His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

Af RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... Mere

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter 69: Bloodline

77 3 0
Af RaeySam

"There is not enough  magic in a bloodline to forge an instant, irrevocable bond."

-James Earl Jones
⚜️

"I shall see what the king is up to these days." She said. "Once we are certain that he is out of the way, I shall send for you."

Rosalind then left Em and Alexi to tour the grounds.

Em did not hope much but she felt nervous. What would the marquess think of her? She wondered.

"Since we are here why don't we do a little experiment?"

"Like what?"

Alexi gave it a thought as they passed through the hallway. "Let's see if anything could trigger your memory. I was told that Rosalia grew up here."

Her brows came together. "You sound as if I really am Ros' sister."

He shrugged, "Worth a try, don't you think?"

Em gave in. "Well, at least I shan't die of boredom here. But...I will not promise anything good would come out of this."

He offered his arm and they went outside. Immediately, her face was met with salty air. Up ahead she could hear the waves crash against the rocks. A little bit further, she could see the edge where ruins of a stone wall lay neatly.

Em caught her hair but a few strands still escaped the pins. Her eyes looked down below and saw the angry waves rock back and forth.

"Highdoor castle sits on this cliff." Alexi explained. "This was once one of our defense towers. Up there," he pointed to a nearby clearing, "is where the runner would circle the grounds and light the pit. Once the fire is noticed, the castle sends an alarm to the nearby towers."

And it made a perfect location for such missions. It was high up and the rocks below were sharp and rigid, making it impossible to dock and launch an attack. She could picture out the footmen preparing for battle and cannons would echo throughout the island.

"Ring any bells?"

She shook her head. "But I like it here. The wind is strong and salty. Nothing like where I grew up."

"Sure is. The Rheinhold's own two more castles around the coast but this one is the largest. It's probably why the marquess chose to make it his home. Despite the absence of weaponry, the place is speaks of battles and other stories."

"Is that why they are very influential?"

Alexi offered they move back indoors before answering. Once they were far from the windy trails he said, "The Rheinhold's are not only known for their battles and riches. They were one of the first families to have settled here and had contributed so much in molding this kingdom."

"Then shouldn't they have a ducal title?"

"The previous kings have offered it to them but they seemed to be only interested in protecting the kingdom and conquering enemies. But as the years went on, some of their sons become knights and their daughters married gentry and other high positioned men. And now they hold the marquess as one of its known titles."

"What an impressive family."

"Indeed. And you, may just be part of it."

Em gave him a smile, "I may also not be part of it. Remember, we cannot prove my lineage still. Also, knowing their history makes me think very little of myself. They sound so accomplished and amazing. While I...well, I am me."

Alexi stopped and pointed to the library. "Maybe a little bit more of background can help."

"Whatever you say, your majesty." And she went in not expecting anything.

She turned her eyes and froze. The library had a glass ceiling that bathed the room in pure sunlight. The walls were painted a light yellow, making it softer to the eyes. Several furniture lounged in the corners to provide comfort. The floors were gray tiles, shiny and smooth under her feet. And with the shelves neatly kept, it looked like a scene from a novel.

"It's beautiful."

Alexi hid his smile and followed her gaze. "I remember that you liked libraries. Except of course that one time when we...umm..that was a mistake I will never forgive myself. Sorry, Emelia. I only meant to show you this place. Now I have ruined it."

"Don't be too hard on yourself, Alexi. I have already forgotten and moved on from the incident." She replied and began to move along the shelves. Her fingers touching the books ever so gently.

Em heard him muttered something but got distracted on the volumes. The Rheinhold's kept interesting titles. She longed to pick one and start reading but there were too many to chose from. She turned away and smiled at Alexi, "I think I am going to have a grand time here."

He smiled back and said something. Em looked at him and asked him to repeat what he had just said and he did. She saw his lips move but could not hear anything. Alexi noticed her confusion and held her hands, he squeezed and asked what was wrong. But Em has turned deaf.

Suddenly, a loud noise pierced her senses. It was too high pitched and she could not understand what it was about nor where it was coming from. She pulled her hands away from him and covered her ears.

"Emelia? Emelia! Are you alright? What is happening?"

She fell down on the floor with both hands on her ears. She tried to shake the noise away. "Make it stop! Make it stop!"

And as the noise grew louder the clouds darkened. The room was turning bleak and shadows crept from the corners. Em was suddenly seeing a mob—an angry one, breaking through the doors. Men and women carried torches and were shouting at what seemed to be her. They were pointing at her, saying something...something...

Everything went dark and Em went limp.

When she came to, she saw Cassandra lighting up a candle. The girl noticed her gaze and turned.

"Oh! You are awake!" She ran towards her bed and touched her cheeks. "How do you feel?"

"P-parched..."

Cassandra quickly poured her some water and helped her sit up. Once she felt calmer and much awakened she asked, "What happened?"

"You had a faint spell, miss."

"I did?" She looked around. The room was not familiar. "Am I back at the palace?"

"No. You are still at Highdoor castle. This is the room we prepared for you." She took the glass from her and stood up. "I shall ask the cook to make something for you. You must be famished."

"Wait! Is the prince still here?"

"He is. I believe he and lady Rosalind were speaking with the doctor about your condition. Would you like to see them?"

"Yes, please."

"No worries. I shall send for them."

Em nodded and waited until the doors closed. She examined herself and noticed that she was dressed into her sleeping gown, perhaps to make her comfortable. She slid of the bed and found her robe hanging on a peg. There was fire burning so she was not cold but the floors chilled her toes. She sat on the rug and curled into a ball.

Her mind tried to understand what had occurred but she couldn't recall what happened. Just then, the doors opened and both Alexi and Rosalind came in.

"Emelia!" Alexi ran to her. "How do you feel?"

"Quite alright." She turned to Rosalind. "Thank you for watching over me, my lady. Cassandra told me you've opened a room for me. I apologize for what happened. I feel silly. I have never fainted before."

"Nothing to worry about." Ros said and sat down on the nearby chair. "Fainting spells occur at some point. I am lucky that I have not experienced one just yet. Perhaps, the journey has taken a toll on you."

"Perhaps.." she looked at the flames and flashes of an angry mob appeared briefly. Before she could see it clearly, the apparition went away. "I do not seem to recall what happened."

"I do." Alexi said and joined her on the rug. His legs crossed on top of the other while his laid on his sides. "We were at the library and suddenly you were looking lost. At first I thought you couldn't hear me. You seemed to have gone deaf for a moment and then the next, you were covering your ears. As if you heard something that I could not. You told me to make it stop but I did not know what you meant. I tried to hold you but then you fainted."

Rosalind listened intently. "And you cannot recall anything? Anything at all?"

Em shook her head but the image of the angry mob burned her mind. She was unsure if she should tell them or not.

"Has something happened at the library?" Asked Alexi. "Perhaps it is haunted? And the ghosts were scaring Emelia?"

Ros looked at him as if he had just cracked a joke. "At this time and age, Alexi? Ghosts? Honestly? Have you gone mad?"

"Well, the castle is an old fortress. Many souls died here. And someone may have died a terrible death. One that is now haunting your library."

"True but I, myself, have stayed in the library before and nothing happened to me. I even spent nights in there. All alone."

"Maybe the ghosts like you? Its your house afterall."

"Then why did they come for Emelia? And not you?"

"Enough." Em interrupted. "Its not ghosts, so quit bickering you two."

They both looked at her.

"I think...I think I saw something."

"What? What did you see, Emelia?"

She closed her eyes and summoned the images back. At first nothing stirred. Then, one by one, she could see it again. She opened her eyes once more and said, "Witch. They called me a witch."
***

The next day

Rosalind barely had sleep as she decided to uncover the mystery of Em's faint spell. But after hours of reading through Highdoor's history, she found nothing. Dawn broke and the roosters awakened the household. Her eyes remained closed, the room grew cold but she found a comfortable position by the fire. She hugged the blanket and sighed. As the lady of the house she cannot afford to be lazy. She thought a short respite would be enough but it was already daybreak. In fact, she had just closed her eyes but forgot how late it was.

As hostess, she needed to attend to her guests. With a quick trip to her chambers and a change of clothes, she was on her way towards the dining hall. She gave them a bright smile and called for breakfast.

Alexi accepted the coffee offered to him. He looked like he needed it badly. Ros knew that he had studied the library and had probably stayed up the entire night as well.

"I sense someone has been up late."

They all turned to Bastien. He, unlike them, looked neat and had no bags under his eyes. In fact, he was the picture of a well rested man.

It was Rosalind who replied, "There been matters that needed attention, your highness."

"I see. It must be difficult for you to manage a household this big, let alone the rest of Dubley."

"My father's advisers are very wise and kind to me. I barely had troubles since he...since the sickness has taken over him."

Bastien chewed on his meat, "Well, I say, you are doing a marvelous job. You'd be a great lady of the house, one day. If not queen—that is." And threw Alexi a look.

To which the prince answered with a cough, "This is great dish, my lady. Please send my regards to your cook."

"I shall."

It was clear that whatever Bastien just said was dismissed. Em caught on it but decided not dwell much. She ate in silence but the king refused to spare her at all.

"Forgive me, Miss Roderick. It seems I spoke without thinking." He gave her a charming smile. "You must be confused by what I meant."

"It is no matter, your highness. Such topics are not for people of my station to hear."

"Oh, but I believe we ought to clear this. Considering your relationship with Alexi and all. People will talk soon so why not hear it from me firsthand? The thing is, the crown prince was promised to Lady Rosalind but he is not claiming her just yet. But in time he must or there will be consequences. Therefore, he cannot take any other woman. There ought to be no hard feelings, huh?"

"We do not have a relationship—"

Alexi slammed his fork down. "I am full. Who wants to see the beach?"

Em looked at Alexi's extended hand and hesitantly took it. Rosalind gave her a look to get away and she would hold down the fort. Em couldn't even excuse herself because the prince was already pulling her away.

Once they were gone, Bastien turned to Ros.

"Aren't you worried they'd end up together?"

She shook her head. "The prince still has a few months to decide before the enthronement could take place. He can dally with anyone. I am in no hurry to marry anyways."

"I do not think he is merely dallying with the girl. Why else would he bring her here?"

"The prince and I suspects she is a child of an exiled family. Considering how she has no memory of who her parents were or how she got to Kelmsleigh." Ros wiped her mouth, announcing that she too, was done with breakfast. "It seems that they are here to find her roots. Mayhap, someone would recognize her or her parents. We all know that these children often are not told about our laws."

Bastien seemed bored just as she expected. Better she let him on the truth instead of lying directly at his face. They would soon find out anyways.

"She does not strike me as a gentry. Perhaps, if she belonged to an exiled family it would be from the common people's side." He said and rose to his height. "Either way, one cannot deny her exceptional beauty. If she is indeed from Habsburg then our law shall see to it that she does not suffer from her parent's sins."

"That is what we hope, your highness."

He gave her a curt nod and left. Seeing his footmen gathered outside, she surmised that he maybe going somewhere.

It was time.
***

Alexi took Em to the towers. Up there, they could see the palace and beautiful houses below. They enjoyed the silence for some time.

Alexi finally spoke, "I apologize for his behavior, Em."

"Do not be. He only speaks his mind."

"A mind we all wish to not be so bold." Ros added as she climbed up. "He went overboard, admit it."

"But he is king. His word is—"

Ros scoffed and sat down the bench. Her piercing blue eyes looked out to the sea. "Does he strike you as one?" Then she turned to Em. "Do you see him behave as king?"

"I...I do not understand what you mean, my lady."

"Bastien is the regent. And Alexi is rightful heir. He is merely ruling until the prince marries or is of age."

"But, are you not of age?" She asked him.

"Not according to Habsburg law, I am not. Kings are crowned as early as ten and eight if they are married. Or a regent of five and twenty sits and reigns until the heir is of the same age to rule."

Em's confusion rose even more. "Then the king is..."

"My uncle. My father's younger brother."

That explains why he looked way too young to be Alexi's father. "But he is still the king. Until you are married then."

Alexi nodded, "Except that I am not yet. My late father, bless his soul, proposed that I marry Rosalind if she is not married by my next birthday."

"And I do not see myself shackled to anyone just yet. Not even to the future king of Habsburg." Ros added. "Alexi and I do not have romantic feelings for each other, I can assure you that."

Em felt assured but knew it was unnecessary. She did not have such feelings for Alexi either.

"He thinks that the prince fancies me. So he warned me about your betrothal."

Ros shook her head, "An empty warning; as it is not needed. Also, we are not betrothed lawfully."

"Well, I should tell the king—regent that I am in no position to demand the prince's attention. Nor would I want to. That should relieve his mind, wouldn't it?"

"Don't bother, Emelia." Ros said as she stood up. "He rarely acts like a king anyways. And his time is ending soon. Come," she offered her hands, "let us meet the marquess."
***

Em knew she need not be nervous but she felt it immensely. There was no assurance that the old man would recognize her, let alone remember her younger self. But when she saw him sitting rigidly on his bed, his head covered with dark hair, skin pale perhaps a little bit wrinkly and eyes so dark it felt like she was being stabbed. He was looking at her too intensely.

A servant came to bring them tea and left. Ros pulled a chair and carefully waved a hand at her father's face. That way she could tell if he was aware of his surroundings. His eyes blinked, looking somewhat dazed or in a trance.

"Father, we have guests." Ros sad as she sat down next to him. "The crown prince Alexi has brought a friend."

"Good day, Marquess." Alexi said with a smile. "You remember me, do you not?"

The marquess looked at him and showed recognition. "Your majesty. It is a pleasure to see you again. Although I must apologize for how I must look."

"Fret not, this is no formal visit. Rather, a private one." Then he turned to Emelia. "I would like you to meet—"

"Rosalia.." he interrupted. "It is you, is it not?"

Em simply blinked. That was rather fast. She looked at Ros.

"Father, you remember Rosalia? Can you tell that it is her? Is she my missing sister?"

The marquess turned to her, confused. "Of course, she looked exactly like her mother. The witch!" He tried to rise but his lower body had no strength, so he merely slumped back. His eyes searched Emelia once more. "How did you get back here? I threw you out."

"I was never here—"

"You get away from me and my family!" He threw a nearby book at her but missed. "I regret the day I married your mother and I regret all the more that she bore me yet another daughter and not a son to inherit my name. Your birth brought nothing but disaster to me."

"Father! How could you say that? Rosalia was but a child when she disappeared." Rosalind stood up. "You told me she was taken but now you say that you were the one who exiled her? Is that what really happened?"

The marquess's face flushed a deep red of anger. "I said it to protect you. So you would not look for them—her."

"You are insane." Ros snapped. "Why would you separate me from my sister? And my step-mother, what has become of her?"

"Dead, I hope."

Tears flowed down Ros' eyes. "I do not believe it. The father that I know is kind and loving. You held Rosalia with such love when she was born, I was there so dare not deny it! How could you do this?"

"Because I can!" He roared back. "Do not treat me like an invalid just because I am bed-ridden. I have not lost mind just yet."

"Perhaps you already have." Rosalind said, wiping her tears. "No man in his right mind would cast away his own flesh and blood."

The marquess was fuming with rage but he could do nothing. Here he had his first born, screaming at him like he was an animal. And his other daughter, the one he had forgotten. The heavens must be punishing him.

"I am still the Marquess of Dubley. Until I am dead you cannot bend the rules in my house. Nor question my actions. You," he pointed to Em, "are not welcomed here. I care not if you have the crown Prince's protection but you are no longer my daughter."

Alexi and Em took it as their queue to leave. "We have upset you my lord. We shall be on our way now."

Alexi opened the door and pulled Em out. But she gave the man one last glance and saw anger and fear on his eyes. That was when she knew, she was this person's offspring.
***

Em sat by the fire and had emptied her thoughts. Alexi came in and saw her looking lost.

He cleared his throat but she paid no heed.

"They are still arguing." He said. "Ros may not be joining us soon."

Em finally showed signs that she was present. She turned to him. "He was telling truth, Alexi."

"Which part? About the sending his daughter to exile? I doubt it, Emelia. The doctors have long ago diagnosed the marquess not of sound mind for some time now. He must be making it all up." He joined her by the fire. "Besides, if he did do that, a royal decree must have been written with approval. I doubt my father would have given him that. He is not one to exile women or children so easily."

"Then your father is a kind man. The marquess though, I believe him. When he said I was his daughter." She took a deep breath. "His eyes told me he was horrified of my presence. As if I was some ghost who came to haunt him. But he was telling the truth. Just not the reason why he did it."

Alexi listened and shook his head, "I will not take his words so easily, Emelia. It is not enough to prove that you are Rosalia. Not unless his revelations opened your forgotten memories?"

It was turn to shake her head. "I was reminded of nothing."

"Then we do not take his words to heart. Perhaps by the morrow, he would have forgotten all of these."

Em doubted he would. She could tell, from all the anger that was thrown at her, she was the marquess' unwanted daughter.
***

Rosalind finally called it a night and have summoned her father's physician. She asked him to give her father something to help him sleep. The old doctor remained professional and did not ask why they were both crying.

She left her father's chambers and sought peace on her own. While she made her way down the stairs, a shadow lurked and followed the direction whilst she came from.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

5.2K 420 31
Sequel to "Escape from the Witch Hunters" Jack kept walking towards her and Ami kept backing up until finally she hit the wall. "Why are you doing th...
258 27 14
She siped on her tea with elegance yet she was feared. She dressed up like a pretty doll yet her sword swinged like lightening. Her eyes mesmerized...
1.6K 498 29
Iris Mays knew being accepted to a prestigious high school as a lower class citizen would have it's ups and downs. But she didn't know one of those...
3.2K 132 20
"Stay away from me, don't talk to me except if it is about my son or about something very important. And lastly don't fall in love with me" he said "...