Roots and Oxygen

By SianaghGallagher

Prince Sage, the man next in line to be king, offers to nurture a dying house plant back to life. He soon rea... More

Chapter 1 - Rotting Roots
Chapter 2 - Inconvenient Deaths
Chapter 3 - Ghosts and Wives
Chapter 4 - Conspicuous Plant
Chapter 5 - Improper Trials
Chapter 6 - Buttons of Exoticism
Chapter 7 - Counterfeit Tears
Chapter 8 - Valuable Grievances
Chapter 9 - Catastrophic Stumble
Chapter 10 - Offensive Compliments
Chapter 11 - Confidence and Waistcoats
Chapter 12 - Firing the Outspoken
Chapter 13 - Exposing Consultations
Chapter 14 - Greenthenor Secrets
Chapter 15 - Perplexing Pothos
Chapter 16 - Intruder's Misfortune
Chapter 17 - Invasive Desires
Chapter 18 - Shielding Leaves
Chapter 19 - Embracing Change
Chapter 20 - Broken Boundaries
Chapter 21 - Green Confessions
Chapter 22 - Indented Vinea
Chapter 23 - Epipremnum Aureum
Chapter 24 - Verdurous Pothos Legends
Chapter 25 - Hierarchy Climbing Plant
Chapter 26 - Blooming Quirks
Chapter 27 - Bizarre Normality
Chapter 28 - Amity
Chapter 29 - Queen's Spectre
Chapter 30 - Deceptions and Espionage
Chapter 31 - Roots and Brutes
Chapter 32 - Three-Sided Penny
Chapter 33 - Tension
Chapter 34 - Worth the Risk
Chapter 35 - Individual Liberty
Chapter 36 - Green Fingers
Chapter 37 - Gold Over Gaiety
Chapter 38 - Caress the Curls
Chapter 39 - Together As One
Chapter 40 - Murphy's Law
Chapter 41 - Skeleton in the Closet
Chapter 42 - Poise, Grace, a Vengeful Face
Chapter 43 - Veiled Veracity
Chapter 44 - Precipitation
Chapter 45 - Anticipatory Anxiety
Chapter 46 - A Conscientious Companion
Chapter 47 - Discreet Encroachment
Chapter 49 - Telling Truths
Chapter 50 - Abscond
Chapter 51 - Blue-Sow Thistle Cottage
Chapter 52 - Amiable Local
Chapter 53 - Tranquil Touches
Chapter 54 - Divulge the Future King
Chapter 55 - Snow Serpents
Chapter 56 - Cognition
Chapter 57 - Rapid Torrent
Chapter 58 - Luculent Relations
Chapter 59 - Green
Chapter 60 - Insecure Confidence
Chapter 61 - Liars Lending Credence
Chapter 62 - Amende Honourable
Chapter 63 - Arduous Decisions
Chapter 64 - Coalition of Pride
Chapter 65 - Royal Probity
Chapter 66 - Augury
Chapter 67 - Whited Sepulchre
Chapter 68 - Dual Crown
Chapter 69 - Room of Truth
Chapter 70 - Semblance of Normality
Chapter 71 - Desolation
Chapter 72 - Candour Queen
Chapter 73 - Egotistic Prince
Chapter 74 - Duplicity
Chapter 75 - Reconciliation
Chapter 76 - Mend Fences
Chapter 77 - Genesis

Chapter 48 - Vigilant Kindred

5.9K 608 140
By SianaghGallagher

In the Palace Garden, the wind whipped at Sage's skin and numbed his face. The cold seeped around his fingers as he helped add extra soil to the base of the rose bushes.

"They're not lasting that long this year. We've had a few extra bugs in the soil," Mrs Beecham said with a worried frown.

Sage looked around. Taro stood in the distance, watching them. No doubt he was wishing he could be closer, but not wanting to cause too much suspicion. "Are these . . . plant people?" he whispered, feeling a cold shiver down his spine. The cold wasn't making him feel any better, though the fresh earthy air was clearing his head a little.

Mrs Beecham nodded, also scanning the area. Other gardeners shaped bushes into round blobs and the trees into triangles. Soon, they'd have lights dotted around them as the months rolled closer to Christmas.

"Keeping all the outdoor plants healthy has been hard this year, really hard, harder than usual." She dug her spade into the mud and left it protruding upwards. "Luckily for those like Taro, gardeners of the Palace are very dedicated to keeping a very healthy garden."

"Are you ordered to do that? Or is it just because you know they're part human . . . like Taro?"

"Once, long ago, those in charge of the Palace grounds ordered us to do it, but now it's a secret among only a few. Not all gardeners are from a line of family members who have worked here. We have new ones, people doing apprenticeships, people coming to help who want to learn from no previous experience. How can you tell someone with no gardening experience that most of these plants can turn into humans and if they don't do their job properly, the Palace will lose most of its guards?"

"That's a pretty heavy subject. Nobody would believe it." The sun cracked the clouds, burning a fierce pain behind his eyes.

"But you did, and I can feel a shift in the air because a royal knows and accepts them for who they truly are."

Sage patted the soil flat, smiling through his sickness. As a future ruler, he didn't want to create fear. He touched some of the drooping orange roses, hoping that they lasted a little longer in the cold weather.

"So, how have you been?" Mrs Beecham asked, sitting back on her knees, pulling off her muddy gardening gloves and sweeping ginger curls from her eyes.

"Okay," Sage said. Okay was an understatement. He was falling for his Valet, he was sneaking around and kissing another man in the rain, he was sleeping with his head on Taro's shoulder, he was slowly coming out of the closet, he was losing friends, hiding from the paparazzi, figuring out secrets, stressing about people breaking in and people hurting Taro. His life was a whirlwind of problems and chances. Sage could barely keep up.

But being out in the garden rooted him. Sage felt like his feet were always on the ground with wind in his hair and the earth under his fingernails. "Actually, I'm better than okay, but I've just got a lot on right now," he admitted, glancing at Taro who was flicking a beetle off his shoulder. "How are you?"

"I'm doing good," Mrs Beecham said, looking back and forth between Sage and Taro. "Are you two getting on well? I know Taro can be quite a rule breaker and you are quite the opposite. He's not driving you mad, is he?"

"Only every other day." They shared amused glances. "He's doing great, and it's doing me some good by being around a real person. Well, you know what I mean. Someone who tells me exactly what he thinks and doesn't treat me any differently because of my title. It's refreshing and I'm building strength from it."

"I'm glad. I was worried that I suggested someone who you'd end up firing in a month. Taro has surprised me, but I always knew he was a hard worker."

"Did you know his opinions of Royals before you suggested I hired him? He thought I would be a spoilt brat," Sage laughed. "He had little interest in doing his job properly. He didn't care if he did it well or not, he didn't care what I thought of him."

"For as long as I've known Taro, he's never cared what anyone thought of him, especially a Prince. To him you're just another person. This might surprise you Sage, but that's how a lot of people outside these walls view you."

Sage found comfort in that, followed by a searing deep cold jolt in the pit of his stomach. He was just another person with a title that meant nothing to most. Sagerian Greenthenor was either loved or hated, and the tabloids made sure the hatred for him outweighed any other emotion.

"His friendship shows a lot about your character," Mrs Beecham continued. "You're likeable and kind, Taro might've come to you with unjust opinions, but he likes to be proven wrong. I bet that he was pleasantly surprised by you."

Sage watched the sun brighten her green eyes and redden her curls. "That's really nice of you to say."

"I only speak the truth, Your Royal Highness." She dared to rest a hand on his shoulder. "You'll make a compassionate king one day."

The shiver down Sage's spine spread to his legs. The cold autumn weather had beaten him. "I should go inside now," he spoke quietly, trying not to chatter his teeth, or show that he was deeply touched by her words. "Thank you for letting me join you today."

"You're always welcome."

Sage left with a heart bursting with admiration. Others could see him in a depth far deeper than he would ever view himself, and those who got close to him that way never saw anything bad. Sage almost felt hopeful by the time they reached the top floor. He heard Taro following behind, with his shoes against the stairs and his breathing rising with each flight they climbed.

Sage abruptly stopped on the last step and Taro bumped into him. "Were you walking with your eyes closed?" he teased, turning to see the famous smirk.

"No, but I was looking at something that was quite distracting." Taro's glistening green eyes flicked the Prince up and down. Sage reddened in an instant. "Come on." Taro grinned. "I'll light the fire." He reached out and tugged on Sage's wrist.

Sage allowed Taro's warm fingers to wrap around his hand as they walked. His room was just down the corridor, but in the moment of fluster and flirting words, he had forgotten he wasn't the only one to occupy the top floor.

Oxley was storming down the corridor when they turned the corner, playfully holding each other's fingers. Sage's heart leapt from his chest at the sight of his younger brother. He snatched his hand back, but the motion attracted Oxley's gaze. His eyes had already seen what he tried to hide.

Taro swiftly stepped to the side and bowed weakly at Oxley who had stopped walking. "Sir," he mumbled, linking fidgeting hands behind his back.

Sage could only wrap arms around himself. He wanted to cry and desperately explain himself, or justify himself, or turn and run for the hills.

"Been gardening?" Oxley asked, as calm as ever.

Sage felt his heartbeat hot in his face. "Y-Yes," he stammered. "It's too cold now, though." Maybe he didn't see. Act normal. "What are you up to?"

"I'm going for a walk before my escape route gets covered up." Oxley crossed his arms. "I understand why you told dad about the hole in the wall. I just want you to know that I do come back drunk, but I'm always careful not to be followed."

"How can you be sure?" Sage glanced to Taro who pursed his lips and stared blankly ahead. He could tell his heart was also racing.

"I am friends with a few guards, you know," Oxley chuckled. "And it's basically impossible to sneak anywhere in this Palace without anyone knowing." His eyes moved between the Prince and his personal guard. "Enjoy your evening."

Oxley walked on, disappearing around the corner and down the stairs.

The men rushed to the bedroom and safely locked themselves inside. Sage collapsed onto the velvet couch by the door. He covered his face with his hands and exhaled a shaky breath. "That was . . . he totally saw us."

"What exactly did he see?" Taro asked, sitting next to him. "We were barely holding hands. That doesn't mean anything, right?"

"Royals have professional friendships with everyone who works here. I don't loosely hold hands with anyone. He'll know that." Sage tugged at his jacket, suddenly very warm. "I feel a bit sick."

"Even if he did see and think something of it, he chose not to say anything."

Sage tore off his jacket and pulled his jumper over his head. He wanted to stand miserably under a cold shower and scold himself for being so careless. He stormed into the bathroom and did just that, which didn't help.

Sage left the shower numb in both body and mind. After changing by himself and staring judgingly in the bathroom mirror for far too long, his stress turned into something he had not expected. Excitement laced his veins. Getting caught, or almost getting caught meant that he was a huge leap closer to the life he had always wanted.

But Sage didn't want to come out that way. He wanted to come out in his own time and on his own terms. He wanted to be in control of something, just for once in his life. He had to be cautious, and that thought fuelled his spark.

He sighed in defeat, accepting how he enjoyed the thrill. Be careful about this, he reminded himself, and entered a nice warm bedroom, lit by the crackling fire opposite his bed. Taro sat on Sage's swivel chair with linked fingers and a serious frown. "Are you okay?" he asked.

Sage nodded. "I'm not sure I have a reason to worry if Oxley saw something." Sage approached Taro and leant against the dark wood of his desk. "He's my little brother, he wouldn't say anything that would hurt me and hurt the future of the crown."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 8 13
A story where the princess, Sage Heart realizes She has magical powers and has to go to alfea for help. With her powers, and the princess thing some...
2.8K 245 25
Eric. Crown prince of the Thals and a rigid follower of duties, striving to be the perfect prince his family and subjects expect him to be--a prince...
106K 8.1K 33
Sage is what her mother calls a dreamer: she believes in magic, true love, and happy endings. Unfortunately for Sage, her mother is determined to c...
55.2K 1.3K 24
We grew up in the same place. At the same time. Yet, we are complete opposites. He is Xavier Black, the Prince of Zander. ~Handsome, Strong, Confi...