His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

By RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... More

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter 68: Rheinhold

49 4 0
By RaeySam

"Sisters are different flowers from the same garden."

-Unknown

⚜️

"I...I...wait, did you say sister?"

"Yes." Rosalind swallowed before continuing, "I lost my younger sister when she was but four. If she were here, she'd be around your age."

"But, I am here and I am not her...unfortunately."

Ros grabbed her hands, "You have the same set of eyes. Even the way you smile and effect you have with the people around you, it is so similar to hers."

Em shook her head. "You are mistaken, my lady. At four, I was living with the Davensport's as their servant. I told you that I was an orphan and have no memory of where I was from. Surely, there are others who have the same features like I do."

"Then how do you explain why you were there in the first place? How did you arrive in the West and have forgotten about the East?"

"My parents must've have left me there. But no one can tell me for certain. The dowager found me at their doorstep and took me in. I waited for years, for a sign, of anyone to come for me." Em sniffled and felt tears coming. "But no one has come. Not one."

Ros felt her sadness and decided to hug her. "I am sorry for such sad experience. Please, let me prove that you are indeed Rosalia. And I will make it up to you, for all those lost years. We will be family again."

Em accepted the hug because it felt genuine. She cried for some time until she felt better. Ros handed her a kerchief.

"What do you suggest we do?" Em asked her.

"Let us go to Dubley. There, I will introduce you to the Marquess. He may be old and frail but he knows his own blood when he sees one."

"Do you think he can recall his lost daughter?"

Ros bit her lip. "He may not. But I want to count on it. Besides, it was him who exiled that said daughter."
***

Em left Rosalind's side with the agreement that they will meet again on the morrow. She did not want to give her hope but the sorrow in Ros' eyes were real. It crushed her heart to see that. If it would ease her mind that Em should meet the Marquess then she'd be happy to try and help.

The ball was reaching its end and most of the guests have retired. Em decided it was time for her to go as well.

She looked around and saw no presence of the king or the prince. That may be a good sign. She was quite spent already. It might be best to face them after some good night's sleep.
***

Meanwhile
At Fairclough Manor

Dathan was haunting his brother for answers. It has been two days now since Em disappeared and left no traces. He found the duke in his study.

"A moment please, Damian?"

A wave of hand gave him the signal to close the door.

"What do you want?"

Dathan exhaled and gently, very gently placed his hands on his table. Forcing his brother to look up. "Would you be kind to tell me, where the hell is Em?!"

"She left."

"Of course. I was hoping you'd say you locked her in a cottage somewhere. But now it eases my mind." He said sarcastically.

Damian sighed and discarded the papers he was supposed to be minding. "Take a seat."

"Gladly."

He picked up two glasses and poured brandy. "I do not have your intended, if that helps."

Dathan accepted the glass and downed it immediately. "It helps greatly! Except that I still need to know where she is."

"She did not leave you any message for a reason. And that reason, you may ask, is she does not want you come and find her."

"Bullocks!"

"I know it is hard to accept but that is the truth-" he couldn't finish the sentence as his brother's fist came down on him.

"You saw her that day! She welcomed me in her arms. She was prepared to be with me. So do not tell me that she left all that without telling me why!"

Damian touched his jaw and felt the pain ebbed. Perhaps it was time to tell him. "Fine, she did say something before leaving. I only meant to delay you until she made it safely."

"Finally brother. You are sputtering something useful."

"She left because things here were a chaos."

"And where is she now?"

They held each other's gaze. "She's in Habsburg."
***

The next day

Em welcomed Cassandra on her chambers and read Ros' missive. It seemed that she had to go on ahead because of some important matter but has left her lady servant to accompany her for the journey.

"I can help you pack,miss."

"That is generous of you, Cassie. But I hardly even unpacked upon arriving here."

"Oh, of course. Well, I suppose we can take them trunks and all?"

"I only have two. But yes, let us do that. But first, I must inform his majesty."

Cassie nodded and waited for her to pen a letter for the prince. After folding the paper, she gave it to her outstretched hands. While she waited for the response, Em pulled out another sheet and began to compose a letter for Dathan. It was time to let him know that she was well. She hardly finished the first sentence when her door burst open.

"Your highness..." Em curtsied. "This is unexpected."

Bastien ignored that last bit and ordered the servants to close the door. He went to her window and said nothing.

"May I ask-"

"I shall ask first." He snapped and turned to her. "What is your relationship with the crown prince?"

"I...well, he is a friend, your highness."

"Merely a friend?"

"A close and dear friend. He saved me multiple times when I was in trouble."

He nodded and tried to absorb her words. "He did not try to seduce you?"

Her cheeks flushed and it was answer enough.

"Then he must have done the righteous thing, hasn't he?"

Em raised her eyes. "W-what righteous thing?"

"Marriage of course. Do not tell me that he had debauched you and has not even offered marriage? Then why are you here?" He took a step towards her. "Are you here upon his request? To become his mistress?"

"No!" She yelped and realized how loud she had been. "I mean, no your highness. The prince has not debauched—I meant, he had done nothing that severe. And I am not his mistress, either. I am only here because he was helping me."

Bastien said nothing for awhile. His mind seemed to be in tangles today and Em had to receive its nasty ends. He finally calmed down and took her hands, "I apologize for the boldness, Miss Roderick. I am not a morning person and things have been quite...in a disarray, to say."

"I...I understand, your highness."

He played with her fingers. It had no malice but Em felt uncomfortable nonetheless. She pulled at it gently and fortunately it was enough for him to let go. His eyes scattered and noticed her trunks.

"Are you leaving?"

"Not exactly. Lady Rosalind invited me to visit Dubley. We are to depart soon."

"It is about five hours from here. But shorter if you cut through the fields. Allow me to escort you."

"T-that is too generous of you, your highness. But she had left me her trusted lady for accompaniment."

Bastien was not accepting her 'No'. He was king after all. "It is not safe for ladies to travel without a man."

He walked past her and left. She heard him giving orders for the horses be mounted. Em sank down on her seat. What an impossible man.
***

Em and Cassandra were ushered towards the king's carriage. Her trunks together with Rosalind's things left behind, were in a smaller carriage. Upon arriving, Em noticed that they had other guests.

"Join me, will you, Emelia?" Alexi asked and helped her up the carriage.

She saw Cassandra being led to the one behind theirs. Alexi climbed up and closed the door. "So, care to tell why the king has summoned an unexpected journey, first thing in the morning?"

"Well...Lady Rosalind has invited me to visit Dubley and the king heard of it and offered to accompany us. That is the short version of it."

"Hmm..and will you tell me the long one?"

Em sighed, "You will find it ridiculous."

He smiled, "Try me."

She ended up telling him how Rosalind approached her with the idea that she was her lost sister. That there was no proof that she was but Ros was convinced that her age and time away from Habsburg matched of that her sister's. Then she told him of the king's insistence to travel together. That last bit did not bother Alexi, or perhaps he understood the king's decision.

He was rubbing his jaw. Alexi was always clean shaven and was not the kind to grow mustache that much. "I heard about her—the missing sister. They say she was taken forcibly while other versions said she was exiled."

"Whatever the truth is, I am convinced I am not the person they are looking for. There is no way I am a gentry."

"Why do you think that way, Emelia? Think for a second here. The description of Marquess' missing daughter is vaguely similar to your situation. You were four years old when Lucille took you in, right?" She nodded. "Well, she went missing at four years old, too. Ros was six that time, so she recalls how her sister looked like. So she must've seen that in you."

Em shook her head. "You said the same thing to me, when we first met. That my features told you I was from here. But you also said that I am not alone in the world with such hair and eyes."

"True. I even thought you were some spy sent to kill me. But that part was exaggerated, hence, the event at the library. But, if Ros is so certain that it is you, then perhaps the Marquess can verify that."

"That was her intention. But I doubt it would make a difference. Whether I am that daughter or not."

"Why? Because you prefer this life instead of theirs?"

"Perhaps. And there's also the question: why would his other daughter go missing? Ros mentioned about being exiled. But what could child have done to merit such punishment?"

"I only heard bits and pieces of the rumor. So it would be best to ask her."

Just then the door opened and in came the king. He took the seat next to Alexi.

"Ah, here you all are!" Bastien said. "Best get going then." He tapped his walking stick to the ceiling and off they went.

They traveled and talked about other things. Em and Alexi secretly exchanged glances that the king was better left not knowing.
***

Back at Fairclough

Dathan was packing his things when his mother and father arrived. Lucille looked worried and Vincent looked furious.

"The duke told us that you were leaving."

"Yes, father."

"Where to?"

"Here and there. I shall send you letters. Rest assured, I shall be more correspondent this time."

Vincent tapped his wife's hand and she left. He closed the door and forced his son's attention to him. "You are going after her, aren't you?"

"Who?"

"Do not play sly with me! I know that you adored your mother's companion. Everyone saw what happened at the wedding."

Dathan resigned and sat down. "Yes, father. I am going after the woman I love. There, you heard it. You must be horrified."

"Shocked but not horrified." Vincent snapped. "I could tell when you so willingly volunteered to help her break the engagement. I tried to brush it off and thought you merely had concerns for her."

"I had adored her far earlier than that, father."

He saw him twitch.

"And I am not scared of what you will have to say. I know you are disappointed in me. About my choices, my lifestyle and even my preference for women. I am your spare. My brother's opposite. The black-sheep."

Vincent raised a hand to silence him. "I never thought your were one, Dathan. I cared for you perhaps not as much as I did with your brother. But you must understand that I had to mold him and prepare him for the role."

"Of course. The heir always comes first." He said and closed his trunks. "I understood, father. I have ever since I could remember. So you should understand as well that I am not my brother. I shall marry the woman I want not someone you pick. I may continue to disappoint you further but at least I am being honest to myself." He stood up and made his way towards the door.

"I am not disappointed in you son." He said and grabbed Dathan's elbow. "I apologize if I made you feel that way."

The words stunned him. The great Vincent Davensport was apologizing to him? He must be hearing things.

"Look, I know we do not always meet things eye to eye. But, know this...I will not stand in your way about Emelia. Your happiness counts. I hope that in the future we could mend this rift between us."

He still hadn't turned and his father's grip on him had loosened. So why hasn't he opened the door and left?

"Dathan, I wish you success on your pursuit of this woman. I hope you are not too late."

"Now, you've just killed the mood, father." He turned to him. "What does that mean?"

"Well, for one she is in Habsburg."

"I know. Damian told me."

"And she went there with Alexi."

He paled. "What?"

"It was Alexi's ship that they boarded. He escorted her personally." Vincent grew uneasy. "The king once told me that Alexi was allowed to choose his bride until he turned five and twenty. That is in a few months. If he does not bring a bride, one will be chosen for him. Now, it seems suspicious that he invested so much generosity in Emelia. But I think it make sense now."

Dathan clutched his fists. "He better not plan anything stupid. Or I will break his face, for real this time!"
***

Halfway on their journey, the king's entourage stopped at Duke Sayre's manor to rest and pay respects as well.

The king's cousin greeted them and offered refreshments. Em heard that the two were very close and would often stop by at each other's keep when they could.

"He is very kind." Em noted, as she drank her lemonade.

"That he is." Alexi replied. "Uncle Guian is only three years older than him. They practically grew up together until their roles parted them. But has remained by the king's side ever since."

"And he is unmarried, too." They both turned to Cassandra who giggled. She leaned in and said, "Fancy the duke, miss?"

"Me? What—I...what concluded you to say that?"

She shrugged. "He's rarely taken interest with women and often drove himself to focus at his paperworks. But last night, people talked how he singled you out on the dinner table. We thought you may have taken an interest?"

"Uncle Guian did not single her out." Alexi cut in. "He was only trying to welcome Miss Roderick here. I hope you do not come up with ridiculous ideas, Miss Tinsel."

Cassandra's face fell. "Oh.. I apologize, your majesty and Miss Roderick."

Em gave her a nod and finished her drink. She reminded herself to be careful around men once more to avoid gossips. It was just her second day. She better not be the center of spectacle again.

The king finished his conversation with the duke and ordered for their journey to continue.

Once inside the carriage, Alexi and Bastien talked about politics. It seemed harmless enough that they talked in front of Em.

"I hope we are not boring you, Miss Roderick."

"No, you are not, your highness." She offered a smile.

"Emelia is not easily bored." Alexi said. "Her minds works differently than other women."

"That sounds alarming dangerous." Bastien replied with a wry smile. "I wonder what ideas interests you."

She could not respond as his eyes scrutinized her all over. He had that look where she felt she was being undressed. Why would he behave such way in front of his son? Em could not believe such audacity but then...how could she question a king's behavior? For all she knew, she may be misunderstanding all this.

Alexi noticed her unease and diverted Bastien's attention to something else. Em thanked him quietly and turned her eyes outside. The pasture here was greener and more cattle grazed the open grounds. Ros' family may be into farming and other agricultural means.

Soon, they saw a massive fortress up ahead. A shout sounded from the front announcing that they have arrived at Dubley.
***

Lady Rosalind greeted them with a smile. She looked much more beautiful under the daylight.

"Your highness, welcome to Highdoor Castle."

Bastien kissed her hand. "Thank you for having us, Lady Rosalind. I hope the intrusion does not dismay your beauty."

He had a way with words, Em saw that. Even Ros flushed with the flattery.

They were ushered in and Bastien asked to see the Marquess right away.

"He is in his sitting room." Ros said. "I have informed him of your arrival, your highness."

"Wonderful. I shall pay him a visit but I swear not to wear him out."

"He would be delighted to see your presence."

He bowed and waved at Alexi and Em. His guards walked behind him while the servants scrambled with their things. Ros turned to them, "This way."

They followed her to a private chamber and the servants inside were dismissed. Once the doors were closed she asked, "Why is the king here? I was surprised that a rider came and said that he was expected."

Alexi and Em exchanged glances. It was Em who explained what happened.

Ros sighed. "He loves stepping into people's lives, does he?"

"Forgive him, Ros. The palace often bored him." Alexi said.

"Well, we have to be careful then. I cannot have anyone knowing of our plans." She went to Em and held her hands. "Once we are certain that your are Rosalia, then we announce it all over the kingdom. For now, I ask for your secrecy and thank you for coming here."

"I swear not to speak of it. Alexi only knows because I trust him."

Ros nodded, "I know. Despite his annoyingly handsome face, he is trustworthy."

"I'm still here ladies. And I can hear you."

They giggled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.4K 1.2K 37
"Why-why is he here?" I asked slightly feeling panicked. "Your father, Step- father owes me money. 36 million pounds to be exact." Stefan said as he...
5.2K 420 31
Sequel to "Escape from the Witch Hunters" Jack kept walking towards her and Ami kept backing up until finally she hit the wall. "Why are you doing th...
135K 8.6K 39
She did not want to match with one of his kind; he did not want to match at all. Lillian Adams was set to inherit her father's dukedom- once she had...
159K 6.1K 20
The Second Book in the Bride Series Katharine was a peasant girl, living in the streets of Paris when the Lady Eleanor found her and turned her into...