'll make sure Yangcha regrets having let you into his heart. No matter what you do, no matter what secret you reveal to the world, I'll have him so severely tortured that you'll not even recognize him, do you understand me?"

The simple idea of him having Yangcha tortured made a knot in her stomach. Just like Taealha, he wouldn't directly go after her, he would use the people she cared about, those who were at the same time her strength and her weakness. "Aren't Daekans a family?" she asked him, "your family is my family, that's what you repeated to every Daekan on the verge of death during the Great Hunt. Were those empty words?"

The King's expression softened slightly at her words. "Daekans are a family, we are brothers," he replied, "but my own interests and goals will always come first. They are precious companions but they are disposable. I have killed some of them before and I'll do it again if necessary. I am thankful for their service as long as they stay loyal and you should learn from them," he advised, though it sounded more like a threat than a real advice. He released her chin and took a step back, his gaze locked on hers.

"So that is what you think Yangcha is? Disposable?"

"Yangcha is dear to me, more than the others. That's why I do hope he will not have to suffer the consequences of loving the rebellious woman that you are. I gave you mercy today, but don't mistake it for weakness. If you betray me again, I will show you no mercy and be sure I'll take the one you love down with you because that's what will hurt you the most," he started before he took hold of her injured hand and pressed on the injury he had inflicted there, making her grimace in pain, "that injury will disappear without letting a scar but be sure to let it mark your mind," he continued before he released her hand then went back to his desk. "Now tell me, is Saya making progress?"

"Yes, he is," she simply replied as the pain in her hand throbbed. It was not a simple cut, it was a reminder of the power he held over her and that hurt her more than the injury in itself.

"Good," he responded, his voice carrying a hint of approval, "I will test his new skills soon. Be sure he is ready."

"I will," she replied, "concerning our evening training sess-"

"You are injured," he cut her off, "let's postpone them for now."

"My other hand is just fine," she retorted.

"Don't make me repeat myself," he warned.

She took a deep breath to control the urge to say something she would probably regret. If he was going to be like that with her too, she would end up preferring working in the Fortress of Fire under the disgusting looks of the Hae warriors: at least she didn't have to force herself to be respectful with them. "As you wish then," she replied, "I just wanted to inform you that, when my hand will be healed and if you give your approval, Yangcha would like to participate in our training sessions."

"Good idea," he replied with enthusiasm, "it will give me the occasion to see if his skills are still intact."

"Just say you miss him," she grumbled in a muffled murmur.

He pretended not to hear her latest remark. She was maybe not that wrong but it wasn't time to show her any sympathy. Her recent betrayal was the perfect occasion to turn her into an obedient warrior and he wouldn't miss it. "There must be some swords to sharpen at the headquarters, go there and make yourself useful," he ordered without even raising his head from the documents he had plunged himself into.

She took another deep breath, suppressing the rising wave of frustration and annoyance that threatened to engulf her. He was no different than Taealha. He would just make her another stooge and she couldn't even complain about it. Somehow, the war against the Agos that she had dreaded until now finally seemed like the only way she would be able to escape the royal couple. If Yangcha hadn't been involved, it almost could have amused her to see how she preferred going to war at the risk of meeting a terrible fate rather than staying in a city whose leaders were trying so hard to turn her into something she wasn't and would never be. She was a wolf, not a sheep or a dog. She could allow them to take her freedom away for a short while but she wouldn't support letting them have it for too long. They could make her on her knees, break her if they wanted, she would stand again and when the wolf would bite back, they would regret it. She would fight not just for herself or for her own people, but for the freedom of all those who needed to be freed from the power-thirsty people they were. For now, she would make an effort and let them believe that they had her under control. That was what she had to do for Yangcha's safety, for her people' safety and for her own. She looked at him and nodded obediently, concealing her true emotions beneath a facade of submission. "As you command, my King," she replied, her voice devoid of any defiance. With a curt bow, she turned on her heel and made her way toward the headquarters, determined to comply with his orders, however unpleasant they may be.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Followed by his guards, Tagon headed towards the Fortress of Fire where he was to pay a visit to his wife. If they both possessed the secret of the steel, it could become a common ground upon which they could negotiate a truce, ending the silent conflict between them that could, if not stopped soon enough, become a huge problem for the future he had in mind.

As Tagon approached the imposing Fortress of Fire, he spotted Taealha's figure at one of the windows. No doubt that she already knew why he was here. He had always been one step ahead of his adversaries, but Taealha was different. She possessed a keen intellect, an ability to manipulate situations to her advantage and her cunning and ambition matched his own. He loved her for that but that also made her more dangerous than his previous adversaries. And for those reasons, he needed her to be an ally more than an adversary. 

He left his guards at the door, entered the office where Taealha was and found her awaiting him. She was a vision of beauty and power, her eyes glittering with a mixture of curiosity and suspicion. 

She was aware of his intentions. What she was curious about was how he would play his card. "Tagon," she greeted him, her voice laced with a touch of both warmth and caution, "to what do I owe this unexpected visit?"

"How are you feeling?" Tagon asked her with a small smile as he approached her, his eyes falling on her stomach where their child was slowly but surely growing. 

"Are you asking me or the baby inside of me?"

"Both. Our child's well-being is intertwined with yours, after all."

Her hand instinctively rested protectively on her stomach, a mix of emotions flooding her at the reminder of their unborn child. A soft smile touched her lips, revealing a tender vulnerability beneath her usual façade of strength and ambition. "Our child grows stronger each day," she replied, her voice carrying a hint of warmth.

"It will soon start to show, we'll have to announce it to the people," he said.

"Not yet. Let's keep it a secret for a little longer," she replied, "I'll decide when it will be time to announce it."

"How about you? How are you feeling?"

Taealha's smile deepened as she looked into Tagon's eyes. She placed her other hand on his arm. She could fight against it as much as she wanted, there was a connection between them that went beyond their ambitions and conflicts. "I am well," she responded, her voice filled with a gentle reassurance. 

The weight of their silent conflict lingered in the air. Tagon sighed before he leaned on the edge of the window, imitated by his wife. They stayed silent for a moment, watching over the city that was theirs. Taking over Arthdal had always been their dream, their goal, but since they had taken the hold of it, there was a gap between them and he didn't know what to do to close it. "Since when has it become like that between us?" he finally spoke in a soft voice, breaking the silence. 

Taealha turned to face him, but her expression was guarded and distant. She didn't respond right away, as if contemplating how to answer him, then she scoffed, "you dare ask?"

"We have everything we wanted. We shouldn't let the death of your father divide us."

"The death of my father?" she asked, "you are wrong, Tagon. That is not what has divided us."

"Is it because I didn't tell you about it before? Because I entrusted Saya to the task? It shouldn't matter now. What is done is done. Try to see beyond that. Let's start over so that we'll welcome our child in good conditions. We can't let anything come between us. Arthdal is ours but if we want to keep it under control, we'll have to work together. You are my Queen and with all my heart, I still love you, Taealha."

She gave a faint smile. She had always loved how he called her name but now it pinched her heart every time he did. She still loved him too but the bitter feeling of how he plotted behind her back couldn't be erased that easily. She put a loving hand on his cheek and plunged her eyes into his. "Do you know what is funny? Despite everything you have done, my heart is still longing for you but as much as I want to believe you, I don't trust you anymore."

"I know and I also know there's nothing much I can do to change that for now."

"It's a good thing you are aware of it," she said as a few tears fell on her cheek. She looked at him for a moment before she leaned in and pressed her lips against his. It was a brief kiss, but it was filled with so much emotion that it made her heart ache. She was still angry at him. She didn't want to waver or to let herself be weakened by her feelings and yet, by pushing him away, by not letting him get close to her again, she felt like she was going against what her heart truly wanted.

He knew she still loved him too but the distance between them was hard to close. When she withdrew her lips from his, he, too, had tears in his eyes. There was something broken between them and even if he hoped they would manage to fix it, he didn't know if they actually could. "Maybe we should have run away together after all, like Asa Sin and Risan did long ago," he said.

Taealha scoffed, "and we would have lived happily ever after? It wouldn't have been like us. You know as much as I do that we desire power more than we desire a simple life. Having power, being above others, is our own way of feeling free."

Tagon didn't immediately reply. He wondered if they would truly feel free one day or if they would always feel like they needed to get more and more. "I will need the Fortress of Fire," he told her.

"What for?" she asked even though she already knew.

"Making weapons should be a knowledge we share together to pass it down to our childr-"

"I will not share with you the secret of the Bronze," she cut him off, to push him to reveal what she already knew.

"I know. And I won't push you to share it with me."

"Because you don't need it anymore? Because Tanya's father found a way to make swords with steel?"

"I do not want to fight against you, Taealha," he replied, "I know that Enoria shared with you what he figured out. We both know the stakes, and we both understand the power we possess. By joining forces, by combining our knowledge and resources, we can ensure our dominance over Arth and secure our legacy for generations to come."

She scrutinized him for a while. She didn't detect any lies in his words. He was sincere, he truly wanted them to work together, to start over but could she? A part of her wanted to, another part was too mistrustful for that. He had plotted behind her back with Saya in the hope of getting hold of the secret of the bronze and he had also done it with Tanya for the secret of the steel. If Enoria hadn't been the obedient stooge she had been by giving the method to her, would Tagon have even thought about telling her he had it? Or had his plan changed because of his Daekan Lady's treason? She couldn't be sure and she couldn't blind fully trust him. As long as she carried his child, she was safe but when she would have given birth to his heir, she would only be able to count on herself to assure her position. "Have you punished her?" she asked.

"Who?"

"Your Daekan Lady," she replied, "by giving me the secret of the steel, she betrayed you."

"For some reasons, I couldn't be severe with her" he explained and he saw in his wife's eyes the immediate discontentment, "you have a whole plan for her, haven't you? I'll let you teach her her place."

"Very well then," she said with a small smile, pleased with the idea he would let her have her ways with his lady warrior who would surely regret even having come to Arthdal, "why should I lend you my Fortress? I got hold of the secret by myself, I have the workers and the place. You are the one who needs me, it's not the other way around." 

Taealha's words hung in the air, a subtle challenge to the man standing before her. She was determined not to let him underestimate her worth or her position. She was the Queen. They shared power over the city but her fortress was her stronghold and she held all the power within its walls.

"You're right. I need your workers and your place and I would like not to have to take them by force."

"Would you dare?"

"Don't underestimate me, Taealha. You both know what the other is capable of," he said before he took a step closer, his eyes locked with hers, "think about it. Together, we can create something far greater than what either of us could achieve alone. By joining forces again, we can establish a new era of prosperity and dominance. We will be unstoppable."

"How do I know you won't turn against me again?"

Tagon's expression turned solemn, his voice tinged with sincerity: "because our collaboration would be mutually beneficial, for us, for our child and for Arthdal. We can walk on this path together, hand in hand and our child will grow knowing what we hadn't: love, security and a place at the top already guaranteed. Our child must grow in a world where they witness the strength and unity of their parents, not them tearing each other apart."

Taealha's eyes flickered with a mix of uncertainty and intrigue. "Words are easily spoken, Tagon. You have always been a good talker but actions are what truly matter."

Tagon stepped even closer, his voice gentle yet determined. "You're right. Actions speak louder than words. Let me prove myself to you once more. I am willing to make concessions, to compromise, to work alongside you as equals as we swore to each other the day we got married. This moment is an opportunity to leave the past behind," he said before he reached out his hand, a gesture of trust and reconciliation, "take my hand, Taealha. Let us rebuild what was broken and forge a new path together. I believe in our potential, in the power we possess when we stand united. Together, we can create a legacy that surpasses everything anyone has ever accomplished before."

Taealha hesitated for a moment, her gaze shifting between Tagon's outstretched hand and his eyes. She weighed the possibilities, the risks, and the potential rewards. After a brief silence, she slowly extended her hand and intertwined her fingers with his. "Show me that our collaboration will bring forth the prosperity and unity you speak of, for us, for our child and for Arthdal." She saw Tagon's expression softened, a genuine smile forming on his face and she felt herself drawn to him again as if the gap that had separated them since the day her father died had just closed. "Remember, should you betray me again, the consequences will be severe."

"I know," he simply replied.

They held each other's hands with the hope the conflict between them would have a durable truce. Despite everything, they still wanted each other and they also still needed each other. They had the right to abandon each other for their own benefits but if she was to fall, she would bring him down with her and vice versa. Their collaboration could either be the key to their triumph or the catalyst for their downfall.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Yangcha was dismissed from his watch at the end of the afternoon. As he was supposed to, he headed for the headquarters where he had to participate in the training in preparation for the war to come. When he got there, he spotted Enoria who was sitting on the ground near the training ground, focused on sharpening swords. If she was there doing such an annoying job, it meant that despite having given the method of the steel to Taealha, Tagon had decided to let her in one piece, which was a very good thing. Even if the High Priestess had assured him that the woman he loved risked nothing -and that, without telling more, which had annoyed him-, he had still spent the afternoon worrying about her and seeing her, safe and sound, filled him with relief. Ignoring the Daekans he passed by, Yangcha approached her and when he was near, she looked up from her task, her eyes brightening as she recognized him.

"The most handsome Daekan finally makes his entry into the headquarters," she greeted with a warm smile, "how was your day?"

His eyebrows immediately furrowed. How was his day? she dared asking so casually while he had spent the day worrying about her. 

Enoria's smile faded, replaced by a look of genuine guilt. "You spent the afternoon worrying, didn't you?"

Yes, he had. He cared for her so deeply that the simple thought of something happening to her had weighed heavily on his heart and mind. And yet, there she was, simply sharpening blades with a smile on her face as if she hadn't escaped a potential deadly punishment. He sighed. She truly was a reckless idiot.

"Sorry," she said in a low voice, "but it's not my fault if you always worry too much for noth-"

He looked at her in such a way that she didn't dare finish her sentence. She had betrayed Tagon's trust, how could that be nothing? Tagon may not have been able to sentence her to death but he could have had her severely punished if it wasn't for whatever the High Priestess had told him to convince him not to do such a thing.

"Fine, I'll shut up," she simply said before she went back to her task, pouting.

His gaze lingered on the sharp blades she was diligently tending to then he noticed the bandage on her hand. He sighed again before he squatted beside her, caught her eyes then glanced at her injured hand, asking his silent question.

"No, I didn't hurt myself out of clumsiness," she answered him, "Tagon did this. And with the dagger you gifted me on top of that. But that's a small cut and it will heal fast. And you should be happy because I'll have to be perfectly obedient for a while."

His brows furrowed as he processed her words. It pained him that the dagger he had gifted her had been used against her. The cut Tagon had left on her hand would heal fast indeed but he probably wanted to mark her mind more than her body. He took a deep breath, understanding the gravity of the situation. His heart ached for her, knowing that she had to suppress her true self and submit to both Tagon and Taealha. They were asserting their dominance and if she wanted to survive the game they were playing, she had to let them decide on the rules, no matter how hard and unpleasant it was for her to do so. 

She put a hand on his, forcing him out of his thoughts. "I am a savage wolf, remember? And they can try as much as they want, wolves can't be tamed," she tried to reassure, before she winked.

A faint smile appeared on his face but he quickly lost it. Maybe she couldn't be tamed but she could break. Everybody could, even the strongest of individuals and so, no matter how strong she was, she was not unbreakable. Even if he wanted not to worry too much, he couldn't. His instinct was telling him a storm was coming and that there was nothing they would be able to do to stop it. But she was a wolf and she could rely on him the way wolves relied on their pack because, when the time would come to weather the storm, he would be there to make sure that she wouldn't break.

"Hey, Yangcha!" a man called out, "did you come here to train or to hang out with your girlfriend? Looks like your purple blood princess has finally found her rightful place: at the bottom. Look at her relayed to chores. Once she'll be done with those swords, I should give her some of my clothes to wash," he jeered.

Enoria exchanged a short glance with Yangcha and they understood each other without a word. "Jeong," Enoria started without bothering looking at the one who dared to provoke them, "want to have your ass kicked?"

Jeong scoffed, trying to ignore Yangcha's challenging glance. "Oh, what's the matter? Can't handle a little banter, huh?"

"Yangcha is here to train, you will gladly be his training partner, won't you?"

"Why me?" he immediately asked in a high-pitched voice that betrayed how unconfident the simple idea of having to train with Yangcha made him.

"You're right. Way too easy for him. Not even interesting. A true waste of time. It's not worth it," she said.

Enoria's words hit Jeong like a slap to the face, challenging his pride and ego. "You," he said as he pointed at Yangcha, "get ready." Proud, he walked to the middle of the training ground, asked those already training there to give them some space, borrowed a practice sword and positioned himself, waiting for his opponent.

Yangcha had already stood up. Under his mask, he exchanged a small smile with Enoria. He left his chains and real sword near her before he found himself a practice sword and joined his adversary. With a swift motion, he twirled his practice sword and took his battle stance, his eyes focused solely on Jeong while some Daekans began to gather ready to witness a fight for which they all already knew who would end up winning.

As the first strikes were exchanged, Yangcha's agility and precision quickly became apparent. He countered Jeong's attacks effortlessly while Jeong struggled to keep up. 

Jeong already knew he would lose and it was evident in his wavering confidence. With every dodge and counter, Yangcha pushed him further towards defeat.

On the edge of the training ground, Enoria had stopped sharpening the sword she had in hands. Her eyes were focused on Yangcha. If swordsmanship was an art then he excelled in it. His footwork was like a dance, his steps were calculated and his transitions seamless, his strikes were powerful, precise, quick and efficient.

"Be careful, little wolf, you are drooling," Mugwang said as he approached and squatted near her.

"How could I not?" she asked without taking her eyes off of Yangcha, "look at him. From head to toe, he is perfect."

"Well, you may be a little blind by love. I have always thought that he was too tall," he said in a murmur before he moved to be in front of her, "about the day-off you were supp-"

"Hey. Move. You are blocking the view," she cut him off.

"You already see him every day, don't you think you can give me a little bit of attention too?" he complained.

"Mugwang, if there were a majestic wolf and a cockroach in front of you, which one would you want to look at?"

"Such a heartless woman," he deplored as he moved to the side, resigning himself to her relentless adoration for Yangcha. He knew he couldn't compete with the mesmerizing presence of the person she was fixated on and if he didn't move by himself, she wouldn't hesitate to push him. "Would it have killed you to use another animal? Like a horse for example, after all I am a Daek-"

"At best you could be a pony, Mugwang, not a horse."

"Still better than a cockroach," he noted with a smile, "at least I can't be swatted if I am a pony." 

She looked at him, let out a small chuckle before she shook her head and her eyes went back to Yangcha.

His eyes still on her, Mugwang smiled again, proud that he had made her laugh. "If one day you want to rid-"

"Shut up before you'll say something I'd make you regret having said," she cut him off.

"Yes, M'dam," he immediately replied as he too focused on the fight that was taking place just in front of them. Jeong wasn't bad but Yangcha was by far better. The masked warrior always took every fight seriously but there was no challenge in the one he was in now. The only reason he let it last was probably just to annoy his opponent. He was playing with Jeong like a cat played with a mouse and deliberately drew out the fight, savoring every moment of Jeong's struggle.

When Yangcha finally decided he was done playing, he put an end to the fight. He landed a decisive blow, making Jeong stumble backward before he fell to the ground, defeated and humbled.  

Jeong didn't know if it was the look in Yangcha's eyes that crushed his ego more than the mocking laughs of the other Daekans who had watched the fight.

"He could have beaten you with closed eyes, Jeong," Enoria said in a voice loud enough for him to hear.

He was about to say something but the look in Yangcha's eyes warned him not to even think about it. He sighed, stood up, took a few stumbling steps backward, his eyes filled with shame and anger. "You," he started, pointing at the masked warrior, "you are as annoying as your girlfriend," he continued as he looked at him up and down then left the training ground, complaining in a murmur that his body hurt.

"Hey, Yangcha! Against me now!" Gitoha exclaimed as he stepped into the training ground.

Yangcha smirked. No one on that training ground equaled his skills. They could come one after the other, he would defeat them all. Once more, he twirled his practice sword and took his battle stance, ready to face his new opponent who would at least be a little more challenging than Jeong. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

The sun slowly descended, casting a warm orange glow over the training grounds. Beads of sweat glistened on his forehead and yet, Yangcha remained unbothered by fatigue. He maintained a calm composure, channeling his energy into each strike and he skillfully defeated his opponents, one after another, exploiting their weaknesses and turning their own movements against them. With each strike and maneuver, he showcased his agility, strength, and strategic thinking. The training ground became his arena, and he was its unrivaled champion.

He was still training with one of his comrades when he spotted the King. With a quick move, he sent his opponent to the ground, turned to the King and fell on one of his knees, imitated by the other warriors present. Without raising his head, he allowed himself to simply take a short look at Enoria who he was surprised to see had not knelt but at least had stood up and bowed her head in respect.

"I see you all are training seriously," the King said with a proud smile as he allowed his warriors to raise and encouraged them to continue their practice.

Yangcha saw Tagon approach Enoria and so, he took a break from his training and came closer as well, placing himself next to her after he had wiped out the sweat from his face with the shirt he had removed before.

"You have done your work seriously," Tagon noted as he looked at the small stack of swords next to her, "how many have you already sharpened?"

"Eight," she replied.

"I expected you to do at least fifteen."

She bit her own tongue not to talk back. She didn't have four hands and she had done her best to be fast and efficient. "I apologize for disappointing you," she simply said.

Not far from her, Yangcha couldn't repress a small smile at how she was probably trying hard not to tell him to sharpen the swords himself if he was that unhappy.

"Well, I guess you were too busy looking at Yangcha to be truly efficient in the work I assigned you."

"I-"

"You should have seen her, my King," Mugwang interrupted before she even had time to defend herself, "she devoured him with her eyes all the way."

She immediately turned to Mugwang, feeling a mix of anger and embarrassment because of his words. "Do you have a death wish? Keep your mouth close before I sew your lips together," she warned.

"She was almost drooling at the view, that's just how nuts she is about him," Mugwang continued before he was reprimanded by Gitoha for not being focused on their training fight.

"Shut up! I wasn't drooling," she defended herself.

Tagon let out a small chuckle, visibly entertained then his eyes fell on Yangcha who was already attentive, ready to receive a potential order. "Are you feeling energetic enough for one last fight?" he asked him and when his warrior nodded, Tagon looked at Enoria. "Go entertain your King," he ordered with a smile.

"I'd like to postpone that, I am injured," she said as she raised her bandaged hand.

"Your other hand is just fine, isn't it?" he echoed her own words, "your King is asking you to distract him, will you disobey?"

"Of course not," she replied with a forced smile before she turned to Yangcha, "put a shirt back on, it's not that hot today," she told him in a low voice.

Yangcha shook his head. He had been training for a while, the weather was maybe not that hot but he was and he didn't want to bother with a shirt that he didn't need.

"But it's distracting!" she complained in a murmur. Despite the mask on his face, she could see he was smiling and that no matter what she would say, he would do nothing to help her focus. "Fine then," she started, determined to distract him too. She approached him, leaned towards him and murmured to his ear: "under that dress, I am not wearing anything, you better be careful." Then she walked to the training ground, a satisfied smile on her face, knowing well that her remark could destabilize him, at least a little.

He watched her walk to the middle of the training ground with a smile on her face, proud of her joke, or was it really a joke? He didn't know that but knowing her, there was no guarantee that she was indeed joking. He exchanged a look with Tagon who he hoped hadn't heard what she had murmured to him but the small smile at the corner of his leader's lips crushed his hope.

"Be careful but don't go easy on her," Tagon simply said.

Yangcha nodded before he joined Enoria on the training ground. The others had cleaned the way and positioned themselves on the edge to observe the fight. The two lovers exchanged an amused glance.

 "I am not going to go easy on you," she warned with a playful smile. 

He smirked. He had no intention to restrain himself either, it would be an insult to her skills. 

Without waiting more, they began their practice. He launched the first attack. She had been prepared for it, parried it and attacked in return. 

They moved as one, their swords dancing in harmony, their bodies and souls in perfect synchronization as if they shared a single mind, each knowing the other's next move before it happened.

"Are they training or flirting?" Mugwang asked with a bit of annoyance, breaking the concentration of the observers who were watching the two lovers' intense training session, "look at them, they are fighting with love."

"Be careful, Mugwang, it almost sounds like you are jealous," Gitoha mocked.

"It's not about jealousy," he muttered, his frustration evident in his tone. "I just find it distracting. We're here to train and prepare for battle, not to witness them spitting their love to our faces."

"Look how our Mugwang is completely smitten! Though it's not reciprocated!" Gitoha said to Tagon before he laughed, followed by the others.

"I am not smitten!"

"You once said she could tear your heart out of your chest because it was hers," the warrior replied, "a terrible mistake, if you want my opinion, since she is quite capable of doing that if you piss her off."

"She won't do that! And no one asked you your opinion!"

"That's what you hope for but you may have noticed she has quite a temper, I wouldn't be too confident if I were you." 

"Enough with the taunting, Gitoha," Tagon intervened with an amused smile, "let Mugwang hope for an impossible love," he gently teased.

"I am not hoping for love," the warrior replied, "who, except Yangcha, could actually stand her all day long?!" he asked, making the others laugh at how true that was.

Yangcha and Enoria didn't pay too much attention to the warriors around them. When they trained, the world around them always faded, leaving only them and their swords. A bead of sweat trickled down Enoria's brow, but she remained focused. Yangcha's breath had quickened, but his concentration never wavered. They were both proud warriors and the King had asked to be entertained, they couldn't show him a lame fight. They pushed themselves harder, their movements becoming faster, sharper as they tried to find an opening in the other's game.

Yangcha deliberately let Enoria attack him to elaborate the best strategy. He dodged her attacks to find openings to strike and when he found them he delivered blows after blows without giving her a break.

She found herself gradually being pushed back by his relentless assault. The fatigue began to weigh on her, and her movements became slightly sluggish and less efficient. As she parried an attack, she took a deep breath to renew her focus. She knew she wouldn't last that long, he had more endurance than her but she was not willing to accept defeat. He knew too well the way she fought so if she wanted to win that fight, she had to play the unpredictable card and use techniques she had learnt from someone else than him. She changed her strategy and launched a series of unpredictable strikes. 

First surprised, Yangcha quickly adapted to her change of strategy. He met her renewed vigor with an unwavering calmness. He analyzed her techniques, seeking patterns within her unpredictability. He saw glimpses of familiarity in her seemingly random attacks, recognizing fragments of his own training mixed with something new and unfamiliar. It intrigued him, fueling his determination to overcome the unexpected challenge and with each counter, he aimed to regain control of the battle. With a quick sidestep, he evaded one of her strikes and swiftly countered with a calculated blow. She managed to parry his attack then launched several attacks, combining speed and power. He countered her strikes, using her own momentum against her. With each passing moment, he was gaining the upper hand but she was far from giving up though he could feel she was tiring out. He, too, was starting to tire out and so, it was time to put an end to that fight.

He feigned a momentary lapse in concentration, intentionally leaving an opening for her to exploit. Enoria, seizing what appeared to be an advantage, lunged forward with a powerful strike. But he had anticipated her move and he sidestepped at the last moment, evading her attack by a hair's breadth. In that split second, he launched a swift and decisive counterattack, aiming for a vulnerable spot in her defenses. He made her lose her balance and sent her to the ground and his practise sword found her neck: he had won. 

He didn't pay attention to the praising of the Daekans around them. He extended a hand to help her up. As she accepted his hand and he pulled her up, he saw a smile on her face.

"You're not the best Daekan for nothing," she told him, her eyes sparkling with love. 

Time seemed to slow down as they caught their breath. His eyes locked in hers, he gently brushed a strand of sweat-soaked hair from her face. He had maybe won their fight but she had nothing to be ashamed of, she was skilled and he was proud of her though he couldn't tell her that with words at that exact moment.

"Damn it, I really want you right now," she murmured. 

His lips raised into a small smile as he heard her whispered words. The intensity of their fights tended to stir up passionate desires within them but it was neither the time, nor the right place for that.

She took a deep breath before she finally took a step back. He imitated her, creating an acceptable distance between them though their eyes were screaming that they wanted to be closer.

"Was it entertaining enough, my King?" she asked as they both approached Tagon.

"Quite entertaining indeed," the King replied, "not many people can actually challenge Yangcha but, even though you didn't go easy on each other, your swords looked affectionate."

She smiled but didn't comment on his remark. Their swords definitely had a way of expressing the affection they had for each other. They had fallen in love while training, it would always be special for them to fight against each other. "Now that we have entertained you well enough, could we, please, take the rest of the day to rest?" she dared to ask.

"You still have swords to sharpen," he made her remark.

"That, I can do it tomorrow. I would like to spend my evening making lo-" she had started her sentence glancing at Yangcha with a mischievous expression and she quickly noticed his eyebrows gathered, visibly worried about what she was going to say, "lots of more interesting things," she finished, with a malicious smile, aware of what he feared she could have said. She immediately saw him relax and she couldn't help but to silently mock him.

Tagon raised an eyebrow at Enoria's mischievous smile, clearly catching onto her intention to tease Yangcha. "I see. Well, I think I have seen you enough for today. Make sure to bandage the wound on your hand again and go before I change my mind."

Enoria thanked him while Yangcha simply nodded in respect. She put away the swords she had sharpened and the ones she would have to take care of while Yangcha put back on his shirt, chains and swords. Then, the two made their way out of the headquarters. They chose not to head for the Great Shrine but to the wooden house in the forest. 

Once he was sure they were far from anyone who could hear him, Yangcha placed himself in front of her, walking backwards. "You said that on purpose, didn't you?"

"Said what?" she played innocent.

"Making lots of more interesting things."

She let out a small chuckle. "You should have seen your face," she gently mocked, "you must have had perverted thoughts."

"Says the one who said 'damn it, I really want you right now,' " he teased as he stopped walking. When she was so close to him that she couldn't take another step, she stopped too.

Enoria's smile widened, pleased with the effect her words had on him. "I still really really want you," she whispered in a tempting voice as her hands untied the mask on his face.

Yangcha's eyes didn't leave her, his gaze filled with a mixture of desire and tenderness. "I'm more than willing to spend the evening engaging in those 'lots of more interesting things' you mentioned."

"Good, why don't we start now?"

A smile on his face, he leaned towards her and captured her lips. Their kiss quickly deepened, growing more fervent with each passing moment. Without separating from each other, they took a few steps back so that her back would lean comfortably against one of the trees. One of his hands found his way under her dress and he suddenly let out a small chuckle, interrupting their passionate kiss. "You lied," he said as he looked her in the eye, "you are wearing something under that dress."

"Of course I am. I am maybe a bit weird but not to that extent. I just wanted to make it fair. Are you disappointed?" she teased.

"Relieved more than disappointed," he replied with a smile, "but why is your dress torn?"

"I had nothing to do a bandage for my hand so I had no choice but to tear it off. That poor pretty dress," she lamented.

"I'll sew you a new one."

"Sew? Since when do you know how to sew other things than injuries?"

"I could learn to sew tissues for you."

She chuckled, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "Oh, so you're willing to expand your sewing skills just for me? I'm honored and be sure I'll be looking forward to that dress you'll make me," she said. Then she grabbed his chains and pulled him closer to her, "for now, could you, please, just completely tear this one apart?" she asked in a whisper.

"Not here," he murmured as their lips were about to meet again. 

"You're right," she replied, coming back to her senses, "let's go," she said as she took his hand and led him with fast steps to their wooden house. 

Once the door was closed, they didn't wait any longer. Their weapons were taken off with urgency and her lips found his once again in a searing kiss that conveyed their longing.

When he gripped the edges of her torn dress and pulled it apart, her laughter mingled with his as the torn remnants fell to the ground, leaving her standing before him in nothing but her undergarments. 

She helped him get rid of his shirt before he lifted her, her legs wrapping around his waist as he carried her towards the bed. The anticipation heightened with each step, their lips never parting. As he gently laid her on the soft sheets, their eyes met once again, mirroring the flames of desire that burned within them. There was no need for words, for their bodies spoke the language of longing and love. 

Time seemed to stand still as they lost themselves in the depths of their passion. The outside world ceased to exist, and all that mattered was the connection they shared.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The cold wind sent a shiver through Tanya's body. She adjusted her coat but didn't feel like walking back inside her room. The sun had set and with it the sounds of the day. The night was quiet except for the rustle of leaves in the breeze and, from time to time, the distant hoot of an owl perched high in a tree. As she gazed up at the star-studded sky, she marveled at the vastness of the universe and her own place within it. She was Arthdal's High Priestess, Asa Sin's descendant, someone people respected because she was a Niruha but would they still respect her if she wasn't someone from a sacred lineage?

Don't you dare try to use your title or your lineage against me because I don't care about those things. You are just Tanya to me, Whan had recently told her. Maybe he was right. Her title didn't matter. What truly mattered was how she chose to live her life, how she acted to make a positive impact on those around her. She had to find a way to do even more for the people, for them to love her as just Tanya. She was already giving some of the resources of the Shrine to the people and trying her best for the workers to be more free but there was probably more she could do.

She got out of her thoughts when she heard the door opening, closing then steps coming her way. When she saw Saya, she greeted him with a smile. "You're coming back late," she simply told him.

"I had things to do," he justified himself, "I had a discussion with my father. I heard you convinced him not to punish Enoria too severely."

"Yes, the problem is solved now."

He gave a faint smile but didn't reply. The problem was far from being solved from his point of view. He had expected Tagon to take the Fortress of Fire for himself, securing the steel for his own purposes, but he had decided to work with Taealha instead and Saya hadn't even been able to hide his disappointment. For a reason he ignored, Tagon didn't seem to be able to let Taealha go despite her being a potential obstacle for the future and it worried him. There was something odd about the way he was so reluctant about hurting Taealha and it was probably not just because she was his wife. They were two ambitious people and there was no way love would stop them from getting what they wanted. He felt like there was something between them that he didn't know about and he didn't like it.

The corner of Saya's lip raised into a small mischievous smile. Taealha was maybe the Queen of the united Kingdom of Arthdal but before that, she was the head of the Hae Tribe and what made the Hae Tribe recognized and respected by the people of Arthdal was that they were the only ones capable of making weapons. Bronze or steel, what made the way to make weapons a valuable knowledge was the fact that only a few people on Arth knew the process. Its value rested on the secret. If everyone was to learn about that secret then it would lose all its value as well as all the power it held. 

If his father couldn't have that power for himself then, at least, he would make the Hae Tribe lose it for good. That way, thanks to him, Tagon would truly be a King, one who has everything without sharing. Giving the secret of a steel away was a small sacrifice for a greater good. Taealha would have nothing to threaten Tagon with anymore and he would be able to distance himself from her as there would be no reason to share his power with her. Tagon could have imprisoned anyone who tried to produce weapons without his approval and rebellions could be severely repressed. 

Satisfied with the plan he had put in place and that would unfold in the early morning, Saya's eyes sparkled with anticipation. He knew how risky his move was. It could anger both Tagon and Taealha but it didn't matter: he relished the thought of the chaos that would ensue once the Hae Tribe's power would be shattered. This move was necessary to shape the future of Arthdal according to his own desires.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

315K 16.6K 65
❝I will avenge all those innocent people who have suffered at his hands.❞ Choi Diana knew that her father hated her for a sin she committed in her c...
5.3K 302 19
This story starts after Tagon's Declaration of War. Let's see what could happen in the land of Arthdal... (the rights for the photos to the right-ho...
45.4K 1.7K 21
After laying her eyes on the girl at the bar, she could just never not forget about her again. "I knew it, you're one of them." "You mean.. we're on...
11.1K 320 21
"I have something to tell you. I really like you a lot." If you know Day6's school trilogy then some of the happening's here is gonna be familiar for...