Fractures

Thea_Caylen által

Book 2 -The Bruised Boxer Series With Maddison's scholarship on the line, Ashton takes up a deal, putting him... Több

Playlist
1 || Labels
2 || The Panel
3 || The Deal
4 || Feelings
5 || Expectations
6 || Familiar Face
7 || Deserve The World
8 || Black Spinel Tournament
9 || One
10 || Death Game
11 || Love's Complicated
12 || Single Heartthrob
13 || Move On
14 || Emergency
15 || Family
16 || Fire
17 || Self Doubt
18 || Prove Them Wrong
19 || Promises
20 || Jeans
21 || Not Holding Back
22 || Rage
23 || Silent
24 || Standards
25 || Are You Ready
26 || What The F*ck
27 || Car Troubles
28 || One Long Night
29 || Focus Point
31 || Yours To Give
32 || Inner Child
33 || The Son I Raised
34 || Horizon
35 || Rooting For
36 || Perfect Boyfriend
37 || Right Choice
38 || Us
39 || Part Of My Life
40 || Truth
41 || Daddy Issues
42 || A Horrid Reality
43 || Are You Happy
44 || Going To Make It
45 || Fractures
46 || Delete
47 || Fell First
48 || Voicemail
49 || Escape Plan
50 || Smile
Extra

30 || Every Step Of The Way

1.4K 39 3
Thea_Caylen által

Chapter 30: Every Step Of The Way

I'd hastily managed to push Ashton before Veronica stormed into the room, Kelsie right behind her.

"You did this!" Veronica cried, storming towards me, too distress to even wonder what Ashton was doing here, her eyes running with tears which had smeared her makeup.

Now, there were a lot of things I was responsible for. But this time, I actually had no clue.

"Did what?"

"He's hospitalised because of you." Veronica pointed at me. "Because of you, the doctor says Joey's probably never going to be able to box again," she cried.

I froze.

My eyes fell on Ashton who remained silent, his face vague of expressions.

I didn't know how to feel, Joey wasn't able to box any longer. A part of me thought he deserved it, no one as evil as Joey deserved such talent.

And I felt bad for feeling that way. Ashton had just ruined his career, probably his whole life. And here I was, confronted with that truth.

It was like my whole world was shifting, I could feel my feets shaky but I tried my best to keep a straight face.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I lied.

I wasn't the best liar, my voice got shaky and my throat dry. I couldn't even look them in the eye. I really needed Ashton's help right about now but he remained silent, watching the scene unfold.

"Girl, don't pretend," Kelsie chimed. "Everyone knows Joey's apology's was directed at you, you're the reason he's in this mess."

"I'm the reason?" I stood by was unable to mutter any comeback. My eyes fell on Ashton and for once, I could see how small Ashton felt in the moment.

Kelsie, finally realising Ashton was here, asked, "wasn't it?"

I was the reason, this all happened because of me. In a way, I'd robbed Joey of his career, I'd taken everything from him.

"So who is it?" Veronica asked like a crazed girlfriend, holding me by the collar, mascara running down her face. "If it wasn't you, who was is?"

I couldn't reply, I just stared numbly as the guilt are be, my lips pursed.

"Let her go, Veronica," Ashton said.

"Or what? You're going to hit me too?" She shot back still sniffling. Ashton was silent, his expression tense.

"ANSWER ME GODDAMNIT!" Veronica cried.

"The apology was to me."

...

I stared for a second, confused.

"You?" I mumbled while Jessica casually sashayed into the room.

"Yes," she mumbled. "It wasn't directed at Maddie but me..." she turned to Ashton. "Right?"

There was a deafening silence as Kelsie stared at Veronica, Veronica at me, I at Jess and Jess at Ashton.

Ashton walked up to Jessica without saying a word and pulled her into a hug. Then muttered, "I'm sorry."

Veronica and Kelsie stared, a mixture of surprise and confusion labelled on their faces but I knew what he meant, Ashton really was sorry.

"Now, if you two have any bone to pick, that'd be with me," Jessica said, placing a hand ok her waist.

Kelsie and Veronica slowly paced away, till they made it to the door, their eyes still on us. "I hate you, I hate you so much," Veronica yelled, turning to leave.

"Veronica!" I called. She turned to me, her eyes reddish and makeup cleaned, her years running down her face.

"I'm sorry... that I don't feel sorry." She watched me in shock, but speechless, her lips trembling. "He got what was coming for him... leave!"

She hurried out, Kelsie running after her but I stood still, I wasn't going to let my emotions get the best of me.

I turned to Jessica, pulling her into a hug. "Thank you," I mumbled.

It was almost hard to imagine Jessica and I had been total nemesis last semester, we were like starters now. She'd saved my ass way too many times, she'd helped me find strength and courage in myself.

I pulled away to look at her, she smiled. "Be glad I came back, I almost forgot my favourite Chapstick."

She made her way to get desk but Ashton stood before her, and as much as she tried to avoid him, she couldn't.

"Thank you," he said and she casually nodded, grabbed her chapstick and headed for the exit.

"Jessica!" Ashton called and she froze, abiding to turn to face us.

"I did mean what I said. I'm sorry, about everything," Ashton said. "I know you probably hate me but I just wanted you to know I'm sorry about how things ended last semester."

Ashton gently held my hand, I could feel the tension in his grip, he wasn't used to this but I was here to support him.

In the deafening silence was when I finally heard Jessica's sniffles. Was she... crying?

Jess turned, her eyes watery as she made her way to us, hugging Ashton and I for a solid minute.

...

We both held her, letting her let go of all her frustrations, all her feelings in our arms.

"Thank you," she mumbled when she let go. "Now let's just pretend that never happened."

We all laughed.

"So... friends?" Ashton raised a hand.

Jessica smiled, pouting. "I'll think about it."

She slipped out the exit.

•••

It had been over thirty minutes, Ashton and I were still at the gym.

I watched him as he practiced his punches, releasing steady breaths as his fists connected with the punching bags with dull thuds.

"You know, students aren't allowed in the gym by this time," I said casually.

He smiled. "I guess it's a good thing my girlfriend works in the gym."

I smiled, just starting at him in silence for a solid second, before finally speaking.

"Thank you."

He raised a brow, a small smile on his lips as he removed his gloves, wing away a line of sweat. "For what?"

"Apologizing... I know how hard that must have been for you, especially when you felt you were in the right. I'm proud of you Ashton."

He rolled his eyes, wrapping strong arms around me. "I mean, I did get us into the new, it was only fair I resolved things with her, she's your friend which makes her mine."

"Are you always this sweet?" I laughed, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Around you? Yes... But since I did you a favour, I was hoping you could do one for me?"

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Is the Ashton Malik asking me for help?" I laughed.

"Actually, my mom is... my final match in the tournament is next week, I have an interview on television this weekend, my mom begged you come with me to the beach house."

I didn't know what to say. Scratch that, I wanted to say yes, but I didn't know if I could.

"Ashton, your dad-"

"Let me worry about that," he cut. "I need you there Maddie, I don't think I can do this without you."

The reality was finally hitting me, Ashton was becoming a global sensation, he was going to be featured on his very first online broadcast viewed my many. It made me wonder what happens after the tournament, what if he leaves to become a pro?

I brushed that thought aside and asked the next thing on my mind. "You need me? I thought your mom did."

He chuckled, drawing me closer. "I need you more."

He could see my cheeks red from blushing Andi didn't try to hide it. Ashton smiled, "is that a yes?"

I nodded.

I didn't know how our future together was going to look but I was going to be there. Every step of the way.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

26.1K 1.5K 59
7 months after the tragic death of her father, Hayley Jones finally feels like she can breath again. After giving up drinking and partying, things ac...
27 1 23
When star soccer player Peyton Rios receives an offer from her first choice college, her senior year starts off exactly as planned... until she uncov...
1.4M 74K 82
When rich girl Alyssa grows tired of the high-life, she joins a boxing gym for delinquents, where she must fight her feelings for one of the members...
34.7M 1.4M 58
One thing, just one little thing Julie had to do to have a... Let's say decent... First day at her new school... Don't. Draw. Attention. First impres...