We Were Meant to Be

By anya_jayvyn

An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I... More

warnings & author's note
character aesthetics
playlist
01 | arriving
02 | destined
03 | gone
04 | broken man
05 | new beginning
06 | first night
07 | psycho
08 | the boss
09 | the offer
10 | new place
11 | stay
12 | close to you
13 | good morning
14 | butterflies
15 | boys
16 | teach me
17 | the lost treasure
18 | beneath the surface
19 | unusual
20 | encounter
21 | her
22 | warm
23 | awakened
24 | forbidden
25 | frozen heart
26 | sick
27 | cruel betrayal
28 | numb
29 | burning
30 | heaven
31 | with you
32 | longing
33 | daddy
34 | friends
35 | jealousy
36 | reality
37 | realization
38 | bodyguard
39 | clash
40 | don't go
41 | sorry
42 | gift
43 | paint
44 | brother
45 | lips
46 | party
47 | possessive
48 | dance
49 | found
51 | in my arms
52 | couples
53 | hidden
54 | feelings
55 | all of me
56 | in your eyes
57 | secret
58 | hopeless
59 | celebration
60 | hidden section
61 | mystery guy
62 | one wish
63 | a night to remember
64 | hold me
65 | surprise
66 | chaotic
67 | embrace
68 | bliss
69 | a beginning for another
70 | sweet heaven
71 | not so safe word
72 | catching up
73 | careful
74 | checkmate
75 | heart in disguise
76 | deserted
77 | in the mirror
78 | good girl
79 | special guests
80 | one step further
81 | the meeting
82 | half of my soul
83 | confession
84 | her promise
85 | the day
86 | face to face
87 | something to witness
88 | the missing piece
89 | the truth
90 | crumbling
91 | falling apart
92 | waiting
93 | farewell
94 | heartbreak
95 | broken girl
96 | closure
97 | finding you
98 | fight for us
99 | unexpected
100 | paintings of you
101 | newcomer
102 | torn
103 | till death do us part
104 | the man who loves me
105 | his promise
106 | the taste of happiness

50 | if only

96.1K 4.7K 3.2K
By anya_jayvyn

AN:
Hi guys, since it's a triple update, please make sure that you've read Chapter 48 and 49 :)

***

I hate this kind of party. A fucking college party. I've never wanted to be reminded of college life, but ever since Nevaeh stayed with me, it has been something that I can't escape.

Fuck. She doesn't even want me to be here.

I hate how weak I am when it comes to her. It's like I want to believe everything, but I'm afraid that nothing even exists in the first place.

I sigh, placing my beer back onto the table with a loud thud.

Wrong choice of drink. I should have a cup of hot chocolate.

"Isn't he Aiden Klein?" A girl exclaims as she passes by.

Her friend immediately stops in her track too. "Oh my God. It's really him."

I can't hear clearly what they say again because of the loud music, but their excitement is all over the air.

I try to not pay attention, but the longer I stay here, the more I feel people's eyes on me. This is what Nevaeh was talking about. She doesn't want anyone to snap a picture of us.

My heart sinks at the thought of never being able to have her in my arms. I don't want to fall into this chaotic mess, but I'm already in it.

My eyes narrow as Nevaeh's friend approaches me. To my surprise, she takes a seat next to me and swallows.

My eyebrows raise. What is she doing here?

"Um... I'm Maya, Nevaeh's friend," she says without looking at me. "I just want to tell you that she's thinking about you."

I turn my head toward Nevaeh, who abruptly tears her gaze away from me. My heart thuds as I notice her cheeks turning pink.

Goddammit.

What Maya said doesn't necessarily mean something good, though. I don't know what Nevaeh is thinking about me.

A frown touches my lips when I see two guys stopping at her table. They say something, and she welcomes their conversation in a friendly manner. They seem to know each other. Maybe they're her classmates.

My expression must have shown something unpleasant, because the next thing Maya says is, "Don't worry. She likes older man."

I freeze. I shift my attention to Maya, and she nods quietly.

Did I just hear her right?

Does Nevaeh like older man?

Fuck yes.

I watch as the guys finally leave Nevaeh's table. Right. Those guys can go to hell. The same goes for that stupid boy, Kai. He can say anything he wants, but there's no way that God will change his age.

Nothing, nothing can change his age. I smirk in satisfaction.

Maya's hand shoots to her mouth, as though she finally realizes that she has spoken too much. "Um... I think I should go back now," she echoes before tottering toward Nevaeh.

When Maya arrives at Nevaeh's table, another girl and a man approach them. The three of them sit with Nevaeh. The man says something, and Nevaeh laughs.

The scene triggers me, more than I could ever imagine.

Who the fuck is that man?

Why the hell is Nevaeh laughing at what he said?

Before I know it, my legs bring me closer to them. I approach them with full strides while my blood boils.

Nevaeh is taken aback. Her eyes widen as she stares at me in shock.

I take the empty seat beside her, eyeing the newcomer with a cold stare. Judging from his appearance, he definitely looks older.

I shift my gaze to Nevaeh and give her a small smile. "Can I sit next to you?"

She stares at me with mouth agape. I continue glaring at the man in front of me.

A few seconds pass before Nevaeh abruptly speaks, "Everyone, this is Aiden. My..."

Daddy.

Say it. Fucking say it.

"Friend." Nevaeh smiles nervously.

Fuck.

"Aiden, this is Ash, and Maya," she pauses, as though she's thinking about how she should introduce the last one. "And Flynn."

Flynn scrutinizes me, and I don't like the look on his face. It's like he knows what's bothering my mind.

"Aiden?" he repeats my name before offering his hand for a handshake. "Nice to meet you. I'm Flynn."

Being friendly with him isn't something that I want to do right now, but since he has offered a handshake, I accept it.

"How old are you?" the question slips from my tongue before I can't prevent it.

I can't help it.

I can't help the glare on my face either.

Everybody at the table gawks at me.

Flynn's eyebrows shoot up while Maya looks down at her lap. She looks like she wants to knock her head on the table.

Flynn chuckles and shakes his head in disbelief, but he answers nonetheless, "29."

I feel like I want to launch a nuclear missile.

He's 29? He's a year older than me?

Fuck.

"And you are...?" His tone is somehow filled with mischief. He raises his eyebrows, expecting me to answer my own question.

Like I would fucking answer it.

The atmosphere is getting more uncomfortable. I can see clearly that Aiden is not happy, but I wonder why he doesn't answer Flynn's question.

He's 28 -- it's a simple answer. Should I answer it for him?

But there's a bigger problem here. The quicker we can leave the party, the better. Our secret isn't safe anymore, with so many people here, especially with Flynn here.

"I think I should go home now," I say, surprising Maya, Ash, and Flynn.

"But you just got here," Flynn protests.

I gulp. There's no way that Flynn wouldn't suspect what's happening between me and Aiden, but I just want to get out of this madness right now. Aiden looks like a ticking time bomb.

"I'm not feeling well," I say weakly.

"I'll drive you home." Flynn immediately stands up.

To make matters worse, Aiden does too. He grabs my hand and hisses, "She's with me."

Before Flynn can say anything else, I quickly cut him off, "It's okay, Flynn. He's right. I'm with him. I'll go home with him."

Flynn, Ash, and Maya look speechless. They watch in disbelief as I give them an apologetic look.

Aiden leads me to the front door, and while we're walking through the crowd, I bump into Kai.

"Nevaeh?" Kai's eyes widen at the sight of me leaving. "You're leaving now?"

Before I can answer him, Aiden tosses him a menacing look to stay the hell away from me. Kai freezes, now noticing Aiden and our connected hands.

Again, I feel the guilt inside me.

"Nevaeh." Maya's voice makes me turn around. She rushes up to me and hands me my clutch bag. "You forgot this."

"Thank you so much," I say.

I glance at Kai, and Maya seems to understand my worry. She nods at me and gives me a look that says, 'Don't worry. I'll explain to him.'

I know that Maya can't bear seeing someone suffer, and even though Kai looks heartbroken right now, I trust Maya to explain to him the truth, about my feelings for Aiden.

The night air blows through my skin as we step out of the house. While we're walking further toward the street, Aiden calls Sam to get the car ready.

Sam arrives shortly after. Aiden opens the car door for me, and I step into the car quietly. After Aiden gets in from the other side, Sam starts driving.

The journey back home is silent. The only thing I can hear is my own heartbeat.

During the ride, Aiden doesn't even throw me a glance. He's facing the window the entire time.

But I can feel how tense he is. He covers his eyes with his palm and mutters a curse.

"I'm sorry." His voice is shaking. "I'm sorry, Nevaeh."

I feel like crying. I should be angry at him for what he's doing to me tonight, but looking at him right now, I can't.

He looks so messed up. He's fighting something inside him, something so powerful.

After what happened today -- the kiss and everything else -- I would be blind if I didn't realize his feelings for me.

My heart tells me that this man wants me, but there's something else pulling him back.

I can feel how much he wants to be with me. I can feel his longing. But I can also feel his fear. His agony.

He's afraid of his feelings for me.

He doesn't trust me.

"Aiden," I whisper painfully.

I want to lean closer to him and tell him that everything will be okay, but an unknown force is blocking us. We're both scared to take the big step.

I've never been in love. I've never even been in a relationship. I don't know how to make a man like Aiden happy.

Will I ever be able to make him as happy as he'd been when he was in love with Olivia?

If only I knew, I would do it in a heartbeat.

We're still not talking when we arrive at his penthouse. I have so many things I want to say to him, but it's all stuck in my head.

I don't have the courage to say it.

It's okay.

I'm here.

Just let it all out.

I'll listen.

"Aiden." I follow as he strides toward his room, but before I can open my mouth, the door is closed in front of my face.

And then, my eyes become blurry with tears.

***

AN:
Hi guys, I'm sorry for ending this part with a sad scene. But I promise you that the next chapter will be much much better :)

Some of you might have heard about the latest update about my mom's health condition from the announcement on my message board and that's why there was a delay in updating this story. My mom has been diagnosed with ILD (Interstitial Lung Disease) and if any of you have seen someone else who's going through the same thing or maybe even have experienced it yourself, please, please feel free to share it with me.

Love,

Anya

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 68.3K 63
He pinned me to the wall and brought himself impossibly close to me. I was trapped, quite literally. He grabbed my ass and I gasped at the sudden gus...
62.5M 2.5K 6
Brielle Newman A 21-year-old girl who was struggling to make life comfortable for herself and her niece, Delilah. Her sister left the baby the minute...
4K 165 32
𝐒𝐢𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐄𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧 was raised from the ground up knowing nothing but comparison and perfection. She compared herself to her successful parent...
28.1K 1.1K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...