Can't Help Falling in Love

By daddyyderek

Derek Shepherd, Neurosurgeon. Meredith Grey, first grade teacher. What happens when their worlds collide? AU... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
Epilogue

66

699 17 1
By daddyyderek

"Derek."

A voice was saying his name and someone was shaking him, but he didn't want to wake up. His first solo surgery the day before had been completely long, and Meredith had come home complaining of swollen ankles, so he'd made her dinner and given her a long foot rub. But now he wanted to sleep, and he couldn't ignore his pregnant wife shaking him violently.

"Derek," she insisted, punching his shoulder. "Wake up. Right now, you have to wake up."

"What do you need?" he murmured without opening his eyes. "Tacos? Chocolate milk?"

"What?" she frowned. Or at least he thought she frowned. He still hadn't opened his eyes.

"Craving," he murmured. "I'll get you whatever you want. Unless it's chocolate covered pickles again."

"No," she cried, tugging on his hand. "I feel them."

"Feel what?"

"Your children."

"What?" Derek asked, suddenly wide awake as he sat up quickly. "Where? When? What's it feel like?"

"They woke me up," she said, moving his hand to the top of her stomach. "Do you feel that?"

"No," he frowned. "What's it feel like?"

"I don't know," she said, a soft smile on her face as she stared down at her belly. "It's... bubbly."

"Bubbly?"

"It's the only word I can think of," she giggled. "They're not kicking. It's kind of like they're...swimming or something. In my stomach."

"They're not strong enough for me to feel yet," he sighed. "I hate not feeling them. It's not fair."

"You'll feel soon," she promised.

"Hmm," Derek nodded. "I'll ask Dr. White later."

"She said you've been stalking her," Meredith giggled. "You're not exactly stealth, Der."

"It's not stalking when you have an appointment," Derek protested. "It was last on the list."

"It is when you slide a five page list of questions and concerns under the door of her office."

"She wasn't supposed to tell you that."

"She did one better," Meredith giggled, reaching into her dresser and pulling a pile of papers out. "And I can't believe you asked her for sex positions that are safe for the babies."

"I don't want to hurt them," Derek protested.

"Whatever," she sighed, getting out of bed.

"Where are you going?" Derek frowned.

"Getting ready," Meredith replied. "Our appointment's in an hour and a half. There's a reason I woke you up."

"Since you just felt my babies move, I'll forgive you for making an eight thirty doctor's appointment," he sighed.

"Stop being a baby," she giggled. "I made it early so I can be at work by third period classes."

"I still don't like that you're still working," he frowned as he followed her into the bathroom.

"I'm only four months," she shrugged around her toothbrush. "It's fine. I sit most of the time."

"Yes, the place where you got held hostage by a crazy girl with a gun," Derek said. "That's exactly where I want my wife and babies to go everyday. It scares me, Mer. I can't help it."

"I'm not going to be scared to go to school," Meredith shook her head. "The students are still scared, they don't need their teacher to be scared too. There's a lot more security now."

"You're right," he sighed, moving to turn on the shower. "Let's hurry so we can find out if our babies are boys or girls."

"Hmm," Meredith smiled, kissing him softly. "Make me breakfast and I'll love you forever?"

"And here I thought you had already promised me that," Derek laughed. "I guess that wasn't what our wedding was about."

"Just go," Meredith giggled.

"Love you," Derek called over his shoulder.

XXXXX

"You're sure you couldn't tell from the last sonogram and you just aren't telling me?" Meredith asked.

"How could I possibly hide something like this from you?" Derek asked with a frown. "Why would I?"

"You didn't tell me when you turned down chief resident," Meredith said softly without looking at him.

"That's...different," Derek sighed. "How mad are you? Am I sleeping on the couch now?"

"Not mad," she shook her head. "Just...curious. Addison told me yesterday. Why'd you do it?"

"I was going to tell you," he sighed. "But you were so tired yesterday, I didn't want to bring you down."

"You should have told me," she whispered. "Is it because of the babies?"

"Not in a bad way," Derek admitted. "It's because I want to be a good father. That won't happen if I'm here until midnight coordinating schedules."

Before Meredith could respond, a nurse called her name and she stood, clutching Derek's hand tightly.

"Alright, I see we're just here for a sonogram?" the nurse said with a smile.

"Yes," Meredith said as Derek helped her onto the table. "To find out the sex."

"Dr. White will be right in," the nurse smiled. "Good luck."

"Derek," Meredith breathed as soon as the door closed. "You can't give things up for us. You'll end up resenting us."

"No," Derek shook his head. "Head resident is too much. It's leading up to being chief of surgery which is something I'll never want."

"Are you sure?" Meredith asked.

"Positive," Derek nodded, kissing her softly. "I'd much rather stay home with you and the babies than deal with the hospital board."

"Okay," Meredith smiled. "Me too."

Dr. White interrupted their moment by walking into the room, smiling widely. "Hello, Shepherds," she smiled. "Big day."

"It is," Derek smiled, squeezing Meredith's had. "We're ready."

"Alright," Dr. White said, pushing Meredith's shirt over the bump to rest just under her breasts, pushing her pants down to under her belly so she could spread the gel. "Here we go."

Meredith squeezed Derek's hand as their babies appeared on the screen, and she heard her husband gasp as one baby appeared on the screen. "What?" she asked.

"That's our daughter, Mer," he whispered. "Baby A. Our baby girl."

"Oh my God," she whispered, tears filling her eyes as she stared at the baby on the screen. "Hi sweetheart."

"My little princess," Derek breathed.

"Here's Baby B," Dr. White smiled, moving the probe to the other side of Meredith's stomach. "Another healthy girl."

"Two girls?" Meredith whispered. "Oh, Derek, she's perfect. Hi sweetie."

"She is," Derek whispered. "My beautiful little butterfly."

"Butterfly?" Meredith giggled.

"Well, they can't both be my princess," Derek smiled, kissing her softly.

"You've been thinking about this," Meredith giggled.

"Hmm," Derek nodded. "Girls, Mer."

"Two perfect little girls," Dr. White interjected. "Meredith, has there been any pain? Bleeding? Contractions?"

"No," Meredith shook her head, her eyes still trained on the screen. "Oh," she breathed as she watched them roll together, their hands touching. "I felt that. Derek, I felt that, and I saw it."

"It's amazing," Derek murmured. "Look, Mer. They're holding hands."

"They're so beautiful," Meredith whispered. "My beautiful little girls."

"They're perfect," Derek agreed.

"Here are some pictures," Dr. White smiled. "As well as a DVD."

"DVD?" Meredith repeated.

"So you can watch whenever you want," Dr. White smiled. "Now I won't need to see you for another few months, when you're starting the third trimester. Unless there are any problems of course. But at that point we'll discuss whether bed rest is necessary and your birth plan."

"Okay," Meredith smiled.

"Thank you, Dr. White," Derek breathed.

"Of course, Dr. Shepherd," she smiled. "I'll leave you two alone."

"Girls," Meredith whispered. "Look at our baby girls."

"They need names," Derek said.

"We have to call Mom," Meredith breathed. "And get the nursery ready."

"Mer," Derek breathed. "Thank you."

"Thank you," Meredith breathed. "Derek, I never thought anyone would ever love me, let alone give me babies. So thank you. I love you so much."

"I love you too," Derek smiled. "All three of my girls."

XXXXX

"Stephanie," Meredith suggested around her spoon later that night, a baby name book open on her swollen stomach as Derek massaged her swollen feet.

"Maybe," Derek nodded. "Lauren."

"Leah."

"Laura."

"Elizabeth."

"Hmm," Derek said. "We'll put it on the short list. Sherri."

"Jocelyn."

"Hannah."

"Valerie."

"Katherine."

"Katherine Shepherd," Meredith breathed. "Katie. Definitely on the short list."

"Good," Derek smiled. "Karyn."

"Tanya."

"This is going to take us forever, isn't it?" Derek sighed.

"Not one name, but two," Meredith sighed.

"At least we won't have to choose between our two favorites," he pointed out.

"Very true," Meredith smiled, rubbing her stomach. "Who's that?" she asked as the doorbell rang.

"I don't know," he sighed "I'll go see."

"I'll keep looking up names," Meredith said. "Kelly?"

"Maybe," Derek laughed as he moved towards the front door.

Meredith giggled as she dug back into her ice cream, frowning when she heard Mark's panicking voice from the hallway, her husband's calming voice mixed in. She started to pull herself off the couch, stopping when Derek led Mark into the living room.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"Addison's pregnant," Derek murmured.

"So...why's Mark here?"

"Because she wants to raise the kid alone," Mark snapped.

"Apparently Mark had a ring," Derek explained. "But she thought he was proposing because he found the pregnancy test. Which he didn't even know existed."

"Oh," Meredith nodded, biting her lower lip for a moment. "Mark...do you want to be involved?"

"What the hell kind of question is that?" Mark snapped.

"Don't yell at her," Derek replied.

"Derek," Meredith rolled her eyes. "Mark?"

"Of course," Mark breathed. "Addie...she's everything. She's having my baby, and God I want to be there for her. For everything."

"So tell her," Meredith shrugged. "Keep marriage out of it. Bring it up later, when she knows that you really want to be here for her and the baby."

"And just think," Derek laughed. "If you have a son, he can marry one of my daughters. Emily."

"Definitely not," Meredith shook her head, wrapping a protective arm over her stomach. "Erin's not marrying a Sloan."

"Not Erin," Derek shook his head.

"You two are disgusting," Mark announced.

"Give it a couple months," Derek laughed. "You and Addison will be doing the same thing."

"I hope so," Mark breathed. "Shit, Shep, how did we end up like this?"

"We fell in love," Derek shrugged. "And now I have two little angels coming into the world."

"You're pathetic."

"Maybe," Derek smiled, bringing Meredith into his arms and rubbing her stomach. "But I've got the three prettiest girls in the entire world."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

379K 20.4K 51
Harper Talbot is a painfully shy bookstore owner in the town of Black Wood Falls. She has built a name for herself among the rare book collectors as...
981K 30.4K 61
Dans un monde où le chaos et la violence étaient maitre, ne laissant place à ne serrait ce qu'un soupçon d'humanité. Plume était l'exception. Elle...
1.4M 31.2K 22
Where Taehyung has an explicit dream about hooking up with one of his best friends, Jeon Jeongguk, just before he's about to set off on a week long v...
5.2M 464K 96
✫ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐆𝐞𝐧'𝐬 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐚 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎ She is shy He is outspoken She is clumsy He is graceful...