GINGERSNAPS

By theginger412

Olivia Evans, who was given up at birth by her mother, Petunia, later finds out that she is a witch. Just whe... More

1. The Past meets The Future
2. Settling In
3. Lemonade
4. Flash
5. Captured Moments
6. Breaking Through
7. Scolded
8. Beaten Up
9. Petrified
10. Safe
11. Leaky Cauldron
12. Respects
13. Challenged
14. Slashed
15. Mischief Managed
16. Yearbook
17. Bring The Lion Out
18. The Cup
19. Moony
20. Contact
21. Toffee
22. Strawberry Ice Cream
23. The World Cup
24. Her Heart
25. Moody
26. The Tournament
27. Her Name
28. Her Wand
29. Her Dragon
30. The First Task
31. Her Flame
32. Love Potion
33. The Yule Ball
34. The Second Task
35. Birthdays
36. The Third Task
37. Graveyard
38. Her Friend
39. In Memory
40. Grimmauld Place
41. Pieces of Her
42. Inked
43. Lavender Tea
44. Uncle
45. Firewhiskey
46. Ministry of Magic
47. The Hearing
48. Treacle Tart
49. Evans
50. Her Boggart
51. Kings Cross
52. Bloody Mess
53. Skeleton
54. Playing with Fire
55. Last, First Match
56. Attacked
57. St. Mungos
58. Honey
59. P for Percy
60. Drooble's Best Blowing Gum
61. Her Letters and Feathers
62. Occlumency
63. Not Tonight
64. Cornish Pixies
65. Red Lace
66. Yellow Paint
67. Sacked
68. Changes and Captures
70. Adventure's End
71. Blowing Kisses
72. Stunned
73. Evans
74. Her Death
75. Cracks In Their World
76. From The Ashes
77. Her Funeral
78. Her First
79. Broomsticks & Sunsets
80. The Return
81. Scars
82. Permission
83. Paints and Pranks
84. Red
85. Normal
86. Vials and Stakes
87. Blood Oath
88. Arm Sling
89. Trunk of Photos
90. Never Know
91. In This Life
92. Melted Metal

69. Style

1.6K 57 0
By theginger412

It took no time before Umbridge hauled her and Harry through the door to the headmasters office. The room was full of people.

Dumbledore sat behind his desk his expression serene, the tips of his long fingers together. Professor McGonagall stood rigidly beside him, her face extremely tense. Cornelius Fudge was rocking backward and forward on his toes beside the fire, apparently immensely pleased with the situation.

Kingsley and a tough looking wizard Olivia did not know, with very short wiry hair were positioned on with side of the door like guards. Percy hovered excitedly beside the wall, a quill and a heavy scroll of parchment in his hands.

The portraits stared and whispered, as Olivia walked out of Umbridge's grasp. Harry did the same. Fudge glared at him with a vicious satisfaction on his face, and Olivia stepped into his line of vision, folding her arms over her chest.

"Well," said Fudge, "well well well..."

Olivia stared the man down with a cold face that only could revival her Dads.

"They were found together heading to their common rooms." Said Umbridge, "The Malfoy boy cornered them."

"Did he?" Said Fudge, "I must remember to tell Lucius. Well, Potter, Evans I expect you know why you are here?"

Harry opened to answer, but Olivia cleared her throat, giving him time to notice the slight shake of Dumbledore's head.

"No," said Harry.

"I beg your pardon?" Said Fudge.

"He said No, we don't know why we are here." Spoke Olivia.

"You don't know why you are here?"

"No, I don't." Said Harry. Fudge looked to Olivia.

"Like he said," she said sharply.

Fudge looked to Umbridge, Olivia caught the slight wink that Dumbledore threw their way.

"So you have no idea," said Fudge, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Why Professor Umbridge has brought you both to this office? You are not aware that you both have broken any school rules?"

"School rules? No." Olivia answered for them.

"Or Ministry decrees?" Amended Fudge angrily

"Not that we're aware of," said Harry looking to Olivia, who shook her head no, agreeing with Harry.

"So it's news to you both is it," said Fudge, "that an illegal student organization has been discovered within this school?"

"Yes it is," said Harry displaying a brilliant act of surprised innocence on his face.

"That is news to me, sir," said Olivia shocked.

"I think, Minister," said Umbridge "we might make better progress if I fetch our informant."

"Yes yes do," said Fudge nodding glancing at Dumbledore, "There's nothing like a good witness is there Dumbledore?"

"Nothing at all, Cornelius," said Dumbledore gravely inclining his head.

That had to wait several minutes in which no one spoke or looked at each other. Olivia rolled back onto her heels then to her toes. "Lovely weather we're having isn't it?" She said trying to cut the silence.

McGonagall gave her a stern look at her, Dumbledore smirked barely, while the others ignored her. The door opened up behind them, as Umbridge gripped the shoulder of Marietta- Cho Chang's curly haired friend. The girl was hiding her face in her hands.

"Don't be scared, dear, don't be frightened," said Umbridge softly patting her back. "It's quite all right now. You have done the right thing. The minister is very pleased with you. He'll be telling your mother what a good girl you've been. Marietta's mother, Minister," she added, looking up to Fudge, "is Madam Edgecombe from the Department of Magical Transportation. Floor network office- she's been helping us police the Hogwarts fires you know."

"Jolly good jolly good!" Said Fudge, "like mother like daughter, eh? We'll come on now dear look up don't be shy let's hear what you've got to- galloping gargoyles!"

As Marietta raised her head, Fudge leapt backwards in shock, nearly landing himself in the fire.

Olivia took the opportunity and unnoticeably pointed a single finger to the flame, shifting it to catch light on Fudges cloak. He cursed and stamped on the hem of his cloak, that had started to smoke.

Marietta gave a wail and pulled the neck of her robes right up to her eyes but not before the whole room had seen that her face was horribly disfigured by a series of close set purple pustules that had spread across her nose and cheeks to form the word "SNEAK."

Olivia had to bite down on the inside of her cheek from bursting out laughing. "Nevermind the spots now dear." Said Umbridge, "just take your robes away from your mouth and tell the minister-"

Marietta wailed again and shook her head frantically.

"Oh very well you silly girl, I'll tell him." Snapped Umbridge, Olivia was praying she hadn't handed Fred her camera before running off. She would have loved to capture the moment.

"We'll Minister, Miss Edgecombe here came fo my office shortly after dinner this evening and told me she had something she wanted to tell me. She said that if I proceeded to a secret room on the seventh floor sometimes known as the Room of Requirement, I would find out something to my advantage. I questioned her a little further and she admitted that there was to be some kind of meeting there. Unfortunately at the point this hex," she said waving towards Marietta concealed face. " came into operation and upon catching side of her face in my mirror the girl became too distressed too tell me anymore."

"Well now," said Fudge, "It is very brave of you, my dear, coming to tel Professor Umbridge you did exactly the right thing. Now will you tell me what happened at this meeting? What was its purpose? Who was there?"

Marietta did not speak only shaking her head again.

"Haven't we got a counterjinx for this?" Said Fudge to Umbridge gesturing towards Marietta. "So she can speak freely?"

"I have not yet managed to find one," said Umbridge, Olivia made a mental not to get Hermione to teach her that one later. "But it doesn't matter if she won't speak I can take up the from here."

"You will remember Minister that I sent you a report back in October that Potter had met a number of fellow students in the Hogs head in Hogsmeade-"

"And what is your evidence for that?" Cut in McGonagall.

"I have testimony from Willy Widdershins, Minerva, who happened fo be in the bar at the time. He heard every word Potter said and hastened straight to the school to report to me-" said Umbridge

"Oh, so that's why he wasn't prosecuted for setting up all those regurgitating toilets!" Said Professor McGonagall, raising her eyebrows. "What an interesting insight into our justice system!"

Olivia felt nothing but pride swell in her chest. "Blatant corruption!" Roared a portrait behind Dumbledores desk. "The Ministry did not cut deals with petty criminals in my day no sir they did not!"

"Thank you, Fortescue that will do," said Dumbledore softly.

"The purpose of Potters meeting with these students," continued Umbridge, "was to persuade them to join an illegal society, whose aim was to learn spells and curses the Ministry has decided are inappropriate for school age-"

"I think you'll find you're wrong there, Dolores," said Dumbledore quietly, peering over his glasses. Olivia didn't like the sound of that one bit.

"Oho!" Said Fudge, "yes do let's hear the latest cock-and bull story designed to pull Potter out of trouble! Go on then, Dumbledore, go on- Willy Widdershins was lying was he? Or was it Potters identical twin in the Hogs Head that day? Or is there the usual simple explanation involving a reversal of time a dead man coming back to life and a couple of invisible dementors?"

Percy let out a laugh, cut off with a choking sound as Olivia glared him down.

"Cornelius, I do not deny- and nor I am sure does Harry- that he was in Hogs head that day, nor that he was trying to recruit students to a defense against the dark arts group. I am merely pointing out that Dolores is quite wrong to suggest that such a group was at that time illegal. If you remember, the Ministry decree banning all student societies was not put into effect until two days after Harry's Hogsmeade meeting so he was not breaking any rules in the Hogs head at all."

"Boom!" Olivia shouted, earning a glare from Fudge.

"That's all very fine Headmaster," said Umbridge smiling sweetly, "But we are now nearly six months on from the introduction of Educational decree Number twenty four. If the first meeting was not illegal, all those that have happened since most certainly are."

"Well," said Dumbledore surveying her with polite interest over the top of his interlocked fingers, "they certainly would be if they had continued after the decree came into effect. Do you have any evidence that these meetings continued?"

Olivia felt the shift of wind, like those of a birds wings, against her side but she did not look down.

"Evidence?" Said Umbridge with that toad like smile. "Have you not been listening Dumbledore? Why do you think Miss Edgecombe is here?"

"Oh can she tell us about six months worth of meetings?" Said Dumbledore raising his brows. "I was under the impression that she was merely reporting a meeting tonight."

"Miss Edgecombe," said Umbridge "tell us how long these meetings have been going in dead. You can simply nod or shake your head. I'm sure that won't make the spots worse. Have they been happening regularly over the last six months?"

Everyone gazed down at Marietta, her eyes only visible, the rest of her face covered by the collar of her shirt. She shook her head. Umbridge looked to Fudge.

"I don't think you understood the question did you? I'm asking whether you've been going to these meetings for the past six months? You have, haven't you?"

Again, the girl shook her head. Olivia hid her smirk. "What do you mean by shaking your head dear?" Said Umbridge in a testy voice.

"I would have thought her meaning was quite clear," said Professor McGonagall harshly. "There have been no secret meetings for the past six months. Is that correct Miss Edgecombe?"

Marietta nodded.

"But there was a meeting tonight!" Said Umbridge furiously. "There was a meeting, Miss Edgecombe you told me about it, in the Room of Requirement! And Potter was the leader, was he not, Potter organized it, Potter- why are you shaking your head girl?"

"Well, usually when a person shakes their head," said McGonagall coldly, "they mean no. So unless Miss Edgecombe is using a form of sign language as yet unknown to humans-"

Olivia loved that woman! But before she could cheer Minnie on, Umbridge seized the girl making her face her, shaking Marietta very hard.

Olivia moved towards them, Kingsley doing the same. Dumbledore was on his feet, his wand raised. Umbridge leapt back from Marietta, waving her hands in the air as though they had been burned.

"I cannot allow you to manhandle my students, Dolores." Said Dumbledore looking angry.

"You want to calm yourself Madam Umbridge." Said Kingsley in his deep slow voice. "You don't want to get yourself into trouble now."

"No," said Umbridge breathlessly, glancing up at the towering figure of Kingsley. "I mean yes, you're right Shacklebolt- I-I forgot myself."

"Dolores," said Fudge, "the meeting tonight- the one we know definitely happened-"

"Yes," said Umbridge pulling herself together. "Yes... we'll Miss Edgecombe tipped me off and I proceeded at once to the seventh floor accompanied by certain trustworthy students, so as to catch those in the meeting red handed. It appears that they were forewarned of my arrival however because when we reached the seventh floor they were running in every direction. It does not matter however, I have all their names here, Miss Parkinson ran into the Room of Requirement for me to see if they had left anything behind... we needed evidence and the room provided.."

To Olivia's horror, she withdrew from her pocket the list of names that had been pinned upon the Room of Requirements wall and handed it to Fudge.

"The moment I saw Potters name on the list I knew what we were dealing with." She said softly.

"Excellent," said a Fudge smiling, "Excellent, Dolores. And by thunder..."

He looked up up at Dumbledore who was still standing beside Marietta his wand held loosely in his hand.

"See what they've named themselves?" Said Fudge quietly, "Dumbledore's Army."

Dumbledore reached out and took the parchment form Fudge, he gazed at the heading scribbled and for a moment seemed unable to speak. Then he looked up smiling, and Olivia's heart dropped.

"Well, the game is up." He said simply, "Would you like a written confession from me Cornelius or will a statement before these witness suffice?"

Olivia glanced at him and then to McGonagall who was looking at Kingsley. Fear was in both their faces.

"Statement? What- I don't-?" Said Fudge

"Dumbledore's Amry, Cornelius," said Dumbledore still smiling, waving the list of names in Fudges face. "Not Potters Army or Evans Army, Dumbledore's Army."

"But- but-"

Understanding blazed suddenly in Fudges face. He took a horrified step back and Olivia not having to make the fire light on him, because he had fell back so far into it, making him Yelp jumping form the fireplace.

"You?" He whispered stampeding in his cloak again.

"That's right." Said Dumbledore pleasantly

"You organized this?"

"I did," said Dumbledore

"You recruited these students for- for your army?"

"Tonight was supposed to be the first meeting." Said Dumbledore nodding. "Merely to see whether they would be interested in joining me. I see now that it was a mistake to invite Miss Edgecombe of course."

Marietta nodded.

"Then you have been plotting against me!" Shouted Fudge.

"That's right." Said Dumbledore cheerfully, Olivia knew it before he said anything that he was going to take the fall for this and a long fall it would be.

"NO!" Yelled Harry, Olivia stepped forward and wrapped an arm around him, pulling him back. "No- Professor Dumbledore!"

"Harry, stop." Olivia spoke softly.

"Be quiet Harry or I am afraid you will have to leave my office." Said Dumbledore

"Yes shut up Potter!" Barked Fudge, "Well well well I came here tonight expecting to expel Potter and Instead-"

"Instead you get to arrest me," said Dumbledore smiling. "It's like losing a Knut and finding a Galleon isn't it?"

"Weasley!" Cried Fudge, "Weasley have you written it all down everything he's said his confession have you got it?"

"Yes sir I think so sir!" Said Percy eagerly

"The but about how he's been trying to build up an army against the ministry how he's been working to destabilize me?"

"Yes so I've got it yes!"

"Very well then," said Fudge, "Duplicate your notes Weasley and send a copy to the Daily Prophet at once. If we send a fast owl we should make the morning edition!" Percy dashed from the room, Fudge turned back to Dumbledore "You will now be escorted back to the Ministry where you will be formally charged and then sent to Azkaban to await trail!"

"Ah," said Dumbledore "yes yes I thought we might hit that little snag."

"Snag? I see no snag Dumbledore!" Said Fudge

"Well, I'm afraid I do," said Dumbledore

"Oh really?"

"Well- it's just that you seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am going to -what's the phrase?"

"Come quietly," Olivia answered.

"Oh yes 'come quietly,' thank you Ollie, I'm afraid I am not going to come quietly at all, Cornelius. I have absolutely no intention of being sent to Azkaban. I could break out of course- but what a waste of time and frankly I can think of a whole host of things I would rather be doing." Said Dumbledore

The other man that guarded the door moved a hand towards his pocket. "Don't be silly Dawlish," said Dumbledore kindly. "I'm sure you are an excellent Auror I seem to remember that you achieved Outstanding in all your NEWTs but if you attempt to -er- bring me in by force I will have to hurt you."

"So," sneered Fudge, "you intend to take on Dawlish, Shacklebolt, Dolores, and myself single handed do you Dumbledore?"

"Merlins beard no," said Dumbledore smiling, "not unless you are foolish enough to force me to."

"He will not be single handed!" Said McGonagall loudly grabbing for her wand.

"Oh yes he will Minerva!" Said Dumbledore sharply. "Hogwarts needs you!"

"Enough of this rubbish!" Said Fudge pulling out his wand. "Dawlish! Shacklebolt! Take him!"

A streak of silver light flashed around the room. Olivia pulled Harry down to the floor shielding him with her body. Someone had covered Olivias body on the floor. A second flash went off- several portraits yelled. Fawkes screeched and a cloud of dust filled the air. Olivia and Harry started coughing.

They saw a dark figure fall to the ground with a crash, there was shriek and a thud, someone cried "No!" Then the sound of breaking glass scuffling footsteps with a grunt, and silence.

Olivia struggled to move to see what had happened. McGonagall had shielded Olivia from the commotion. The teacher had must of grabbed Marietta too, seeing that she was crouched down next to them.

Through the dust she seen a tall figure moving forward. "Are you all right?" Said Dumbledore

"Yes!" Said McGonagall getting up pulling up Olivia Harry and then Marietta with her.

The dust started to clear and the aftermath could be seen. The desk was turned over, the tables knocked to the floor. Fudge, Umbridge, Kingsley, and Dawlish laid motionless on the floor. Fawkes soared in wide circles above them singing softly.

"Unfortunately I had to hex Kingsley too, or it would have looked very suspicious." Said Dumbledore in a low voice. "He was remarkably quick on the uptake modifying Miss Edgecombe's memory like that while everyone was looking the other way- thank him for me, won't you Minerva?"

"Now, they will all awake very soon and it will be best if they do not know that we had time to communicate- you must act as though no time has passed, as though they were merely knocked to the ground they will not remember-"

"Where will you go, Dumbledore?" Whispered McGonagall. "Grimmauld place?"

"Oh no," said Dumbledore with a grin smile. "I am not leaving to go into hiding. Fudge will soon wish he'd never dislodged me from Hogwarts I promise you.."

"Professor Dumbledore..." Harry began.

"Listen to me Harry," Dumbledore said urgently. "You must study Occlumency as hard as you can, do you understand me? Do everything Professor Snape tells you and practice if particularly every night before sleeping so that you can close your mind to bad dreams- you will understand why soon enough but you must promise me-"

Dawlish started to stir, Dumbledore seized Harry's wrist. "Remember- close your mind-" Harry suddenly looked in pain. "You will understand." Dumbledore turned to Olivia. "Stay close to him, Ollie." He whispered, Olivia nodded.

Fawkes circled the office and swooped low over him, Dumbledore released Harry, raised his hand and grasped the phoenixs long golden tail. There was a flash of fire and the pair of them had gone.

"Where is he?" Yelled Fudge, pushing himself up from the ground. "Where is he?"

"I don't know!" Shouted Kingsley also leaping to his feet.

"Well, he can't have disapparated!" Cried Umbridge "you can't inside this school-"

"The stairs!" Cried Dawlish who hurried out the door, followed by Kingsley and Umbridge. Fudge hesitated, dusting off his robes.

"Well Minerva I'm afraid this is the bed of your friend Dumbledore." Said Fudge.

"You think so do you?" Said McGonagall scornfully

But Fudge ignored her, looking around the office. "You better get those three off to bed," he said with a dismissive nod.

McGonagall said nothing but marched them to the door, once it was closed behind them, they heard the voice of Phineas Nigellus.

"You know Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts... but you cannot deny he's got style..."

Olivia smirked, as she left the tower.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

214 8 7
DISCONTINUED FOR NOW Evangeline Weasley is the sixth born of the Weasley children. After the war she is living with her boyfriend Nathan. Her family...
519K 14.6K 52
*WARNING! This book contains mature themes such as drinking, drug use, explicit language, mentions of suicide, sexual content, abuse, and more. Pleas...
46K 1.3K 58
"You know that boy likes you a lot." Milena felt her cheeks warm up. She couldn't put her hands over her face because of everything she was carrying...
96.7K 2.2K 36
Y/n Wood, sister of Oliver Wood, is a popular Gryffindor student with many friends at Hogwarts. Her life is going well as her bond with George Weasl...