His Innocent Rose (Hinley Man...

By RaeySam

-Damian Davensport- He was the next Duke of Hinley and all of his Father's responsibilities fell into his sho... More

Chapter One: The Master is Home
Chapter Two: Engaged and Enraged
Chapter Three: An accident
Chapter Four: Old stirrings
Chapter Five: Hesitation for decisions
Chapter Six: The Chase
Chapter Seven: Cornered
Chapter Eight: A motherly offer
Chapter Nine: Morning ride after
Chapter Ten: Unwanted confession
Chapter Eleven: A lady's plan
Chapter Twelve: Lordly Encounters
Chapter Thirteen: Suprise guest
Chapter Fourteen: Ripped feelings
Chapter Fifteen: One desirable meeting
Chapter Sixteen: Steps taken and another to take
Chapter Seventeen: Family dinner
Chapter Eighteen: Unguarded impulse
Chapter Nineteen: Plan gone wrong
Chapter Twenty: Abducted
Chapter Twenty-One: That white dress
Chapter Twenty-Two: Men talk
Chapter Twenty-Three: Unveiling
Chapter Twenty-Four: A Tryst
Chapter Twenty-Five: Afternoon tea
Chapter Twenty-Six: His Majesty
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Handful
Chapter Twenty-eight: It's a must
Chapter twenty-nine: Day before the wedding
Chapter Thirty: Night before the wedding
Chapter Thirty-one: Tying the knot
Chapter Thirty-two: Mine
Chapter Thirty-three: Who are you?
Chapter 34: The departure
Chapter 35: Hand me downs
Chapter 36: One rainy afternoon
Chapter 37: Dew drops
Chapter 38: Fire
Chapter 39: Royal ride
Chapter 40: Seductress
Chapter 41: The City
Chapter 42: Dinner party
Chapter 43: Escort
Chapter 44: Noble guests
Chapter 45: Corsets
Chapter 46: Blush
Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms
Chapter 48: Confused for love
Chapter 49: The first suitor
Chapter 50: Princely intervention
Chapter 51: Presumed scandal
Chapter 52: Curiosity
Chapter 53: Seemingly challenge
Chapter 54: Knight's bell tower
Chapter 55: Surrender
Chapter 56: Scheme
Chapter 57: On bended knee
Chapter 58: Engaged and Enraged...again
Chapter 59: Knight over flowers
Chapter 60: The helpful prince
Chapter 61: Search and you shall find
Chapter 62: What is the truth?
Chapter 64: The final piece
Chapter 65: Under siege
Chapter 66: Unveiling, once more
Chapter 67: Habsurg
Chapter 68: Rheinhold
Chapter 69: Bloodline
70: Love and Protection
Author's note

Chapter 63: Barfield

52 2 0
By RaeySam

"You will find no answers here, just choices."

-Brent Weeks
⚜️

The towers welcomed Em warmly this time. The servants and even the Countess herself smiled upon her arrival.

"Emelia, child. Right on time. Come." Margeary linked their arms and walked towards the garden.

Gideon and his father were already seated. When they noticed their arrival, both men stood up and bowed.

"Welcome to the towers, Emelia. Come, sit with me." Said the count and pulled out a chair for her.

"Thank you, your grace."

Soon, tea and biscuits were served. Looking at the Hanselworth's, Em's heart was trying not to skip a beat. They all look so happy and content. As if they never had nasty secrets.

"Are you alright, Em? You barely touched your tea." Gideon asked.

"I am fine. Perhaps, a little tired from all the preparations." She tried to smile at him.

"Emelia..I believe it is time." Said the countess.

She stood and pushed her chair back. Together, she and Margeary went inside and so she could change into her dresses. Summoning up her courage, she smiled sweetly at the countess and prayed that she could survive the afternoon.
***

After about almost an hour, Em was relieved of her duties. The count and his son decided on which dress would better suit her for the wedding. While she changed back into her clothes, a familiar voice rang inside the room.

"You, maids, go downstairs and clear the tables."

The three maidservants stopped whatever they were doing and bowed at Em before exiting the room. She was left to struggle and wiggle herself on the last three buttons. Just when she was about to give up, she felt a none so gentle tug behind her.

"I warned you, several times. Why are you still engaged?" Mrs. Garth whispered while her hands expertly button Em's dress. "The preparations are all but complete. You only have but two days before the wedding."

"I know!" She snapped at the woman. "But what did you expect me to do? They are a powerful family and I am naught but a dowager's companion."

"Did you not find anything at all?" Mrs. Garth asked and turned her around. "I went through lengths to get you that name."

"A last name...you gave me a last name!" She pointed out. "How was I supposed to find that person?"

"The duke is your friend, I've been told. And that foreign prince as well. And the dowager has many connections. Use them all if you wish to stop this wedding." Mrs. Garth half yelled at her. "Or are you stalling? Because you think you shall never have a chance as grand as this?"

"The duke has turned me down and the prince is not obliged to help me." There was no way she would reveal everything to this woman, no matter what her reasons were for helping her. "And my mistress had to give me away to save her family's reputation. I am trying my best to break this engagement. Believe me, it is not as easy at it seems."

The old woman scoffed, "Yet here you are. Clad in all finery. Sharing their tea, smiling at their table as you if you are now one of them."

"Mrs. Garth, if you truly wish for a redemption then stop your tattle tale." She groaned inward. "Are you here to lend me a hand or torture me?"

"I will not be found helping you or it will be the end of me. Can you imagine what this family could do to me, should they find me betraying them? No." She shook her head. "If they are to go down, no one can know I had a hand in it."

Em exhaled, "You wish to save yourself then. So why bother to sermon me? Why not leave and work for another family?"

"I have reasons of my own. Reasons you have no right of knowing."

"Fine. Then we are done here." She turned to leave but the old woman grabbed her arm.

"Saturday at three. That is when your wedding will commence." She dug into her pocket and pulled out a small pouch. "There is a ship leaving that same morning, board that and leave."

"Why would I do that? And why should I heed your warning?"

"Because there is no other way to break the engagement. They will have you wed! Its the only way they can stop all the gossips surrounding them. I know you heard what the people has to say about them. So you need not be stupid to even find out if its worth the chance. The countess will make sure you will regret it."

Em felt the woman's hands shake as she held unto her. She reached out and patted it. "If this is your money, take it back. I have no need of it. But I shall consider the information about the ship."

"You-"

There a knock on the door. "Emelia? Its Gideon. My carriage is outside, I'll drive you home."

"I shall meet you downstairs." She called out.

"Alright. I shall wait." He replied and walked away.

"Perhaps you should consider boarding the ship, Mrs. Garth. If they scare you so much, maybe you should save yourself now. Before its too late."

"You have no idea what horrors I have been through, while serving this family." She closed her eyes and tried not to shake. "For years I endured a lot. They are evil, a whole lot of them. Mostly her." Mrs. Garth's entire body was shivering from fear, which means, she was telling the truth: Em needed to get away from the Hanselworth's.

She touched the old woman's shoulders and tried to calm her down, "I believe you, Mrs. Garth. And I appreciate you helping me. I have a plan but I would need some time to make it happen."

"Time is not what you have."

"I know." She murmured. "I know."
***

On the way back, Gideon said a few words before they decided to sit in silence. The sound of the wheels against the road and the horses' steps droned out. It would seem that both of them were in deep thoughts.

It wasn't until Fairclough was on sight when he broke the silence, "Emelia? There is something I wish to tell. Before we..." he paused and looked down, "before we wed."

Her heart skipped a beat. Was he going to confess? Will he tell her about Sophia?

"W-what is it?" She asked.

"It is something I have done when I was quite young. A reckless mistake, I would call it." He sighed. "But I do not wish to upset you."

"Would you rather wait? No. Do not answer that." It was her turn to exhale. "I cannot promise not to be upset but if you can be honest with me now, I would truly appreciate it."

He smiled sadly, "Then I better start...you see I....I was previously a rake. A rather terrible one, if you asked my peers. I was newly appointed a knight and women were literally falling in line for me." His eyes looked at her eyes then veered away. "I did not chase the skirts but rather the skirts chased me. And I did not turn down a single one. There had been noble ladies, daughters of the rich businessmen and even very pretty commoners. I took them all in, whenever and wherever I could. They never complained."

Em clutched her skirts. His story was disgusting. He was literally telling her that he had whored himself to women.

"Was it worth it?" She asked.

"What?"

"I assumed you did it because it gave you the thrill. Perhaps control as well. They were chasing you after all. So, was it worth it?"

Gideon appeared uncomfortable in his seat. "You are reacting in an unexpected way, Em. But, no. It was not worth the trouble—"

"—trouble?" She scoffed. "You had trysts with these women, god knows how many. And you call it trouble? No." She shook her head. "I'd say it was more of a challenge. You wanted to see just how far you could go. Were you not exhilarated whenever you did the deed? Of knowing that you may get caught?"

"What are you talking about?! I'm the one who's trying to come clean here. Why must you sound so difficult? This is hard for me, too. Do you think I wish to recall those things? Of course not." He leaned forward so he could stare into her eyes. "Hear me out, then you can decide if you must be mad still."

She scoffed, "By telling me how eventful your youth have been?"

"Em, look. I understand that you are angry. And you have every right to be. But I did those things a long time ago. I have changed. I do not even have a mistress or a lover anymore."

"And I am supposed to believe you? Gideon, I barely even knew you and yet, I am engaged to you. In a few days' time I will be wed to you."

"I know, I know. Things are moving rather fast. But, I do not want to keep secrets from you before we tie the knot." He took her hands and squeezed, "I have long made peace with my past. Those women also regretted what we have done and they all moved on with their lives. There are no grudges in my heart."

"Perhaps for you." She pulled her hands away. "How many women were there?"

"W-why do you ask? That is not important, Em. I told you, they have paid the price for their sins, as did I."

Anger boiled inside of her. She wanted to thrash him and make him confess for what he did to the Barfield lady and her dead baby. But she cannot risk him knowing that she knew about it.

Em took a deep breath. They were almost at the gate now. She needed to divert this conversation.

"I am mad. Truly mad and disappointed, Gideon."

"I know. And you should be." He looked outside the window and noticed they were slowing down. "That is why I wanted you to hear this story from me and not from other people. But I doubt if no one warned you about me. Rumors and gossip are things one cannot undo."

The carriage finally stopped and he proceeded to open the doors for them. He reached out and helped her disembark.

"I appreciate the courage and honesty but that is all I can give you now."

Gideon bowed and kissed the back of her hand, "That is enough for me. I hope this does not discourage you and make you not want to marry me."

Em lifted her skirts and began walking, he followed. "We have the same reason why we have to marry. Because of that gossip, our reputation is at stake. Besides, what my feelings may say at this very moment, does not count. I am naught but the woman you kissed."

He grabbed her arm and whirled her about. "But it does to me. I care how you feel, Em. Please, tell me...knowing what I just told you about, will you still want to marry me?"

She held his gaze for a solid minute.

"Will your parents allow me to step back?"

"What do you mean? They're not here. But I believe they would want us to go through with it."

"Then you have your answer. Good day to you, Sir Gideon."
***

Meanwhile...

Dathan and Alexi had managed to bribe the receptionist and had gotten inside the registry.

"I can buy you a few hours but you have to leave before the sun sets." She told them.

"We shall be gone by then." Alexi said and flashed her a daring smile. "If we could have the room please?"

She nodded and bowed before leaving the room. Once the door has closed they went into work.

"Your brother once told me how bad Gideon's past was."

Dathan nodded, "He was a rake. A discreet, skirt chasing rake, he was. Most people would say he was merely seeing a lover or two but we knew the truth. Unfortunately, the man decided to change and lived a different life now."

"Hmm...I would like to congratulate him for the decision but one good deed cannot cover up a bad one."

"I agree. Now, where should we start?"

"We find all the B's and sort it out."

Dathan made his way down a hallway and looked up. It was not a big room and there were just five shelves in here. "This way."

Alexi grabbed a ladder and began to climb up. He took all five ledgers and threw it down, Dathan caught them and began to peruse the pages. Ignoring the dust and smell of the papers, they flipped each one without saying a word.

After what seemed liked eons, Alexi found something.

"Dathan, look." He called to him. "Barfields...four of them were registered here and possibly still lived within the area."

"Four families. These addresses are quite far from each other. They were probably not a close knit one." He grabbed a pen and quill then began to copy the information. "I can take these two," he pointed to a Lawrence and Laurell Barfield, "they lived the farthest but I can reach them faster on horseback. You can take Noel and Carlisle Barfield. I recognize the streets, it's within the city. Take one of my men to show you the fastest route."

"Understood." Alexi pocketed the paper and together they returned the ledgers back in place.

They were on their way out when the door burst open. Both men stopped on their tracks.

"My lord, you must leave. Now!" It was the receptionist that they paid. "Someone called for the officer in charge and he is now on his way here."

"Is there a back door?" Alexi asked.

She nodded and went to cabinet. There, she pulled out a lever and a hidden door emerged behind a wall. "This will take you on the other side of the building. Its a narrow hallway but can fit one person at a time."

"Thank you."

Alexi went in but Dathan held back. "What about you?"

The receptionist shook her head, "They will not find you in here. I can lie about the tip off. Worry not about me."

"Are you certain? We can take you with us."

"Thank you but...I'd rather not be mixed in with your situation."

"I understand. But if you need help send word to me.." he gave her his business card. "And thank you for helping us. You are doing the right thing."

She merely took the card, slipped it on her pocket and pulled the false wall close. Dathan was enveloped in darkness but he could hear the footsteps clamoring in.

"...where is he?!" Asked an angry voice.

"Where is who, sir? I am alone in here." Replied the receptionist. "Are you looking for someone?"

"I got a tip off that someone had come into my office without legal authorization."

"That is troubling but there really is no one here but me. As you can see."

Dathan heard nothing from the man and the room had gotten quite. He sighed with relief. It was safe to go.

He felt his way round until he could see a distant light up ahead. When he finally emerged, he saw Alexi waiting for him on this narrow passage.

"Is she alright?"

Dathan nodded.

"Good. I shall send for my men to watch over her in the meantime. She saved our asses, its the least I could do for her safety. And I ought to add more gold in her bribe."

"You and your princely gold."

"Can't help it. I do have a lot." Alexi found himself on the other side of the street and his valet not far from where they were. The man saw him and immediately pulled the carriage towards his master. "My good man Barkley is coming. Hop in and we'll gather your horse back then we can go our separate ways."
***

By noon time, Alexi and Dathan had reached their first house.

Lawrence Barfield's residence was no longer in his name. The current homeowner was a distant relative who inherited the house and told them that the old man had died. They were also told that he never had any children.

Laurell on the other hand was still alive.

"Lord Wiston shall join you in a few moments." Said a servant as she led Dathan into the parlor. He was notified that Laurell was a Baron. A poor one at that.

While he waited, he noticed a family portrait hanging up above the fire place. In it were two boys, the family pet cat then behind them were a man and a woman. He came closer and realized it was a family painting and the boys were obviously siblings—twins to be exact.

A soft cough broke his train of thoughts. He turned around and faced an aged man stiffly standing on the doorway.

"I was told I have a visitor." He said in a calm, deep voice. "Who might you be?"

"I apologize for the sudden visit, my lord. My name is Dathan Davensport. My father is the late Duke of Hinley."

Laurell did not appear to recognize the name but he offered him a seat. "Can I offer you something?"

"Thank you but I am fine."

"Very well, what might this old man be of service to you."

Dathan decided to cut to the chase and speak his mind. "I am looking for a certain person—a lady. We believe she holds the answers that could help me and my family. Have you, by any chance, had a daughter?"

Laurell's eyes became alert. "Beg your pardon?"

"I...this is difficult but I need to find her and ask some questions about her past lover. I only know of her family name but nothing about her at all." Dathan rubbed his hands and hoped that he did not scare the man away. "I found your address on the city registry."

"Young man, I believe what you did is illegal. Why would you pry into my residence like that? Am I some kind of spectacle that you can visit anytime you like?" He scoffed. "What is wrong with the young ones these days, showing up uninvited and rude..." Laurell turned to his cabinet and began to pour himself a drink.

Dathan stood up and grabbed his arm, "I rode by horseback, non-stop just to reach your house, my lord. That is how desperate I am. If you could just answer my question then I shall be gone."

"How dare you lay your hands on me!" Laurell roared and pushed him back. Dathan was thrown into the couch. "Who are you exactly? And how did you know about Gwyneth?!"

Dathan blinked, "Gwyneth? She is your daughter, is she not?"

The old man realized that he had slipped. Anger disappeared from his face and was replaced with worry. "She...was."

"What happened to her? And where is she now?"

"I do not know." Laurell began to cry and sank into a nearby chair. "She just fled one day and never returned."

"Please, tell me about Gwyneth. Perhaps, I can help you find her."

"It all started with the doctor. He said he was going to help my Gwyneth and that he has the funds to do so, since his sponsors are rich. But...I never got my daughter back."

"Doctor? Which doctor?"

"Doctor Kemps.." Laurell said between sobs, "I believe he was a private physician for a wealthy noble family. But that was all a faćade. He was merely being paid to cover up for murders."

Dathan gulped down. "What murders?"

"The doctor would abort children. Specifically the ones born out of wedlock. And if they managed to survive, he would sell them up for adoption."

Alexi was right. Doctor Kemps was being protected.

"Did you know who has been protecting Doctor Kemps?"

"Yes. Yes, I do."

Moments later, Dathan left Laurell's house and rode back to the city. He had gotten enough information to help Em break the engagement.

While he rode back, a shadow looked at his direction before going into the baron's house.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

162K 4.6K 22
Seven years ago, Tristan Knight walked away from the love of his life, Serenity Harris, without a word or a backwards glance. No goodbye. No Dear Joh...
227K 13.1K 60
"A single night can change the course of your entire life." . . . [Yandere Prince x Female Reader] Once upon a time, in the tiny kingdom of Vascini...
67.3K 1.2K 37
"Why-why is he here?" I asked slightly feeling panicked. "Your father, Step- father owes me money. 36 million pounds to be exact." Stefan said as he...
102K 6.6K 44
Completed ✨👸🏼 Born to the fairy elite, the royal line, next in line to take the crown, a queen to be announced on her next birthday, with her royal...