Dark Protector ✔

By AmandeepKaur654

★BOOK #7 in the DARK SERIES★ River Drakov is a man who protects his pack and will kill anyone that would try... More

Chapter 1: Untamed Blood
Chapter 2: The Outsider
Chapter 3: Candlelight & Champagne
Chapter 4: Centauri Institute
Chapter 5: White Knight
Chapter 6: Wartime
Chapter 7: Armour
Chapter 8: A Date with the Drakov Brothers
Chapter 9: I Love You
Chapter 10: Red Fang Pack
Chapter 11: Broken Heart
Chapter 13: Only You
Chapter 14: Hidden Scars
Chapter 15: Blood Promise
Chapter 16: Dark Night
Chapter 17: Bound To You
Chapter 18: Silk & Fire
Chapter 19: Poisoned Past
Chapter 20: Unbreakable
Chapter 21: Miracles
Chapter 22: Dark Protector
Chapter 23: Christmas Dream
Chapter 24: Epilogue

Chapter 12: Bleeding Heart

3.3K 208 204
By AmandeepKaur654

It was dark when Zoya woke up, which was strange because she usually left a lamp on. However, it was after she tried to move and her body ached that she remembered her mother had locked her up in the basement. She grew alert and opened her eyes, but the only light that helped her was peeking from the crevice of the door above the stairs. She could see sunlight or maybe it was the chandeliers, she didn't know.

Zoya shifted onto her back which didn't help the pain since the floor was concrete and cold as ice. The ache on her ribs throbbed every time she took a breath, she felt some wetness around her dress and it was clear that there was blood. She was frozen to the touch and the skimpy gown she wore didn't protect her either, which was because her mother chose this dress for her.

Zoya remembered the look on her mother's face when she refused to wear such a revealing gown. It was clear from that point that her mother would lock her up after the party. However, that didn't stop Zoya. She may have worn the gown, but the entire time at the party she didn't give anyone the attention they seeked from Ellen Knightley's pristine daughter who was born a beauty and with an honourable pedigree. Everyone admired Zoya Knightley, her mother never let her forget that either. But it was evident that people only admired the name and the legacy stuck to it. No one knew that this admirable legacy was made up of bloodlust and terror. Zoya saw the way her parents looked down on everyone. The Knightley name wasn't to be trusted and Zoya knew that from birth.

Suddenly, the door opened and a figure stood like a dark shadow. "If you learned your lesson, then you can come upstairs and have breakfast," it was her mother who had left right after announcing that.

Zoya struggled to her feet, which were bare. She must have taken off her heels when she fought against her mother before getting locked down here.

Zoya used the ledge to get herself up the steep stairs. She couldn't find the strength in her knees since her entire body was frozen. She needed a hot shower and her bed, she couldn't stomach food right now though. She would eat after her parents left for work, that was the only way.

When Zoya finally reached the top floor, the bright sun stung her eyes. Despite the horrendous basement, the entire Knightley estate was gorgeously designed. Every part of this mansion was as if it was a temple for the gods. Large windows and white drapes showcased the massive property outside and the garden her mother was proud to show off to her friends. The entire interior was designed to scream luxury and money. Zoya always found it hilarious how beautiful this house was yet the basement was a prison that resembled her parents.

Zoya crossed the long hallway and as she did, the servants all ignored her. They kept their eyes averted and their minds on their tasks. No one intervened in madam Knightley's affairs and Zoya was part of that bargain, otherwise their life would become worse than hell itself. That threat alone was enough to shut everyone up and mind their tongue.

Zoya reached her room as fast as she could without being seen by her parents. She closed the door but couldn't lock it because her father got rid of it. All the doors didn't have locks on them except his study, which was the place he kept himself all the time. She rarely saw her father, which was good. Zoya preferred to face her mother over her father.

Zoya limped to the bathroom and saw her reflection. She was thin and pale after spending the night in that basement. In the sheer white gown, that was barely covering her, she could see the black and blue marks festering around her rib cage and torso. All the marks were put in places Zoya could hide, her mother loved to do that. She enjoyed watching Zoya in pain while others smiled at how perfect Zoya looked all the time.

Zoya peeled off the gown when she saw the large streaks of red marring the gown. She turned to see the hideous slashes across her back. They weren't deep enough to leave scars because that wasn't possible for a Knightley child to have. Zoya was afraid to touch it but she needed to disinfect the wounds right away. She stood in the tub and then grabbed the alcohol and poured the clear solution down her entire back. She bit her screams back, not allowing anyone to hear anything. She poured the entire bottle and dropped it. Zoya quickly turned on the water and let the shower carry all the pain away.

She stood in the shower a long time, it was only until she started to doze off that she mustered a bit of strength and dragged herself out of the bath. Zoya grabbed a t-shirt and slipped it on before she opened her balcony doors and closed them behind her.

The warm sun beamed all its light onto the small balcony and she curled up on the chair looking out towards the large fields. She wanted to run away; shift into her wolf and escape forever.

Zoya knew that was the plan. She just needed a little more time and she needed to endure a little longer. Once she graduated university, she would run away with the money she's been laundering from her own parents. It been four years since she started taking a few million with many excuses to go shopping or for trips to host their friends. She did all those things while keeping the cash for herself. Zoya would take the beatings a few more times and then it was her turn.

With that hope burning inside her, she took a rather peaceful nap.

Suddenly, the alarm went off and Zoya woke up with a jolt. It wasn't dark anymore, the light from the morning sun was bright and warm.

After a really long time did she have one of those dreams. That massive house, her parents and the basement where she spent a lot of her time wondering when she'd escape. Now, that she was living in her own house, it horrified her that she was dreaming of those days. This was the last place she ever wanted to bring those memories which she gladly left behind.

A lot of time passed since then and she knew that this wasn't her trauma. She paid a very expensive therapist to get rid of those and a long trip around the world to heal her wounds. She knew she was having these dreams because of last night.

She couldn't admit it, but that angered her more. FINE! Here she goes: River didn't come to their date and her River fell sick. And now, she had to face everyone from the Centauri pack at work.

Zoya groaned loudly as she punched her pillow, when suddenly, her hand froze and she realized that River wasn't next to her in bed. The small pup was usually cozied up with the extra pillow and under her duvet. In such a short time, River had made a place in her heart. He was just like her; abandoned and alone yet fighting to stay another day. She didn't realize that she needed him more than that pup needed her. His presence lingered around her space- the very space she cherished all to herself. Even her wolf was quiet in the loss of him. Both of them were gone and while one wasn't coming back, there was hope for that small pup to return. She'd visit River today at the vet before going to work.

Gaining a bit of momentum, she got out of bed and cleaned herself up. However, when she saw herself in the mirror, her skin was pale and her eyes red and puffy. She looked terrible and it all came crashing down on her.

"It's okay, Zoya," she told herself as she turned the tap on and splashed her face with icy-cold water. "You are fine. All will be fine. You've overcome hardships before, this is nothing-" she splashed more water until her face cooled off- "You don't need anyone. You don't need him."

Zoya took a shower and went to her dresser to put on makeup because she needed it today. Looking at her complexion, she grabbed foundation and concealer and covered all the exhaustion. She put on blush for colour and a brighter lipstick to remove the attention off her blood-shot red eyes.

Walking into her closet, she took out a sunshine-yellow dress and her hot pink heels, this was as bright as she could get.

She arrived downstairs after getting dressed when her phone rang. She pulled out her cellphone from her purse and saw Sabrina's name. Her stomach dropped, she stared down at the caller ID and couldn't muster the courage to talk to her friend. All of it would come pouring out, Zoya just did her makeup too, she couldn't risk balling her eyes out right now.

When the phone rang for a little while longer, Zoya panicked. She had to answer soon, otherwise it would just get harder. Her finger clicked the stupid green button without her permission.

"Good morning, Zoya," Sabrina said oddly cheerfully.

Maybe, she didn't know about what happened between her and River, thought Zoya. "Er- good morning," she replied carefully.

"Are we still on for today?" she asked. "If you're busy, we can always cancel. Don't hesitate to tell me-"

Then it hit Zoya. Sabrina was trying not to be obvious but it was clear that she knew about everything. That was why she wanted to give Zoya space.

Zoya's breath caught in her throat. "Don't act like you don't know," she mumbled.

Sabrina grew quiet... "I'm sorry," her voice saddened and she drew out a deep breath.

"Did River tell you?"

"No, Gabriel told me last night," she said. "I'm sorry, Zoya. If I knew he'd do this I would've stopped him."

"No, it's my fault," said Zoya. It's her fault for thinking that she could have a sweet love-story and a family of her own. It was always her fault for dreaming of things she couldn't have and that always costed her.

Sabrina sighed. "I would understand if you don't want any of us coming today," she said.

Zoya knew that it would be hard, but her friend had nothing to do with her relationship or whatever it was that she had with River.

"Sabrina, you are always welcome," Zoya said assuredly. "Please, I don't want it to be awkward between us. Bring everyone too. I want them to have their dresses and a good time before-"

"Before what?" Sabrina asked.

Before, she went back to Greece. "Nothing," she lied. "Bring the girls and let's have a nice date."

"Okay, but lunch is on me today," said Sabrina.

"Just don't bring River with you," Zoya didn't know why she had to tell her that but she thought it would be better to just lay it out there. She knew she was being pitiful and maybe even shameful but she didn't care now.

"I won't," she said assuredly. "He won't be anywhere near you, I promise."

"I'll see you later then," Zoya said. "I have to go-"

"Yeah, sorry to keep you," Sabrina added hurriedly, "I'll see you later. Bye."

"Bye." Zoya cut the phone first.

Zoya didn't drink coffee nor eat breakfast. Unhooking her long coat off the rack, she grabbed her purse and then left the house. She got into her car on this bitter cold day, there was thin layer of ice on everything, even her car. She waited for a while, letting her car warm up before she left.

Once she hit the road, everyone was driving as slow as possible. It took her longer than usual to arrive at the vet.

She hurried out of the car and opened the door into the vet. There she saw Dr. Boone sitting and drinking his morning coffee with a book in his hand.

He heard her and looked up. "How is he?" she asked.

"River's fever hasn't gone down yet," he told her as he put his book down. "I gave him medication this morning but he refuses to sleep. I don't want to put him to sleep with an injection either, but if he doesn't rest than this recovery will be harder."

Zoya's body grew numb. "Can I see him?" she asked.

"I was thinking of that too," Dr. Boone said. "I think you need to tell him to sleep."

The doctor took her to the back where there was River sitting in a cage with an acrylic window, so she could see him clearly. He was laid down on a white towel, his blue eyes alert and his head resting on his paw.

Dr. Boone left her alone in the room. Zoya went up to the cage and locked eyes with this stubborn little pup.

"Hi, baby," she smiled, but he didn't grow excited because he saw that her smile wasn't a happy one. He lifted his head and gave her a small cry. "What is this I'm hearing? The doctor tells me that you didn't sleep. You need to sleep, River," she said as she put her hand on the glass. "You need to get better so you can come home with me. Don't you want to come home?"

River put his head back down and hid his eyes from her.

"Don't give me that sass," she rebuked. "I'm a Knightley and so are you. That sass won't work on us-" River made a gruff sound and wiggled his tail a little- "I'll come back after work and you better have gotten some sleep... Hurry up and get better... We still have so much to do together."

Zoya moved back a little and River grew alert again. His bright blue eyes watched as she left without him.

Dr. Boone came out of a different room and joined her at the front desk. "If you don't mind me asking, are you okay?" he asked.

Zoya stiffened. "Wh-what?"

"Well, it's not unusual for animals to mirror their owners. If you're not well than it is likely that it's affecting him," Dr. Boone explained.

Zoya's heart ached. "Oh god," she lost the strength in her legs, "oh no, no, no-" suddenly, a pair of arms supported her to the closest chair.

"I didn't mean it like that," Dr. Boone said regretfully.

"No, I'm glad you told me that," said Zoya.

"I'll take care of River, so you don't need to worry," said Dr. Boone.

"Thank you," said Zoya.

She got up from the chair and headed out to work now. A lot needed to be done still and she didn't have time to regret every moment of her life.

Zoya arrived at work a couple of minutes past nine o'clock. She parked her car and went straight through the doors, when she noticed the double security team guarding the entrance.

"Good morning, boss," said Jonas.

"Good morning," she greeted all of them. "What's going on here?"

"Abby assigned us to double the security," he told her. "I had a few extra guys called in."

Zoya peeked a smile. That was thoughtful of Abigail, which wasn't a surprise now that Ellen Knightley showed up twice already. Abigail was being cautious and Zoya always appreciated that about her secretary.

"Thank you, Jonas," she said. "Have a great day."

"You too, boss," he said and then he left to cover his post.

Zoya took the elevator to the top floor to her office when she saw Abigail standing over her table. It was going to hard hiding what happened from her, but Zoya really didn't have the strength to face it yet.

Abigail spotted Zoya. "You're here," she hurried over. "I've got you a triple soy milk latte waiting and a bunch of files to read over."

"I only get here two minutes and I'm already busy," she jested.

"There is no rest for the living," Abigail retorted. "You take this-" she handed the cup over- "I'll take that-" she grabbed Zoya's purse and then both of them went into the office together.

As Zoya reviewed the spreadsheets for their Winter collection, Abigail stood in front of her organizing the next batch of files or contracts. Except, Zoya couldn't concentrate. She usually was the busy bee around her company making sure everything was perfect. But today, she could barely ready past the second sentence.

"Where's River?" Abigail suddenly asked. "The pup is always with you."

Zoya's stomach dropped. "He's at the vet," she told her.

Abigail frowned. "Is everything okay?" she asked. "He's not hurt, is he?"

Zoya didn't find any point in lying about this, since Abigail adored that pup too. "He's got a fever-"

Abigail dropped her book by accident. "Fever!" she astounded. "How? What? When? Wait, back up!"

"He caught a fever last night," Zoya told her.

"I was with him all evening and he was fine," said Abigail. "I'm sorry, Zoya. I should have taken better care-"

"It's not your fault," Zoya interrupted sternly. "It's mine."

Abigail grew quiet. "Are you okay?" she asked.

"Don't ask me that," Zoya sighed as she got to her feet. "Let's go meet the team in the gallery. I need to see the winter collection."

They both set off to the ground level showroom where the collection had been arranged. This was the demo arrangement for the show before Christmas and then the one before the new year began. Zoya walked into the large room that had glittery snowflakes hanging from the ceiling and the floor glittered like diamonds, it was a soft silver dancing under the spotlights. The gowns were arranged around the gallery, so guests could walk through and view each piece. Some were wedding dresses; some gowns for bridesmaids and the rest were gowns and suits for women. The next section were men's suits and their accessories.

Zoya ignored the sick feeling in her gut when she saw that the time was almost hitting noon. She stayed busy with her employees as she told them how the arrangement should be fixed. As everyone took notes of her words, her phone rang; it was Dr. Boone.

Zoya stepped aside and answered. "Hello, Dr. Boone. Is everything alright?" she asked unable to hide the panic. "Is River okay?"

"He's good," he told her. "I thought I should let you know that he went to sleep after you left. I think meeting you put him to ease and he's sound asleep now."

Zoya let out a shaky breath of relief. "That's good," she muttered softly. "Thank you for telling me."

"No problem," said Dr. Boone. "Have a good day, Ms. Knightley."

"You too, Dr. Boone," she said with tremendous ease in her heart and they cut the phone.

Zoya dismissed all the employees after they were done everything for the gallery. She had just left showroom when she heard familiar voices approaching. She didn't need to look to see who it was. Sabrina, her pack and the rest of the ladies had arrived. Rosalie, Ashley, Evangeline, Viola, Azura, Hailey were all here now. It was obvious from Sabrina's face alone that she was concerned about today. The rest of the group had no clue about what happened last night or maybe they were just good at hiding it.

"Zoya!" Ashley came running over and threw herself on Zoya. "We missed you!"

Zoya hugged her back with a tender smile. Ashley was as bright as ever. "I missed you all too," she said. "I hope you've been well?"

"We've been doing great," said Ashley as she pulled back.

"Hey, where's River? I wanted to play with the little guy," Viola asked suddenly.

"He's resting at home," Zoya lied.

Azura and Viola were disappointed. She didn't find it necessary to ruin everyone's mood and it didn't matter since after this none of them would meet up with her. However, Abigail caught that lie. She didn't say anything but her eyes were full with concern.

"Your gowns are all upstairs," Zoya told them quickly changing the topic.

"Mom!" A child's voice ringed through the foyer.

Zoya saw a small girl running across the hall. The child was in a black and red frock with matching shoes and with large bows in her heavy black hair. She was brimming with excitement as she ran full speed ahead.

"Be careful, Evelyn," Ashley warned as she bolted after the kid.

Zoya remembered that Ashley told her she had a daughter. However, apart from the bright smile and energetic attitude, this girl didn't resemble her mother. She had sharp greyish-blue eyes and dark hair, rosy cheeks like Ashley but a rigid, strong jaw. She was adorable yet fierce for her age.

Following behind that girl were two other kids. Another young girl in a white dress and sandals trudged along. She had blonde hair braided with flowers weaved into it. Yet, her eyes were a bright hazel but they had a solemn air to them, like she couldn't express her emotions to others. She was delicate and had a poise to her posture. While Ashley told her child to be careful, another kid was behind them; this time a boy. He looked as if he was forced to be here. Taller than the girls, he had dark black hair that was tousled and fell into those roguish blue eyes. He was dressed in black and held a stern expression like everything around him was below him.

However, just as Zoya wondered what these kids were doing alone, she saw the one that was probably meant to guard them. A severely tall man walked in confidently and stood behind the young boy. He had a strict demeanour and there was something dangerous inside his carnal blue eyes, that studied the space around them. Dressed in a leather jacket and jeans; all the black contrasted against the silver-white hair he had, which matched the tousled style of the young boy. The two resembled one another a lot.

"Say hi to auntie Zoya here, kids," Evangeline said ushering them forward.

Zoya crouched down to meet their level and she couldn't control her smile. These kids looked youthful, sweet and carefree, just like how children should be. Nothing to worry about nor any danger lurking around them.

"Hi!" The one in the black frock held her hand out to Zoya. "I'm Evelyn Hartling-Iron. I'm her child and my dad's who's not here right now." She pointed up at Ashley who was in disbelief of her child's bold statement.

Zoya shook her small hand. "Hi, Evelyn, I love your dress," she said.

Evelyn's blueish-grey eyes beamed as her smile lifted. "Uncle Zar got it for me!" she announced.

Zoya guessed that Evelyn was talking about family, but she looked up to Ashley to confirm. "Lazarus, he's my brother-in-law," Ashley told her.

"Well, your uncle has remarkable taste," she said.

"Thank you, I'll tell him that," said Evelyn. "He bought Vivian her dress too." Evelyn laced her hand with the girl next to her to bring her forward who looked very shy and alert now.

"You look beautiful, Vivian," Zoya said.

"Thank you," her timid voice was soft enough for Zoya's ears, but she kept her eyes averted.

"And who's our prince charming over here?" Zoya asked jestingly as she looked at the small boy.

"This is Dimitri," Hailey introduced as she stood with her hands on his shoulders. He seemed very comfortable with her.

"My little devil," Evangeline added.

"I am not!" Dimitri retorted to his mother and crossed his arms. Evangeline giggled at him and so did everyone else.

"This is Victor, Zoya," Evangeline added. "He's my husband's brother." Victor didn't speak, he gave a simple nod as a greeting and stayed with his nephew. He was rather shy for someone of his disposition.

"It's nice to meet you all today," Zoya said to the kids. "How about I take you three to my secret base?" She definitely caught all of their attention now.

Zoya took them down the hallway to the west side of the company. They passed two massive baby-blue doors, which opened up an entire new world. With a five-level soft-structured playground filled with a fully enclosed swirl slide, wave slides, punch-bag forest and more, Knight Paradise is bound to please kids from the ages of one to twelve years old. Other features include an arcade, two toddler sections and a rock-climbing wall. They also have a wristband policy to ensure children leave with the guardian that they came with. This was paradise for kids while their parents had appointments here.

The kids were excited for sure, but Azura, Viola and the women grew excited to explore too. Zoya didn't say it out loud but she played here many times too.

"This is amazing," commended Evangeline.

"It really is," added Rosalie.

"But why do you have playground here?" asked Azura as her eyes scanned every inch.

"Many clients bring kids, so to distract them, I built this playground," Zoya told them.

Azura nodded. "I forgot about the kids," she muttered. "Can I just stay here?" she turned and looked at Sabrina. "Er- what I mean is that someone needs to look after the kids after all-" she looked over to Viola- "right?"

"You're right," Viola said hurriedly. "We should stay here-"

"And dominate the playground-" Hailey added. "You two will just bully all the kids."

"She's right," Sabrina said.

"Besides, that's why Victor's here," Evangeline said. "He volunteered to babysit." Victor stared at all the girls and sighed.

Dejected, Azura and Viola were escorted out by Rosalie and all of them left Victor with the kids.

Zoya escorted the girls to the private ward where they could see their dresses on display. Abigail opened the door and all the girls ran inside overflowing with excitement. The room filled with their commotion and Zoya smiled; there was a warmth all these women carried. They didn't need anyone to live and be free. Zoya admired each and every one of them.

A soft hand brushed Zoya's shoulder, it was Sabrina. Zoya looked into her friend's aqua-green eyes, which weren't shining with happiness but dull with apprehension. Zoya's smile fell then too and the shattered state of her heart poured out. Sabrina could see her vulnerability and her eyes filled with a line of tears. Zoya quickly took both of them out of room, so no one got suspicious.

"Don't cry," Zoya told her.

Sabrina sniffled her nose. "I'm sorry, I usually don't cry. It's these stupid pregnancy hormones," she said.

Zoya's heart filled with guilt that she was causing her friend to worry. Sabrina was pregnant and she shouldn't be stressed in this condition. "I'm perfectly fine, Sabrina," she lied to her. "You don't need to worry about me."

"How can I not worry-" Sabrina wiped her tears- "I feel like I caused this-"

Zoya shook her head. "You didn't-"

"I told River to be with you-" Sabrina interrupted and her crying got worse. "I knew what River was like and I should've warned you."

"You did," Zoya hugged her friend. "Please, stop crying. I don't want you getting sick too-"

Sabrina stiffened. "Who else got sick?" she asked as she pulled back and looked at Zoya. "Zoya, who else is sick?"

"River, my dog is sick," she confessed. "He has a fever."

Sabrina's eyes teared up again. "Oh no, is he going to be okay?"

"He's resting at the vet right now," Zoya told her. "I saw him today and he seemed to be doing better."

Sabrina hugged her again. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..." she kept mumbling.

After a while, Sabrina finally calmed down and went to the washroom to freshen up her teary eyes.

When they returned to the rest of the girls, Zoya had all the dresses packaged in the custom White Knight boxes with the large bows and put in bags to take home. Zoya had Abigail fetch the kids and Victor too, so they could all go eat lunch.

Everyone gathered in front of Zoya's office when the kids arrived and Zoya brought out their gifts. She picked two matching blue frocks for the girls and a tailored suit for Dimitri. Each of them gave Zoya a hug and Evelyn was powerful enough to almost knock Zoya over, it was hilarious and she burst out laughing- so did everyone else; even the stoic Victor smiled.

"Where should we have lunch?" asked Viola.

"I am craving Bobby's food," Azura commented.

"Oh, I could eat his pizza right now," Hailey told them.

Zoya was confused. "Who is Bobby?" she asked and it looked like that was a bad thing to say out loud. Everyone gaped at her.

"The pretty woman hasn't eaten at Bobby's," astounded Evelyn who gaped at her.

"Oh my god-" Viola shook her head- "this has to be fixed immediately."

All of them took Zoya and made this a mission of top priority.

They got in their cars and drove down to Queen street where there was a busy restaurant. Many people walking in and out of that door. It was a simple establishment yet Zoya could feel that this area was a community and this restaurant the heart of it. As soon as they got out of the car, all of them rushed across the road and went into the building where there were many people eating at the tables.

But just as they entered, a pair of doors from the back swung open and a lofty, robust man with thick white hair appeared. He strode out with a smile from under his snow-white beard that warmed his stern blue eyes. That must be Bobby, Zoya guessed.

"Look what the cat dragged in!" he exclaimed with open arms. "I was looking to cook for you kids today."

"We read your mind, Bobby," said Hailey.

"And we're starving," added Sabrina.

Bobby's smile beamed from under his beard. "Let's get you all a table and I'll bring out food for all of you," he ushered them to the large booth on the side to fit all of them. They gathered a few extra chairs to sit together. Zoya sat smack in the middle of Sabrina and Hailey.

Just as soon as they sat down, drinks arrived and three extra-large pizzas came rushing out too. They were cheesy and steaming hot with different toppings on each. Everyone grabbed their slices and as Evangeline urged to use plates, the group just used their hands and dug right in, even Zoya.

Time passed and more food kept coming. Pasta, salad, mashed potatoes and crispy fries with lots of gravy and cheese poured on top. Zoya was a bit overwhelmed but it seemed the group found this normal. Viola even got a double cheese burger to go with her fries, which looked deadly and delicious.

Zoya finished off her pizza and fries, when a chill crawled down her back and she froze in her seat. The door behind them had opened and she didn't dare turn around to see who walked in. But she knew in her heart that River arrived. Gabriel was standing with his brother Hunter and Vincent, following them was Ryder and River who entered last.

Zoya needed to leave. She needed to leave right now.

"Oh, everyone's here," Ashley pointed out first.

Sabrina turned and her eyes widened when she realized too. She put her hand on Zoya's.

"I need to leave," Zoya barely used her voice because she was afraid that he'd hear her.

"Okay, okay, just give me a second," Sabrina got to her feet and rushed to Gabriel who was surprised to see her here. They must have stopped by to eat lunch too.

Zoya bit back every urge to turn around and look at River. She craved to see those blue eyes one more time, but as her heart ached, she kept her eyes averted.

"Hey, are you okay?" Hailey asked softly when she noticed Zoya.

Zoya flinched when the hand touched her. "I just need some fresh air," she lied.

The door behind them suddenly opened.

"Why is Sabrina taking Gabriel and the others outside?" Azura asked, as she quickly got to her feet with a pizza slice in her hand. She left outside to see what was wrong.

"Er- I need to use the restroom," Zoya said with a faint smile. She slid off the seat and went to the restroom in the back of the building.

Zoya stood in the washroom, which was empty. She stood waiting in front of the mirror when she caught sight of her face. Her complexion had paled and her hands started to tremble. This wasn't because she was afraid, but this was what happened to a wolf who couldn't go to the one they bonded with. She bonded with River and his wolf but she couldn't have him. She didn't realize this before, but this bond could hurt her and even scar her wolf. How could this happen? She was in trouble.

Suddenly, the door opened and startled her.

"It's just me-" Sabrina rushed in- "We can leave through the back door. Bobby opened it for us."

"Wh- what about-" she was losing her words and for some reason her throat was parched.

"The back door isn't in their view. We can leave without being seen," she told Zoya.

Zoya slumped against the counter. "I'm sorry to do this to you," she said.

"No, don't be," Sabrina said as she put her hand in hers. "Come on, let's go."

Both of them left the restroom and it was true when Sabrina said that no one could see through this dark hallway. The restaurant was completely cut off from here. Right when they arrived at the door, Azura stood guard there. She was severely stern in her tall posture and her scowl was prominent.

She knew, thought Zoya. Azura found out about River and her.

Azura opened the door and all of them went outside. Zoya took deep breaths of the cold air. She felt as if it wasn't enough, like her lungs wouldn't take oxygen and were suffocating her.

"I can drop you off," Azura offered.

"No, I don't want disturb your lunch more than I already have," she said to Azura. "I'll call Abigail." She quickly pulled out her cellphone and texted her secretary to pick her up.

Azura was talking to Sabrina, when Zoya gathered a bit of courage to speak her heart.

"This is the last time," she blurted out. Sabrina and Azura exchanged a worried look. "I don't think we should meet up anymore if this is going to continue."

Sabrina grasped both of Zoya's hands. "But we just got back together," she said. "I have so much to do with you and my baby shower, you need to come-"

"I can't," Zoya said. It hurts too much to know that she couldn't be part of this pack. She couldn't be with the one she bonded with. "This is your pack and I don't want to put you in the middle." Zoya kissed Sabrina's cheek. "You take care and stay healthy."

"What will you do now?" Azura asked sternly. "Have you thought of killing River? I can do it for you."

Zoya would've laughed but she didn't have the energy. "I'm thinking of leaving for Greece again," she told them. "I just don't fit here."

Both of the girls gaped. "Wait, Zoya-" Sabrina panicked- "You can't just leave." Zoya saw Ryder rushing from around the restaurant towards them.

"Why are you leaving?" He asked her breathlessly. His fuming blue eyes pierced her heart and she saw River, which hurt more.

She smiled a little for him. "I'll have your suit sent over soon, consider it another gift before I leave," she said.

"What are you talking about?" Ryder grabbed her hand. "You can't leave. You're supposed to knock sense into my stupid brother and be with all of us."

Zoya thought that too, but her confidence left when River didn't show up. She had chased him when he didn't want her, that was her mistake. This heart ache was her fault, she didn't blame River because he was clear of what he wanted.

"You've all been very sweet to me," Zoya said before she pulled her hand away. "But I can't stay."

"You three," River's stern voice froze all of them. "Go inside."

"River-"

"Go inside, Sabrina," he interrupted her.

They were reluctant, but they left.

Zoya stood alone on the street with him. All the emotions from last night came rushing back, but she couldn't cry here not in front of River.

He stood tall and dignified in front of her and everything around him vanished. She fell into the hypnotic trap of those icy-blue gaze and that striking face. However, now that she realized, River rarely smiled when he was with her. She couldn't do anything for him. She felt a punch in her gut and chains locking around her heart. She warned herself from falling for that scent of his and those eyes. She ignored that he stood powerfully in a suit, a dark blue wool jacket that dropped below his knees. She didn't admit that she noticed his tie was off and the few buttons of his shirt's collar were open. She wondered if he got cold like that, but she ignored that feeling to ask him that too.

"Are you cold?" he suddenly asked.

She was a surprised that he asked her first. "No," she lied, she was really cold. Her legs were freezing off and her hands were practically ice by now.

"Where's your car?" he asked then.

"It's coming," she answered. She didn't know why she was telling him this, she should just ignore him but she couldn't. Damn it, why did every moment with this man feel like an eternity? All she wanted was to stand here with him alone.

Suddenly, River neared and she moved back. She was sure that he heard her small gasp of surprise too, but that didn't stop him. He reached over and put his jacket over her shoulders.

"Just until your ride comes," his voice was soft to her ears.

Zoya was warmed instantly. She drowned in the large wool coat, but instead of being grateful that she was warm, she was angry that he cared. As the coat hung on her shoulders longer, she couldn't take it anymore. She took it off and pushed it back into his hands.

"Thanks, but I'm fine," she said and started to walk off.

"Where do you think you're going?" he said from behind her. "You're car's not even here yet."

Zoya didn't care. "I'll walk," she bit back and she quickened her pace.

"It's too far," from his voice, she could tell that he was following her.

Zoya crossed the sidewalk and she ignored River who was behind her. "Go away," she told him.

"You'll fall in those shoes again," he said. 

That did it! She turned around fuming with anger. "Why do you care?" she snapped, when suddenly, her foot caught on the ledge. Zoya closed her eyes and her first thought was that this world loved proving her wrong, then her second thought was that she was going to die.

River grumbled a curse. "You're driving me crazy," he said.

Zoya opened her eyes and she found herself in his arms. River was holding her close to him. "That goes both ways," she remarked. "Let go."

"No," he asserted. "Not until your car comes."

Zoya wriggled in his arms and he still didn't let go, he was quite complacent about it too. "I don't understand you," she said. "When I stayed close to you, then you didn't want me, but now that I want to leave, you're not letting me. I just don't get it."

"I'm just worried-"

"Why?" she snapped harshly. "You don't get to do that." River's arms dropped then and he stepped back. She noticed the way he clenched his jaw like he bit back what he wanted to say. "No, you don't get to walk away. Not this time. Why is it bothering you what I do, River?" There was no answer from him. "If I get cold or not. If I get in my car or not. None of this concerns you after you didn't show last night."

"You're right," he said sternly. "But Zoya, you know why I couldn't come. I've been clear about this from the start. It's not safe with the life I lead-"

"Yet, here I am still standing here wanting to be with you-" she said.

"It's not enough," said River.

Zoya faced him, her eyes locked to his so he knew that she was serious when she said this; "No one is guaranteed a long life, River. But I swallowed my fears and chose to follow my heart and be with you. Yet you thought we weren't enough to handle what comes our way, and that, hurt a lot more than your rejection."

"I-" his voice fell.

A car honked behind them and it was Abigail who had arrived. The car parked in front of her and Zoya quickly got in her car leaving River behind this time. Through the rear-view mirror, she saw him standing in the same spot until it was her car that turned off to the next street.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?" Abigail said grimly.

"My wolf bonded with River but he rejected us," she told her because she was tired of lying.

"But the date-"

"He didn't come," she interrupted. "He chose different."

"What an idiot," Abigail said.

"No, I was the idiot," Zoya corrected. "I fell in love with the one who's not in my reach." Ice filled her body and she shut it all down. "Arrange a flight to Greece."

Abigail went quiet and the rest of the drive was in a dreadful silence.      

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 5.6K 16
★BOOK #2 in the DARK SERIES★ (In the process of being edited) ★Featured in Official Newly Written Books profile; Werewolves of London | Werewolf★ "Fl...
542K 24.5K 34
★BOOK #1 in the DARK SERIES★ ★Featured in Official Paranormal and Supernatural | Ambassadors profile; Blood-Thirsty Beasts★ ★Featured in Official Wa...
25K 666 64
Isabella Harper, a nineteen-year-old, lost her color vision after her sister's suicide. She shut down herself from everyone and remained in her world...
29.6M 875K 71
He tips my head toward his with his index finger, keeping my eyes trained on him and driving me crazy with the primal look on his face. His grey eyes...