Artful Deceit & Love

By thatdesinari

Three strong individuals Three powerful royals Three wishful desires But these very desires webs them togeth... More

Theme + Characters
1.Arranged
2.First meeting
3.The Ring
4.Meeting the stranger
5.Meeting him
6.Rivalry
7.Jerkface
8.Meeting him again!
9.A friendly date!
10.Jealousy
11.Concern
12.Power Couple
13.Just one date!
14.Something unique
15.Silence before the storm!
16.Futile Attempts
17. Beginning of deceit
19. A distracting ploy!
20. In love!
21. Friends!
22. White Rose
23. Impression!
24. Belongs to you!
25.Reality
26. Wishful thinking
27. Conceited
28. I hate you!
29. The Proposal
30. Acceptance
31. Exclusively mine!
32. Bad dream
33. Closed door
34. Lies we tell
35. Defiance
36. Some answers
37. The Truth
38. A way with words
39. Home
40. Reception Party
41. Platonic
42. A mere chess piece
43. Not a puppet
44. My person

18. Logic versus Emotions!

608 46 7
By thatdesinari

Mridula's POV

"You have been MIA for the past few days...Where were you?" Anika asked while cutting some shapes from the light pink chart paper.

"I have been busy with work!" I shrugged as I diverted my attention to Rahul.

And also busy going on dates with Vaibhav. But that's something I'll tell them later. As I just feel it is too early to make it public. Time with him felt perfect...way too perfect! He was the perfect boyfriend: caring, funny, and kind. But there was something I just couldn't decipher.

"And this we'll use for decorating!" I said as I folded the paper multiple times.

We were at the Foundation, volunteering by helping the children with their homework and studies. We three volunteer here twice a week and we have been doing this since we were in high school. It is one of the activities that we are very diligent about.

"You missed our ice cream date also!" Meera stated as she checked Nidhi's progress with her math problems. Nidhi, who was in fifth grade eyed her with hope in her eyes.

"Again work!" I shot back as I got down to help Rahul finish his school project.

They both looked at me with doubtful eyes. And they were right, I had gone to meet Vaibhav at a restaurant that night.

"All of this is correct, Nidhi. Good job!" Meera high-fived her and Nidhi beamed with happiness.

The rest of the afternoon was spent in teaching and helping the children.

We were standing near the iron gates of the NGO, when I received a text from Vaibhav. He was going out for a few days for a business trip to London and he wanted to meet me before his departure.

"Tomorrow, we have to go for the food donation. So, be there on time!" Meera ordered as she hugged me and got in her car. Both of us waved at her as she drove away and then Anika and I walked to my car.

"By the way, where is your car?" I asked as we got in.

"Oh...I forgot to tell you! I was reverse backing my car in a hurry and I dashed it with Patel Uncle's car. So, it has gone for servicing!"

I shook my head and was about to start the car when my phone pinged again. I then remembered I forgot to message him back. I messaged him that I was going to Anika's hospital and he could meet me at the cafe across from it.

"Who are you messaging?" She asked as she fastened her seatbelt while she stared at me with a raised eyebrow.

"No one...Let's go!" I said as we drove off.

I dropped her off at the hospital which had tight security for some reason today. After that, I quickly drove to the cafe and parked my car nearby. I was surprised to see him waiting for me outside.

"I missed you!" He said as he wrapped his arms around me. I stilled at the sudden gesture. We have been on a few dates but I still feel awkward around him for some reason. Maybe it is because it has been years since I dated, so it will take time to get used to these physical gestures. Maybe my overthinking side is taking over again and it is making me analyze everything with scrutiny. I have to make myself remember that it is not a courtroom but my feelings that we are talking about.

He backed away with a warm smile on his face."And I'll miss you more when I am away. But it is Dad's order that I handle that deal."

I nodded in understanding, "Let's go in!"

"Sorry, I can't... My flight leaves in an hour and Dad is also coming along." He said as he glanced at his watch.

"But I wanted to see you before I went away!" I felt him walk closer to me and caress my cheek.

"I will miss you, Mridula!" He whispered as I stared at his face and my gaze stopped at his eyes. The words reached my ears but somehow not my heart.

"What about you?" I heard him ask. I opened my lips to say something when my phone blared in my sling bag. I squeezed my eyes shut for a second in embarrassment. We moved away from each other and I took it out to find an unknown number calling me. I heard him sigh as I picked it up.

"Hello!"

"Yaar...! I forgot my phone in your car. Will you bring it to me?" Anika pleaded from the other side.

I gazed at Vaibhav who looked at his wristwatch again impatiently.

"Hmm, sure!" I whispered as I cut the call.

"I have to go now!" Vaibhav said as his car stopped in front of the cafe building. Before we could say anything else, it was his phone that interrupted us. His eyes turned stern as he glanced at the phone screen. His smile vanished and was replaced by a grim expression.

"I'll see you after a few days!" Then he hugged me and this time, I wrapped my hands around him to reciprocate it. I just couldn't answer his gestures blankly every time. His face flashed with a faint smile and then he got in and drove off.

.

As I entered the reception of the hospital, I was taken aback by the amount of security there. I waved at Kavita and Suman, who were on reception duty today and they waved back with broad smiles. Every guard was glancing around with attentive eyes. Must be some important person's surgery or something! I called back to the number that Anika had used to contact me.

"Where are you?" I asked as soon as I heard her hello.

"Fifth floor! Hurry up I have to go for a round after this! I am just outside the gynecology ward."

I hummed as I cut the call. I made my way to the elevators without any problem because almost all the guards here know me. Thanks to Anika and also partially because of my friendly nature.

The sliding double doors of the lift opened up and I gulped down hard. My senses numbed for a second but then I composed myself and entered the lift. My heart was pumping blood fast than required. I tried to act cool while I took the other corner of the lift as that was the only place that placed the most space between us. But to be honest, his height and build were making even this hospital lift feel tiny.

He was leaning against the furthest wall of it with his friend standing at his adjacent side near the button panel. He was wearing a dull color suit with a white shirt, a few buttons open. It seemed like he had just got back from an excruciatingly long meeting. His disheveled hair corroborated my point further.

His expression was of shock as he noticed me but soon changed to an impassive one and he looked away!

Two can play this game!

"Which floor?" Vedika Singhania asked politely as the doors closed on us. I had never met her in person before but I didn't live under a rock, I knew of her.

"Fifth...thank you!" I said as I leaned back in my corner. I saw her smile and nod while she pushed the desired button.

I felt like the lift was working slower than usual or maybe it is just because of the people around me. The lift stopped on the second floor and four people entered the lift forcing us two to move back. Moving back meant standing near him but I guess there wasn't much of a choice!

I walked back and stood next to him, my shoulder brushed with his upper arm once before I distanced myself from him. I saw him stand back to his full height. What is he trying to intimidate me with his height...

"We should have taken the private elevator, Vedika!" I heard him whisper to his friend who was standing on his other side. And I saw her nod in agreement.

I sighed and looked at the panel that read the position of lift car. It was working slower just to torment me!

Three people got down on the fourth floor and then finally the lift reached the fifth floor. I dashed out of the lift without looking back.

Uday's POV

I watched her stride away from the lift and I was about to follow her when I heard Vedika's voice.

"We have to get down on the seventh floor, Uday!"

I halted my steps as anger rose in me thinking that I missed the opportunity of talking to her again. These past few days have been hectic. First the strike in one of the factories and then receiving an anonymous tip that someone was plotting against Baba Sa, I just couldn't call her back.

"You have handled the media, right?" She asked as I backed away to stand next to her.

"Hmm...they wouldn't know that Vanraj Singhania had a heart attack last night!"

The lift opened to the Presidental floor of the hospital and we both got out.

"Because they still think that your father and my Baba Sa are having a confidential meeting in our house."

I said as I saw my father's guards and Vanraj Uncle's guards patroling the floor that was booked entirely by us. Hospitals have always been a peril of my life. I felt suffocated just by the mention of its name. But my mom had taught me to keep fighting my fears!

Baba Sa had informed me that he and Vanraj were coming to Delhi for a meeting and I tagged along with them for security reasons. But then Vanraj Uncle suffered from a mild heart attack so we had to rush him to the hospital.

Vedika flew in last night from Mumbai and was devastated to see her father in that condition. But she knew that she had to keep herself together. We couldn't let the public notice that something was amiss so we had to keep up the act. That is what you get from being a politician's child, always keeping up the act. We have to always remember that we have people watching us and judging us.

We both walked to the further end of the hall and entered his room. We were greeted by the sight of Vanraj Uncle lying with the head side of the bed slightly elevated with wires monitoring his vitals. He looked better than when he was admitted to the hospital last night.

I saw Baba Sa sitting on a chair in front of Vanraj Uncle and they were busy in conversation. So, I stood by the door while Vedika went and stood near her father.

"I didn't take you to be this coward, Vanraj. Were you that stressed out that I would take your CM position from you in the next elections!" I heard Baba Sa say. We all heard a humorless laugh from Vanraj Uncle.

"Can you blame me...? You were... behind me from just ten thousand votes!"

"Every vote matters, CM Sir!" My father said as he looked back at me. The votes that he lost because of me. Because I prioritise someone else than his followers and party members.

"Do... the other party members know about this?"

"No, Uncle! I have taken care of that." I shot back as I saw him getting tense.

"Papa, Uday has handled it...Don't worry!" Vedika placed her hand on her father's shoulder to calm him.

"It was just a mild heart attack, Beta!" Uncle said as he patted her hand in assurance.

"I wouldn't die before I see you settled down!" His gaze shifted to me and I internally rolled my eyes.

"I'll take my leave now. You try to rest!" Baba Sa said as he looked at Uncle's PA who was standing quietly in a corner. He nodded in understanding that Uncle was to be troubled only if it was a sheer necessity.

Following this, Baba Sa and I walked out.

"Baba Sa, you use the private elevator...I'll use the public one!" I said as I wanted to stop by the...which floor had she gotten down at...Yeah, the fifth floor!

"You look exhausted, Uday! Try not to overwork yourself!" Baba Sa said affectionately as he touched my head.

The doors opened to the fifth floor and I paced across the halls in search of her. I let my gaze travel across the floor but couldn't find her. All I could see were patients and their family members. Where has she disappeared to...

With no luck, I reached the parking lot of the hospital. I was about to open the back door of my car when I noticed Baba Sa talking to her.

I walked up to them and I noticed the smile on her face drop. She gazed down once and then inhaled deeply and then placed a fake smile on her face while looking in my direction.

"It was nice meeting you again, Beta!" I heard Baba Sa comment.

"I'll let you two friends talk!" Saying this he walked past her to his car. He got in and drove away with my newly appointed security guards following him in another car.

Mridula waited till then and after that tried to move away without sparing me a glance.

I blocked her way and her eyes snapped at me with anger. "We have to talk!"

"There is nothing to talk about!" I saw her shift back a little and then continue,

"We...I agreed for one date...Unfortunately, I couldn't show up. I wanted to apologize but you didn't even pick up my call...So, now you go your way and I'll go my way!" She said as she crossed her arms around her chest as if to show that she had made up her mind. But I don't think that I'll let that happen.

"You won't hear what I have to say!" I asked as I tried not to let the red-eyed monster in me awaken. I have been nothing but polite with her and this is how she pays me back!

"No...!" She affirmed that with a glare.

"Then what about our date?" I asked her as I stepped closer to her. Her crossed arms brushed against my chest and I felt her tense. Her sweet scent lingered. She held her chin high and with a strong, determined voice said,

"That wouldn't happen..."

"Why?"

"Because I am dating someone else now, and unlike you, I don't fool around...if I am in a relationship with someone, then I am exclusively his!"

Thoughts on this chapter...

What do you think would be Uday's reaction when he gets to know about Mridula and Vaibhav?

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Kagaz By B.

Romance

324K 20.6K 25
Part 3 in the Rajvanshi Series. A tale of love, of deception. Will politics and inheritance corrupt her life? Or will he protect her from the power...
541K 18.9K 66
it's an imaginary story, telling about the newly marriage life of a prince(CEO) and a CS engineer(secret hacker). Their interactions with elders and...
21.6K 969 19
The Randhawa Empire - An Essence of Love and Family The Randhawa Mansion 3 Brothers, 3 sisters and 3 couples The life between the three couples ...
895K 55K 35
( 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐲𝐚𝐥 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 #𝟏) "Alright this is getting out of my head, just out with it, who is she?" His best friend asked him.. "MERI HONE...