His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

By RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... More

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 63: Barfield
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more

61 2 0
By RaeySam

"Virtue has a veil, vice a mask."

-Victor Hugo

⚜️

"That is a lie! Guards, seize her!" Yelled Margeary from the far end corner of the room. Her men came forward and grabbed the woman. "Throw her out and make sure she does not return."

The guards began to drag her away but were met with two sharp swords to their throat. They looked up and saw Alexi and Dathan on the other end.

"Drop your weapons and let her go." Said Alexi.

Both men refused so Dathan poked the other one with the blade, not too brash but enough to scrape the skin. "Drop it!"

They pulled out their own swords and threw them on the floor. Alexi then gestured for Marie to be released and they did so.

"What are you idiots doing?!" Margeary was now emerging from the corner. Her eyes blazed with fury but when she saw and recognized the intruders, she stopped mid-step. "Y-your Majesty Alexi—"

"Stop!" Alexi pointed the sword at her, silencing her next words. "Do not make me order my men to hold you down, countess." Then he looked around and said, "This wedding is off! And we are taking the countess to our custody for all that she has done."

"You will not dare!" Count Mondiego yelled and made his way next to his wife. "You hurt my wife, you will answer to me. I care naught if you were some prince from a foreign land but no one touches her!"

"I admire your bravery and commitment, count. However misplaced it is. She," Alexi meant Margeary, "is not who you think she is."

They saw the countess stiffened.

"What are you talking about? And why on earth would you interrupt my son's wedding?" He waved his fist at the prince. "Have you no respect for other's happiness? Wait until I tell his Highness about this."

Alexi scoffed, "And pray tell, what would tell him should he ask, why your wife held the occupants of Fairclough Manor under hostage?"

"Well...that is..this was all a misunderstanding! The wedding was agreed upon and we simply had to...err..make adjustments to accommodate the event. And they were refusing to participate!"

Alexi pursed his lips and tried not stifle his anger, "I sense that you had a hand in this count. Imprisoning the current duke, duchess and dowager, along with their servants at your mercy makes you just as guilty as your wife. And," he walked towards him, "for forcing Miss Roderick into marrying your son. That is something I cannot simply forgive. She is my friend."

Count Mondiego paled. His eyes nervously looking at Alexi's sword pointed at his chest.

Marie touched Alexi's arm, "He's innocent."

"But he's protecting her." Her whispered back. "His devotion for his wife will be his downfall. But that shall end today. Go and stop the wedding, I'll hold them off."

"I am in your debt, your majesty." Then she turned around and faced Gideon and his bride. She saw his eyes lit up.

"Gwyneth?" He asked, his voice sounded soft and low. "Is it really you?"

She smiled sadly, "Yes."

He blinked again and again. As if seeing her was an illusion. He found himself going down the steps and finally reaching out to her. His fingers brushed past her cheeks, "It is you!" He choked back a sob. "You're alive."

Marie hugged him and Gideon broke down.

"I guess this wedding is off..." the parson mumbled and looked at Em. "Perhaps, you can find love somewhere else again, young lady."

Em's eyes had long ago dried its tears but it was just about to pour down once more, as she saw him across the room. With a sigh she turned to the parson and said, "I already have."

He followed her gaze and noted the brave man who came to rescue her.

Dathan had just tied the guards down and his own driver, Carter, came to his aid. No one else came beyond the door. From the way things looked, it seems that the siege has failed and they were all rescued.

Em lifted her veil and waited until she met Dathan's eyes. He felt her staring and was immediately pulled into her amber gaze. He wasted no time and crossed the aisle to claim her.

What a day it was.
***

Afterwards...

Vincent and along with the friends he had in the authority came to collect the count and countess. Margeary put up a fight when the men began to take her away while her husband merely threw insults and threats at them.

Outside, the Hanselworth's farmers lined up for questioning. Alexi had already began with a few and more of his men helped. It would seem that the prince had a full day ahead of him.

Lucille was crying while holding her husband's arm. "I thought you would never make it."

Vincent smiled, "I will never abandon you, wife." He said and kissed her forehead. "You were right, Margeary did have someone follow us. It was difficult to make a distraction and made it look like I was looking for Doctor Kemps. But her spy was caught and made to confess of all the plans. That's how we learned they planned to trap you all in here."

"She had us all duped but I knew you were going to save us."

"I did not do everything on my own." He replied and threw a glance at his second son. "Someone appears to have taken the instinct to protect those he love and made his own rescue mission."

"I agree. And he did so well, did he not?"

"He's my son after all."
***

Once the farmers were questioned and had signed their confessions condemning the countess, they were let go. The guards who attempted to take Marie away were taken to jail for more questioning. It seemed hours and hours have gone by before the family was able to have their personal matters settled.

Vincent called everyone in the ballroom. Lucille held Em's hands while Dathan stood behind her. Damian and Lydia were seated not far from them, their faces unreadable. Alexi and his valet occupied a seat on one while Marie and Gideon sat across everyone else.

The knight decided to break the silence, "I would like to apologize for what has happened, not only today, but for all the things my mother has caused you. I am prepared to face your anger and frustrations."

No one spoke.

Simply because there was nothing more to say.

Em cleared her throat, "If I may?"

"Go on child." Vincent said.

She looked at Gideon, "I believe that you had no part in all this and that your mother merely used you."

"What could you possibly mean, Emelia?" He asked.

"She told me that she deliberately led me into climbing the bell tower then made up the rumor to threaten us. Her excuse was that, because you seemed to like me, she wanted to get me for you."

"That sounds plausible enough. Margeary does care for her son, so much so that would do anything for him." Lucille said. "As a mother, I can see her point. But I cannot forgive her tenacious ways. Too many people have been affected."

"But to cause a scandal, hostage an entire family to marry her beloved son seemed too much. Wouldn't you all agree?" Lydia asked. "I am not convinced that the countess was doing all of these for the sake of her son's happiness."

"I agree with you, your grace." Em said. "And I believe I know the answer."

"Well? What is it?"

"She was having an affair." Everyone gasped. Even Gideon's eyes drew confusion. "She knew she had so much to lose, should anyone find out, they would faint if they knew who he was."

"Did you mean, Doctor Kemps?" Vincent asked.

Em nodded.

"And so the wedding was merely a distraction. She knew the ton would have their eyes on her daughter-in-law and no one would scrutinize her. It would buy her time to cut off ties with her lover." Vincent added.

"Yes. And she is confident that we cannot link them anymore." Em continued and stared at Marie. "But we do have a witness."

"Her? Why?" Lydia asked.

"I was a patient of Doctor Kemps." Marie answered. "I've known him through the countess' introduction."

"I thought you did not know him?" Gideon asked.

"I lied. Your mother threatened me if I had told you."

His jaw clenched. He had no idea his mother played so much role. One that he never knew.

"And you can attest that they were indeed lovers?" Lydia prodded.

"Yes. And some more."

"What do you mean?"

Marie looked at Dathan. "I think some of you already know. Doctor Kemps was being investigated and there seemed to be nothing incriminating found on his residence. Until his house, that served as a clinic, burned down. And you found my name."

"Not just your name, Marie." Dathan replied. His eyes filled with concern. "We also found Sophia."

Silence reigned but Marie broke down. Gideon held her. "W-who is Sophia? And why are you crying?"

"She's...she's our daughter."

"We...have a daughter?"

"Had..." Marie said in between sobs. "I lost her..he said she was born wrong. That he couldn't save her."

"My god." He hugged Marie. "I never knew. I thought he was there to help you with your sickness. Why did not you tell me?"

"I couldn't tell you. I was so afraid of your mother." She cried some more. "So I decided to deliver our child in secret. Doctor Kemps promised he would take my baby and I will be pronounced a virgin once more. That there would be a lovely couple willing to adopt her."

"I will kill that man!"

"Gideon, no! He was merely trying to help me. He meant no harm to Sophia and I. I was there when she was born and I knew something was wrong. He did his best to save her." She choked on her sobs.

Gideon hugged her again. He had no idea of how much pain she had gone through. "I thought you got better and decided to leave me. I tried to find you, Gwyneth. But all these years, no one ever did."

"I was so devastated to come back. I buried Sophia on my own and left my father a letter. Your mother learned of my loss and paid me to go away. I took it so I could start all over." She wiped her tears and looked at Dathan again. "Then you saved me."

Dathan gave her a respectful smile. "Coincidentally, we were at the same place at the same time."

"And I am thankful that you took care of me. Or I would have never seen my love once more."

"Is it true? That you two were married?" Em asked.

"Yes. We married in secret. The count did not approve of our relationship because I was a poor gentry." Marie replied. "Then I found myself with child. I did not know it first and I could not confide in any one. The countess saw my symptoms and made believe I was sick."

"So she introduced you to her lover. The doctor."

"Yes. He offered a shelter for me to stay until I could deliver the babe." She squeezed Gideon's hand. "I was never sick. I was weakened because another life was growing inside of me and I did not understand it."

"I am sorry that I was too blind to notice. But I promise, I will never let you out of my sight."

"Would you testify against the countess and the doctor?" Vincent asked. "Or would you flee again?"

Marie raised her chin and answered, "I am not afraid of her anymore."

Vincent nodded and turned to Gideon. "I believe I can arrange for a scribner to come for her. We can do it tomorrow if you like."

"I would appreciate that, my lord."

"You should rest." Lucille said and offered Marie a room. "Come, I will be with you."

"Thank you, my lady..."

"Allow me to help." Lydia said. "I believe I have witnessed far too much today. I would like to be excused."

Damian nodded and simply remained seated.

They watched the women leave and prepared to bombard Gideon with more questions.

"Do you know what this means?" Dathan asked.

He nodded, "My mother will be shunned and my father, bless his soul, will probably blame himself for how she turned out."

"It is not your father's fault that your mother is not a faithful wife." Vincent said. "He is far too in love with her. I believe he would forgive her in a heartbeat, should she ask for forgiveness."

"Right now, they may be questioning her about Doctor Kemps. Whom we found, by the way, and once they try her involvement for the abortions and illegal adoptions, she may go to prison." Alexi said. "Kemps may not talk against her, even  under torture but I know your law will find a way."

Gideon closed his eyes. "I cannot believe my mother was such a person. But I am aware of the consequences. I cannot deny justice even if it means surrendering my own family for the cause."

"She duped us all." Vincent said. "I do not mean to rub salt against the wound but, unfortunately, I found a bitter reason why they were together." He stood up and poured himself a drink and another for Gideon. "You will not like this."

"If it will make me understand why she did it, I will have to swallow this."

"Fine." He looked around. "I believe this is between me and the knight. The lot of you can go."
***

Once outside the ballroom, Alexi asked of they could share a drink, too. Damian offered his office and off they all went. Including Em.

"Would the lady want to change?" Damian asked. "I promise we will let in on our conversation but you do not appear to be comfortable."

Em agreed. The wedding gown was rubbing on her skin and the day has turned warm. "Thank you, for your concern. I shall get out of these clothes and join you shortly."

Dathan waved at her and followed the men to the second landing.

Once inside, Alexi gathered the glasses and let Damian decide what to drink.

"Bourbon?"

His brother and the prince nodded.  After they all held a glass, Alexi said. "To our success!"

Damian's face turned sour, "I had nothing to do with that."

"Oh, well. What should we toast for?"

"Just drink your bourbon, Alexi." Dathan replied. "No need for a toast on that."

The prince shrugged and downed his glass. He made a satisfied sound and leaned back. "It is finally over."

"You sound so accomplished." Damian said. "Was this because you succeeded in bringing down the count?"

"That and about other things." Alexi replied. "I have been investigating them for sometime and I confess, I was not prepared for what I uncovered." He took another shot. "Who would have thought that the countess herself would be involve in child trafficking? Let alone abortions."

"My theory was, Doctor Kemps was really not an abortionist." Dathan said. "He was the kind of doctor that the unmarried, pregnant women needed when they had nowhere to turn to."

"Father did mention that not all children were delivered in good health. Some died and some were simply too weak to live. And when these women refused to keep the child, the doctor found them another home." Damian added. "He had a good cause but used illegal methods."

They agreed in silence.

"How did you get past their men? We saw them at the gates." Damian asked.

"Oh, it was pretty simple, really. I bribed them."

"You bribed them?" He asked Alexi. "With what?"

"Gold."

"And they took it? Just like that?"

"Yes, your grace. Those men are very poor farmers who had families waiting them. They were not only happy to accept the gold but I also offered them referrals for new families to work for. My aunt would be needing a few of them."

Damian stared at the prince. What an odd man.

"We are in your debt."

"Don't!" He held up a finger. "Don't say that. I hate it when people say that to me."

"But you've done so much for us. We could at least pay you back for the bribes."

"Don't bother." Dathan said. "We can't afford it."

"You underestimate me, brother. I am the duke now, remember? Just tell me, how much did you spend?"

"Of course I am aware, brother. But instead of paying the prince, should you not pay attention to your wife's situation first?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I have them investigated. It appears that Lydia's father has tons of debts and her mother has spent their last penny on their only daughter's wardrobe. If you do not address them now, they will bleed you dry."

Damian's brows met. "You pried into my wife's life?"

"Guilty." He raised a glass to him. "I had to."

"What do you mean? Why would you stick your head into my marriage?"

Dathan looked at Alexi and he understood. "Em is taking so long. I shall fetch her."

The door closed and they were alone. Dathan decided to be honest with his brother. "On the night before your wedding, mother told she blamed herself that you got hitched."

"Is that so? And why would she not tell me any of this?"

"Because, she hoped that would warm up to your wife later on." He poured another glass. "But as we all know, you two are still cold to each other. And to satisfy my curiosity, I had someone look into Lydia's family."

Damian sighed, "You could have just asked me. It was a mere marriage of convenience. Both Lydia and I were caught in a situation that could have ruined us both. No feelings or whatsoever."

"You could've chosen the ruin. They obviously planned it to trap you."

"You are a bloody idiot."

"I have heard that Lydia hated the idea of marriage. She had eluded many bachelors and almost succeeded—until she met you." He shrugged and continued. "The scandal would've removed her from anyone's list of marriage. And she could've had her freedom. Have you thought of that?"

"Dare not lecture me, Dathan. I am aware what it would cost me had I chose to revel at the scandal. But as a gentleman, I refuse to run away from my responsibility. Besides, what sort of freedom would she have if her family had no money?"

"Well..."

Damian scoffed, "As I said, you are an idiot. She was raised a lady and you cannot expect her to simply accept to live in poverty. I did her a favor and I have secured our legacy. I suggest you stop prying on their lives. I do have plans for my in-laws."

"Except that the legacy you talk about is not as secure as you might think." Dathan snapped.

"Dare not finish that sentence."

"Oh, but I love a good dare." He leaned closer. "She is still a virgin, is she not?"

Damian threw his glass and grabbed his brother's collar before landing a blow on his face.

"That is none of your business."

Dathan fell down the floor. The attack was unexpected. He must've taunted him too far.

"Instead of getting in my way, shouldn't you be thinking of a plan?"

Dathan shook his head. The room was spinning. "Plan for what?"

"For what happens next, of course. Soon, the ton will know that the wedding was sabotaged. What would happen to Em, then? Have you thought what to do with her?"

The lights were definitely spinning. Dathan braced an arm so he could sit up but he was in an odd angle and fell down face first. Just then the doors opened and Alexi came in with Em.

"What is the matter with him?"

Em knelt down and placed Dathan's head on her lap. "He's unconscious."

"Must've been the bourbon. The idiot drank the entire bottle." Damian replied.

Alexi shook his head. "He'll be out for sometime."

Em touched his face. There was a slight redness on his cheek. "Damian, did you punch your brother?"

"No."

She looked up. "Then why was he on the floor?"

He sighed, "Fine. I hit him once. Once! He was annoying me."

Em exhaled dramatically, "Perhaps this is for the best. I wouldn't know how to face him anyways." Then she look at Alexi, "Can you help me pull him up? There's a couch right there."

The prince was happy to obliged. Once Dathan was positioned in a bunch of pillows, Em sat down and accepted the wine they gave her.

"I thank you for accommodating us, Damian." She said. "But I'm afraid we can't stay long."

"What? Why?"

"I am leaving Kelmsleigh. Alexi has offered me  to visit Habsburg and I said yes."

Damian sent him daggers with his eyes. "You what?!"

"Emelia will be center of gossip once news broke about the countess and her failed wedding. It will take some time to mend things and she need not be here for that. Now is the best time to disappear." Alexi retorted back. "I am not doing this because of malicious intent."

"That last bit was unnecessary, Alexi." Em said. "But thank you for the offer. I am most thankful."

"But Emelia, must you go that far away? You could simply go back to Hinley. You do not even have to come back to the city." Damian asked. "Ana and Sam would love to have you back."

"I am certain they would but they do not dictate if I am welcomed of not. Your wife will not like me working there."

"Then how about—"

"—I made up my mind. Your mother has given me her blessing to go on my own."

Damian clenched his jaw. "What about my brother?"

"He will not like my decision either."

He scoffed, "He will be mad."

Em pursed her lips. "I know. But, it is not the right time for us." She stole a glance at Dathan's sleeping form. "We need time to assess everything."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

268 27 14
She siped on her tea with elegance yet she was feared. She dressed up like a pretty doll yet her sword swinged like lightening. Her eyes mesmerized...
135K 8.6K 39
She did not want to match with one of his kind; he did not want to match at all. Lillian Adams was set to inherit her father's dukedom- once she had...
162K 4.6K 22
Seven years ago, Tristan Knight walked away from the love of his life, Serenity Harris, without a word or a backwards glance. No goodbye. No Dear Joh...
4.4K 716 39
**THE PRINCESS SERIES is part of the GOLDEN UNIVERSE, and considered a sequel to THE GOLDEN QUEEN/A BRAZEN LOVE** ♦YOU MUST HAVE READ THE GOLDEN UNIV...