VILE

By Uche_Valery

Tomike is a young Nigerian programmer living in Boston, trying to pave a way for herself far away from her ho... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Present
Chapter 2: The Past
Chapter 3: The Present
Chapter 4: The Past
Chapter 5: The Past
Chapter 6: The Present
Chapter 7: The Present
Chapter 8: The Past
Chapter 9: The Past
Chapter 10: The Past
Chapter 11: The Past
Chapter 12: The Present
Chapter 13: The Past
Chapter 14: The Past
Chapter 15: The Past
Chapter 16: The Past
Chapter 17: The Present
Chapter 18: The Past
Chapter 19: The Past
Chapter 20: The Present
Chapter 21: The Present
Chapter 22: The Present
Chapter 23: The Present
Chapter 24: The Past
Chapter 25: The Past
Chapter 26: The Present
Chapter 27: The Present
Chapter 28: The Present
Chapter 29: The Present
Chapter 30: The Present
Chapter 31: The Present
Chapter 32: The Present
Chapter 33: The Present
Chapter 34: The Present
Chapter 35: The Present
Chapter 36: The Present
Chapter 37: The Present
Chapter 38: The Present
Chapter 39: The Present
Chapter 40: The Past
Chapter 41: The Past
Chapter 42: The Present
Chapter 43: The Present
Chapter 44: The Past
Chapter 45: The Present
Chapter 46: The Present
Chapter 47: The Present
Chapter 48: The Present
Chapter 49: The Present
Chapter 50: The Present
Chapter 51: The Present
Chapter 53: The Present
Chapter 54: The Present
Epilogue

Chapter 52: The Present

245 74 2
By Uche_Valery

"Which one do you think we should get, the red or the blue?"

Tomike and Dayo were at an IKEA store shopping for their new apartment. She had saved up enough money for a nice condo in Brighton and she was excited that she'd finally be moving from her cubicle apartment downtown. Up next, she'd change her car.

She held up two throw pillows so Dayo could compare.

"I'll go for the blue, it has a sophisticated look to it. Plus the red is a bit too much"

"Hmm, and for that very reason I'll go for the red. The couch is grey and the red pillow would give it a much needed pop of colour. Let's go with it"

Dayo rolled his eyes "Then why did you ask my opinion if you had decided which of them you wanted?"

"So you won't say I left you out of the house decor. Besides I thought you'd say red"

They both chuckled as Dayo shook his head.

They walked side by side, Dayo gripping tightly his walking stick, his limping figure towering over his mother's. They inspected each item they came by and whatever they were interested in Tomike would note down on a small jotter she held in her hand.

"How's Todd?" Dayo quickly blurted out. He'd been wanting to ask for a while but wasn't sure it was the right time, but he did so anyways.

Tomike stood up from the squat position she took to inspect a vase that was on a side stool.

"He's doing alright. He sends his regards"

"Can I go see him anytime soon?"

"Unfortunately, you can't, at least not until he's out. Only a few people can visit at this time, I'm sorry" Tomike patted her son's back as a way of consoling him.

"Well if you say he's alright, that's all that's important right? Hope he's no longer looking so thin? Are they treating him well?"

"Well rehab isn't prison, of course they are treating him well. Especially since it's one of those boujee ones. And he's putting on some good weight"

Dayo nodded.

"I still can't believe that someone I called my best friend was doing drugs and I didn't know. It's just crazy"

"I don't think you should blame yourself much mom, you two had been quite distant for a while. I noticed something was up that's why I was a bit worried, that his girlfriend really messed him up. But at least now he's getting help"

"Yeah"

After a long while of walking around the showroom, they headed over to the warehouse to pick up what they had chosen.

"Mom, I think I need to sit. My leg..." Dayo looked like he was in pain and Tomike knew right then she had stressed him too much, she felt guilty.

"Oh dear. This is my fault, I'm so sorry" she helped him settle down on an iron stool an attendant was sitting on. "Sit here"

"Mom it's not your fault, I'm the one who insisted on going shopping with you" he handed her his walking stick as he sat.

"Still, I should have said no. Anyways, thankfully we've got everything we want, I'll just take it over to them so they can package it and have it sent home for us. I'll be back for you so we can grab some lunch before heading home" Tomike immediately dashed to the counter.

***************

"So what do you want to study in college?"
Tomike asked her soon after taking a sip of her chai tea. He looked up at her from his burger surprised.

"What? Did I say something wrong?"

"No, but your question.... Mom I'm still in tenth grade. I don't graduate from highschool until another two years"

"True, true, but it's good to plan ahead so you don't take too much time deciding when the time comes"

Tomike took a bite of her sandwich and then continued. "As soon as I got back into school after I had taken such a long break, I started planning. I was probably the oldest in my classes for a long time, but I decided I would cut that time short by gaining admission early because you know how hard that can be in Nigeria. The constant academic strikes almost spoiled my plans but I was prepared for that too. I knew I wanted to get a scholarship into school so I wouldn't be such a burden to Iya Bose and I did. I also knew I wanted to leave Nigeria for my masters. I remember Uncle Jide suggesting I go to London to stay with him and his family but that wasn't what I wanted. So instead I worked really hard to get a master's degree scholarship here in America" Tomike took another bite of her sandwich and then gulped down some more of her tea.

"I'm not trying to boast or anything, but what I'm trying to say is that you've got to have an idea, or at least a glimpse of what you want to do with your life. You don't have to have it all figured out, truth is nobody does, but at least have an idea. I can't say all I planned for my life followed through, if that was the case I'll still be back in Florida and not freezing to death here in Boston" she chuckled. "But here I am, and I love it here. I honestly couldn't have had it any other way"

"Hmmm" Dayo was taking it all in. After about a minute of silence, he spoke up.

"Actually mom, what if I say I don't want to go to college?"

"What? Why? Dayo you have an opportunity many are praying for. You'll be a permanent resident soon and that gives you access to a lot of things. Why would you..."

"Mom calm down okay? Can I explain?" Tomike gave him a stern look, she didn't like that he cut her off like that, Dayo seemed to have noticed. She gestured for him to continue and he did.

"Sorry for cutting you short like that, but the field I'm looking to go into doesn't need college"

"And what field might that be?"

"I want to be a mechanic"

Tomike couldn't hide her amazement.

Shay this boy is fine in the head like this? Hope it's not this accident still affecting his brain. Omo mi? Mechanic?

"Remember Leah? Her dad has this really nice mechanic shop downtown. He works on all kinds of cars; Ferraris, Jaguars, Rolls Roce, you name it. I'm really obsessed with that place mom. And I think that's what I want to do"

Tomike sighed.

"You're sure you're not just fascinated by the cars Dayo?"

"I mean I am, but I'm also fascinated by the work they do"

"Okay then, if that's what you want to do. But you do know you'll have to get some form of certification right?"

"Yes mum I do. But the good thing is that, in Massachusetts, it's not necessary to get a certification before you start working on cars. With my highschool diploma I can apply for a job, and learn as I go. I can get the certification later on"

"Hmm. You seem to have done you have to have done your research"

Dayo nodded.

"Well, nevertheless, it's better to start planning now. You'll have to go to that man and tell him you're interested in interning with him, after your leg must have completely healed up of course. The earlier you test that interest (and see it's not for you) the better"

"Are you sure mom? I mean I don't know him that well"

"I thought he's your friend's father?"

"Well yes, but I don't know him personally like that"

"You don't have to know him personally like that. I'll go with you if that'll make you feel more comfortable"

"Sure"

"Besides, I said when you're well healed up, not right now"

After they had finished their lunch they both sat down in silence, Tomike looking out the window soaking in the city streets on a slow Sunday afternoon and Dayo smiling to himself, engrossed on his phone. Summer was giving way to fall. The trees were changing, the winds blew stronger and the weather was chilly. Then out of the blues Dayo asked;

"Mum are we ever going back to Nigeria?"

Tomike was a bit taken aback by the question.

"Well yes and no"

"What do you mean?"

"Yes as in of course, one day we will. And no as in not right now or anytime soon"

"Why?"

"What do you mean why? I'm not just ready to go back. You haven't even spent up to two years here and you already want to run back?"

"No not really, but I'll just like to see everyone again"

"Sure, you'll see them. And that's why you need to hurry up and make your own money so you can go and come as you please without my permission or sponsorship"

Dayo chuckled.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yes please"

********************
Guys! Whew!
It honestly feels like I've been trying to finish this book for a million years and I'm super glad we're finally here! How's it going for you? Are you impressed with the updates? Please don't leave me hanging okay? Drop a comment and let me know what you honestly think, I love feedbacks. Your vote is a boost to my moral, it'll only take two seconds and I'll love you forever. Also share if you think this is a great book that people need to read.
We're at 3k reads guys! *screams*

This book has come a long way since 2020 (the pandemic period) and I'm glad to bring it to an end right before we step into the second half of 2022. See you in the next chapter, will it be the last? 👀

Xoxo
Val❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 541 59
(FINISHED WRITING, BEING REVISED!) An only child, by the name of Nathaniel, has a very unfortunate life. Unpopular, bullied, and outcasted by everyon...
94.5K 4.3K 38
"Where am I?" "That's none of your concern." "If my location isn't my concern, then whose is it?" "Mine, and I know, so you're fine." He finally was...
1.2K 209 27
"My whole life, I've lived with regrets. I've lived with regrets." "don't do something today, you know you will regret tomorrow. think before you act...
79 18 8
𝙱𝚎𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚋𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚒𝚝 𝚒𝚗 𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢 𝚒𝚜 𝚐𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚋𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚎𝚡𝚊𝚌𝚝 �...