To Perceive an Image

De marymoonisastar

Becoming the unspoken hero of thousands isn't on the itinerary list of an unreputable psychologist like Azail... Mais

The Fun Before the Storm
Prologue: The Star's Fault
One: Images of My Future
Two: Images of My Dearies
Three: Images of My Dream in A Strange Land
Four: Images of A Pretty Stranger
Five: Images of Consequential Favors
Six: Images of Self-Conflict
Seven: Images of A Finalized Decision
Eight: Images of A Confirmation
Nine: Images of His Room
Ten: Images of A Motherly Love
Eleven: Images of Overprotective Friends
Twelve: Images of An Eventful Morning
Thirteen: Images of An Ambivalent Morning
Fourteen: Images of Unanswered Questions
Fifteen: Images of Trespassing
Sixteen: Images of An Unexpected Scheme
Seventeen: Images of Harmless Burglary
Eighteen: Images of Identity Theft
Nineteen: Images of Brainwashed Duplicates
Twenty: Images of Unforeseen Kindness
Twenty-One: Images of Heartbreaking Explanations
Twenty-Two: Images of Friends Who Are Better Than All
Twenty-Three: Images of Watery Dramatics
Twenty-Four: Images of Growing Worries
Twenty-Five: Images of An Unexpected Companion
Twenty-Six: Images of An Angry Beauty
Twenty-Seven: Images of My Romantic Confession
Twenty-Eight: Images of Meaningful Tattoos
Twenty-Nine: Images of Learned Maltreatment
Thirty: Images of an Unexpected Lesson Plan
Thirty-One: Images of What Exasperation Can Do
Thirty-Two: Images of an Undesired Second Encounter
Thirty-Three: Images of Plausible Theories
Thirty-Four: Images of Giving A Gift
Thirty-Five: Images of A Powerful Question
Thirty-Six: Images of a Realistic Response
Thirty-Seven: Images of Parental Ignorance
Thirty-Eight: Images of Needed Security
Thirty-Nine: Images of Theft
Forty-One: Images of Domestic and Foreign Discoveries
Forty-Two: Images of My Best Birthday
Forty-Three: Images of Gifted Gadgets
Forty-Four: Images of Our Final Course
Forty-Five: Images of Anticipated Domestic Nights
Forty-Six: Images of My Life's Disaster
Forty-Seven: Images of a Threatening Presence
Forty-Eight: Images of Facing Death
Forty-Nine: Images of A Hidden Secret
Fifty: Images of My Misbelief
Fifty-One: Images of His Unprecedented Return
Fifty-Two: Images of a Blurted Demise
Fifty-Three: Images of Deserved Destruction
Fifty-Four: Images of Inexplicable Pain
Fifty-Five: Images of Honest Retellings
Fifty-Six: Images of Past Wishes
Fifty-Seven: Images of a Breath of Relief
Fifty-Eight and last: Images of Restored Happiness

Forty: Images of a Planned Operation

1 0 0
De marymoonisastar

Maryanland, September 29, 2040, 7:00 AM.

"Ready?"

"Would me saying fuck no make you lead us away from here?"

Flynn chuckles, straightening out any wrinkles in the uniform I'm wearing. I would say something about how we have cute couple's matching outfits, but when I remember the origin of our clothes, I retaliate. With our plan set in mind, we met each other at our designated location at the park wearing our humble outfits. My hand clutches the ID in my hand like a lifeline. Trying my hardest to prevent its front side from becoming visible, since I am not who the ID says I am. That won't be a problem; my hands have not stopped shaking since I woke up.

My companion's exceeding levels of anticipation make up for it. I bet he convinced himself we were going to a fashion show instead of a building that houses every meaning related to the word strange. He has not stopped fixing the little things he finds on my outfit.

Are sleeves not rolled up enough? Don't worry.

Creases in some places? It's taken care of.

Misplaced baby hair? In place.

He alternates between using his hands to fix something on me or to hold my hand. It's his relaxation mechanism, not complaining. Azail from last month would pass out hearing this. Despite his suggestion for us to roll out our plan two days after my theft fiasco, he cannot control his doubtful mind.

As dramatic as it might sound, the heavy raindrops represented our mood. Part of me wants to take advantage of the loud noise. Although the ground-shaking weather has never consoled me, it is doing just that today. I'm using its boisterous presence as a tool that will cover the silent chaos Flynn and I are walking toward. My cowardice is using it as shelter.

Can't say it's helping much. In the same way, I can't determine when my next comfortable breath will happen. Breathing has been a painful task, and I can't blame my respiratory system for it. Nervous heaves are all I can manage.

Flynn tightens his hold on my hand every once in a while, or more accurately, every minute we get closer.

The uncomfortable feeling in my chest heightens when we stop in a secluded alley off to the side. Flynn crouches to make leveled eye contact, his hands resting on my shoulders.

"We're prepared, and we know what we're doing. Our hard work will not go to waste. We'll do well, breathe for me, please?" I don't know why he's begging me to breathe when I should concern myself with that, but I appreciate the gentle instructions he's giving. Doing what he said, I saw a smile raise the corners of his mouth.

While I am a walking bundle of nerves, Flynn indulges himself in deep thought. The thoughtful look in his distant eyes says so. My heart drops at the fact that I should be the one on the helping end. This is more for him than for me.

I find the courage to ask him about it after gaining composure. "What are you thinking about?" I ask, hand landing atop his to caress it. The look full of thought deepens, and he sucks in a deep breath before shrugging. "I don't know, to be honest. If I tell you an answer, I'd be lying. My mind won't stop replaying every painful day in the Image World. It has been this way since the day we figured out there might be some important information housed in this building. I guess you could say I'm nervous." He tries to give his worry less significance, but I know better. Removing his arms from my shoulders, I take my turn to comfort him.

Without a second thought, I wrap my arms around his waist, resting my head on his chest. Either my action made his pulse quicken, or his thoughts already did. I rub his back; I know I'm doing the right thing when he sighs before resting his chin atop my head.

"This will be over and hopefully done with as soon as we have a good lead, I promise you, with my life. You won't stay in that poisonous place much longer. I won't let you. Let's fight through it a little more, a happy ending awaits you. Well, I can guarantee a happy ending with me," I crane my head up to get a look at him. We exchange today's first and only genuine smiles before his arms tighten around my form, pushing us closer. I'm glad I caused that.

"What would I do without you, huh?" he sighs. His question almost sounds rhetorical, almost as if he didn't want me to answer it. "You would've been single as hell," I joke to lighten the mood, and we share a laugh.

Alas, jokes and hugs can't last forever when other things have to get taken care of in between.

Getting out of each other's homelike hold, we both share a look.

"Should anything go wrong, you get out of here without a second thought, okay?" calloused hands rub my cheeks as a worried voice warns. I nod, "you will too, right?"

A bucket full of ice water drops on top of me when the smooth elegance in his demeanor halts at my words. The worry from the mere idea of both of us not getting out of here makes me widen my eyes in anger, ready to reprimand him.

"Right, Flynn?" I press, tightening my hold around his waist in case he didn't hear the emotion in my voice.

He averts his eyes, sighing. That's not a good sign. Flynn is a man full of desire for eye contact, and what he just did does not ease my worry.

"Wallahi Flynn, if you pull some shit where you don't leave the place the moment danger arrives, I will chase you with a machete. Even better, why don't I stay in there with you, huh? How will you like that?"

His gaze returns to mine in seconds, now angry, "what did I just say, Azail?" Nuh-uh, that won't work on me.

Narrowing my eyes in a glare, "no, what did I just say? Flynn, you will not stay in there for longer than necessary. That's not a request, it's an order. If I have to go in there to do the research by myself, I will. Putting yourself in danger all to reach potential failure won't benefit you. You don't have to tell me why you're adamant about staying there for as long as possible. You want to not miss a single clue, and I don't either. Yet, I will not risk our safety for whatever reason. I don't want to make this about me, but I beg you not to add to my already skyrocketing anxiety. Please follow your instructions and leave without a second thought, too. Please?" Using the habit that makes my eyes water, I pull the puppy eyes, hoping they will work.

His gaze leaves mine again before he mutters a small curse as he stares at the moving traffic. I guess that means he's admitting defeat. Success.

Trying to conceal my winning smile doesn't work when Flynn catches it the second it happens. His face shows a lighter version of the worry from earlier, but I relax after seeing one corner of his mouth lift.

He leans down to kiss my temple, "okay, I promise. Sorry for causing the worry, I'm glad you understand." Nodding my head, I rub his back. "Don't apologize, but don't take my forgiveness as a reason to break your promise. Let's get this shit over and done with and come out unscathed."

With one last hug, we separate and make our way inside. As planned, Flynn and I will look over however many floors past the ones Vega Flynn works in. Assuming that is where our mysterious hint will be. Walking in slow steps, I cherish the sound of Flynn's loud footsteps. He suggested doing this to remind me of his presence, which my anxiety appreciates. I told him to stay behind me in case he gets recognized, so I could be his shield against whatever wrath these bastards will throw at him. It took a while to convince him. But he always agrees with whatever I tell him, so it was a piece of cake.

Taking a deep breath, I open the tall standing glass door. Images of people walking past this building in nonchalant ways remind me of its metaphorical invisibility to some. Making quicker steps to reach the ID scanning area, I scan the ID as fast as possible. The metal rod preventing me from moving forward drops to let me through.

Success.

Flynn's loud footsteps halt, I continue to make my way toward the elevator, knowing he's checking in. The faster I get near the elevator, the faster I can turn around to look at him without looking suspicious.

Thankfully, the elevator is quite close to the scanning area. A couple of steps later and I'm there. Pressing the button to the floor written on the ID card, I mock patience for the elevator by turning around to observe my surroundings.

I haven't heard Flynn's footsteps. It didn't take me that long to get in, so why is it taking him this long?

Here comes the acceleration of my heartbeat again, accompanied by harsh breathing.

When I find the bravery to look at the scanning area again, I see Flynn making his way past the metal rod. I would ask why it took him this long, but I don't want to do that here.

My eyebrows do the job when they raise a smidge, silently questioning him. Following our rule of staying silent, all I receive is a reassuring smile. I let that console me for the time being. We cannot afford to waste time. Even though we don't know what we need the time for, it's always smart to use it to your advantage.

Staying in a safe lane, we act like strangers who we're convincing people around us to believe we are. With an awkward smile and pointing towards the 65th-floor button, I tell my supposed coworker the number of my floor on the card. Like the professional actor he is, Flynn embraces the good coworker role by giving me that social smile. I prevent myself from looking at him for too long- that'll end me. Reminiscing domestic times will not make me play my role well.

Inspecting the elevator for any cameras, I breathe out in relief when I find none.

Reaching my floor, Flynn let me go with a soft smile. I would not have had the strength to get out of this elevator without his encouraging smile.

Because of our early arrival, I could count the number of people here with my ten fingers. Shades of blue color our surroundings. Despite the whiteness of the structure and decoration, the lights overhead provide a cool hue. I make sure every person here is too busy with their work on their laptop facing the wall. The walls providing a designated space for each working stand high enough to cover me if I crouch. Looking at Flynn one last time to affirm we're set in stone, I get to work when he gives a subtle nod.

Running to the workstation belonging to the owner of the ID in my pocket, I log into it the same way Flynn taught me.

What a tech genius- rather hot of him.

Stop, this is serious.

My eyes stray every once in a while. I saw two people enter the elevator we came in from. Still, it's good to check. The scariest part about the location of this desk is the window is behind me, exposing me almost. Feelings of vulnerability make me cower my shoulders a smidge.

Deep breaths, you got this.

I do.

Pretending to do something on the computer, I wipe the mouse with a disinfectant cloth once I'm done with my act.

Looking at the watch Flynn made me wear, I notice the passing of ten minutes. Perfect.

Time to go.

Standing up, I head towards the elevator after waving hello to the one coworker who isn't getting breakfast. I hope Flynn is doing well on his floor. He's supposed to have gone up nine floors to make sure the coast is clear. That's where the elevator to the higher floors is. The one that only designated people can use. Today it will include us.

Getting inside the elevator, I damn near curse out loud once I notice the last person on this floor getting in the elevator. Thank God I didn't press the button for the higher floor. That would've looked suspicious.

Pressing the button spelling the word cafeteria, I look at the tall, blonde man, asking him about his destination with my eyes. Acting like a normal human is scary to do here. My gut told me to keep as quiet as I could as we were making our way here, and I trusted its judgment.

"Cafeteria floor, please," his husky voice responded. Either he's still sleepy, or the world hasn't treated him well this morning. The way he ran his hand down his face hinted at that. Whatever, no time to question or care. Feel like an asshole for saying that, knowing my occupation.

"Are you new?" the same voice spoke again, fuck.

Looking at him for a moment to not make the tremble in my hands obvious, I nod. He nodded in understanding, a smile raising the corners of his mouth in a toothy grin. "Ah, welcome to the building, good luck working here. If you need help, ask for me, I'm Alexander." Awe, good heart, but no thanks, Alexander.

Nodding again, "thank you, Alexander."

I resist the urge to laugh at how quiet my voice grew, feeling the existence of anxiety in my fidgeting body.

Going up 65 floors did not take this long with Flynn- I swear. It's not that I feel uncomfortable in Alexander's presence, but he's still a stranger in an even stranger place. He doesn't look any older than twenty-five, but like Flynn, his face displays the hardships of life. With tired eyes and a hardened face, it doesn't take a genius to know he has been through a lot.

Poor guy.

Wonder if it's from working here or the effect of life.

Lo-and-behold, we finally fucking reach the cafeteria floor. Despite the gentlemen beside me wanting me to go first, I pretend to pick up my phone to answer a call. My convincing acting coaxes him to get out, while I pretend to copy his action. In case someone becomes obsessed with me and wants to watch me, I make a shocked expression as a reaction to whatever I'm hearing from my bogus phone. Having done that, I take hurried steps to get inside the elevator. Shutting my phone off and pressing the button to where Flynn was.

Finally, holy shit, that took a brutally long time.

Once I reach the 74th floor, I don't get a second to leave the elevator before I get hauled into a pair of muscular arms. Huh?

My heart dropped to my feet until the familiar clean smell of Flynn entered my circle. He has his arms circling me like a magnet. I want to ask him what happened, but he won't let me go. His grip only tightens when I put my hands on his chest to pull away. Deciding to help him in case he needs consoling, I hug him back. He raises one of his hands to hold the back of my head, moving it so he can kiss my forehead.

"Thank God you're okay, where were you? I thought you left because something happened," he fretted with a breathy voice, unlike his usual one.

Rubbing his back, I calm his worries, "don't worry, nothing bad happened. I followed our plan but didn't realize someone would get in the elevator as soon as I did. He wanted to go to the cafeteria, and that resulted in a trip back and forth until I had the chance to come here. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you."

He shakes his head, kissing my forehead again.

"It's okay, it's not your fault. I should've thought of that possibility. I just got worried when the ten-minute mark passed and you didn't show up," the worry in his darting eyes and trembling hands made me want to cry for him. But now's not the time.

"We'll be fine. Let's get this over with," I hold his trembling hand and lead us to the location of Silver's office. I expected more people to be present on this floor, but this floor looks to be more deserted than the one I came from. It works for us.

"Your floor has no people, there were some on my floor. Their faces damn near shoved into their computer screen," I explain the situation on the lower floor, hoping to distract him.

"Yeah?"

Okay, hot.

Anyway.

"Yes sir," I reply, and he laughs.

Walking past multiple claustrophobic hallways and going up elevators, we arrive at our destination. The original plan included pretending to fix something with surveillance- Flynn got us covered for that if we encounter anyone up there.

My chest constricts once we reach the highest floor of this building. Oddly enough, the opening elevator door shows us an office. No other room in sight, only the office.

We both thought that the floor plan of this building that Flynn hacked into meant the highest floor had multiple rooms. Guess we were wrong.

Flynn and I share a confused look before looking back at the scene in front of us.

The office has wooden walls decorated with earth-colored artifacts. Shelves filled with books align the left and right walls. Multiple seating areas varying from couches and chairs provide comfortable greetings to any guest. My brain reminds me of the true face behind whatever mask of an office is in front of us. My eyes take particular interest in the mahogany desk straight ahead of us.

Flynn's hand grabs mine as he stands in front of me. "We didn't expect this, stay behind me in case something else we don't expect shows up."

Part of me wanted to remind him that this wasn't the plan we had in mind, but I didn't want to add more stress to his stiff posture. I nod while my eyes observe every inch of the place, looking for something. Pushing my hands inside my pocket, I give Flynn surgical gloves to wear after putting mine on.

With him still standing in front of me, I find solace in clutching a small chunk of the fabric of his clothes. Taking slow, harmonized steps, we walk around, searching. We continue to do so for a few minutes. I should've listened to my advice when I told Flynn he shouldn't let potential failure let him down.

A statue of the Greek God Dionysus placed behind the leather chair of mister Silver's desk distracts me. To my amusement, which I display with a smile, I see a cabinet full of wine behind the desk. Damn, part of me wishes I would turn twenty-one instead of twenty this year. Stealing a few bottles of expensive wine would save me some dollars for my celebratory picnic. Getting drunk would bring even more amusement, I assume.

"Azail," a now composed Flynn whispers. We're both afraid to speak in audible octaves, and for a good reason.

Turning to face him, I raise an eyebrow. My head flew back in surprise when I noticed the vast distance between us. He must've crossed the room while my wine-admiring reverie took over. Flynn gestures for me to come closer with his fingers, and I do. Coming to a stop in front of him, I ask, "شنو صار؟"

What happened?

Flynn lands his eyes on me, halting my thoughts and actions doing so. The way his eyes zero in on my being made that fidgeting from the earlier return, for different reasons. His eyes captivated me enough to forget we were in a life-or-death situation. Alas, he shook his head, "ولا شيء"

Nothing.

He said it with a dazed look in his eyes, and that made me find it hard to believe him.

I squint, "I find it hard to believe you with the way you're looking at me."

"And how am I looking at you?"

"Using appropriate terms will add romance to our plot. And we can't afford to do that in such a compromising setting."

He grabs my hand, preventing me from turning away, "sorry, I wanted to tell you how pretty you look. I went to do it but got distracted by you. You don't help ease my situation, you know?" He rolls his eyes in genuine distress, making me look at fault. I'm about to pass out, nice.

"Now that you've flustered me into oblivion, can you please tell me why you called me over? Also, remember that I will get you back for that."

Flynn Rider has the nerve to smirk yet still tells me his original motive. "I found a promising folder up there," he pointed to a shelf too tall for even him to reach. I look up and borderline damage my neck with how high the shelf is. After getting more damage in my neck to fix, I look at Flynn, "okay, what about it?"

Another smirk, "I thought we could reach it if I carried you up."

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

1.4M 48.4K 34
COMPLETED I've always been the person that does whatever someone tells me I can't. Can't graduate with a four-point-oh? Check. Can't win a modeling...
5.8M 176K 38
NEW EDITION. REVISION IN PROGRESS *amateur writing. Not everyone's cup of tea.* "She turned her pain into power, her visions into victory." "Behind e...
74 0 27
10 days, 4 friends and one chance to experience Kylie Babbit is a skilled teacher and is drowned by her ever lasting marking. With her busy schedule...
Meet Me in the Middle De Aish

Ficção Adolescente

574 42 31
Sometimes, life can surprise you. Even if it takes longer than you thought. For Ayesha, life was a series of calculations and logical choices. She ha...