Roots and Oxygen

By SianaghGallagher

Prince Sage, the man next in line to be king, offers to nurture a dying house plant back to life. He soon rea... More

Chapter 1 - Rotting Roots
Chapter 2 - Inconvenient Deaths
Chapter 3 - Ghosts and Wives
Chapter 4 - Conspicuous Plant
Chapter 5 - Improper Trials
Chapter 6 - Buttons of Exoticism
Chapter 7 - Counterfeit Tears
Chapter 8 - Valuable Grievances
Chapter 9 - Catastrophic Stumble
Chapter 10 - Offensive Compliments
Chapter 11 - Confidence and Waistcoats
Chapter 12 - Firing the Outspoken
Chapter 13 - Exposing Consultations
Chapter 14 - Greenthenor Secrets
Chapter 15 - Perplexing Pothos
Chapter 16 - Intruder's Misfortune
Chapter 17 - Invasive Desires
Chapter 18 - Shielding Leaves
Chapter 19 - Embracing Change
Chapter 20 - Broken Boundaries
Chapter 21 - Green Confessions
Chapter 22 - Indented Vinea
Chapter 23 - Epipremnum Aureum
Chapter 24 - Verdurous Pothos Legends
Chapter 25 - Hierarchy Climbing Plant
Chapter 26 - Blooming Quirks
Chapter 27 - Bizarre Normality
Chapter 28 - Amity
Chapter 29 - Queen's Spectre
Chapter 30 - Deceptions and Espionage
Chapter 31 - Roots and Brutes
Chapter 32 - Three-Sided Penny
Chapter 33 - Tension
Chapter 34 - Worth the Risk
Chapter 35 - Individual Liberty
Chapter 36 - Green Fingers
Chapter 37 - Gold Over Gaiety
Chapter 38 - Caress the Curls
Chapter 39 - Together As One
Chapter 40 - Murphy's Law
Chapter 41 - Skeleton in the Closet
Chapter 42 - Poise, Grace, a Vengeful Face
Chapter 43 - Veiled Veracity
Chapter 44 - Precipitation
Chapter 45 - Anticipatory Anxiety
Chapter 46 - A Conscientious Companion
Chapter 47 - Discreet Encroachment
Chapter 48 - Vigilant Kindred
Chapter 49 - Telling Truths
Chapter 50 - Abscond
Chapter 51 - Blue-Sow Thistle Cottage
Chapter 52 - Amiable Local
Chapter 53 - Tranquil Touches
Chapter 54 - Divulge the Future King
Chapter 55 - Snow Serpents
Chapter 56 - Cognition
Chapter 57 - Rapid Torrent
Chapter 58 - Luculent Relations
Chapter 59 - Green
Chapter 60 - Insecure Confidence
Chapter 61 - Liars Lending Credence
Chapter 62 - Amende Honourable
Chapter 63 - Arduous Decisions
Chapter 64 - Coalition of Pride
Chapter 66 - Augury
Chapter 67 - Whited Sepulchre
Chapter 68 - Dual Crown
Chapter 69 - Room of Truth
Chapter 70 - Semblance of Normality
Chapter 71 - Desolation
Chapter 72 - Candour Queen
Chapter 73 - Egotistic Prince
Chapter 74 - Duplicity
Chapter 75 - Reconciliation
Chapter 76 - Mend Fences
Chapter 77 - Genesis

Chapter 65 - Royal Probity

4.6K 566 329
By SianaghGallagher

Taro didn't like the way Oxley stared at their intertwined hands. His glances were short and disapproving, but Sage only saw his support because he hadn't verbally been told that Oxley didn't agree with their relationship. He doesn't like me, that's obvious. But I don't like him either, and I hope that's just as obvious.

When they left the room, Sage's grip tightened to where Taro felt a heartbeat in all his fingers. He was nervous too, more nervous than what he let Sage believe. The corridors were long and quiet. Their footsteps echoed too loudly as he thought of something to say that would make Sage loosen his grip.

"Who will hate me more, your mum or your dad?" he asked which only made Sage gulp and pull their hands apart, so he could fidget with his jumper sleeve. Nice one Taro, just keep your mouth shut.

"Definitely our mother," Oxley answered, walking in front with hands in his pockets.

Taro stared blankly at the back of his head, wishing he wasn't with them. Oxley had only cared about the fact that Sage could abdicate, and he would be forced to be King instead. He didn't care if Sage was struggling or upset, he cared only about himself. Taro knew that Sage didn't see it the same, and he wasn't about to ruin their brotherly bond by voicing his opinions, at least, not yet. "Well, I'll make sure to be extra nice to her then," he mumbled.

Haliver's office came into view too quickly, and Sage slowed to a halt. "Maybe we should do this tomorrow," he said, turning to face Taro with scared round eyes.

"If you're really not ready-"

"Come on Sage, you need to show them that they can't push you aside," Oxley interrupted.

Taro tensed his jaw. "It's okay if you're not ready, but will you ever be ready to face them in this situation? Will waiting till tomorrow just worsen your nerves?"

Sage's hazel eyes dropped to the floor. He nodded and regained his composure. "I can't keep running. You're right, I just- I need a moment. Oxley, can you make sure they're actually in dad's office?"

Oxley hurried down the corridor. Sage faced the window, and the sun made his dark skin smooth, and his hazel eyes golden, beautiful, and sad. Taro tugged at a black curl and watched it bounce back into shape. "You don't owe anyone an explanation, remember that," he said softly.

Sage smiled, and Taro's heart melted. They held hands again when Oxley reappeared in the hallways and motioned for them to come with him. Taro placed his own nerves to one side. He had to be there for Sage, and he had to be strong. Do not say anything stupid, he willed. Don't embarrass him.

His heart drummed twice as fast as they approached the door. Sage's hand was hot, and a little sweaty. "Don't hold your breath," he whispered, not wanting to deal with him fainting.

Sage brushed down his jumper and stood up straighter with a confident stare. Taro was fascinated and troubled by how quickly he could bury his emotions. Sage pushed the door open, and they entered his father's office.

Haliver mulled by the window with rigid arms crossed over his firm chest. His piercing blue eyes landed on him immediately, and his brows pushed hard into them. Marigold sat behind the desk with one leg crossed over the other and her hands linked over her knee. Her dark eyes fell on him too, though her face of stone was unmoving.

Haliver's eyes dropped to their hands, and he pursed his lips as if he was keeping in words that nobody wanted to hear.

"Hi," Sage said quietly and awkwardly sat on the couch opposite the desk.

Taro sat next to him, making sure their legs and arms touched. Sage didn't shuffle away which was a good start. "Also hi," he said and the Queens neck tightened.

"What are you doing?" she finally asked her son after a painful silence.

"What do you mean?" Sage replied.

"Running off with your Valet like you're on some cheap TV show, that's what I mean."

Taro glanced to Sage. Slowly, he started to glare, and his mouth curled down in anger. Taro crossed his arms, knowing he didn't have to stick up for himself.

"Taro Vinea is my boyfriend," he said through gritted teeth.

Taro's hairs stood on end. His heart swelled with pride. He wanted to gush over the prince and tell him how proud he was because he was the only one in the room who knew how far he had come.

"No," Haliver said, equally as angry, "he's your Valet. This is a scandal! You've made us all look like idiots to the public."

"Is that why there's thousands of people outside supporting our relationship?" Sage questioned.

"This is not a relationship. Mister Vinea, you're fired. Get out."

Sage quickly grabbed his wrist, despite Taro not moving an inch. "If you kick him out, I'm going with him."

Marigold looked up at Haliver. Her expression still didn't change. "Well, as of right now, I quit. No need to fire me," Taro said as though they were talking about the weather. They hated that, oh, they really hated that. Haliver's neck was turning red. Marigold's hard features cracked when her nostrils flared.

"You're bold strolling into this family and putting yourself where you don't belong!" Haliver yelled. "What do you want? Money? Status? Fame?"

Taro had expected a similar reaction. He smiled, pleasantly enough for the red to spread across Haliver's face. "I want your son." Oxley hid a scoff behind a cough. Marigold's face cracked further when her eye twitched. "I like him, he's kind. I couldn't care less about anything that comes with his title, I just care about him."

Sage stared as though he saw Taro for the first time. His eyes studied him with surprise, flicking up and down his face with excitement. "Are you more concerned that I'm dating someone with no title?" Sage asked, tearing their gaze apart to glare once more at his mother.

"No," she said lowly. "I'm more concerned that you're dating a green."

Taro wasn't surprised, but Sage was.

"How did you know?"

Her eyes dropped to his green nails. "It's not hard to tell."

Oxley shrugged. "I knew too."

"How did everyone know about them but me? If I hadn't offered to look after Taro when I thought he was just a plant, then I'd still not know."

"Ah, so that's how you really met," Oxley said. "Well to be fair Sage, you didn't tell any of us that your Valet was a green."

"He's not my Valet!" Sage snapped. "Either accept this, or don't. But we're together now and you're just going to have to deal with it." He clenched his jaw, burning holes into the desk in front of them. "Now will someone tell me what the hell was going on with Uncle Patrick."

Everyone looked at each other. Taro could only look at Sage, feeling proud and honoured to be fought for.

"Was he a traitor because he was gay? Or was he up to other stuff? Everyone knew he was jealous of you on the throne mum, was he plotting something? I'm just tired of not knowing," Sage continued, but nobody spoke. "So, an explanation today would be nice."

Oxley peeled himself off the wall and perched on the edge of the desk. "Uncle Patrick had conspired to kill you."

Sage's jaw hung open. "What?" His voice was suddenly quiet.

"He had conspired to kill all of us to get to the throne, so he was murdered."

"Tell him the whole truth if he demands it," Haliver muttered, turning towards the window as though he had heard the tale a thousand times.

"Well," Oxley cleared his throat. "I murdered him."

The hairs on Taro's neck stood on end, this time because he felt an uncomfortable chill all over his body. Sage tensed against him. "I'm sorry, what?" he asked again. "You . . . what?"

"I killed Uncle Patrick, and not because he was gay before you twist my words, but because he was plotting to kill you and me."

"For the . . . throne?" Sage whispered.

"Not just that." Oxley looked down at his mother, and she glared up at him, so Oxley shifted on his feet. "Also, I've only recently found out that Lord Coniferous was Patrick's husband, and that's why dad hates him so much. So, Taro, welcome to our homophobic family where we all conspire against each other."

Taro didn't alter his expression, not when everyone watched him very closely.

Sage's eyes were wide and unblinking. He gawped at his brother as though a stranger sat in front of him. "You killed Patrick. He was married to Lord Coniferous? Married?"

"He would've killed you."

"I don't just hate him because he was Patrick's husband," Haliver grumbled. "I hate him because he too was in on wanting the throne. I bet his sons also were, though maybe they didn't know his father was married to a man. I doubt they'd speak to him again if they knew. Patrick was so damn secretive."

Taro settled into a permanent scowl. Sage also hunched his shoulders, gawking down at the floor in defeat. Your son is sitting right here. You're so open about hating him because of who he loves. Doesn't that hurt you too? Taro kept his mouth shut. The last thing Sage needed was a huge argument to unfold.

"Can you blame him for being secretive about that when you're so openly unsupportive," Sage groused. "Oxley, I need to see your evidence that he was going to take the throne. It's in that folder in your bedroom, isn't it?"

"Yeah, but-"

"I want to see it now." Sage rose to his feet, frowning at his mother. "If you dare make our lives hard, I'll tear down this monarchy when you're dead."

Sage grabbed Taro's hand. He felt it trembling against him as they stormed out of the office with Oxley hurrying behind. Sage scowled all the way to Oxley's bedroom. He demanded to see the files and Oxley obliged. They sat together at his desk, flicking through written letters, emails, pictures with assassins, and money transfers that were referenced as 'White Owl'.

"Your security name from last year," Oxley said, looming over them both. "He was going to kill you first."

"How did you find this all out?" Sage's voice was barely a whisper. Taro didn't know how to comfort him.

"I snuck out and got drunk at a pub. He visited that pub to meet up with those willing to kill you. He didn't expect me to be there, and he never saw me, but I saw him and got curious."

"And you killed him." Sage ran a hand down his face. "Why didn't you just get the police involved?"

"To tell them that Uncle Patrick was planning on killing the Queen and her two sons because he despised the green, and couldn't have a prophecy in power? Imagine the press once they found that out. They didn't even know he was married to another man. I couldn't guarantee your safety that way, but I could by killing him."

"How did you kill him?" Taro asked, frowning. Prophecy in power? What does that mean?

"I killed him with an ivy plant," Oxley said, locking eyes with Taro. "Patrick fought back, and the plant almost got torn to pieces. I then dumped it by the side of the road because it was a murder weapon."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37 2 5
Prince Farris Lumenne only wanted to find out the secrets of the magical artifact he picked up during the only adventure his father, the King, let hi...
1.3K 179 8
After the crown prince turned twenty-five, the king and queen organized a ball in hopes of finding him a suitable bride. Yet, something strange occur...
68K 3.1K 48
[GxG] Sage Miller, a young woman in her twenties didn't have the best life growing up. Her journey in life had its shares of downs and disappointment...
Royal Thief By Rai

General Fiction

7.4K 401 56
PREQUEL | BL Alone in his huge room, no people roaming in the dark alley, not enough good guards guarding their manor. Soon to be Duke, Lord Idris Ga...