Dark Protector ✔

By AmandeepKaur654

★BOOK #7 in the DARK SERIES★ River Drakov is a man who protects his pack and will kill anyone that would try... More

Chapter 1: Untamed Blood
Chapter 2: The Outsider
Chapter 3: Candlelight & Champagne
Chapter 4: Centauri Institute
Chapter 5: White Knight
Chapter 6: Wartime
Chapter 7: Armour
Chapter 8: A Date with the Drakov Brothers
Chapter 9: I Love You
Chapter 10: Red Fang Pack
Chapter 11: Broken Heart
Chapter 12: Bleeding Heart
Chapter 13: Only You
Chapter 14: Hidden Scars
Chapter 15: Blood Promise
Chapter 16: Dark Night
Chapter 17: Bound To You
Chapter 18: Silk & Fire
Chapter 19: Poisoned Past
Chapter 20: Unbreakable
Chapter 22: Dark Protector
Chapter 23: Christmas Dream
Chapter 24: Epilogue

Chapter 21: Miracles

3.5K 191 161
By AmandeepKaur654

Dinner ended a while ago and King was well aware that River and Zoya hadn't come back inside after they talked on the porch. River was helping Zoya and that resulted in taking her to his cabin; King approved of that and would do the same. Except, his mate was sitting next to Ender who was petting the small pup on his lap to sleep. King wanted to take Klaus upstairs and comfort him because he could see that his mate's heart was breaking.

Robert Centauri may be dead, but he scarred Klaus to the point that he'd never really heal. Yes, there were days that Klaus didn't remember the torment that his father inflicted on him. However, after finding out how Zoya's parents abused her, Klaus was the one who took the news the hardest.

Klaus was sitting with the family and the act he played was near perfect. He had everyone fooled with his pretty smile and those gleaming emerald eyes. Yet, King's heart felt as if it was being sliced open and all the life seeped out of him. He knew that he was sensing his mate and that's why the beautiful smile didn't fool King.

King walked into the living-room and sat with Sabrina across from Klaus. He kept his distance because he knew that Klaus wasn't going to share his pain right now. He would put on a brave face and tell no one to worry about him. King had to wait for Klaus.

A hand nudged King, it was Sabrina. "You don't look good. Is everything okay?" she asked him, her gently aqua-green eyes looking at him.

"No," he couldn't deny her because Sabrina was the one person who had known King when he was a kid. She was his only friend growing up and it was true what the pack members said that he had a soft spot for her.

She followed his gaze that was glued to Klaus. "What'd you do?" she suspected.

"Why do you assume I did anything?" he retorted.

Sabrina chuckled. "Because you're the wicked one, remember?"

King couldn't deny that either. "Klaus found out that Zoya's parents abused her," he told her.

Sabrina's eyes widened. "That's not good," she said gravely.

It didn't go unnoticed by King when Sabrina put her hand gently on her belly where her baby was growing. She held a tense look and took a few deep breaths.

"I haven't even met my baby yet I would die for him or her," she said. "But there are some people out there that birth kids only to torture them. I don't think I'll ever understand why."

"I don't get it either," he said bitterly. "It seems like every one of us that's in this room has been subjected to stupid parents."

Sabrina scoffed. "That's an understatement."

King didn't know his parents nor did he search for them, and he never regretted that decision either, because he always knew the truth would hurt him more. It was better for him to believe that his parents died and no one claimed him. That's the story he went with and society had its gossip about him saying he was the devil's child... he didn't find any point in denying that either.

The entire time they had chatted while watching a movie, Klaus avoided King's gaze like he couldn't face his true feelings right now. But that was Klaus; he powered through his suffering because he never liked to take anyone's smile away. He was sitting with Ender and the small pup River with them. All three of them seem content on playing with the pup, Bone was busy feeding the pup treats and fattening him up, which the pup was in need of. King sat back and watched his little family comfort one another with no words.

A while passed before they started to get ready for bed. The girls were the first ones to say that they were exhausted and their mates followed. Viola, Azura, Lupin, Vincent and Ryder all stayed back to finish another movie because they were wide awake; King didn't know where they got their energy from.

Klaus and Ender were headed upstairs and King followed them. Bone was already in his comfy pyjamas, he said goodnight to everyone and looked ready to go to bed. King and Klaus joined Ender in his room, King stayed at the door as Klaus got Ender into bed. River- the pup was placed on the foot of the bed and rolled up into a ball before nodding off. Klaus closed the curtains and closed the lights before he went to Ender's bedside and flicked up the moon lamp for them. Ender was already asleep by the time Klaus moved from the bed and came to King so they could go to their room.

King backed into the dark hallway, his eyes on Klaus as he went into the bedroom. King walked in too and locked the door behind him. Their room was fairly dark and Klaus turned on the bedside lamps to let light in.

The silence was thick between them, but King didn't feel like making small talk and neither did Klaus.

King walked over to the other side of the room, he opened the glass doors and walked onto the balcony. He leaned his back on the railing and the night sky was dark behind him, it wasn't snowing but the wide fields were covered in soft white snow. The view must be beautiful tonight, yet his eyes stayed on the only thing in this entire world that he considered worthy being alive for.

Klaus quietly got ready for bed, he rummaged through the drawers for something, doing anything to avoid King.

King waited long enough. He let Klaus have his space. No more, this wouldn't go on longer because nothing should stop King from comforting Klaus.

"I thought we promised to share what's in our heart," he professed from outside.

Klaus froze in his tracks.

"Do you remember?" King asked.

That night was unforgettable for King. He had almost lost Klaus because he carried a burden all by himself. All the pain, abuse and sorrow that Klaus held onto cost him his life and King was left all alone. But by a miracle, Maya- their goddess had saved Klaus. Literally.

Klaus's emerald eyes lifted and locked onto King; the gaze was filled with guilt and anguish. "I'm sorry," he breathed out.

"Nothing to be sorry about. Come here-" King held his hand out.

Klaus naturally walked right over to him, no hesitation. "I didn't mean to hide anything, it's just-" he dropped his head on King's chest trying to take even breaths.

"Shhh," King held him closer. "No one can hurt you, you know I'll kill them."

Klaus shook his head. "It's not me I'm worried about," he said as he looked up. "Zoya didn't have anyone to protect her. I at least had my siblings. But she... It pains me to think what she went through all alone."

"She has River with her now," King said.

"Yes, she does," Klaus sighed unsteadily, "but that type of pain leaves memories that are worse than scars."

King stared into eyes that appeared of a ghost instead of his mate. He was thinking of his past now. "You can't hold onto that, Klaus," he said, "it won't let you live."

"I know and I have so much to live for," he said.

"I better be that reason," King jested.

"You're in the top five," Klaus remarked.

King gaped at his mate. "Top five!" he astounded. "And who else may I ask has your body, heart and soul other than me?"

Klaus walked back inside. "I think you might get jealous if I tell you," he announced back.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk-" King straightened to his full height and taking a step inside- "That answer's going to cost you," his voice darkened with intent which was clear to Klaus of what.

Klaus realized what he started. "Oh, you know what, I just remembered something that I had to do," he said.

King closed the balcony doors. He didn't want anyone hearing Klaus's moans, not even the night sky. "At eleven o' clock at night?" he questioned.

Klaus stepped back, his legs hitting the edge of the bed. "Yeah, it's very important," he said. "I should-" King blocked his path before he could escape.

King tilted his head, his eyes locked onto Klaus's lush lips. "I think you should play with me," he whispered.

Klaus shook his head.

"No?" King inched closer, until his mouth was right above Klaus's lips. "Your body is telling me something else, especially your wolf."

"My wolf betrays me in front of you," Klaus muttered.

King grinned wickedly; he just couldn't hold it in. "Even your wolf knows that I'm the only one for you," he said hotly.

King wasn't shy about his touch. He caressed up Klaus's arms, over to his waist and his back. His hands inching to his mate's neck, he traced over the raging pulse at the crook of Klaus's throat. A thirst inside King took over and he craved to mark his mate's skin. He would... all night long... taste his mate who'd lose his state of mind to ecstasy.

King laid his lips against Klaus's neck, licking and softly biting down. He licked up the pulse on his throat; the sensation of Klaus's heart against his tongue was hypnotic to King and his ravaging wolf. He moved to those hauntingly sweet lips. King ran his tongue on Klaus's bottom lip, but the man didn't budge to give back, tempting King further.

"Open your mouth, baby," King enticed with tender, slow pressure of his lips against Klaus. "Let me taste you..." the moment Klaus parted his lips enough, King took control.

The kiss was deep, hot and long. King didn't rush it nor did he forsake anything for this moment. He needed to taste Klaus's mesmerizing passion on his mouth. King ran his fingers through Klaus's golden hair and held him to keep this kiss going as long as they could both hold their breath. King pressed their bodies closer too, they melted perfectly into one another. He held his hips against his own and it was clear from King's raging erection that he needed release and only Klaus could give it.

"I breathe for you," King confessed softly. "You're mine. Never forget that."

Klaus was breathless and held King's arms for support, but King didn't keep his mate on his feet for long. The bed was right behind them and he didn't waste any time getting on it.

King stripped his mate of his clothes. And with every piece gone, his breath was taken away at the sight of Klaus's perfect body. There were no words to describe his beauty, it was as if he was touched by divine... but there was truth to that. Klaus was touched by Maya. He really was an angel and he was captured by King.

King's wolf appeared at the edge, his lust overwhelming them both. He didn't lie but he had to use every ounce of strength to get his wolf to back off. He leaned down, locking their lips together and he kissed Klaus hard. Both of them driven to the brink of insanity. He held Klaus's wrists, not letting them free as he bound their bodies together, his tongue deep in his mate's mouth, the small moans slithering up King's body and making his blood hot as lava.

"Fuck... you drive me crazy," he growled against his lips.

Klaus's emerald eyes gleamed, they seem to drink off the moonlight beaming into the room. They bewitched King under his spell and that's all he needed to push him over the edge.

King trailed down his mate's body, he kissed every inch, grabbing the edge of his boxers, he pulled it off and revealed the hardened shaft.

"King," Klaus's voice came out in a shaky moan.

King heard the desperation and put his mouth on the head of the shaft, licking the slit and seeing the flash of carnal desire grow in Klaus's gaze. Spreading his legs apart, so his shoulders fit between them, King licked up the hard shaft and knew exactly what drove his mate insane. King swallowed the throbbing shaft in his mouth, letting the size into his tight throat and going further each time Klaus begged him to stop.

King restrained Klaus, holding him down, as he controlled his orgasm. King was ferocious and greedy. He didn't wait to build it up, he forcefully made Klaus feel everything except the pain from earlier. He wanted to erase the sorrow in Klaus, and what was better than a ground-breaking orgasm.

"I'm coming, King," Klaus warned. "Stop-"

King didn't stop, his instinctive growl reverberated through him and around Klaus's shaft. The last push down and Klaus came. He restrained against King's hold, but King didn't let go, he never would.

King lifted his head with a smug look on his face. He stripped off his own shirt, his toned muscles in view for Klaus to see and the man didn't shy away from looking. "Top five huh," he reminded with a defiant grin. "What about now?" Klaus's cheeks that were dusted a light pink turned to a shade of red, it was so cute. "I know you're obsessed with me, baby," King jested. "Don't even try to deny it."

"Top three then," Klaus remarked.

King raised a brow. "Seriously," he said sternly.

Klaus let out a sweet laugh. "You're so easy to mess with," he said.

King's sapphire gaze darkened like two matching flames. His hand worked on the buckle of his pants and then he pulled the thick leather out of the loops. "You do make a mess out of me," his voice was low and guttural. "I want to fuck you so hard that you can't move tomorrow without remembering that I was inside you-" King saw the flicker of longing and submission in Klaus's eyes- "Yet, something holds me back because a part of me wants to make love to you, slowly and all-night long. I want to kiss every part of you, taste you and hold you."

"King," Klaus's voice was a whisper but it echoed through King's heart.

King unbuttoned his pants, pulling the zipper down too. "I want to dominate you but also surrender myself to you," he said as he bent down and kissed up Klaus's abdomen.

Klaus put his hand on King's cheek. "I don't mean to," he mumbled.

King grinned, he leaned up and laid a soft kiss on Klaus's pout. "Spread your legs," he whispered his command, "I'm dying to be inside you."

Klaus combed his fingers through his dark hair. "I've been dying to feel you too," he said before he bit King's bottom lip. "How long are you going to make me wait?"

A feral hunger shot through King that he was suppressing. He geared into action, pulling his throbbing shaft out of his pants and he aligned himself to Klaus's entrance. He thrusted in one full sweep, his mate's body consuming him in fire and sweetness. King braced himself, his body wasn't his anymore and he wasn't able to hold back. He almost came right then and there.

Klaus caressed down his back, his fingers electrifying all the sensation that the simple touch shot straight through King to his throbbing shaft. Klaus kissed him then moved his lips to King's neck, down his throat over to the crook of his shoulder. He knew exactly what drove King wild.

"You have to stop," King growled.

Klaus licked his neck then, his teeth exposing and he ran them along his tough shoulder. He ran his nails across the large expansion of his back, Suddenly, as Klaus tightened his hold on King, he locked his teeth on King's shoulder and marked him.

The pressure of the mark bonding into him was catastrophic. King couldn't control himself and he came powerfully. The ecstasy blinded King and he did nothing but seek Klaus's lips. He tasted his own blood that was not poisoned when he licked it off Klaus's lips.

King then knew what he had to do. He pulled out of Klaus, the separation killed them both. Klaus moaned his desperation and that was enough to thicken King's shaft again. He didn't waste a second before he rammed back inside Klaus sending both of them into oblivion of dark passion.

He grabbed a hold of Klaus's hands, their fingers locked together, never letting the other go. King knew he wouldn't survive it. As he plunged deep inside his beautiful mate, he was consumed with love, beauty and mercy. King found peace inside his mate and he'd protect him forever, but he'd occasionally fuck the life out of him.

King shifted, he kneeled between Klaus's legs, his shaft buried deep inside him. He looked at the way his shaft was being swallowed and Klaus's shaft had hardened and was dripping itself. King ran his strong hands down his mate's thighs.

"Your body is beautiful," he confessed, "it was made for me."

Klaus moaned as King controlled his shaft inside him. He pulled out slowly only to push back as hard as he could. He spread him out and let his cock enjoy the sensation to the fullest. There was no need to take it slow, he wanted to fuck Klaus like the animal that he was.

His hypnotic thrusts turned wild and loose like he had craved all day. He grabbed Klaus's hips and held him where he wanted him, under his power and completely consumed with pleasure and nothing else. King was fast, hard and merciless.

He hovered over Klaus, looking at his mate's lips hungrily. "Kiss me, Klaus," he said hotly.

Klaus's burning emerald eyes licked the sinful darkness inside King. He didn't let King wait as both of them locked lips and tasted each other, it was like King was eating honey off Klaus's lips. The sweet, lustful taste of his mate was enough to make King drunk. As he plunged his cock into Klaus, his tongue had twined with Klaus's tongue and they hadn't quit.

The world around them disappeared and all they could see and feel were each other. The bonding scent of theirs exploded in the room and powered both their wolves.

"Do you want to come?" he asked his mate in a heated daze.

Klaus moaned as he was overwhelmed by all the sensations. He moaned in response and it was so fucking divine to hear.

"I don't know what you want if you don't tell me," King teased as he slowed his thrusts. He bent down kissing along Klaus's neck, leaving a mark every time he moved. "I can stop if you want," he whispered hotly against Klaus's neck, Suddenly, Klaus tightened his hold on King's shaft holding him inside him. "You don't want me to stop?" he asked as he pushed into him deeper. "Use your words, baby. Do you want me to make you come?"

"Yes, I need you, please," Klaus moaned out breathlessly.

He chuckled. "I can't deny you anything," King said before he did what his mate asked of him.

King knew his mate and he was close to coming and so was he. He thrusted into him, taking both of them over the edge and they orgasmed together.

King collapsed on top of Klaus, he knew he was heavy and moved to get off him but Klaus tightened his arms over him and held him to his body. King closed his eyes and stayed in his mate's arms. There was no were else he'd rather be than here.

After both of them calmed, King leaned back not pulling himself out of Klaus. He kissed his mate's cheek. "We're not done, baby," King whispered.

King shifted Klaus over on his stomach and took him fast and hard.

After a while, King had spent a long time tasting Klaus's body with his mouth. Klaus was begging King who hadn't let him orgasm, it was only after King had fisted Klaus's shaft and took it in his mouth that Klaus orgasmed and collapsed in exhaustion on the bed.

By then it was close to dawn.

"Don't fall asleep," he whispered. "Let's shower-" Klaus held his arms out to him- "is that another invitation, baby?"

Klaus pushed King back and rolled out of bed himself. King followed behind him with laughter on his lips.

The shower was meant to be quick, but as King used soap on his mate's body, he couldn't resist sliding back inside him and claiming him again. King held Klaus against the wall, sizzling hot water slid between them and they reached their peak more than once.

It was after the shower, that Klaus ran out of energy. King didn't mind taking him back to bed himself. He never bothered dressing Klaus either, which made it a lot easier for morning fun and games.

King came around the bed and put Klaus under the duvet. He closed all the lights and the curtains before he slid into bed. He put his arm over Klaus and pulled him against his body, not letting anything between them.

Klaus snuggled back, his back against King's chest. King breathed in the soft scent of his mate, letting it lull him into sleep too.

It was the first time, Ender didn't wake up covered in sweat from the haunting nightmares of his past. He turned over on his side and faced the large windows where the curtains blocked the bright golden rays of the morning light.

Ender sat up on the bed when the ball of fur shifted and woke up too. It was Zoya's dog who happened to be named River too. Ender almost laughed when he found out, it like she deliberately wanted to tease the scary human River. He greeted the pup as he ruffled his fur and looked into those big blue eyes. The eyes that resembled Ender's, like both of them understood each other without any words. A hard past full with abuse and now in a home where everyone took care of them. They didn't feel deserving yet their heart was set on staying here forever.

Ender got out of bed and dressed for school, even though it was only six o'clock in the morning.

After a shower, he dried off and put on a turtle-neck sweater and then the dark green jumper Vincent got him. He put on his jeans and then socks before grabbing his school bag and walking out of the room. No one seemed awake yet, so he went downstairs expecting to be alone.

"Good morning," Bone greeted him from the kitchen with a cup of coffee in his hand and a book, "you're up early."

Ender didn't know why, he just felt like he should make the most of right now. "Yeah, um- good morning to you too," he stammered out.

Bone smiled warmly before he got up from the stool and greeted River. He filled up a bowl of water and put food for him too. The pup got busy and Bone came up to Ender.

"Are you hungry?" Bone asked.

"Not really," said Ender.

"Okay. Are you going to school?" Bone asked.

Ender didn't know. It was a bit early for school. "Um, I don't really know," he said.

"Then would you like to join me?" Bone asked and Ender nodded his answer. "Put your shoes on. Let me grab something before we go."

Ender did as he was told. He put on his shoes, jacket at the front door and Bone returned with a tote bag in his hand. He got dressed in his jacket, boots and scarf before they stepped out. River had done eating by then and walked out with them too.

Ender didn't know where Bone was taking him. He just followed him down the long path on the field towards the woods.

Through the tall pine trees, the amber light of the sun shined on every inch of this place. The piles of snow that crunched under their boots was glimmering as if diamonds laid around them. Ender never thought snow as a good thing when he was a slave, yet now it was mesmerizing to him. He could sit and stare at it pile up during a storm all day. As he trailed down the forest, his ears filled with the playful chirps of the birds and the rustling of trees.

What was this feeling inside him? Ender wondered.

The rays of the sun on his face; the breeze cooling his warm cheeks; the birds playing above him in the trees; rabbits hopping past them. He didn't understand what was happening. An overwhelming sensation rocked his core and he felt his heart racing.

"Right over here," Bone said, "this is my favourite spot."

Ender saw a flat boulder overlooking a part of the lake and the other side of the forest where there were a few cabins. The sun was brimming over the water, melting the sheen of ice for the animals to come take a drink.

Ender took a seat on the boulder with Bone. "This place is beautiful," he said. "Thank you for showing me your favourite spot."

"You're welcome," he said. "I come here at dawn to see the sunrise. I even make sure to come here to see the moon rise too. This boulder has the best view. You can come any time you'd like."

Ender nodded in response. "How'd you find this spot?"

Bone looked at the view with his blue gaze gleaming brightly. "I woke up one day feeling exactly like you are right now," he revealed.

Ender glanced at him, his face holding a confused expression. "I don't really know what I'm feeling right now," he admitted truthfully.

"I know what you mean. Honestly, after I started living here with this pack did I truly understand the meaning of being free," he said. "I didn't look over my shoulder anymore and I didn't wake up in a cramped cage-" Ender's heart dropped and he gaped at Bone- "King didn't tell you?"

"No," answered Ender. "You were a slave fighter too?"

Bone's expression saddened, which was strange since it always felt like Bone was the type to be happy and optimistic. "I was a slave longer than I was even a person," he shared.

Ender's eyes burned and his throat too; tears were eminent. He sniffled his nose and hid his eyes from Bone.

"For so long, I lived in a cage that when I got out, no one taught me how to live my life as a free man," said Bone.

"How'd you do it?" Ender asked.

"I started small," said Bone with a smile. "I enjoy cooking and I started working at the library with all the kids. But more than that, I did what I couldn't do in the cages. I walked as a free wolf to see the sun rise in the morning or the phases of the moon at night. It may be ordinary to others, but to us, it's completely new."

Ender body filled with the crisp air and Bone's words. "Is that what I'm feeling?" he asked. "Freedom?"

"And peace," Bone added.

"It's scary," he said.

"It was scary for me too," said Bone. "I was all alone in this huge world and was told that I was free. But I didn't know how to live like that."

"I don't either," said Ender.

"Don't push yourself, Ender," reassured Bone. "Just like me, you'll also realize what gives you the courage to keep on living."

Bone rummaged through his bag and pulled out a thermos bottle. He opened the lid which became a cup as well and poured a dark amber liquid into the cup which was steaming now. He passed it over to Ender and then he poured himself some in the extra cup he had brought.

Ender's hands warmed around the silver lid and his nose caught the fragrance of apples, oranges and cinnamon.

"This is my winter cider that I brewed yesterday, it gets sweeter if you leave it overnight," Bone said.

"Thank you," said Ender, as he carefully took a sip of the hot beverage. He liked the smell and it was a lot sweeter than it looked. The taste of apples and cinnamon poured down his throat, warming him from inside. "It's delicious," he added.

Bone smiled at him. "I'm happy you're with us, Ender," he said. "I think you make a beautiful family with King and Klaus-"

"And with you-" Ender blurted out.

Bone blinked in surprise but quickly smiled. They both sat for a little while longer in front of the sun rising above the trees drinking the cider. It was when Bone saw the time on his watch that he got ready to go inside to make everyone breakfast.

"Are you sure you don't want breakfast?" Bone asked again.

"Yeah, I'll just get food from the cafeteria later," he said.

"Okay," he gave in. "I'm going to head back otherwise everyone is going to go crazy if I don't have breakfast ready-" Bone closed the thermos- "you keep this and drink when you're feeling tired."

"Thanks," said Ender as he grabbed the bottle and put it in his bag.

Bone waved off and walked back to the forest, River followed him back to the house too. Ender stayed back a little longer because school didn't start for another half an hour.

Sitting alone on the boulder, Ender didn't think much about the past or the future. He just took Bone's word for it and tried to figure out if this was where he wanted to start a new life. Was this his home? he wondered quietly for quite some time.

Suddenly, the bushed behind him rustled and he heard the snow crunching as if someone was rushing towards this spot. Ender jumped off the rock and faced the threat, when suddenly, the cool familiar scent wafted towards him. Moments passed and Jaxx appeared in a ruffled appearance.

"Jaxx?" Ender astonished.

"What are you doing here?" Jaxx asked. "Are you trying to drown in the river?"

Ender frowned and wondered if maybe he was a bit too unstable. "No, I was just sitting here," he said. "How'd you find me?"

Jaxx tried to catch his breath. "My house is right there," he pointed across the lake. "I saw you when I woke up."

Ender took a seat back on the boulder. "You worried for no reason," he muttered.

Jaxx came up beside him leaning on the boulder. "Are you coming to school today?" he asked.

"Yeah," he answered.

Jaxx nodded and went quiet. Ender stole a few glances to his side wondering if Jaxx would say anything or ask more questions, but he hadn't. He stood in his jacket and his dark hair was ruffled like he had just rolled out of bed.

"You can go if you want," Ender said. "I won't try to kill myself."

Jaxx's sterling grey eyes looked at Ender and for a brief moment Ender had found himself caught under that gaze. "The lake looks prettier in the summer," he said.

"Prettier than this?" Ender astounded. The lake was gorgeous even now, frozen like the way it was.

"You can't swim in it right now," said Jaxx. "Do you know how to swim?"

Ender shook his head. "I think water's nicer from a distance," he mumbled.

Jaxx looked horrified. "I'm going to teach you how to swim," he pledged.

Ender briefly smiled. "I'll try my best," he said.

Jaxx seemed surprised by the answer but didn't raise any questions. "You know we're getting late for school, right?" he said moments later.

Oh no! Ender had lost track of time. He jumped off the boulder and ran to the school with Jaxx following him. They rushed through the school doors and went to Mrs. Anderson's class just before she was about to close the classroom door.

She was surprised seeing the two of them together. "Just on time," she said. "Come in."

Ender scampered to his seat and sat down. He quietly took off his jacket and hung it behind him. He opened his bag as softly as he could and pulled his books out. Jaxx seemed unbothered by it and made as much noise as he could before he sat down beside Ender.

The class started without any other interruptions...

They continued the book they were reading and Mrs. Anderson assigned new material for homework. Ender took a note of it so he could finish it at home before class tomorrow.

Class ended and they got ready for second period.

Ender got up and realized that it was the day they had gym class. He had totally forgotten about that. He hated gym because they shared the locker room to change their clothes. But he didn't change with the other boys because they would see his marks.

"Hey, come on," Jaxx said. "We'll be late."

Ender didn't follow Jaxx inside the locker room. "You go," he said. "I forgot something." He ran off and left Jaxx alone.

Ender knew that it only took all the boys close to five minutes to change and walk into the gymnasium. So, after several minutes, he went back to the locker room to change into his clothes.

Ender crept inside and as he guessed it was empty. He went to his locker in the corner and opened it, he pulled out his clothes and put his bag inside the small box. He switched his jeans into the dark track pants and pulled off his sweater and turtle-neck to put on the track jacket.

"I can't believe I forgot to change my shoes again!" exclaimed a student.

"You're such an idiot," another spoke up.

Ender paled and his entire body froze as if he was dosed with ice. It was Boyd and Sam and they both froze when they saw Ender too. He didn't know what to do or say. All he knew was that his past was exposed.

"You always change after us," said Boyd.

"Yeah, what's up with that?" asked Sam as they both walked in closer.

Boyd looked down at Ender's torso. "Are those tattoos?" he astounded.

Ender felt the world under his feet fall off its axis. He was blanking out and flashes of black appeared in front of his eyes. He couldn't do anything except feel his body give up on him.

"Sam, Boyd," a voice said. "Get out right now."

Ender didn't look up to see what happened not when all he could hear was his heart hammering in his ears. The room emptied and a figure approached Ender. Suddenly, a jacket was put over his shoulders.

"You need to put your arms through it," it was Jaxx in front of him.

Ender lifted his arms and put them through the sleeves. Jaxx zipped it all the way up and made sure his neck was covered just how he liked it. He didn't remember his sweater being so large on him though.

"Are you okay?" Jaxx asked.

Ender finally looked up into that firm gaze, not just any, they were Jaxx's grey eyes. They wavered Ender on his feet and he couldn't find himself moving away from him. Jaxx had seen his marks before, and even now he didn't seem bothered. But Sam and Boyd would be different, they would tell everyone.

"Ender," Jaxx's voice snapped him out of his thoughts. "Don't worry about them. They won't say anything."

"How can you be so sure?" Ender asked.

"Because I'll beat the shit out of them if they do and they know it," said Jaxx. He closed Ender's locker and grabbed his shoes to help him into them. "Let's go, we'll be late or do you want to skip class?"

"We can't do that," Ender said.

"Of course, we can," said Jaxx.

"Let's just go before we get in trouble," said Ender.

They went to gym class and as Ender sat all the way in the back, not wanting to participate, he just watched Jaxx play basketball with the other boys. He was a lot more competitive than the others and it showed from how he played. He was drenching in sweat with only a t-shirt and shorts on. His team were enthusiastic that Jaxx was on their side, but the other team was not. Frankly, the game looked ridiculous to Ender. He didn't understand why everyone was chasing after that one orange ball and scoring into the hoops hovering in the air; yet Jaxx made it look fun. Ender wanted to leave and go to science class or even art. This was the last place he needed to be.

Surprisingly, Boyd and Sam didn't bother him. They hadn't even looked his way the entire time. The two were just busy playing the game with the others. Ender guessed that Jaxx talked to them about it.

After the class ended, Ender hurried into the locker room and didn't bother changing. He grabbed his bag, stuffed his clothes inside it and ran out.

The rest of the day, Ender spent it in his gym clothes. He went to all his classes and just like that the day had come to an end. He was punctual as he gathered his stuff and went outside the building of the school to back to the house. It wasn't that cold outside today. He walked down the few steps and was about to leave, when a hand grabbed his arm.

"Where you going?" It was Jaxx.

"Er-" he gestured to the Centauri house.

"You need to return my sweater," Jaxx said.

"Sweater?" Ender puzzled.

Jaxx looked at the track jacket that was peeking from under his coat. "You have my sweater," he said. "I need it back."

"Oh," he muttered.

Ender didn't realize that he was even in Jaxx's sweater. No wonder it was big on him. But if he took it off then he'd be showing his marks again. He looked around and saw all the other kids walking around.

"Come with me," Jaxx said as he grabbed his hand and pulled Ender back into the school.

Ender was startled that Jaxx held his hand. "Hold on-" Jaxx ignored all his protests and pulled him into the boys' lavatory.

Jaxx pushed all the stall doors open checking if it was empty and it was. "Okay, you can change here," he said.

Ender went into the stall and changed out of the sweater into his own clothes, that wrinkled a lot since they were stuffed into his bag. After he was done, he stumbled out of the bathroom with his bag and Jaxx's sweater in his hand.

"Here," he muttered as he held out the sweater. "I'm sorry for wearing it."

"I was the one who put it on you," said Jaxx, he held his sweater in his fisted palm. "Hey, are you okay?" They both walked out of the school together, and it was sudden, when a group of students approached Jaxx.

Ender didn't stay for that, he walked off alone and went back to the house. Jaxx was left with his friends.

Ender just entered the door when he took his boots off and his jacket. He hung it on the hook and walked upstairs to his room. He wasn't hungry since at lunch time he ate at the cafeteria and drank the cider Bone gave him. So, he didn't go downstairs and planned on staying in his room.

He freshened up and had just put on his clothes, when there was a knock on the door. He didn't know it was and looked blankly at the door. It opened and it was Hailey.

"Sorry, am I disturbing you?" she asked.

Ender stood to his feet. "No, I was just-" he blanked out and went quiet. "Did you need me for something?"

"Gideon wanted to read with you," she said. "I'll just tell him you're busy."

"No, it's okay," said Ender. "I would like to read with him too."

Hailey smiled. "Thanks, it means a lot. He's downstairs," she said.

Ender followed Hailey downstairs and since everyone was still at work, the house was pretty much empty. It was only Hailey and Gideon lounging in the living-room with blankets and in their pyjamas. Ender joined them, especially Gideon on the big, comfy chair. He didn't know how much time passed was he read a few books to Gideon.

Hailey had gone to the kitchen much later to cook dinner for everyone. She happily boasted about making the best macaroni and cheese in the world, which would blow everyone's mind away.

Ender sat comfortably with Gideon who had fallen asleep by his side and Ender didn't have the heart to wake him up. So, he sat in the chair as long as the boy napped. The pup River had joined them too. He sat by the chair who was eagerly awaiting Zoya's return too.

The front door suddenly opened and Ender always got apprehensive when it did. He didn't know who it was or what they would say. It wasn't an unknown fact that Ender wasn't sociable, even though wolves were.

Ender tried to stay calm and distract himself with his book that he brought down just in case, since Gideon fell asleep after the third one.

Keeping his eyes on the page, a figure appeared and it was dauntingly large. It was Hunter Centauri- the beta and father of Gideon. Ender's face paled and he stared at the man's dangerous amber eyes that looked between his son and Ender.

"I- er- I was just-" Ender didn't know what to do when Hunter approached them- "Hailey said that I could read to Gideon." He thought that maybe if Hunter knew that Hailey wanted Ender here that he'd go easy on him and not kill him for being near his child. "I'm sorry, I didn't-" a warm, soft blanket touched Ender. He looked at the beta putting a blanket over their legs, he kissed his son's head and ruffled Ender's black hair before he walked away.

"Hey, you're home," Hailey said with a smile as she saw her mate in the foyer.

Ender always found it strange the way the beta completely changed from stoic to sincere when he laid his eyes on Hailey. He put his arms around her and kissed her softly, like he finally found the reason to breathe again. They both disappeared into the kitchen.

Ender looked down at the blanket on his legs and wondered that maybe he should let everything he learned in the cages go. He should learn the new ways and live a new life now. However, he was still scared. Everything around him was so different that he didn't know how to think of it all as real.

More members of the household stormed inside the house. What once was peaceful had flipped upside down and chaos erupted quickly. Gideon had woken up and had joined the fun too. Bone, Viola, Vincent, Ryder, River, King and Klaus all came home together. Sabrina and Gabriel were the last to arrive.

Ender folded the blanket and put it on the couch joining the group in the kitchen.

"We brought cake," said Gabriel and Sabrina.

"What's the occasion?" asked Viola. "Did I forget someone's birthday?"

"No, it's nobody's birthday yet," reassured Hailey.

"You'll know soon enough," said Gabriel. "But first, everyone, freshen up and we'll join later for dinner."

"Wait, where's Zoya?" asked Sabrina. "Why isn't she with you, River?"

"She's stuck at work," said River. "I told her to leave it for tomorrow, but she wanted to finish it all before she came over."

"Hold on, did I hear that right?" asked Vincent. "You told someone to stop working. Oh my god, what has happened to this world?"

The group laughed at River.

"You know what, I feel like killing you," River remarked.

Vincent put his hands up in defence and walked off. "I'm going to shower before I lose my head," he said as walked off with his sister upstairs.

Everyone started to walk off and Bone was already in his apron helping Hailey in the kitchen. Ender was going to continue reading his book from Mrs. Anderson's class at the kitchen table. He had just sat down when Gabriel stood in front of him.

"I need to talk to you," he said and then he shifted and looked at King and Klaus. "You two as well. Follow me."

The three of them exchanged a confused look, but still followed after Gabriel to his office. River and Ryder had joined them too. Ender immediately thought that he was being kicked out and that Alpha Gabriel finally realized that it wasn't suitable to keep someone with a revolting past like Ender's. They didn't want him anymore and they needed to figure out where to send him. They wouldn't give him back to the cage fights, would they? He erased that thought before he fully heard himself scream it. He didn't want to leave... not when he just thought he found his home.

Gabriel leaned against his desk, a few papers in his hands and he was frowning while reading them over. The silence was thick in the room, Ender wasn't the only one feeling it. King and Klaus were sharing worried expressions themselves.

"Someone want to tell us what's going on?" King asked irately.

"Nothing to lose your temper over," Gabriel remarked. "I brought you three here to make it official."

King and Klaus looked at each other confused and so did Ender. "What?" They all asked.

"Being parents to Ender," said Gabriel. "We need to make it official. I have the papers ready if you are?"

"When did you do that?" Klaus asked.

"Vincent and I worked all night a few weeks ago," Gabriel said.

"Hold on, I'm not being kicked out?" Ender blurted out.

Gabriel frowned then. "No. Why would you think that, son?" he replied.

"I don't understand," Ender mumbled as he stared at everyone in the room.

"We were ready from the day we met him, Gabriel," said Klaus.

"I know," Gabriel smiled warmly.

Klaus bent down and looked at Ender. "Do you want us as your parents?" he asked. "Do you want this to be your home?"

Ender grew pale and he gaped at them. "Why would you want me?" he blabbered. "I'm nothing but street trash. I- I- don't-"

Klaus gathered the boy that was shaking like a leaf in his arms. "It doesn't matter where you were born. All that I know is that you are mine to protect and love forever."

Ender didn't know when he started crying. He was in Klaus's arms; the very arms that held him when he first came to this pack. This was where he found a home.

It was after a while, he had stopped crying and signed the papers. He didn't really understand much, only that after he had clumsily signed his name on the paper, he had become a part of this huge pack as an equal.

"You're a Centauri now," announced Gabriel proudly.

Ender was a Centauri. This had to be a dream- all of it. But he prayed it wasn't. He prayed hard that he really was with this family, and that Klaus and King were his own.

They went downstairs and Ender was still a bit frazzled by everything. He stood in the middle of King and Klaus while everyone was congratulating them. Everyone also figured out that Gabriel brought cake to celebrate this occasion. But they were going to cut it after dinner and some members were still missing, especially Azura who would throw a fit is she found out they all ate cake without her.

Dinner was just about to be served when the room's cheerful mood darkened with tension that was emitting from River.

"Why isn't Zoya here yet?" Sabrina asked them.

"Do you think she's taking revenge on your ass for when you stood her up?" teased Vincent.

"I would," mocked Ryder.

"Zoya wouldn't do that," said River. "Something's not right."

"Azura and Lupin were with her today. Why haven't they called yet?" asked Hunter.

Fortunately, River's phone rang. "It's Lupin and Azura," said River. "Hello?" He put the phone on speaker.

"We've got a problem," Lupin's voice was agitated.

"Where's Zoya?" River asked, his tone hadn't concealed his panic.

"We were following her back home when she got tailed by a couple of vans," Azura said irately. "She raced off and we lost her. She's fast-"

"She's a pro-racer," said Ryder. "I've seen her skill firsthand and it's no joke."

"She's gone," announced Lupin.

"She's not gone," River gritted out. "She's been taken."

"By who?" asked the group in the kitchen.

"Her parents," Ryder answered for River.

River had enough. He was going to end that entire family once and for all for touching his mate. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

176K 7.2K 25
★BOOK #5 in the DARK SERIES★ Featuring the next Iron Blood pack wolf; Adrik Vasiliev murdered his father and helped his cousins kill their entire pa...
90.4K 4.2K 21
★BOOK #8 in the DARK SERIES★ Lazarus Iron is a man with a code. Raised to be a killer, he perfected the art of being a predator who was feared by al...
511K 11.2K 45
"Uhm.. Sir? Can I help you?" I mumble while staring at him. He breaks out into a huge grin, the kind of grin you see on little kids when they get th...
101K 3.8K 58
"I don't care that you're my mate. I will never... and I repeat, I will never be yours, Hunter." she grits her teeth, making Hunter smirk. "Is that a...