We Were Meant to Be

By anya_jayvyn

An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I... More

warnings & author's note
character aesthetics
playlist
01 | arriving
02 | destined
03 | gone
04 | broken man
05 | new beginning
06 | first night
07 | psycho
08 | the boss
09 | the offer
10 | new place
11 | stay
12 | close to you
13 | good morning
14 | butterflies
15 | boys
16 | teach me
17 | the lost treasure
18 | beneath the surface
19 | unusual
20 | encounter
21 | her
22 | warm
23 | awakened
24 | forbidden
25 | frozen heart
26 | sick
27 | cruel betrayal
28 | numb
29 | burning
30 | heaven
31 | with you
32 | longing
33 | daddy
34 | friends
35 | jealousy
36 | reality
37 | realization
38 | bodyguard
39 | clash
40 | don't go
41 | sorry
42 | gift
43 | paint
44 | brother
45 | lips
46 | party
47 | possessive
48 | dance
49 | found
50 | if only
51 | in my arms
52 | couples
53 | hidden
54 | feelings
55 | all of me
56 | in your eyes
57 | secret
58 | hopeless
59 | celebration
60 | hidden section
61 | mystery guy
62 | one wish
63 | a night to remember
64 | hold me
65 | surprise
66 | chaotic
67 | embrace
68 | bliss
69 | a beginning for another
70 | sweet heaven
71 | not so safe word
72 | catching up
73 | careful
74 | checkmate
75 | heart in disguise
76 | deserted
77 | in the mirror
78 | good girl
79 | special guests
80 | one step further
81 | the meeting
82 | half of my soul
83 | confession
84 | her promise
85 | the day
86 | face to face
87 | something to witness
88 | the missing piece
89 | the truth
90 | crumbling
91 | falling apart
92 | waiting
93 | farewell
94 | heartbreak
95 | broken girl
96 | closure
98 | fight for us
99 | unexpected
100 | paintings of you
101 | newcomer
102 | torn
103 | till death do us part
104 | the man who loves me
105 | his promise
106 | the taste of happiness

97 | finding you

57.5K 3.1K 441
By anya_jayvyn

I sit on the bed, traveling my gaze around the room. I got here as soon as I came back from LA, but it still doesn't change the reality that Nevaeh has left this apartment as well.

The last time Ashton and Ian saw her, she was here. But now, she's nowhere to be found.

As the owner of this building, and after watching the recording from the CCTV cameras placed in the hallways, it didn't take long for me to find out that Nevaeh had dragged her suitcase out of here as soon as Ashton and Ian left her.

Yet, here I am, still stuck in her room, as if I just want to make sure with my own eyes that she's indeed gone.

After what I said to Nevaeh, it's understandable that she wants to be as far away from me as possible. This apartment, which her father purchased for her, is just a few floors down from my penthouse. It's no wonder that she doesn't want to stay here -- Goddammit, I practically told her to stay out of my life.

I just never thought that she wouldn't even tell Ashton or Ian that she was leaving her apartment too.

Now, I don't even know where she is.

I dial her number again, but just like it did before, it disconnects. I toss my phone onto the bed. Fuck.

"I can't reach her." I run my hand through my hair, frustrated. "I think she blocked my number."

And I deserve that. I've hurt her. I've made it clear that it's over between us.

"You think?" Ashton's voice makes me look at him, only to find him staring at me with an eyebrow raised.

His arms are crossed over his chest. I know what he's trying to tell me even though he doesn't say it. 'Ha. Serves you right.'

I swallow. I can't reach Nevaeh, but maybe Ashton, Ian, or Sam can call her. She would answer them, wouldn't she?

Before I can voice my thought, Ashton stops me with his hand up. "Don't even think about it. Do you think that we would just give you the easy way out?" A grin creeps on his lips.

I curse under my breath. This is ridiculous. I have no power over them when it comes to Nevaeh, and to think that I'm the boss here... Fuck.

Whatever. I'm not going to scowl here and give Ashton more satisfaction just by watching me lose my mind from wondering where she is. I'll get her back.

Nevaeh might have gone back to Texas, but I highly doubt it. I know how much she wants to nail her exchange program here, and as far as I remember, it's not finished yet, not until the winter break.

I have a strong feeling that she's still in Seattle. If only I could get to her friends, they might let me know where she is.

Or maybe not.

Dammit.

My jaw tightens. Worry and longing stir inside me. I have to find her soon. I thought that I did what was best for Nevaeh, that I was setting her free from my needs. But now that I'm not blinded by my fear and past anymore, I'm constantly reminded of how much I've hurt her. And it's killing me.

I have to explain to Nevaeh what I really feel for her.

I shouldn't have mistaken her feelings for me. I should have believed her love for me. I should have told her that I was in love with her.

This time, I'm surrendering. Let her speak for herself. Whatever it is, I'm ready.

Even if it means that she doesn't love me anymore because of how much I've hurt her.

I step out of the apartment lobby and take a deep breath. The sun is setting. The fresh air feels good in my lungs, and I need it. The pain in my chest from losing Nevaeh is suffocating me, and it gets worse every day

I'm staring ahead, lost in my thoughts, when I see a familiar figure. In an instant, my body turns alert. My eyes zoom in on a girl tottering in the parking lot. She does seem familiar.

I continue watching her, then I finally remember.

I saw her at a college party a few months ago. She's Nevaeh's friend. Maya.

I jog toward her while she heads toward Nevaeh's car. It confirms my assumption.

"Wait." I speed up my pace.

Maya grabs a key from her purse and unlocks the car, which means that Nevaeh gave her the key.

"Maya," I call, just as she's about to open the door to the driver's seat.

She freezes, and when she turns around to see me, her eyes widen in shock. She looks nervous, contemplating between getting into the car or facing me.

I pant, stopping right in front of her. I want to ask what she's doing, but the answer is clear as day.

"Are you--"

Before I can finish my sentence, Maya gets into the car. I stop her when she's trying to shut the door.

"Wait. We need to talk," I urge. "It's about Nevaeh."

She releases her grip on the door and slams her palms on the steering wheel. Her head bows down.

"Oh damn," she mutters. Her voice is barely audible. "I should have let Ash do this instead. I can't even do this simple task. What a wrong time."

"I need to see Nevaeh," I say. "I need to know where she is."

Maya is still not giving me any attention. She closes her eyes, blowing a breath.

"Please," I beg.

I never begged anyone before. I've already thrown my pride out of the window. This is between life and death.

Okay. Maybe that's exaggerating.

"Is she okay?" My voice is desperate.

Maya finally turns to look at me. Disbelief skates all over her face. She's staring at me like I'm the stupidest man in the world. "Are you seriously asking whether she's okay or not?"

Fuck.

"Look." I swallow, trying to figure out a way to make her help me.

Judging from her angry face, Nevaeh must have told her everything.

"I know that I was wrong," I say. "Hell, I don't even know if she would ever forgive me. But I'm trying to make things right. I need to talk to her."

Maya scrutinizes me. Her eyes narrow, judging me.

"She left, and I just can't--" I squeeze my eyes shut, throwing my head back.

I can't even describe what I'm going through because it's a fucking mess. But I know that I deserve this. I'm the one who ruined everything.

I throw my hands in the air, gesturing at the car. "She didn't even take her car with her when she left. I'm fucking worried about her. Just--"

I take a deep breath, trying to calm down. The last thing Maya needs to witness is me getting out of control.

"Please, just tell me where I can find her." My chest heaves up and down.

Maya looks at me defiantly. "Well, since you've been wondering, let me tell you something. Nevaeh didn't drive when you kicked her out because she was too devastated to be behind the wheel. I'm glad she didn't because she could have had an accident. God, did you ever think about how much you hurt her? She cried so much she couldn't even speak properly."

Maya's eyes are filled with anguish, evidence of how much she cares for her friend.

Maya's words are a stab to my heart, which already has a big hole in it. I wish nothing but to take away the pain I've caused Nevaeh.

But the damage has already been done.

The coldness I gave her.

The cruel way I dismissed her.

The hurtful lies I threw at her.

"I'm sorry, Aiden, but you hurt her. You really hurt her," Maya says. "Nevaeh is my best friend, and I don't want her to get hurt even more. The past week has been really hard. It took a lot just to have a smile on her face again."

I let out a painful, shaky breath. Nevaeh had always been a cheerful and bubbly person, and I'm the one who took that light from her.

I've hurt the woman I love to the point that it's too painful for her to smile again.

I want to tell Maya that I will never hurt Nevaeh, but how will she believe me after what I've done to Nevaeh?

How can Nevaeh forgive me? She never will.

"Maya." I swallow a lump in my throat. "You should know that I never want to--"

Maya starts the engine, and my hand is shaking as I hold the door from closing. Restlessness consumes me. I can't let it go like this. I have to think. Fast.

I yank my phone out of my pocket and dial Sam. I'm trying to hold Maya off as long as I can while ordering Sam to get here as fast as he can. There's no other way but to follow Maya in another car.

Sam picks up on the third ring.

"Sam--"

"Don't," Maya says. "What are you doing?" She stares at me in horror.

I stare back at her, wishing that she would change her mind. Come on. Just give me the address.

I can hear Sam's voice in my ear as he speaks from the other side of the line, "What's up, boss?" He goes silent when he hears nothing. "Hello? Boss?" Another pause. "Geez, he's really going crazy." Then he hangs up.

Sam, you rascal.

What the hell. Nobody is on my side.

"Are you planning to follow me?" Maya asks in disbelief. Anger is radiating from her body. "Don't you dare do that. What you're going to do is not okay."

I know. Now that she said that, it's not even legal.

"You're giving me no choice," I say, and immediately regret it. It makes me feel like an asshole.

Maya beats the steering wheel again, looking like she's about to cry. "Why are you doing this to me? I just wanted to help Nevaeh get her car back." Her voice cracks, and it makes me feel even more guilty. "You know, we didn't want her to enter this property again."

"I'm sorry that I let you all down," I say sincerely, knowing that Nevaeh's friends only want what's best for her. "I fucked up, but I promise I won't make the same mistake again. You have to trust me. There's so much misunderstanding and miscommunication between me and Nevaeh. I thought wrongly of her feelings for me, and I thought that I was protecting her from myself. I know that it's not an excuse, but I'm trying my best to fix this."

Maya stays silent for a while before she turns her head to look at me again. She still looks torn, but I can see hope in her eyes. She has hope that I'll make it right and that I will make Nevaeh happy again.

"Fine." She finally sighs in defeat. "You promised you wouldn't hurt her again. I'm holding on to that. And this is because you threatened to follow me like a serial killer. I'm a slow driver. I don't have the skill to race this car like those in Fast and Furious movies. God, I can't believe that you did this, Aiden."

I chuckle, grateful that she's willing to help me. I know that Maya has a soft spot for helping people, and I won't take this chance for granted.

I give Maya my phone so that she can type the address. Once she's done with it, I sigh in relief.

"Thank you," I say.

She only gives me a small nod, placing her hands on the wheel. I close the door and watch as Nevaeh's car pulls out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 68.5K 63
He pinned me to the wall and brought himself impossibly close to me. I was trapped, quite literally. He grabbed my ass and I gasped at the sudden gus...
12.2M 394K 57
"Why did u punch him?" I asked in shock. "Why did you kiss him?" He asked me angrily. "What? I... but..he... " "Is he your boyfriend? Or Did he pa...
294K 7.6K 61
"Treat me like your wife. I want you to give me a chance, give this marriage a chance." He looks at me with those brilliant blue eyes of his. His eye...
14.6M 370K 70
⚠️ Published version Available in Paperback & E-Book through Amazon! Hardcover and Paperback available online at Barnes & Noble! This WattPad versio...