But I'll Be Back Again

By EmiliaDeets

1961, A young woman arrives at Liverpool, where she meets a band called the Beatles, before they had a rec... More

Chapter 1: A New Home
Chapter 2: We Should Get Along
Chapter 3: If I Walk By You
Chapter 4: Undoubtedly
Chapter 5: There's Other Fish in the Sea
Chapter 6: Hit the Right Note
Chapter 7: You Can't Unring a Bell
Chapter 8 : You Changed My Tune
Chapter 9: It Takes Two to Tango
Chapter 10: Clear As a Bell
Chapter 11: Dating and All That Jazz
Chapter 12: Silence Between Notes
Chapter 13: Yet Still we Hug the Dear Deceit.
Chapter 14: Like a Broken Record
Chapter 15: Kiss Off, Will You?
Chapter 16: Dance Your Fears Away
Chapter 17: You'll Have to Face the Music
Chapter 18: Fit as a Fiddle
Chapter 19: Don't Forget the Lyric
Chapter 20: We Can Carry a Tune
Chapter 21: Don't Like the Sound of that
Chapter 22: Whistle in the Dark
Chapter 23: Not Exactly Music to My Ears
Chapter 24: A Lovely Tune
Chapter 25: "Where words leave off, music begins."
Chapter 26: Strings of My Heart
Chapter 27 It Never Rain but it Pours
Chapter 29: Pip, pip, my friends.
Chapter 30- It Won't be a Bed of Roses
Chapter 31 : When you wish upon ...
Chapter 32: A penny for a song
Chapter 33: You can Whistle for it
Ch 34 Opportunity is Missed When it looks like Work
Chapter 35: This Sounds like FINE TUNING

Chapter 28: Bolt from the Blue

33 2 2
By EmiliaDeets

Paul arrived early at Brian Epstein's store, but before he'd get in, he practiced in his reflection on a car's window, saying, "Hi Ella, ... Hello!" His pretended excitement made him feel embarrassed. He didn't want her to be angry at him, and he didn't want her to think he was being cold to her.

The real struggle he felt, was because the night before Cleo had asked him to have a real relationship with her, not fooling around, just the two of them as girlfriend and boyfriend. He accepted, in his mind that was the only way to get rid of any feelings he had developed for Ella.

This time he came into the store for real, and said a very awkward Hi to her, but she didn't notice. She had other things to worry about. Ella then heard another hi, and that made her turn to see him, "You're early," she answered dryly.

"What? It's ... oh I see it's not even 1pm." He said, and went to sit on an empty desk.

"They'll be here in 10 minutes I guess." She simply assured him, she went to pick some of the magazines that had arrived, she truly didn't need to see him that day, it was already too many conflicts in her mind, and now she had to spend time alone with him. But as much as she didn't want to see his face that day, it wouldn't work out her way, there in the cover of the magazine, his face, and also the other Beatles, she read quickly and then exclaimed. "Gosh! You won... I mean the band finally won the poll." Her problems stayed in the back of her mind for a moment, and her happiness for them was noticeable, Ella quickly took the magazine to Paul and they read together.

He read, "first place goes for the Beatles ....that's us!" He was ecstatic, he hugged her, and went to see if the other issues had the same results, "This is me... in the cover! Ok Miss, I'm going to buy 5 for my father and other 10 for the neighbour that complained I was playing the piano late at night."

Ella was grinning from ear to ear, "My god look at the others, you look so much better than Elvis,"

The door opened, John and the others arrived, along with Mr. Epstein, they had already seen the great news. He gave a big hug to Paul, and playfully ruffling his hair said, "I told you, this was going to be our year, Macca."

George was looking closely the magazine, and simply added "My ears look too big here."

"That's always, mate." John said giggling.

"Alright, that's a magazine, but do not get overconfident, there's so many other things to accomplish." A stern Mr. Epstein said, who was trying to hide his happiness. "Now hurry up, we need now more than ever that radio interview."

A Friday before George's birthday, his family decided to throw him a surprise party; he returned from spending the day with Paul, who was acting very suspicious, as they entered the house, he suggested  George to go to the backyard for a smoke. As he went out, some candlelights and a string of lights revealed the surprise, they all shouted Happy Birthday, and made him blowout the candles.

His father gave a lovely speech, and John not a very lovely one.  George's other friends brought some wine for the party, but as his mother returned with some wine glasses, she suggested to take the celebration inside the house, since it was chilling that night.

George's brother, had asked Paul to fix the strings of his guitar, since his little brother always promised but never did it. They stayed outside, he smoked while he listen to Paul, who told him some of the jokes his bandmate had said during the interview they had that week, "he told everyone we met each other at an A.A meeting, and then John added it was a S.A meeting, Sexaholics Anonymous, at that time Brian had to stop the interview," they laughed.

George's brother was called inside the house, so he entered, and Paul stayed tuning the guitar.

Ella was also outside, but hadn't noticed that they were the only ones in the backyard, she had been noting her finances in a small notebook she always carried, she was counting the money necessary for either an attorney or to simply escape from her family. That morning Mimi and John suggested her to speak to her brother and get her passport, then leave the city so they wouldn't find her; it was a sad plan in part because she had gotten so used to them, but it was for the best. She counted the money she'd earn in a week, and added how much more she could gain with an extra job.

Paul had begun to play a song, it was a catchy tune that made her move unconsciously her foot.

Ella turned to see him, he was so lost into his song, that she asked twice, "Is it one of yours or... have I heard it before?"

He didn't stop playing, "I ... I'm not sure, do you think it's by another singer?" He tried to remember, but since he couldn't put lyrics to the tune, and also knowing he had an enormous knowledge of songs he concluded: "I think I just composed it."

"Sounds good, too good in fact." She stood up, "We should join the party," she said.

He kind of got the idea of some lyrics, he couldn't simply leave it be, it was a feeling of fear thinking it was from another band, so he told her he'd be there in a minute.

"Ok," she said rubbing her hands together to mitigate the cold, then in a sweet gesture took her plaided blue scarf an put it around his neck, "I told you, can't have my boss's new talent getting a cold or a sore throat," she smiled and walked inside the house.

Paul didn't even notice to thank her, he just smiled and continued playing humming some lyrics, but he knew they weren't the right ones, until a bit of a verse came from his lips, "I wouldn't dance with another...."

Cynthia asked her to sit next to her, and she was about to but the doorbell rang, since she was closer to it, Ella went to open. Cleo was standing there, with a gift bag in hand.

"Paul asked me to bring this," she entered, gave the gift to George, that was some of his favourite candies, said Happy birthday, and scanned the room for Paul.

"He's outside, in the backyard," Ella told her.

She nodded, and went to look for her boyfriend.

After 2 minutes, that to her felt like 20 minutes, she began to feel curious on why the couple hadn't entered the house; everyone was enjoying the chat, that made Ella think that no one would notice if she went into the kitchen, that had a small window leading to the backyard; she truly didn't want to see them kissing, even though that's what she expected, hoping that they didn't notice her creepiness, she pretended to look for some napkins; lucky for her she heard them arguing, as nosy as she felt that night she decided to leave them be, feeling guilty but happy that they weren't kissing.

"I can't leave the band!", Paul exclaimed.

Ella changed her plans, she decided to be a meddler that night, at least by just listening to their private conversation.

Cleo sighed in annoyance, " C'mon, he says he needs you to be the piano guy at the hotel, he's not opening until June, but if we are to be investors we need to go now."

"If I tell you the truth Cleo, your friends don't always follow through with their plans, that's why I accepted, I thought it was but a fever dream of them." He said, fixing the scarf around his neck, that's when he realised the kind gesture Ella had done, he tried not to smile.

She crossed her arms, "Didn't you tell me you accepted me in every way, that you wanted to make this... us work?"

He looked at the sky, then at her, "Yeah, but this is old us again, you asking me to do everything for you and leave everything I've got."

Cleo was excellent at crying on command, and the tears did appear so sudden, "The idea of being in a relationship is for us to go against the world... if not what's the point?" Seeing he didn't give an answer, her distraught state changed to an angry one, "Paul that music label , they haven't called you because they won't."

He sat again, "I know, I think Brian knows too; still there are others,"

"My friend will have the greatest and wealthiest guests in all Paris, who could sign you in a bit , seeing how good you are; please join me ... don't let me go to France all alone, again," she sweetly asked, holding his hand and placing it on her face.

"I'd need time," he said.

Ella heard that, and thought that was all, she was certain that with that sentence Paul had turned her plan down.

But then he said, "I cannot leave them by tomorrow. I'll go an ask Brian what can I do ok? It's possible I'd have to stay until they find a new bassist."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.8K 352 27
He never grew up after his loss, but she did. He had been living in the past for the last 17 years, refusing to move on from what happened. No one wo...
53.1K 1.4K 41
Charli (Charlotte) McLeod and Paul McCartney grew up together and were each others first love. After Charli's extremely strict religious parents tea...
9.1K 213 50
βπ•Ύπ–”π–’π–Š 𝖔𝖑𝖉 π–œπ–”π–šπ–“π–‰π–˜ π–“π–Šπ–›π–Šπ–— π–™π–—π–šπ–‘π–ž π–π–Šπ–†π–‘ 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–™π–π–Šπ–ž π–‡π–‘π–Šπ–Šπ–‰ π–†π–Œπ–†π–Žπ–“ 𝖆𝖙 π–™π–π–Š π–˜π–‘π–Žπ–Œπ–π–™π–Šπ–˜π–™ π–œπ–”π–—π–‰,❞ βπ•Ίπ–“π–Š...
3.6K 172 24
In 1966, Stephanie returns to London after a journalism assignment in Laurel Canyon, thrown into the midst of the new, swinging culture and the compa...