We Were Meant to Be

By anya_jayvyn

An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I... More

warnings & author's note
character aesthetics
playlist
01 | arriving
02 | destined
03 | gone
04 | broken man
05 | new beginning
06 | first night
07 | psycho
08 | the boss
09 | the offer
10 | new place
11 | stay
12 | close to you
13 | good morning
14 | butterflies
15 | boys
16 | teach me
17 | the lost treasure
18 | beneath the surface
19 | unusual
20 | encounter
21 | her
22 | warm
23 | awakened
24 | forbidden
25 | frozen heart
26 | sick
27 | cruel betrayal
28 | numb
29 | burning
30 | heaven
31 | with you
32 | longing
33 | daddy
34 | friends
35 | jealousy
36 | reality
37 | realization
38 | bodyguard
39 | clash
40 | don't go
41 | sorry
42 | gift
43 | paint
44 | brother
45 | lips
46 | party
47 | possessive
48 | dance
49 | found
50 | if only
51 | in my arms
52 | couples
53 | hidden
54 | feelings
55 | all of me
56 | in your eyes
57 | secret
58 | hopeless
59 | celebration
60 | hidden section
61 | mystery guy
62 | one wish
63 | a night to remember
64 | hold me
65 | surprise
66 | chaotic
67 | embrace
68 | bliss
69 | a beginning for another
70 | sweet heaven
71 | not so safe word
72 | catching up
73 | careful
74 | checkmate
75 | heart in disguise
76 | deserted
77 | in the mirror
78 | good girl
79 | special guests
80 | one step further
81 | the meeting
82 | half of my soul
83 | confession
84 | her promise
85 | the day
86 | face to face
87 | something to witness
88 | the missing piece
89 | the truth
90 | crumbling
91 | falling apart
92 | waiting
93 | farewell
94 | heartbreak
95 | broken girl
96 | closure
97 | finding you
98 | fight for us
100 | paintings of you
101 | newcomer
102 | torn
103 | till death do us part
104 | the man who loves me
105 | his promise
106 | the taste of happiness

99 | unexpected

64.7K 3.6K 478
By anya_jayvyn

I push through the door and step into the bookstore. This place is new, and even though it's smaller than the last bookstore I visited a couple of days ago, the atmosphere is cozy.

It has beautiful french doors. The built-in bookshelves and surrounding walls are clad with wood paneling. There's a big couch so soft, providing a comfortable spot in the corner of the room.

I sigh in contentment as my gaze travels around the surroundings. Visiting bookstores has always made me calm. This reminds me of how I used to spend my free time when I was still in high school back in Texas. It's always thrilling to find new favorite books and add them to another collection in dad's library at home.

Books have always been my therapy. It's why I love roaming around the college library too. But now, the idea of visiting any places that have memories of Aiden -- including the library -- makes my heart clench with pain.

After I left him, I prefer to go somewhere else that doesn't remind me of him. New places, or places that have no connection to him at all.

My heart still hurts like being sliced every time I think about him -- and I still think about him a lot. I wonder what he's doing, if he's really happy.

Of course, he's happy now, Nevaeh. He's with her, the woman that he loves so much.

My eyes water again, and I lean back against the bookshelf. The agony I've been feeling inside starts to build up again, ready to consume me.

I wonder if Aiden has forgotten me. Maybe he hasn't and that's because he hates me.

All the wonderful and beautiful things that have happened between us seem so far away. Was it never real between us? Or was it not enough that it was so easy to shatter, just like that?

I shake my head in denial and shut my eyes. What am I doing? I've promised myself not to think about him anymore.

Here I am, trying to live my life, enjoying the little things in life, but the truth is that I'm not even living. I'm barely surviving.

I'm grateful that Ash and Maya have welcomed me to their apartment, to stay with them. We've spent a lot of time together, mostly them trying to cheer me up by doing something fun together -- a movie marathon, dancing, ordering a lot of comfort food. Sometimes, Flynn joins us.

At first, I was really surprised to hear that Flynn was officially in a relationship with Ash -- I couldn't stop asking about how it happened. After Flynn permanently moved to Seattle for business purposes, he apparently had a few dates with Ash before they became official.

Both of them say that they have a deep connection with each other, and I'm truly happy for them. Ash has trauma from her previous relationship, and so far Flynn has been showing that he's nothing like her pervert misogynistic ex-boyfriend. He respects Ash and would never force her to do anything she's not ready for.

I'm glad that I have the three of them as my best friends here in Seattle.

But I'm not going to stay long here. I'm planning to go back home to Texas when the exchange program ends. After everything that has happened, I have no desire to extend the program. I won't stay in Seattle longer than six months.

My phone beeps, notifying me of new text messages from my group chat with Ash and Maya.

Ash: Hey Nev, where are you now?

Ash: Are you still in the bookstore?

Ash: Actually, Maya needs help.

Maya: What she said :(

Maya: I need your help, Nevaeh. I hope that you won't mind.

Why is she even asking? I'd be happy to help Maya. Quickly, I type my reply.

Me: Just shoot.

Me: How can I help you? ;)

Maya: If it's not trouble for you, can you please pick up a painting from an art gallery?

Maya: It's a new painting I just purchased from my friend, but she's leaving soon. We're supposed to meet there, but I don't think that I can make it.

Maya: I have a stomachache.

Ash: Oh yeah, she's been throwing up for the past hour.

Maya: And you know... Ash already has plans with Flynn today, so...

Ash: Girl! Why do you have to expose me like that? :(

My hand shoots to my mouth as I gasp. I immediately type my response again.

Me: Oh my God, are you okay Maya??

Me: Are you sure that you don't need to go to the hospital?

Me: Don't worry about the painting. I'll go get it.

Me: But are you sure that you don't want me to send you to the hospital?

Me: You're more important than the painting!

Maya's response is as quick as lightning.

Maya: No no. I'm okay!

Maya: I really am.

Maya: I'll get better after some rest.

Maya: I don't even think it's food poisoning. I'm just not feeling well.

Maya: Please just get the painting for me.

I bite my lip, typing my answer again while still wondering if she's really alright.

Me: Okay then. Just let me know the location and I'll get it for you.

Maya: Thank you so much!

Maya: This means a lot to me.

Maya: Thank you so much, Nevaeh. I really appreciate it.

My brows furrow in confusion. It's just a simple favor, but why did she make it sound like I'm doing more than that?

Shaking my head, I open the location Maya just sent to me and then head back toward the door to exit the bookstore.

I turn my car engine off and sigh. It turns out that the art gallery isn't far from the bookstore. It's also in the same direction as the apartment.

It's clear that what I'm doing is just a small favor, so it makes me wonder even more why Maya spoke like I was doing something big for her, not to mention that she kept making sure that I was heading in the right direction throughout the journey.

Maybe the painting means so much to Maya.

Don't worry, Maya. I'll deliver your painting without any scratches.

I know how much Maya loves art, and again, this reminds me of Aiden. An art gallery is a place he would enjoy being in. Sadness envelopes me again, and I shake my head, trying to compose myself.

While I'm about to get out of my car, my phone rings again. I see Maya's name on the screen.

"Just arrived," I chirp. "I just parked my car."

I can hear Maya sigh in relief from the other side of the line. "Thank God you could find the location. I was worried that you might get lost."

I let out a small chuckle. "Don't worry. I was able to find the place quite easily."

"Okay," she says. "My friend is already there. I'll let her know that you have arrived." With that, she hangs up.

I put my phone back into my purse and step out of the car. While I'm walking across the parking lot, the wind blows through my skin. I shiver a little. Even though the sun is up, the autumn air is quite chilled, signaling that winter is approaching.

I wrap my arms around my waist, scolding myself that I didn't wear something warmer than a thin sweater and jeans.

Nothing can compete with the coldness inside my heart, though. It's been like that since I lost Aiden. I wonder if my heart will ever heal and find such warmth again. Someday, it may, but definitely not anytime soon.

My footstep echoes as I step into the huge art gallery. It's so silent here that one could hear it if a pin dropped.

Inside, the gallery is rather dark. There are no windows around, and there's only one light illuminating the place from the corner of the room where I'm standing.

"Hello?" I call.

I've never been a friend of darkness, so I hope that I can get this done as soon as possible.

However, no one answers me. I look at my phone again, wondering if I unknowingly arrived at the wrong location. But all the directions lead me here, and this place has the exact name of the art gallery.

Yet, there's still no sign that there's somebody else here.

I walk further into the room and look around. The gallery is empty. I was expecting to find some paintings hanging on the wall, but there's nothing. It looks like this place has not been used for quite a while. The minimum lighting doesn't help my vision.

Have I missed something? Is it possible that Maya's friend is late? No, that's not possible. Maya said that her friend was already here. In fact, she was here even before I arrived.

Just as I'm about to call Maya, I hear footsteps coming behind me. I snap my body around, and what I find makes me gasp in shock.

***

AN:

Hi everyone! First of all, Ramadhan Kareem for those of you who celebrate this month :)

I'm sorry for the cliffhanger, I'm planning to post the next updates soon. Hopefully, it won't take too long for me to finish writing the next chapters *keeping my fingers crossed*

As you know, this story is coming to an end and it's been a long journey with you all. Your votes, comments, and messages mean so much to me. I can't always respond to each and every one of you but knowing that I have your support makes me able to continue writing even when I'm struggling with it because of my other responsibilities.

Do you read stories outside Wattpad too? If so, who is your favorite author or novel? Please let me know because I want to know you better.

Love,
Anya

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4M 144K 33
"I want to have you scream my name to the heavens as I thrust into you." he elaborates, causing me to shut my legs. "I-" I stop, not knowing how to r...
4.2K 165 32
š’š¢š¦šØš§šž š„šš¢š¬šØš§ was raised from the ground up knowing nothing but comparison and perfection. She compared herself to her successful parent...
291K 7.5K 61
"Treat me like your wife. I want you to give me a chance, give this marriage a chance." He looks at me with those brilliant blue eyes of his. His eye...
9.4K 532 35
"I won't let him look at you, touch you, feel you. Because you're mine and I don't like others touching and stealing what's mine," he whispered in my...