Servant of the Serpent

By RowanLaneStories

When Eben decides to rob the isolated town nestled deep in the woods, he could never have predicted that he w... More

BOOK ONE - Servant of the Serpent
Author's note
Foreword
Snakes for Friends
Coiled Up in a Dark Place
Into the Snake's Den
Snake Charmer
Yellow Bellied
Stitched Scales
Serpent's Tongue
The Statue of Helia
Cold Scales
Forbidden Fruit
Snake in the Grass
Vipers that Cannot be Charmed
Once Bitten
Brumation
Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Venomous Words
Winter's Eve
Celebrating Death
Melting Frost
Warmed Stone
Ouroboros
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
BOOK TWO - Family of Monsters
Foreword
Flights of Fancy
Blue Sky Thinking
Nesting
Birds of Prey
Early Bird
Downy Feathers
Birdsong
Water Off a Duck's Back
Two Turtle Doves
Molting
Merry as a Lark
Chickadee's Song
First Flights
Mourning Dove
Bird Flu
Flying South
Walking on Eggshells
One Winged Dove
Flew Too Close to the Sun
Feather Plucking
Flight Risk
Flew the Coop

Ecdysis

179 13 1
By RowanLaneStories

Scratchy growls angrily as Eben approaches the coop.

The half-elf glares at the bird. "Ungrateful, aren't you? I should roast you, you foul fowl."

Scratchy doesn't respond to the threats, only pecking the dirt as he searches for worms.

Helia laughs as she emerges from the coop with the basket. "I think you'd make Adder upset if you did that."

Eben chuckles, throwing the rest of the feed before taking his place beside the elder. They walk together on the trail, the half-elf taking note of how a few opportunistic plants are already pushing through the snow.

However, as they near the entrance of Adder's home, the woman takes a right turn away from the cave.

Eben follows. "Where are you going?"

Helia smiles. "Where are we going, my dear. We are going to talk about our plans and your powers."

Eben's heart thuds. After yesterday's hectic events, the half-elf had been kept awake all night thinking of questions to ask the woman. However, he'd kept them to himself. There was no need to harangue the woman for answers when she'd only just awoken from a five-year slumber.

Helia finds a peaceful clearing in the forest for them. There's a rocky outcropping of smooth stone here, and Helia sits cross-legged, placing the basket before her.

"Come now, child. Don't be shy, sit with me."

The redhead nods, sitting across from the elder. She smiles pleasantly at the half-elf's obedience. "Eben, please tell me, what do you understand about your powers?

The half-elf twiddles with the hem of his pants. "Not much, to be honest. I know it's activated by emotions...but that's about it. I have no control over it at all..."

Helia nods as she sifts through the eggs. She holds up several toward the sky, holding each one close to her eye. She must find one she likes, because the woman smiles and hands a speckled green egg to Eben.

The half-elf accepts the egg quizzically. Why was Helia giving him this?

The woman motions to the egg. "Go ahead. Try to hatch it."

Eben blinks. "Hatch it?"

Helia nods. "It's fertilized—I can tell."

The man frowns. "I told you, I don't know how to use magic, it doesn't listen to me."

The woman smiles sympathetically. "Just try on your own first, then I will help you."

Eben sighs. He closes his eyes, focusing on the feel of the egg in his hands. He breathes deeply, trying to picture a chick growing and developing inside.

After several minutes of this though, nothing happens. He sighs, aggravated. "Can you tell me what I'm supposed to be doing here?"

Helia nods, straightening her head cover. "What were you thinking of, the last few times you used your powers?"

Eben chews his lip, trying to recall exactly what he was feeling. "I was upset..."

"Why?"

The half-elf's face pinches. "Because I wanted to help Adder, but I couldn't. Because I was too weak..."

The woman smiles, eyes kind. "He loves you deeply. You know that, right?"

Eben flushes, heart thundering. "Yes," he whispers.

"And you return those feelings, don't you?"

Eben's cheeks redden more. Was Helia helping him with his magic, or was she planning to give him the "if you break my son's heart..." lecture?

"Yes, I've never felt like this about anyone else."

Helia smiles. "What do you know about gorgons?"

The half-elf's eyes dart to the ground. "Not much, I just know what Adder has shared and what the legends say."

"Gorgons are a unique type of monster," Helia explains. "they're very fierce predators, but they're also very social and loving creatures."

The half-elf laughs. "I knew that much."

The woman grins. "Did you know that once gorgons find a lover, they mate for life? He's never going to want to let you go, Eben."

The words seem to echo in the half-elf's head, banging around and causing a whole new burst of butterflies in his stomach.

Despite how happy he'd been to hear Adder loves him, an insidious voice had still whispered darkly that the gorgon would eventually come to his senses. Everyone else he'd ever loved had followed that pattern, so what proof was there that Eben wouldn't be abandoned once more?

Now he's learning that not only did Adder love Eben, but the gorgon would love him for the rest of his life. Could it be true?

"Eben, focus," Helia commands. "Use what you're feeling, if you can do this, you can save him."

The half-elf grits his teeth, tensing. He needs to do this—he needs to save Adder! Sheppard will not take Eben from the man he loves!"

Suddenly, he gasps as the bright feeling of magic seems to gather in his chest, goosebumps rising on his skin as the air around them seems to shimmer and ripple around them.

Attempting to keep focus, he closes his eyes and thinks of the gorgon, his love, and their future together. What would they do once they were free of Sheppard's clutches?

He needs to show Adder how beautiful life can be—how beautiful it can be every day, not just in short spurts between bloody battles. His lover deserved a life of peace, joy, and love, surrounded by a family who will never abandon him again...

As these thoughts church in his mind, the magic builds like a mighty wave, crest rushing its way through each molecule of his being to simmer under his skin.

Eben opens his eyes to see that golden light is spilling from his cupped hands, casting a brilliant amber hue on both of their faces.

He gasps as his hands grow hot, the light increasing to an almost unbearable intensity. He's doing it! Eben's controlling the magic! 

Slowly, as the rush of emotions slows, the egg fades back to its normal hue.

Eben watches it anxiously. Did it work? Did he do it right?

His questions are answered by a quiet sound—from behind the eggshell he hears an urgent "peep, peep, peep!"

The half-elf's eyes widen in disbelief as from the egg, hatches a small, shivering chick. Immediately he cups the small bird more securely, trying to warm it with his hands.

"Do you understand, Eben?" Helia asks.

When the man shakes his head, the woman clasps her hands. "Elf magic is sourced from the love Giakora has for her creations. But half-elves are different—the goddess of love wanted to protect half-elves, as they are the ultimate symbol of love persevering despite all odds..."

Helia leans over, opening Eben's palms. The little chick is snuggled up, enjoying the heat of his hands. She glances at the small creature before her eyes meet Eben's.

"Instead of sourcing your power from Giakora, you source your power from the people who love you."

Eben blanches. "So every time I used magic, it was because Adder loves me?"

Helia nods. "Because of Adder and anyone else who holds love in their heart for you."

Helia releases the half-elf's hands, leaning back.

"This power is strong, Eben, but because of its source most cannot use it selfishly. This magic will only obey you when you believe you are protecting your loved ones."

The woman's face darkens. "That's why Sheppard is so dangerous."

The half-elf tilts his head, confused. "What do you mean?"

"Sheppard is like you, Eben. He's a half-elf who has decided that he loves himself more than any god or mortal."

Helia's face turns enraged. "His unrepentant narcissism has made him stronger beyond belief."

Eben tenses. He couldn't be hearing this right, Sheppard is a half-elf? "But his ears—"

"I changed them, at his request."

The woman's face paints a story of rage and sorrow as her voice wavers. "When he first came to Nǣdre Tor he was—he was so different. I wanted to do anything to make him happy...I loved him, Eben, but rose-colored glasses prevented me from seeing the truth of who he was."

Eben grimaces. All his life, he'd never come across another half-elf. He had spent years, decades, hoping to find a kindred spirit. Of course, instead of finding someone normal, he'd get Father Sheppard.

"You need to practice, Eben. If you let fear overtake your heart while casting your magic, you will lose."

The graying woman's eyes shift to the snake on Eben's throat. "That may also prove to be an issue. You will need to catch him off guard so he doesn't have an opportunity to strangle you."

The half-elf nods grimly. "I understand."

"You can do it, Eben. You can't lose now that he loves you—" Helia takes Eben's hands in her own, giving a soft smile. "—and anyone who my son loves has my love as well."

Eben's eyes go misty. "Thank you, Helia. I'll make sure I'm worthy of it."

The half-elf takes the woman's advice to heart. Every morning, from sunrise to sunset, he vigorously practices until he is panting with exhaustion.

Now that he understands his powers, they seem to obey him much more. Although, his growth seems outpaced by the thawing of the snow. He needs more time to prepare himself to duel with the high priest, but time is running out.

On the eve of Koranalia, he's pushing himself to the limit as he desperately tries in these last few hours to bring his skills up to par with Sheppard. The clearing around him has become a smoldering black spot, all plant life decimated by his wild power.

Eben is panting, muscles protesting every movement, but he can't stop. Not when so much is at stake. The half-elf focuses his mind, feeling the fiery power build up within him once more. He unleashes it in a vicious blast that shakes the nearby trees, sending leaves and limbs flying.

He feels a sense of satisfaction at his progress, but it's short-lived as he realizes he's still not strong enough. Could he really protect Adder with this? From the man who could knock a woman unconscious with a flick of his hand?

"That was a big one!"

Eben turns around. There on the path is Adder, smiling cheerily. The half-elf sighs as his lover approaches.

"Adder, I told you to stay away, it's dangerous."

The gorgon tilts his head in an adorably curious fashion. "It's powered by my love. Would it really hurt me?"

Eben goes red in the face. "We can't be sure...I just want to make sure you stay safe. Anyway, did you need something?"

The gorgon nods. "Helia told me to bring you back for dinner."

The half-elf frowns. "I'm not done here yet, there's still light out."

"She told me to not come back unless I brought you with me," Adder chuckles, "she's angry that you skipped lunch.

Eben rolls his eyes, but his growling stomach angrily demands he give in. "Okay, just wait a moment."

He closes his eyes, envisioning what he wants as he focuses. He thinks of Helia carefully preparing a meal for him, preparing to host the former bandit like he was part of the family...

The magic runs through his veins once more, this time like a gentle and warm stream.

Around him, greenery begins to sprout from the blackened earth. Life overtakes the dead, transforming the damaged area into a lush and beautiful patch of lavender flowers.

Eben picks a stalk, handing it to his beloved. "Let's go, I'm starving."

Adder smiles, holding the lavender to his nose as they travel back.

Helia is cross with him when they arrive, but the woman still serves Eben a heaping portion of casserole. The half-elf nearly cries at the melody of flavor that his spoon introduces to his mouth. Chicken and mushroom blend into a savory meal that instantly comforts and soothes.

As far as last meals go, this one was pretty good. The delicious food is complemented by the wonderful company, the half-elf's heart swelling with warmth as he watches Adder and Helia interact. The gorgon looks happier than ever, animatedly discussing how Eben had magically assisted with hatching a whole flock of new chicks.

However, the joy is intermingled with an undercurrent of anxiety and dread.

He wants to crystallize this sweet moment and live in it forever. He doesn't want to frightening and unknown fate he will face tomorrow.

Unfortunately though, Eben's powers are not strong enough to stop time.

After they finish up, he and Adder head to their curling up together in their bed. The gorgon holds Eben securely, hands delicately tracing his skin.

The half-elf can tell Adder is not trying to arouse him. The touches are gentle, staying safely away from erogenous zones. No, the gorgon is only trying to memorize the shape of his beloved...

In case this is the last time they lay together.

Adder breaks the silence, voice soft. "Eben, I'm sorry."

The half-elf smiles, kissing Adder. "What do you think you need to apologize for?"

"I didn't believe you...I accused you of lying to me..."

Eben snorts, cupping Adder's jaw. "I forgive you. It's hardly the worst betrayal I've experienced. At least you didn't stab me and try to steal my horse."

The gorgon growls, pulling the half-elf securely against him. "I usually feel bad about petrifying people. I do not feel bad for petrifying the man who did that to you."

A loud laugh is torn from the half-elf. "So protective, Adder."

"You deserve to be protected," The gorgon whispers, "I've never felt so sure about anything else."

Eben wraps his arms around his lover's neck, kissing Adder once more.

He knows intimately how the gorgon feels.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

323K 12.6K 25
*Book One of the Amor Fati Series* Prince Calanthe Ámarent, once the child of a beloved queen regnant and now a disgraced prince, goes on a journey...
31K 1.4K 35
ROMANCE/EROTICA/NEWADULT It's been 10 years since Jack and Dexter have laid eyes on eachother. That is until Jack is back in the city with his job an...
630K 33.9K 53
**TOY MASTER SERIES: BOOK TWO**SEQUEL TO PUPPET//READ PUPPET FIRST PLEASE** Dakota Bailey has been forced to conform to the belief of other's since h...
266K 16K 50
After getting away from his cruel father's tyranny, Randall has to learn how to live again, and accept the person he was meant to be - with a little...