When We Ached - Book Three

By authorhanawalker

❬ Book Three Of The Untold Truths Series. ❭ {18+} ❴ Can't be read as a standalone. ❵ Hazel parted ways with t... More

Copyright grounds © ✧
‖Author's Note‖
Character Aesthetics ♚♛
【Moodboard】ღ
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six

Twenty-Eight

2.2K 80 96
By authorhanawalker

I'd picked up Caleb and his girlfriend from the airport and drove them to a hotel. They needed to keep a low profile before showing up at Hazel's birthday party.

Which Vince and Reem helped me a lot with. Initially, I wanted to take her on a cruise party, watch the sunset with our friends, talk about random shit, and have a few beers. Then I'd let her dance her ass off all night long, as I watched her from afar getting lost in the music. And then when she finally got drunk and exhausted, I thought we'd maybe do some stargazing since Hazel always had a thing for stars and everything that twinkled with a certain glimmer.

Just like her soul, it glimmered.

She had light in her- a dazzling, undying light.

And I never wanted her to lose it.

But my whole plan went down the drain since we were heading towards the end of November and it was fucking freezing around here. The last thing I wanted was giving Hazel a bunch of frozen corpses as a birthday present.

So Reem went for the next best thing, a restaurant reservation and a cocktail lounge. Meanwhile the second destination of her birthday celebration would be a little secretive. And a lot more private.

It will be just us for the weekend. Loneliness, champagne, a fireplace and other stuff that she liked.

And I couldn't fucking wait.

Reem took a bite of her millefeuille and scribbled something on a notebook. That was probably the fifth one she'd had in the last two hours. "God, this is so good. I'm gonna need more of these, Rivers. Just saying, in case you wanted me to help you a bit more."

I let out a throaty laugh. "Sure, why not. I'm gonna order more."

"I knew my best friend loved you for a reason," she smirked and tapped her pen on the paper. "Anyway, I'm done with the list of invitees, and just so you know Jacob and Xander are coming."

Of fucking course.

"Xander is her co-worker and well, she's still in touch with Jacob," she shrugged.

"Please, tell me he's dating someone."

She rolled her eyes at me. "Boys will be boys. He's moved on, I suggest you do too."

"How'd you know?" I asked.

"Because if he wanted to make a move, he'd have done it somewhere down the line in the last three years. The guy's in a better place now and let's face it, he's Hazel's best friend. He was there for her when she needed him."

"Fine. Invite him."

She flashed me a proud smile. "Will do." God, her pregnancy is killing me.

"Also, I called Connor and Deena and they apologized. They won't be able to make it, work and studies. But they promised to face-time her. They will finally come in Christmas holidays though."

"Yeah, I know. Connor mentioned something about that. He seemed kinda homesick, rainy London is apparently a pain in the ass," I laughed.

"I know, I missed them, you know." Her expression went from I can-kick-ass to I-need-some-tissues real quick. Fuck, not the mood swings again. "I missed the times when all of us used to hang out, drink the night away, and party. And now I can't even have a beer." Then the waterworks started.

There we go.

I pulled her into a side-hug and rubbed her arm. "It's okay, you'll be fine. It's just a matter of nine-" that sounded so much better in my head. I swallowed. "Months."

She sniffled and looked up at me. Her eyes shooting daggers. "Really? Are you trying to make me feel worse or what?"

"Never dealt with pregnant women, Reem." I cocked my head a little to the side. "And I mean, never so cut me some slack."

She swatted at me. "You'd better start taking lessons. Hazel's gotta get pregnant at some point."

But why does that sound so fucking great?

A low laugh escaped my mouth. "Still a long way to go."

"But- you want that right? I mean, a family of your own, kids, and a lifetime to spend together. The future."

I looked at her and shoved my hands in the pockets. "Trust me when I say this, Reem. There's no future for me without her. She's everything."

"Aww, why does this wanna make me cry again?"

I laughed.

"God, my emotions are on overdrive all the time. This is worse than period shit." Her eyes widened then narrowed a bit. "Oh, shit- I shouldn't have said shit- the baby can hear me-" then she enclosed her hands over her mouth. Something told me she was about I facepalm. Which she did, five seconds later. "Never mind, this is hopeless."

"Okay, period-talk, I'm out." I reached out for my jacket. "Please, don't bail on me, Jordenne. I suck at this shit-"

She shot me a pointed look and I corrected myself. Forcedly. "Stuff, I mean.The restaurant staff are sticking to the theme you wanted and the cake will be your choice too so please, give them a call."

She pointed her pen at me. "You got it."

"If you need anything, I'm only a call away. Alright? And no exhaustion needed, pregnancy and all. Vince's gonna come after my head."

"Don't worry, you! But wait, what are you going to do about the gift?"

"That's what I'm about to go get."

"Here's a tip: she loves books. Flowers are always a good go-to addition for girls and I'll let you figure out the main one yourself. You know, 'cause personal special shit and all that." Realization hit her. Then she sighed. "You know what? I'm not gonna even try."

I laughed. "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." I shrugged on my jacket and adjusted the collar.

"Good luck, Rivers!"

"Thanks, Jordenne. I mean it, thanks for helping me out with all of this. Couldn't do it without you."

She squealed. "You're welcome. Now go before I start crying for the hundredth time today."

"Gladly." I stifled a laugh.

Reem plopped down on my bed, the piece of vanilla-flavored cake she had been digging into was about to fall out and land straight on her face. Or my bedsheets.

"Whoops! That was close."

I chuckled. "Should I get you more?"

"Girl, you should stop me! I'm definitely gonna be a cow by the time I get this sweet tooth of a baby out of me." She shoved a forkful into her mouth and literally moaned. "God, this is almost as amazing an orgasm."

I laughed. "Don't stay in front of Vince, the poor guy has to compete with a piece of cake now."

"Well, he did this to me so he should know better."

I put on a pair of high-heeled boots, and then flipped my hair back. Smokey eyes, nude-beige lipstick, and eyebrows on fleek- not bad.

"Your ass looks great in that mini leather skirt. What a cocktease for Ethan."

"Well, Ethan won't be there to see it anytime soon. He texted me earlier saying sorry. Stuck in the office, urgent stuff. He said he will join us later," I sighed. "Which kind of sucks, you know. I mean- it's my birthday and he couldn't postpone whatever he was doing. I don't wanna sound like a selfish person but-" I sat down next to her, the bed dipping under my weight. "I just expected him to do better."

"Yeah, Vince told me they had some really important contracts to go through so they'll be late. I'm sorry, honey." She caressed my forearm. "Want some cake?"

I laughed. "And risk the possible regret and wrath of the mama bear? No thanks."

"Hey, I can't help the mood swings. I blame the baby."

"Sure." I stroked the barely-there bump in her belly. "The cutest baby ever." And then it hit me. "Wait, did you tell your parents yet?"

"Nope, I'm planning to tell them once Vincent and I visit at Christmas. You know, dad's strict and we're not getting married yet, so. I need Vincent with me when I tell them," she sighed.

I smiled at her. "Take your time. Now tell me, did you think of a name for the baby?"

"French names only, I had that established with Vincent at least."

"I like Celine for a girl," I shrugged.

"Noted, god-mummy. I'll add it to the list."

I chuckled. "This baby's gonna be so beautiful. Oh my God, imagine if Celine gets your beautiful ocean-blue eyes. Future Miss Elora."

She laughed and stroked my hand. "You still remember that? God, that high school competition was so lame. I don't know why I partook in it in the first place."

"Because you're beautiful and I said so."

"Right." Then her face fell a little. It was as if a sudden wave of uncalled-for sentiments suddenly settled in. "You think I can do it? You think I can be a good mum?"

I held her hands in mine. "You're gonna be the best mum."

Her smile faltered a bit but then she recovered it quickly. It was laced with hope and that was enough for now. We don't always have to be sure of things all the time. "I genuinely hope so."

"You know, unexpected things are often beautiful. When you don't make plans for something or think about it a hundred times before you do it, it just happens and somehow stunts you. You don't know why it did in the first place nor if you are fully okay with it but as time passes by, you begin to see the magic, the aftermath, and then you know why it happened. And often, the reason is to make us happy. Or at least I believe so."

Her mouth opened, stayed agape for a second, and then closed again. "Yeah, I guess you're right. But damn, why did you have to put it that way? I feel like crying."

I laughed. "Your emotions are going over the top, Reemie. You need some cake."

"Nope, we need to get the hell out of here. We have a reservation, remember?"

"Oh, yeah. I also need to go see mum and Kevin afterward. Wanna tag along?"

"Sure. But wait here first-" she sauntered away to the living room.

I furrowed my eyebrows and figured she went to bring me a gift. A smile tugged at my lips instantly. I waited and checked my phone, hoping I'd get a message from Ethan telling me he called off whatever business he had to do for me.

But nope- nothing, nada.

No messages from him.

I sighed and tossed it back to the bedsheets.

Then Reem came into sight again. "All I can think of lately is food- sweet food to be exact so there you go."

She handed me the brownish woody basket hamper. I untangled the ribbon and all I could see was treats, almond brittle chocolates in a jute bag, caramel-coated crispy treats, fresh gold Limonium, and Kamini stems.

"Gourmet treats, so yummy! Thanks, bestie." I kissed her cheek.

"Happiest birthday, Hazel. Thank you for always being there for me. You know, I don't have any siblings but with you, I never felt like I lacked a sister."

"Is that your revenge? Because I'm the one who's about to cry."

She pouted. "No crying tonight, just happy moments." Then she held my hand and whisked me away. "Let's go!"

★ ★ ★

Party coming later and other stuff!

We're at that point where the old characters will progressively make a comeback. 💫

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.8M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...