We Were Meant to Be

By anya_jayvyn

An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I... More

warnings & author's note
character aesthetics
playlist
01 | arriving
02 | destined
03 | gone
04 | broken man
05 | new beginning
06 | first night
07 | psycho
08 | the boss
09 | the offer
11 | stay
12 | close to you
13 | good morning
14 | butterflies
15 | boys
16 | teach me
17 | the lost treasure
18 | beneath the surface
19 | unusual
20 | encounter
21 | her
22 | warm
23 | awakened
24 | forbidden
25 | frozen heart
26 | sick
27 | cruel betrayal
28 | numb
29 | burning
30 | heaven
31 | with you
32 | longing
33 | daddy
34 | friends
35 | jealousy
36 | reality
37 | realization
38 | bodyguard
39 | clash
40 | don't go
41 | sorry
42 | gift
43 | paint
44 | brother
45 | lips
46 | party
47 | possessive
48 | dance
49 | found
50 | if only
51 | in my arms
52 | couples
53 | hidden
54 | feelings
55 | all of me
56 | in your eyes
57 | secret
58 | hopeless
59 | celebration
60 | hidden section
61 | mystery guy
62 | one wish
63 | a night to remember
64 | hold me
65 | surprise
66 | chaotic
67 | embrace
68 | bliss
69 | a beginning for another
70 | sweet heaven
71 | not so safe word
72 | catching up
73 | careful
74 | checkmate
75 | heart in disguise
76 | deserted
77 | in the mirror
78 | good girl
79 | special guests
80 | one step further
81 | the meeting
82 | half of my soul
83 | confession
84 | her promise
85 | the day
86 | face to face
87 | something to witness
88 | the missing piece
89 | the truth
90 | crumbling
91 | falling apart
92 | waiting
93 | farewell
94 | heartbreak
95 | broken girl
96 | closure
97 | finding you
98 | fight for us
99 | unexpected
100 | paintings of you
101 | newcomer
102 | torn
103 | till death do us part
104 | the man who loves me
105 | his promise
106 | the taste of happiness

10 | new place

94K 4.8K 861
By anya_jayvyn

"Wait." I pant, rushing to catch up with Aiden.

He strides in the hallway, heading to the elevator.

"Did you really fire him?" I ask breathlessly. "Don't you want to reconsider another option? Like, maybe a suspension, or a warning?"

Even though I don't want to question his decision, I just can't help but blurt out these questions.

"He's in charge for the residents' safety, and he clearly failed," Aiden says without stopping his steps, clenching his fist on his side. "Tonight's shift is under his surveillance, and he's bloody stupid for not recognizing that one of his subordinates has gone mental. Your attacker wasn't supposed to conduct a patrol on this floor tonight."

I swallow. Thinking about that psychopath again makes me shudder.
I follow Aiden when he steps into the elevator.

He presses the button for the top floor, and we wait in silence during the ride before Aiden breaks it, "No one has access to my floor except me and my people. The cards owned by apartment employees and security guards will be denied," he explains, assuring me that no one will ever barge in again like what happened tonight.

Nevertheless, my heart is still beating fast. I still don't know what I'm going to do.

The thought of coming back home to Texas, safe and sound with Mom and Dad, pops up in my head. But I can't just give up like that, can I?

The elevator stops as we reach the highest level of the building. When we step out, two men in black suits are guarding the elevator. I just throw them a glance and follow Aiden.

"My bodyguards always stand by on this floor," he says. "They won't allow other people to come here except for my family and personal assistants."

The hallway looks different than the one for the residents downstairs. This corridor is darker but also looks more extravagant and classy. It definitely belongs to the owner himself, Aiden Klein.

We come to an intersection, and Aiden leads me to take the left path. I glance back at the opposite path and spot a huge double door. It probably leads to his penthouse, guarded by two other bodyguards.

Aiden stops as we reach another double door that's smaller than the one from the other end of the hallway.

"We have an empty suite on this floor, and this will be your new place if you want to move here. I will assign my other bodyguard to guard the door for you." He turns to me, and when he notices my worry, he sighs. "You don't have to worry. All of them are my people, who have gained my trust and my father's."

Aiden opens the door, and the sight of the suite makes me gasp. There, in front of me, is an extravagant suite much larger than my apartment downstairs.

My eyes travel around the spacious living room with a fireplace,  floor-to-ceiling windows, a stunning balcony, and a grand dining room. There are two bedrooms and one study room. This place is definitely too large for someone to live alone.

I snap my head toward Aiden and stare at him in horror. "I can't." I shake my head panicky. "I can't live here. This place is too big."

The last place I want to stay in after the incident tonight is one that can make me feel even more lonely. Although Aiden said that this place is more secure, I don't think that this is a good idea.

Aiden stares at me with guilt and sighs. "I understand. But you don't want to spend the rest of the night in your previous room, do you? Here, you don't have to worry about your safety anymore. I can guarantee that the security system on this floor is impossible to break. No employees downstairs have been here."

My hand starts to get sweaty. I haven't even recovered from the traumatic event that happened a while ago, and the only thing I need right now is not to be alone. However, I know that it's impossible because my family and friends are a thousand miles away. 

Aiden studies me. "What do you think?"

He looks doubtful because of how restless I am, but I don't think that there's another option. Aiden is already generous enough to offer me this.

I've decided to live alone in this city and be independent, so it's about time for me to quit being spoiled and weak, isn't it?

Reluctantly, I nod, accepting the offer. Aiden's eyes soften, and I can see relief in them.

In the hallway, a tall muscular guy in a black suit strides toward us. When he arrives, Aiden introduces him to me, "This is Carter. He will guard your door at all times. I know that this is extremely hard for you, and again, I'm sorry for what happened. You don't have to make your decision now, and I will respect it whatever it is, even if you decide to leave this building and revoke the purchase."

We both know that it's the last option we would want to consider. But as he said, I don't have to decide now. He's right. I need time to think about this.

His eyes hold concern. "Right now, it's important that you take enough rest. You need it, Nevaeh."

Quietly, I nod again. I doubt that I can rest properly after this, but I need to try.

"I'll see you again in the morning," Aiden says. "Is that okay?"

"Okay," I say.

Aiden nods and leave, closing the door behind him and leaving me staring blankly at it.

30 minutes.

30 minutes have passed since Aiden left this suite, but I still can't close my eyes to sleep.

I stare at the high ceiling above me while my heart is beating fast. I turn on my side, trying to close my eyes again. It's not working.

I turn around to face the other side, and this time, I squeeze my eyes shut in an attempt to sleep. Still, it's not working.

I lay on my back and let out a desperate sigh. My chest is heaving up and down. I really can't sleep. This is ridiculous.

But after what happened, it's impossible for me to sleep. Right now, in my mind, the idea of me sleeping will only endanger me.

If I'd slept in my room earlier tonight, I wouldn't have heard the sound of my attacker breaking in and he would have straddled me on my bed. I was lucky that I hadn't been asleep.

The hair on the back of my neck stands as I think about that. I curse silently. Bad idea, Nevaeh. Why do you have to think about that again?

My heart almost drops as I hear something crack from the window. It turns out that the rain that has started a while ago is now pouring hard, slapping against the glass.

Great. There's a storm outside, adding more to the terrifying atmosphere I've been struggling to get rid of. I really feel like I'm in a thriller movie now.

My gaze darts on my phone, which is lying on the nightstand. It's very tempting to call Mom and Dad, to cry and tell them everything. But I'm not ready for the consequences. That impulsive decision will only make them panic and destroy my goal.

Come on, Nevaeh. Don't be paranoid. You're safe now.

I pull the bed cover closer to my chest, but just when I'm about to close my eyes again, lightning strikes. The sound of thunder booms, making me scream.

Jesus Christ.

I push myself against the headboard, sitting up. My pulse quickens, and I'm breathing heavily, clutching the bed cover with my shaking hand.

Oh, God, why are you doing this to me? Can't the storm wait?

Cold air blows through me, sending chills through my body. A horrible feeling stirs inside me. I snap my head toward the bedroom door, which I've locked securely.

"Who's there?" I stutter, feeling like dying.

I know that this might be just my imagination, but it's like I can feel someone else's presence in this place.

Someone is here. I must have missed the sound because of the thunder just now.

But then, I shake my head in denial.

That's nonsense, Nevaeh. It's because you're traumatized. No one is here.

Oh, God, maybe I'm really becoming crazy. I'm going mental.

Still shaking, I slip out of the bed cover and tiptoe toward the door. Before I reach the handle, I take a deep breath.

If I don't die because of a psychopath, I'll most certainly die because of a heart attack.

First, I need to make sure that this is all my hallucination. But then, if I open this door, I can't even brace myself to look around.

What if there's really a lunatic waiting to grab me?

There's a guard outside, but can he hear me if I scream? I mean, I'm sure that the room is soundproof.

Slowly, I turn the doorknob. My heart is thumping so loudly inside my chest that I can almost hear it myself. The door creaks as I open it, and the next thing I know is that I'm sprinting.

Yes, I'm sprinting toward the front door, passing the living room like a flash of light. My breathing is short and fast.

The moment I push the door open, I run past Carter, the bodyguard.

"Ms. Spencer!" he calls, following suit.

I don't stop running. I run across the corridor as fast as I can, with my bare feet thumping against the carpet. I'm running for my life.

Why the hell didn't I talk to Carter first? Why the hell am I running away from him?

I don't know, but after the incident with the security guard tonight, I can't trust another one.

There's only one person that I know wouldn't harm me, and he's Aiden Klein.

He's Max's future brother-in-law.

He's Luna's brother.

I believe that he's a good person. I know damn well that he is. My heart always knows that he's a good person.

He can't possibly harm me, or hurt me.

The closer I get to the double door to his penthouse, the more my heart feels like it's about to explode. I'm having a panic attack, and there's only one person I can turn to.

"Ms. Spencer!" Carter's voice echoes in my ears as he tries to stop me, but I don't give a damn.

I bang on Aiden's door with my fist, with all the remaining power I have in my body. Tears spring to my eyes, and I'm trying so hard to not collapse.

I feel like I'm experiencing it all over again -- struggling to get away from my attacker's grasp -- although I'm not sure that Carter is dangerous.

To my surprise, the door opens shortly after, and Aiden's worried face comes into view. He's changed into casual attire, now wearing a black t-shirt and jogger. His hair is still a bit wet from the shower.

Sudden relief washes over me, and before I know it, my legs give up on me. Aiden catches me before I fall, and the next thing I feel is a pair of strong arms wrapping around me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 68.4K 63
He pinned me to the wall and brought himself impossibly close to me. I was trapped, quite literally. He grabbed my ass and I gasped at the sudden gus...
8.3K 471 34
"I won't let him look at you, touch you, feel you. Because you're mine and I don't like others touching and stealing what's mine," he whispered in my...
39K 1.5K 62
"How ...cc...cca....ccan you !! I..I don't believe these bullshits. Parth ...Parth!!!,I know this this is....this is just a joke, but it's not funny...
62.5M 2.5K 6
Brielle Newman A 21-year-old girl who was struggling to make life comfortable for herself and her niece, Delilah. Her sister left the baby the minute...