No Matter What // Zayn Malik

By lostinparadise25

Olivia has had a crush on Zayn Malik from the moment she laid eyes on him, and I mean could you blame her? He... More

No Matter What
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue

Chapter 19

84.2K 1.5K 151
By lostinparadise25

Chapter 19

Olivia's POV

I bursted out laughing as I turned the radio on, hearing the latest music that was trending in the states.

"W-W-What is this? T-This is a real song?!" I bursted out laughing in the passenger seat, keeling over as Zayn looked a little startled beside me.

"What? Thrift Shop? {Aka the best song EVA} " Zayn chuckled.

"I-Is that the name?" I wiped a tear from my eye, leaning back in my seat now.

"Oh yeah," Zayn grinned before belting out the lyrics and doing a little dance in the driver's seat at a stop light. "I wear your granddad's clothes, I look incredible,"

I only laughed harder, Zayn joining in with me. "Oh my gosh, stop! I-I can't. This song!"

"Is it really that funny? It's quite catchy to me."

"I think it is. They're singing about a thrift shop. A thrift shop for crying out loud!" I changed my voice, trying to sound like a little girl. "Is that your grandma's jacket?" Zayn laughed as I did too, his deeper one joining in with mine.

He laughed a little longer than me, so I had to ask what was so funny. We had to stop at another red light and his head was resting on the wheel as he started laughing uncontrollably.

He straightened himself out though, fixing his eyes back on the road, but still snickering a little. "Remember the time when you wore that shirt Ben bought you?" Zayn recalled as my eyes widened.

"Oh, the 'I'm Not Listening' one?" Ah, perfect shirt for a deaf girl.

"That one, y-yes!"

"That was hilarious. I still have that shirt, you know! Gosh, Ben was so scared to give it to me since he thought I'd get mad. I loved it though. It was so funny."

Zayn and I talked like this all the time. Sometimes I forgot we were in a relationship. He was my best friend. Still. I loved this boy. I loved him a lot. Nothing was more comforting than falling in love with your best friend. I could still tell him all my personal stuff and wouldn't have to worry about him spreading it. We promised, even if things didn't work out like we planned, we'd still stay friends.

His arm stayed around my shoulder as we walked into the little vintage cafe. I smiled a little, grinning at the logo.

"I thought you'd like it here." He whispered in my ear, tickling me with his breath.

Cocoa & Dough was a little cafe in a little area of town my dad would take me to when I was little. He'd order me a hot chocolate and a muffin if I was doing good when it came to my sign language lessons. I might sit and color on some sheets quietly to myself or get lost in another long book while he would do some work. We'd play tic tac toe and hangman as well. Sometimes he drew silly pictures to make me laugh.

He'd write to me on the napkin, maybe asking how school was. My dad was always much closer to me than my mother was. When I was younger, I wasn't very close to her at all really. I was always a Daddy's girl. He gave me the attention I needed being deaf. My mother would never admit it but I knew she slightly resented the fact that I was her deaf child. 

Her mistake.

I only realized this when I was older. It explained how her face fell when she'd ask me a question, yell at me when I didn't answer, then remember I was deaf and have to remember the sign language we agreed to use if anyone needed to talk to me.

Sometimes I slightly resented her. She didn't love me at my darkest moments, but suddenly loved me when I was shining bright. I never said anything. I never told anyone. Being deaf gave me plenty of time with my thoughts. Sometimes too much time. I overanalyzed everything. I freaked myself out. I used to have anxiety attacks. 

But the days at Cocoa & Dough calmed me down. The tradition of going to the café seemed to run in the family since Ben would take me too after long days at school. The two of us would just sit in the booths towards the back, do a little homework or just unwind, smells of pastries and sweets undoing all the tight ribbons of stress around our bodies so we could finally be free from their bonds.

I'd sink back into the deep chocolate leather booths, stare at the Parisian paintings on the wall, and marvel at the vintage decor. It relaxed me. The deep shades of the coffee beans in the glass jars along with the cinnamons and sugars, and the sound of them grinding up together just helped me relax. Especially since I could hear it all now. The dings of the oven, the oldies music the waitress would often play. Everything.

A waitress there would always greet us when we came in. She was older, like I said before. Not too old though. Her name was Elaine and was a diehard Beatles fan. She reminded me of Chelsea a lot. She just had this feel and look to her that just screamed home. Maybe it was the way she flashed you a big smile as she passed by your seat, or the way she called you 'Hun' or 'darlin'' as she filled your cup to the rim. Elaine was so down to earth. She was just downright sweet. I finally got to hear her voice a few weeks ago. It was nice. It warmed my heart.

"Well look who it is," she grinned from behind the counter she was wiping down earlier with a small towel. "Jane, is that you, darling?"

"It's me!" I gave her a cheerful smile. She was the only one to call me by my middle name. I didn't mind. I did mind when she darted her brown eyes towards Zayn, a sly grin on her face.

"Remember the last time you came and you giggled about how you were never gonna have a boyfriend?" She teased. "Your daddy better load his shotgun." She dusted off her apron. "Hi sweetie, I'm Elaine. I own this place with my husband."

"Nice to meet you." Zayn stuck out a hand for her to shake but Elaine was a hugger, immediately giving him one to his surprise.

"Sorry, sweetie, but I'm a hugger," she laughed a little, pulling away. "Why don't you two grab a booth and I'll get you something to eat, all right?"

"Sounds good. Thanks Elaine!" I started to follow Zayn to a booth but Elaine stopped me, leaning over the counter on her elbow.

"You be careful now, all right, hun?" Elaine lowly whispered.

"Fine. I will," I said just to get her off my back. "Thanks."

I wasn't surprised. Zayn did have a bad boy look with his tattoos and style. He was so sweet once you got to know him though.

First time Zayn and I met, Josh made it very clear that I wasn't to date him or any of the members of One Direction. Tours went along though and the boys bonded. Zayn and Josh were close and he was still dating Perrie at the time. Josh wasn't as tense. He seemed to trust the boy. But when he rudely said all those things in the article about me, I knew it took every fiber in Josh's body not to rip his head off. Now that I thought of it I don't think I ever did ask his opinion on the relationship.

Or Harry's who was trying to protect me the whole time.

Maybe Mum's.

"So how's school?" Zayn asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. I stirred the hot drink before me that Elaine dropped off earlier. It was my usual. The milk and sugar was blended in perfectly.

"It's s'alright." I shrugged a little. "Your life is more exciting. How's work and all?"

"It's s'alright." He mimicked me, as I rolled my eyes.

"Really, Zayn."

"It's good. Really. We were in the studio a couple days ago. Tour rehearsals are coming up. Maybe you can come to some sometime."

"Oh yeah, I can come see you boys crawl around and try to mess up whoever's singing their solo."

Zayn laughed a little, drinking his coffee. "Pretty much. Maybe this weekend before a little date?"

"Sounds fun." I grinned a little, feeling my cheeks get hot.

"Liv?" I heard someone say from behind me. I whipped my head around to see Ben there, ordering at the register.

"Ben?" I was genuinely surprised to see him. He had been on my mind lately. "What are you doing here?"

Ben gave me a weird look. "Liv, I'm not your ex boyfriend. I'm your brother." He smirked a little as I couldn't help but laugh. I was talking to him in such a way. He came over towards our booth and gave me a quick hug.

"You have a bad day?" I whispered in his ear.

"Since when do you care for your big brother, squirt?"

"Since now, dork. Better hurry up and tell me before I don't care anymore."

"Tell you at home . . . Maybe." He kissed my head then looked up at Zayn, saying hi like guys do with their handshakes and all. He looked back at me, wiggling his eyebrows. I pushed him away before he could say anything else as he cackled, walking away with his beverage to go after exchanging a few words with Elaine as she danced around the cafe, jamming along to 'Come Together'. Ben and her danced a little playfully, making me grin once I saw them. The people inside with us were laughing and smiling at the two.

Zayn and I danced around ourselves, when 'All You Need Is Love' came on. Zayn insisted he wasn't much of a dancer but I immediately started to intimidate how he danced in that one YouTube video. I failed miserably and Zayn showed me up, rocking his hips making himself laugh.

"Yeah, I'm Zayn Malik and I don't dance." I said in my best guy voice, rolling my eyes with a small laugh.

"I'm Olivia Devine and I can't dance." He teased.

"Cool kids don't dance."

"You been going through my closet haven't you?" 

"I like to sleep in that shirt. Deal with it, Malik." I stuck my tongue out at him. "And I can so dance!"

"Then show me, girlie."

Zayn and I swayed to the music. I showed him how to waltz like my mom taught me in preparation for her sister's wedding. He failed miserably the first couple minutes, stepping on my toes. I thought it was cute and I reassured him that I was alright through gritted teeth, not wanting to break his heart and critize his whole form. We only stayed a little longer until I realized it was getting late. He caught me dozing off in the booth. His chuckle made me jerk my head back up, as I focused back on him. I blinked slowly as he laughed a little.

"Let's head home. You're obviously tired." He helped me out of the booth as I reluctantly followed, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"Sorry. I'm tired and I have homework, Zayn." I sighed a little, looking up at him as he paid for our drinks and the warm, gooey cinnamon roll we shared. "Unless you wanna help me . . .?" I perked up a little.

"Sorry, babe. It's all you." He pecked my lips as I pouted. Elaine giggled.

"Please? I might have some art stuff you can help with?" I was tugging on his arm like a little child now.

"You're cute." He said, and I sighed, realizing my puppy dog eyes weren't working. "Did I mention you look really cute in your uniform?"

I blushed a little as he kissed my cheek with a small laugh. The little spot tingled from where his lips once were. 

"You're sweet. Since you're not gonna help me just take me homeee." I whined childishly as Zayn rolled his eyes. He then bursted out into "Kiss You", my request turning into a song now as we walked out the doors. I waved goodbye to Elaine as I slid in Zayn's car, holding his hand as he protectively kept an eye out for paparazzi.

As he drove me back to my house, I wondered what was going on with Ben. Zayn gave me a goodbye kiss, and a big hug as my mind racked about Ben. Whenever I was in his arms, I completely forgot about everything. I could just lie with him and just forget everything.

But as soon as he let go, I worried about Ben again. I wished I could stay in Zayn's arms forever but I couldn't. He kissed my head after walking me to my door. Turning the knob, I prayed he was home and not to busy with his preparation for college. Maybe he was stressed about that.

Was there anything at all going on with him? I'd find out.

I promised to listen. Now I would.

***************************************************************************************************************

If you haven't heard Thrift Shop yet, omg i feel sorry for you. It's on the side and it's the funniest song ever. Don't worry, it's the clean version. :)

the response I've gotten from this story is just amazing. i've had at least three girls who struggle with being deaf tell me how much they love this story and that they can relate to it so much. warms my heart really. :) <3

vote, comment, etc. enjoy the little Zayn gif on the side. aww, isn't he a charmer? lol okay! I shall update again soon. how many parts does this story have? maybe this will be a long Zayn fan fic. idk. i'm thinking outloud. till next time! much love to you all. <3 xo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7M 124K 39
He was destined to be evil; it was in his blood. He was destined to kill; it was in his blood. But destiny takes a turn when he does the unexpected...
14.5K 577 25
in which a guy met a girl online but little did she know they had met before... || a nct haechan fanfic ; â’¸hoshlogy started : 180416 ended : 200723 ...
19.1K 430 13
When Cami finds out she has feelings for KJ, she asks for help from a co-star. She hints on KJ, but will he fell the same? Will he notice those hints...
2.6M 67K 46
Reina is an only child that moved to London from Ireland with her mum. After Reina's mother's bad past with Reina's father, any feelings that Reina h...